Sign in to follow this  
papajo

Dayz actually becoming DayZ

Well at least in the pre alpha I feel that the game isnt about survival in a crisis or epidemic... its all about players VS players... the zombies are just there to brake your balls ( sometimes I just say "badd zombie" and kill it with 1 axe hit when a zombie out of 500 km smells me somehow while I was inside a house and agros me)   :P 

They are not the primary element as one would expect  they are more like the background people you see in a movie they add nothing to the plot noone knows them or hears them etc they are just there to fill the scenery.

And I find that kinda disappointing because the game is called DayZ. 

So what about if you die in DayΖ you come back as a ZOMBIE hunting other players? like lurking around hiding and come at a players back out of nowhere ! :P that would force/encourage the other survivors to play as a team in order to be safe from you :D (they could still backstab you though after a zombie thread was dealt to get your gear etc so there will be still the way of the bandit as we now it today :P ) it also will creep you out when you search for loots since a human player being a zombie could hide somewere in the house to getya! So you will actually get creeped by the zombie threat... not just have them bugged creatures to brake your balls like they do now  :P 

And if you get killed as a zombie you will respawn again as a human.

do you like this idea? please give me your feedback guys thank you ! :)

Edited by papajo
  • Like 1

DayZ is called DayZ not because of DayZombie but Day Zero. Also, in the "lore" of DayZ, the "zombies" (infected living humans) are not dead, so there's no reason for your character to come back as a zombie once he's dead. Lastly, again in the "lore" of DayZ, every player character is supposed to be immune from the infection and can't become one of the infected roaming around the map.

I like the idea in zombie games that once your character dies, he becomes a zombie. (Check Contagion, and a bit similar to this, but not controllable once you become one, The Dead Linger.)

It's a great idea for zombie games, but DayZ isn't a zombie game. (I know, weird right? :lol: )

• Like 4

Still no mention of when we will see more zombies in 2015

I dont think that adding some scripted zombies (at least in they way they are programmed now) will make the game more pleasurable.. since they dont "see" or "hear" you they just have a built in radar on a huge radius and come attack you from a huge distance no matter if you are hiding in a builing or they were in the other corner of a town with buildings and walls between you and the zombie.. also they just teleport though walls etc..

so with the current setting of collision and scripting of the zombies adding more will just brake your balls even more and personally I may stop playing it cause it would be like a small countdown waiting to die when you spawn since you couldn't possibly loot with more of THOSE zombies in a town, you couldn't barakate in a building since they would just teleport inside... and even if they would teleport inside you wouldn't loose agro till you kill em all and if you kill them all new zombies will agro you instantly so.. no I dotn think that (again as the CURRENT system works with current zombie scripting and collisions not working etc) that adding zombies will be a good thing.. better to have more human zombies and less bot zombies imho. 

Edited by papajo

DayZ is called DayZ not because of DayZombie but Day Zero. Also, in the "lore" of DayZ, the "zombies" (infected living humans) are not dead, so there's no reason for your character to come back as a zombie once he's dead. Lastly, again in the "lore" of DayZ, every player character is supposed to be immune from the infection and can't become one of the infected roaming around the map.

I like the idea in zombie games that once your character dies, he becomes a zombie. (Check Contagion, and a bit similar to this, but not controllable once you become one, The Dead Linger.)

It's a great idea for zombie games, but DayZ isn't a zombie game. (I know, weird right? :lol: )

I didnt mean literally to raise as a zombie because they transfered you the infection but just spawn in a random location as a zombie (like a server rule) if you die as a survivor so that we could have some interesting zombie threats which we dont have now... imagine like a group of 3 human zombies try to find and kill survivors? :P and the strategies they would implement and also the strats you and your fellow survivors would need to defeat or stealth them... that would be awesome I think...

In the current pre alpha state I mostly see the zombies  as flies and my axe as a newspaper to put them down and let me continue my looting :P 

Edited by papajo
  • Like 1

Too early for more zomies IMO. Much to be done before they need to focus on them. IMO it should go...

Feature complete>

Optimization>

Add more zeds>

Optimization>

Add more zeds....ect ect

We need a good foundation on which these guys can make our lives utterly miserable :)

Edited by Karmaterror

This was done in one of the mods. If you are sick and you die, you respawn as a zombie. It's a neat concept but no one likes playing as a zombie.

