Sign in to follow this  
darksteeljorge

PC Shutdown when playing dayz

This is new, as the title says my pc shutdown when playing dayz. I've had dayz since the first day and this past days this started to happen. Also happens with arma 3, i bought arma 3 about 2-3 months ago and after the 2nd week of having it suddlenly is shutdown.

To be more specific my monitor goes black and then my pc shutsdown, this is scary/annoying for me as I don't really know much about hardawre/software. 

I bring up that happened to me in arma 3 because during those 2-3 months i barely played dayz, most likely I didnt played it. I think it has to deal with Arma 3 and  dayz, because I havent anyother games in a while and I don't think it happens with those other games (Payday2, minecraft, rust, etc..)

This morning my pc shutdown 3 times in less than 10 minutes when playing dayz. The last shutdown was after 1-2 minutes of joining a server. This didn't happen with arma so bad. In arma 3 the worst situation was after 5-7 minutes of playing, this is 1-2 minutes!!!

I made a memmory test, and nothing, I check my temperatures and they are almost in the max, if not they are in the max when on desktop. Now I havent check them when playing but I will. 

I'm not quiet sure if the shutdowns started after setting launch parameters, but I allready got raid of them, I also edited this GPU_MaxFramesAhead=1;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=1; Expecting to get a few mor frames, I don't know if this makes a difference but I havent put it back to the default. Even thou I'm not sure if I did this before or after the first dayz shuttdown, I think it was after.

My PC is not a beast or anything like that, some of you might say it sucks, some others might say it's allright here are my specs

HD Radeon 6670 2gb
AMD Radeon FX-4100
2x4gb RAM Gskill DDR 3 

I don't know my power supply but it's 500watts

Please help me, give moe some programs to test my hardware, should I call someone that knows about pc's to help me ? I need updates ? Anything will help

-Update- I already turned my power settings from balanced to high power hoping that this helps.

-Update- 6/12/14

I realize my PSU is 300w and it says that the max is 280w (It's weird) and my mother board is GA-78LMT-USB3 from Gigabyte.which I dont know at all how good the motherboard is but I think that the PSU is knidda too low, I made a test in a web page that tells me my minimum PSU by my pc specs and my minimum should be 273w from the 280w max my PSU can run. That without taking in the 2 fans I have which I think both of them are 120mm and have red lights (not sure how much power they can take) I guess this is the problem, please give me thoughts and please tell me if my motherboard is bad, or fine, or good for gaming, just wondering. 

-Update- 7/12/14
Just bought a 550w power supply, I hope it works and fixes my problem. Thanks for all the support
Edited by Jorge_Assad

Did you alter the DayZ Task Priority? If you set it to "Real-Time" or even "Very High", your computer could shut down immediately to prevent fires.

It's probably your gpu over heating and shutting the pc down to protect itself. Used to happen to me.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1

Clean your PC!!!

If you still have issues, start looking at PSU's. 

It's probably your gpu over heating and shutting the pc down to protect itself. Used to happen to me.

What did you do to fix it ?

Clean your PC!!!

If you still have issues, start looking at PSU's. 

Whats do I clean ? how ? I got windows 8, mybe recovery is it what you mean ?

Did you alter the DayZ Task Priority? If you set it to "Real-Time" or even "Very High", your computer could shut down immediately to prevent fires.

I've seen something about tasks, I don't know very much about it, if you could please tell me how to see that ? I got windows 8

So am i supposed to have dayz in normal priority, high, very high or what ? Thank you!

Normal would be best, and to get decent frames, try high, but there's always that risk of it shutting down if you go above normal. You should be good with high though, just don't go any higher.

Whats do I clean ? how ? I got windows 8, mybe recovery is it what you mean ?

No, He means get in there physically and clean your PC, At least I think.. That's what I'd be doing anyway.. I'd reccomend using an " Air Duster " or " Canned Air " It's basically a can of compressed air, that blows at around 70 psi, and has a little straw doohickey for getting into those hard to reach places. Just be warned, The canned air can get VERY cold when using it.

Dust build-up on the heatsyncs, fans, and general airflow areas cause massive heating issues. If you clean your PC out and this continues to happens, Try using a program like Speccy to find out exactly what is over heating. 

It sounds like your PC is shutting down because something is over heating.

• Like 1

Normal would be best, and to get decent frames, try high, but there's always that risk of it shutting down if you go above normal. You should be good with high though, just don't go any higher.

Really appreciate all your help and I dont think I changed that but ill be cheking it out, cant find it jajaja

• Like 1

Really appreciate all your help and I dont think I changed that but ill be cheking it out, cant find it jajaja

Np, bro, anytime. :)

All of the above are guesses at best. I experience the same problems as many other people have. And have tried all the ideas posted above. Zero luck. It must be the way this company designed their games.

The only real answer you may get is from the feedback tracker site.

http://feedback.dayzgame.com

I am waiting on a reply from them. Upload the files they ask for and hopefully they can steer us all in the right direction.

When using canned air, do not have the PC connected to the power and do not power it back up immediately after using it.

It is fairly safe to use, but if used for longer than a few seconds on a single spot you get condensate and if the PC gets turned on immediately after that it can seriously harm it.

With me basically the vent out was blocked. So instead of hot air being expelled it was just being recirculated and the insides would get hotter and hotter until the gpu said "no more!" and shut down.

You need to open up your pc and visually check - it's probably be obvious that where the hot air is supposed to be expelled is clogged. In my case I didn't need compressed air or replacement thermal paste all I had to do is clear a blockage.

Edited by freethink

bump

"Bump" isn't really helpful. What did you do to try to resolve your problem?

When your PC shuts down for no reason, the first place you need to go is system control panel -> administrative tools -> event viewer. Report the respective shutdown event here.

Cleaning is quick and cheap, but ... +1 on checking your power supply.