XWingExecuter

Reason to Walk

Full backpack, a gun, a weapon, maybe a vest and clothing and even jogging is exhausting. You could jog 1-3km really depending on the weight but after that it can become very unpleasant.

• Like 1

Walking as a means of transportation all the time doesn't work in a video game. 

But why exactly do you not believe it would work in DayZ?  Especially if implemented smoothly like exhaustion along with all of the new stuff already slotted to go in.

But why exactly do you not believe it would work in DayZ?  Especially if implemented smoothly like exhaustion along with all of the new stuff already slotted to go in.

because no other game does it, duh  :P

It works fine. Just give it a chance

I like to live out my fantasy of being like that guy who ran a marathon every day for 100 days or so.

... my biggest pet peeve is the hill walking, on steep hills its sorta beyond silly slow.

Why dont you go outside and try to run up a 50* incline. Go ahead, ill wait....

On topic, they will be adding a stamina/load system once vehicles are in. The game is a work in progress, many core features and systems are bare bones or non-existent.

• Like 1

I've come to terms with the jogging, it keeps me from overheating and makes my weapon sway less noticeable. I also think that when they implement the stealth tactics you will see alot more people moving at a slower pace instead of sprinting through a town (which hopefully the zombie numbers will increase in these areas forcing you to take a tactical approach.) As far as the realism aspect of breaking your legs on branches and rocks and stuff, they would need to do a very good job because our control in real life is way more finely tuned that using 4 keys and a mouse (which are quite laggy) the textures in game dont allow for the ability to notice wet and slippery rocks, or branches that you can/can't step over, dont even get me started on stairs and ladders. I agree that adding physics to the game that would allow to slip and fall if you're sprinting down the road while its raining would make it more realistic, they would also need to allow you to be able to get inside one of those abandoned station wagons and hide from the zombies, because in real life, if I was outnumbered, I would hide and wait for them to pass if I didn't have the means to escape or exterminate them. Also, adding bikes and longboards and roller blades (that you can fit in your bag like boots) would be a nice reason to take the game slower, but the fear of getting sniped also keeps me from walking everywhere.

because no other game does it, duh  :P

And this is the point where DayZ could shine ;) Arma 3 already has stamina though it's pretty short term but DayZ could achieve even more because there's also food/drink system.

No, it takes way too long to get anywhere because the game is so big. I don't have 5+ hour sessions, I have a family, work, and a life. I don't have all day to walk from one town to another. 

No, it takes way too long to get anywhere because the game is so big. I don't have 5+ hour sessions, I have a family, work, and a life. I don't have all day to walk from one town to another. 

It takes literally 20 minutes to run across the entire map, mate.

Being able to go from loot center to loot center makes the game a little to easy. The game would gain alot of the survival aspect it currently lacks.

It depends on how you play the game and how long you have to play and what you want to get done.

I look at my sessions as episodes in the story of my avatar's current life. If it takes me an hour to walk somewhere it doesn't make much of a difference to me. The next day I'll pick the game back up and continue where I left off.

Let's say you survive for 3 months straight - you've been everywhere and done everything but you're alive and surviving - does it matter if it take 15 minutes or 30 to get to your next destination?

Why should you expect to be able to travel the whole map in a single play session?

If you spawn at the coast, you should be required to spend time searching for supplies at the coast before you start to make the journey in land. In the future, there are going to be a be larger server populations, more zombies, and dangerous animals to contend with. By making travel between towns an actual challenge, it adds depth to the game and more decision-making for the player.

When you finally make it to the western side of the map, it'll actually be an achievement (unless you've been lucky enough to stumble across a working vehicle near the coast).

• Like 1

It depends on how you play the game and how long you have to play and what you want to get done.

I look at my sessions as episodes in the story of my avatar's current life. If it takes me an hour to walk somewhere it doesn't make much of a difference to me. The next day I'll pick the game back up and continue where I left off.

Let's say you survive for 3 months straight - you've been everywhere and done everything but you're alive and surviving - does it matter if it take 15 minutes or 30 to get to your next destination?

Well, a few might use the option. But in all my time playing DayZ I've never seen anyone walk any considerable distance. Some jog, but most sprint.

Walking it's not going to work. Take so much time is non-viable, people would get bored very easy. Maybe if the spawns are changed and not everyone started at coasts. Maybe with a faster walking animation, but I frankly don't think it would work. Although I'm ok if sprinting it's limited in some way.

It takes literally 20 minutes to run across the entire map, mate.

I had no idea the character can run 1000m in a minute. Why the need for vehicles then? It would only slow you down!

Being able to go from loot center to loot center makes the game a little to easy. The game would gain alot of the survival aspect it currently lacks.

Walking at 5mph for 800m will kill the game. Period.

Why should you expect to be able to travel the whole map in a single play session?

If you spawn at the coast, you should be required to spend time searching for supplies at the coast before you start to make the journey in land. In the future, there are going to be a be larger server populations, more zombies, and dangerous animals to contend with. By making travel between towns an actual challenge, it adds depth to the game and more decision-making for the player.