Well at least in the pre alpha I feel that the game isnt about survival in a crisis or epidemic... its all about players VS players... the zombies are just there to brake your balls ( sometimes I just say "badd zombie" and kill it with 1 axe hit when a zombie out of 500 km smells me somehow while I was inside a house and agros me)   :P 

They are not the primary element as one would expect  they are more like the background people you see in a movie they add nothing to the plot noone knows them or hears them etc they are just there to fill the scenery.

And I find that kinda disappointing because the game is called DayZ. 

So what about if you die in DayΖ you come back as a ZOMBIE hunting other players? like lurking around hiding and come at a players back out of nowhere ! :P that would force/encourage the other survivors to play as a team in order to be safe from you :D (they could still backstab you though after a zombie thread was dealt to get your gear etc so there will be still the way of the bandit as we now it today :P ) it also will creep you out when you search for loots since a human player being a zombie could hide somewere in the house to getya! So you will actually get creeped by the zombie threat... not just have them bugged creatures to brake your balls like they do now   :P 

And if you get killed as a zombie you will respawn again as a human.

do you like this idea? please give me your feedback guys thank you ! :)

Bohemia is going to get a new engine for DayZ Standalone, one that is not linked with the ArmA Franchise. Anyways, once this new engine is added, there will be zombies on every corner, it will make stealth more of a necessity, and every time you are about to step outside, you reconsider because in a matter of seconds, a swarm will be after you.

• Like 2

This was done in one of the mods. If you are sick and you die, you respawn as a zombie. It's a neat concept but no one likes playing as a zombie.

Yep, it was kinda amusing the first time it happened but got very boring very quickly.

Playing as Zed = long unarmed coast run looking for fresh-spawn to claw at.

...Because there's 0% chance against a player with a weapon. And you can't exactly have armed zeds... or, well, it gets a bit silly then.

Why bother with that when you could be looting for a new character...?

So becoming a zed, in practice, would probably mean being forced to mess about trying to commit suicide between each game and double the time spent staring at a server list and logging in/out - and if you're playng with friends that's even more annoying.

Remember the standalone motto: It's just an alpha and everything's just a 'place holder'. :rolleyes:

Still no mention of when we will see more zombies in 2015

Honestly, i do believe the "New Zombie AI" in Q1 2015, is also ment as "After that, the serious zombie work can begin" :)

My ideal image of zeds in the game would be ones that are extremely fast, don't tire, hit very hard and deal lots of damage but themselves are quite weak. A glass cannon if you will. Smaller villages should have more than six to ten infected, while larger cities should be crawling with em.

...Because there's 0% chance against a player with a weapon. And you can't exactly have armed zeds... or, well, it gets a bit silly then.

I didnt play the mod but I dont think its that hard to kill an armed player (well maybe if there he sees you from a distance) you could for example hide and camp on a major loot point of a major city inside a room or something + ok the heavy armed ones would be hard to kill but what if there was 3 of you hunting him down? :P then I think zombies (human controlled ones) would win or atleast have a high rate of success...

And yes as I stated above I know its a pre alpha.. but for now to make things more bearable they could add this as a party pleaser because as things go.. we are playing and ARMA game were its much harder to get the gear you want.

I could imagine a zed killing an armed player if you played it right... for example, stalking a player and hiding somewhere to catch them offguard. Might be good fun!

I could imagine a zed killing an armed player if you played it right... for example, stalking a player and hiding somewhere to catch them offguard. Might be good fun!

But then you're pissing on the 'lore' again. The DayZ zombies aren't self-aware, they're just mindless murder machines.

But then you're pissing on the 'lore' again. The DayZ zombies aren't self-aware, they're just mindless murder machines.

As of today they just buggy teleporting early 90's bots that brake your balls when you try to kill an other human player because essentially you play arma and not dayz because of the dump bots..ehmm I mean "zombies" 

Ok I can understand not adding this feature to the final release or even to the beta... but they should make it temporarily available on the prelapha version we have at hand now so that it is more fun to spend time in DayZ

Edited by papajo

As of today they just buggy teleporting early 90's bots that brake your balls when you try to kill an other human player because essentially you play arma and not dayz because of the dump bots..ehmm I mean "zombies" 

Ok I can understand not adding this feature to the final release or even to the beta... but they should make it temporarily available on the prelapha version we have at hand now so that it is more fun to spend time in DayZ

I'm still having fun. Are you not having fun? I'm sort of glad they're glitchy, because otherwise they'd be even less of a threat than they already are. At least now you risk getting blindsided once in a while.

