Sign in to follow this  
treetop82

I tripled my game performance today, here is how

Edit: Yah I tripled my performance but it wasnt the aspect ratio, I'm not sure how I did it exactly.. doing research now.

Edit2: It seems to be me forcing crossfire with CCC did the trick (selecting Arma2 as the profile). I can't really turn my FPS back down, all my visual settings are back up to very high and still getting 80+ fps.

Also, GPU_maxframesahead=1 and GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1 in the DayZ config.

Edited by treetop82
  • Like 1

This may sound dumb, but I think we take for granted the idea of allowing a game to pick the proper video settings for us, unfortunately DayZ does not.

My resolution is 1920x1080, I've been playing on this resolution from Day 1. I have a 3x trifire 7970s on an I7 3.5ghz system, and my frame rates were around 30-40. This is pretty unacceptable. 

I did a bunch of tweaking using several guides you can find on the Internet, but the one setting that tripled my performance was setting the proper Aspect Ratio under Video Settings > User Interface.

Default is 4:3, but when I changed it to 10:9 (which aligns properly with the 1920x1080 resolution) my game performance went through the roof. Make sure you exit the game and come back after making those changes.

Another thing I did was force crossfire, which the DayZ engine does not use. Only one of my video cards was being used by the system. I went into CCC, setup a crossfire profile for DayZ and had it force the crossfire profile of Arma2. Now my GPUs share the load.

Sorry if this is worthless information, but I'm so happy with the performance boost I thought I'd share.

You mean 16:9? I do not have 10:9, so i hope you mean 16:9..haha.

Anyway, you think the main reason for your perfomance boost was changing the aspect ratio, or that you forced crossfire?

Well "DayZ" is using the Arma engine, which is quite poorly optimized, if you have nvidia cards I suggest using their "Ge-Force Experience" software, which will finetune DayZ to get the most performance out of your GPU. But yeah, Arma is sadly generally poorly optimized.

This may sound dumb, but I think we take for granted the idea of allowing a game to pick the proper video settings for us, unfortunately DayZ does not.

Default is 4:3, but when I changed it to 10:9 (which aligns properly with the 1920x1080 resolution) my game performance went through the roof. Make sure you exit the game and come back after making those changes.

I don't understand. You had your resolution set up wrong up until this date and are blaming it on the game?

Most of the games I launch for the first time have their settings completely wrong.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 4

I don't understand. You had your resolution set up wrong up until this date and are blaming it on the game?

Most of the games I launch for the first time have their settings completely wrong.

This is like blaming a game for not being the game you though it to be. games are how they are, they dont magically adapt to your preferences/settings, people! 

and 30-40 frames? most i ever get is 25-32, and im running on a $1500 pc. i know price doesnt mean everything, but you'd think pouring that much money down the drain on a decent system and you wouldnt have to deal with lag/frame drop so often. 

but at the end of the day, i run DayZ well enough to play it :D