When you finally make it to the western side of the map, it'll actually be an achievement (unless you've been lucky enough to stumble across a working vehicle near the coast).

Never said the whole map. But I would like to be able to hit a town or two within an hour or so. Also, remaining on the coast is stupid. I book it inland ASAP.

If you want to be forced to walk everywhere by the game, then walk everywhere right now as the game is. Tell me about all the super awesome fun you're having!

No one has said you should have to walk across the entire map.  Walking should be common sense when inside buildings plus it would drastically cut down on all the whining and bitching about broken legs when going up stairs.  The only time I use my sprint now is from going from cover to cover, tree line to tree line or booking across an open field to get to a tree line.  Sprinting is starting to remove your thirst faster which is awesome.  How much complaining are you guys going to make once they add the stamina and weight system?  

• Like 2

I had no idea the character can run 1000m in a minute. Why the need for vehicles then? It would only slow you down!

Walking at 5mph for 800m will kill the game. Period.

Never said the whole map. But I would like to be able to hit a town or two within an hour or so. Also, remaining on the coast is stupid. I book it inland ASAP.

If you want to be forced to walk everywhere by the game, then walk everywhere right now as the game is. Tell me about all the super awesome fun you're having!

http://www.dayztv.com/video/dayz-how-long-does-it-take-to-run-1k-jogsprint-dayz-standalone-mythbuster/

At that pace, it would take about half an hour to jog across the map, 20 minutes to do the same at a full sprint.

Plus, I already do walk next-to all the time. I like looking at the scenery. It is pretty awesome to walk along a mountain ridge, and watch the sun rise over the next ridge over a kilometer away. Of course, I have a good computer, so I can see that far....

• Like 2

No one has said you should have to walk across the entire map.  Walking should be common sense when inside buildings plus it would drastically cut down on all the whining and bitching about broken legs when going up stairs.  The only time I use my sprint now is from going from cover to cover, tree line to tree line or booking across an open field to get to a tree line.  Sprinting is starting to remove your thirst faster which is awesome.  How much complaining are you guys going to make once they add the stamina and weight system?  

I can definitely agree to the "losing water faster when sprinting" thing. I was in Novo last night, and I alternately jogged/sprinted to Turovo. I then turned around to meet up with a friend spawing into Chernanya Polana. Before I got to Cheranya Polana, I was dark red thirsty, where I was dark green hydrated in Novo.

How many players have you spotted while they were walking? How many while they were sprinting? How many times were you spotted while sprinting? How many times while moving slowly?

Walking gives you a lot of stealth. It also keeps your weapon steady. It also makes looting towns feel more tactical and immersive versus sprinting from building to building. But I guess enjoying the game instead of loot whoring for hours isn't for everyone

• Like 2

http://www.dayztv.com/video/dayz-how-long-does-it-take-to-run-1k-jogsprint-dayz-standalone-mythbuster/

At that pace, it would take about half an hour to jog across the map, 20 minutes to do the same at a full sprint.

Plus, I already do walk next-to all the time. I like looking at the scenery. It is pretty awesome to walk along a mountain ridge, and watch the sun rise over the next ridge over a kilometer away. Of course, I have a good computer, so I can see that far....

Yes, running across the NWAF takes only a couple minutes. It's a perfectly flat and smooth airstrip. 

You should post videos of your scenic walks to YouTube then. I'm sure you'll amass tens thousands of views. Since it's enjoyable, right?

Yes, running across the NWAF takes only a couple minutes. It's a perfectly flat and smooth airstrip. 

You should post videos of your scenic walks to YouTube then. I'm sure you'll amass tens thousands of views. Since it's enjoyable, right?

And I've run from Berezino to Sinistok, the town in the extreme northwest of the map, in 25 minutes. Problem?

1) I don't have  a Youtube account, and don't want one 2) YOU asked us to "walk everywhere in-game, and tell us how fun it is". I complied. No reason to get all butthurt.

• Like 1

And I've run from Berezino to Sinistok, the town in the extreme northwest of the map, in 25 minutes. Problem?

1) I don't have  a Youtube account, and don't want one 2) YOU asked us to "walk everywhere in-game, and tell us how fun it is". I complied. No reason to get all butthurt.

And how long would it take you if you walked the entire way?

So it's fun for you does not mean it's fun for all. That's the point you missed. Hardly anyone is playing DayZ to view rendered hills and trees for hours on end. If that's what you like, good for you. You can do it yourself all you want. But if the game were to force it upon the players, I promise you the game will die.

And how long would it take you if you walked the entire way?

So it's fun for you does not mean it's fun for all. That's the point you missed. Hardly anyone is playing DayZ to view rendered hills and trees for hours on end. If that's what you like, good for you. You can do it yourself all you want. But if the game were to force it upon the players, I promise you the game will die.

You WON'T be forced to walk. You can still jog and sprint, just limited by overheating and the upcoming weight and stamina system. 

• Like 2