I'm still having fun. Are you not having fun? I'm sort of glad they're glitchy, because otherwise they'd be even less of a threat than they already are. At least now you risk getting blindsided once in a while.

for me to have fun in dayz with zombies some things need to happen first (And I am confident that they will)

A) Add a hell more of zombies

B)they have vision (and not a built in radar that finds you behind walls and houses out of a 800m distance) their vision needs to be limited to a few meters and be cone shaped

C) if you are very close to them they can hear you jog,prone,run shooting etc they may not hear you if walking slowly out of their vision or is should be like a 50-50 change to hear you that way

D) from a medium distance they only hear you if you run or shoot 

E) on long distance they hear you only if you shoot**

F) If they notice you in any of the above ways they agro you but only those that did notice you in the above way (seeing,hearing) and other zombies that didnt see or hear but can SEE the zombies agroing you (not hear them just if they see them)

They cant go inside closed/barricaded building (oh yes I need a feature to barricade buildings :P) or take quite some time to brake a door and they dont brake it instantly first a whole (so that you can shoot some of them through it) then a bigger whole then the entire door. (so that you can shoot kill some then go next room close door again shoot kill some etc)

**If zombies are in a long distance and hear you shooting they agro you but dont run to you directly like they know exactly were you are they just run towards the sound (in the general area it was made when you shot) searching for you.. they have to see you or to hear you again within a small or medium distance to be aware of were exactly you are and ONLY then hunt your exact location and follow you

G)If zombies cant see or hear for some time they stop growing and return to their spawn places

H) Oh and of course they cant teleport through wals or floors.

I)char handling needs to be improved, doors need to open easily and climbing stairs need to be easy you dont have to spend time on were to point in order to be able to press F to open a door or to climb etc aiming and shooting needs to be improved... more we will need more ammo (from gun stores for example) 

Then I would enjoy the game.... but thats far away from coming untill that for the game to have a little spice please admins add this easy to do little feature so that we could have some sort of fun and thrill because now we dont in terms of zombies.. they are not a threat or something they are just easy to kill rare stupid bots that brake yours balls (if not spawning as a zombie upon death then at least add a dialog asking the user if he wants to become a zombie )

I actually wouldn't mind playing as a Zombie, if they had special loot items, perks and abilities. Would make for great stealth and voyeur play. Would be fun to trick people.

But I'm against the grain when it comes to them in current game. I like them as are, no more no less, same damage, just a proper fixed version of the same is all I want.

There are too many Zombie games out there, imho, I tire of button mashing zombies endlessly from my experience in DR3. I couldn't stop to think for a sec, with literally hundreds of them everywhere. It's like doing the same thing over and over and nothing else... that's not really fun to me, even if you can use a hot dog bun to kill them.

I actually wouldn't mind playing as a Zombie, if they had special loot items, perks and abilities. Would make for great stealth and voyeur play. Would be fun to trick people.

But I'm against the grain when it comes to them in current game. I like them as are, no more no less, same damage, just a proper fixed version of the same is all I want.

There are too many Zombie games out there, imho, I tire of button mashing zombies endlessly from my experience in DR3. I couldn't stop to think for a sec, with literally hundreds of them everywhere. It's like doing the same thing over and over and nothing else... that's not really fun to me, even if you can use a hot dog bun to kill them.

Well if you dont like the idea of them to be zombie like etc then why to play such a game? I mean if you just like to gear up and pvp other players then there is arma for you. 

I'm in favour of people dying from infection becoming a zombie themselves. It can be explained because the player arrive on the shore being a refuge from another land, managed to escape his own infested land.

I'm not sure about people playing as zombies. It would make sense that upon dying from the zombie infection, the player comes back to 'life' as an zombi, with a different set of abilities and handicaps.

Let's think of the zombi player character.

Thinking about this I'm thinking of the game 'Depth', where players can play as a scuba diver or as a shark. It's an asymmetrical team death-match game. This game mode is becoming more popular these days. I think with a careful implementation it can be a refreshing experience, making the zombies much more interesting, intelligent and dangerous.

Let's explore some possibilities.

I feel a fresh server should start with only uninfected players and computer controlled zombies.

Players can become infected by zombie bites, and if left untreated die of the Z disease (recognisable symptoms).

Upon death players come back to life as a zombie.

They would be very hungry and in order survive it needs to feed of dead bodies, be it dead players, animals or fellow dead zombies.

As a zombie they would loose the ability to fire guns, they are simply to complicated for your degraded monkey level mind.

Melee weapons, and using guns as such, has become more much easier as the zombie has obtained the ability to rage.

Rage would be a channelled focus, speed and strength. Rage will be accompanied with roars, increased gamma, contrast, slight red cast (a bit like IR or thermal vision?) and a bit of tunnel vision.

Engaging rage maybe be done through 'sprint' (double forward).

Because of the high speed coordination would be more difficulty, as turns take a bit longer, a bit like a fast raging bull's inability to do sudden short turns.

Zombies superior strengths allows them to throw items with much further with more kinetic energy.

It would be great if the game's players and items would react appropriately to kinetic impacts, getting smacked over, smacked to the side etc.

Raging sounds will be heard from a reasonable distance, and attract nearby zombies. So a keen player can collect a horde of zombies, and have them follow them around like a school of hungry hair trigger sharks. Imagine being in a tree line considering looting a village and seeing a zombie searching and coming towards slowly to your direction.. counting your bullets, fire or evade, how hungry are you?

Maybe zombies should also be given the ability to climb rain pipes, trees so they can like monkeys jump and attack from above?

Maybe zombies should regenerate and come back after a short while if not shot in the head. So a zombie with food in his belly can rise again after a certain regenerating time having been shot in the chest. A zombie only dies of starvation or a bullet in the head.

Zombie progression, what 'upgrades' for what actions should have a zombie have?

Maybe some parcour elements like leaping, climbing should be learn able? Also tracking blood trails of the wounded?

But what would be the long term zombie goals? Maybe eat and spread the disease to the whole of Chernarus?

Should a zombie be able to login on another server?

Should a zombie die of hunger, or just loose a 100% of his rage ability, rendering him a easy target?

With players becoming zombies, there will become another situation of identifiable 'teams' and I've learned there are a lot of players who object to that idea. They like the uncertainty of not knowing weather a person is possible friend or foe. On the other hand one can say the zombie team already exists, and adding humans to that would make them much more interesting, and varied game play.

i love all that "there is no zombie in game" discussion  because dayz mod still being played because of zombies right ?

Edited by ege

Hide kit, press f12; IMITATE ZOMBIE

That would be rather cool.

My ideal image of zeds in the game would be ones that are extremely fast, don't tire, hit very hard and deal lots of damage but themselves are quite weak. A glass cannon if you will. Smaller villages should have more than six to ten infected, while larger cities should be crawling with em.

I want to see the same in terms of speed and stamina, but I want zombies to be slightly tanky too. Able to take 4-6 body hits depending on gun strength, and even 7-10 body hits if it's wearing armour[riot police zombie].

But yeah, if zombies hit very hard, if they can spread disease and tackle and bite and break the skin and bones, and players don't want to fight them at close range except in absolute necessity, then bullets are going to be used less frequently for KoSing and more frequently for killing zombies that can't be shaken off or avoided. Currently zombies are harmless enough melee combatants that you can do without a gun against them.

Bohemia is going to get a new engine for DayZ Standalone, one that is not linked with the ArmA Franchise. Anyways, once this new engine is added, there will be zombies on every corner, it will make stealth more of a necessity, and every time you are about to step outside, you reconsider because in a matter of seconds, a swarm will be after you.

mmmm. This was what I loved about dayZMod, how there was an intense feeling of fear and vulnerability which got you even when not many zombies were around. Zombies were a serious threat, enough that you'd crawl a football field to reach a hatchet if you needed to. And then that BOOM... TISH... BOOM... TISH... music would come in and demoralise you further.

It was a really convincing recreation of what it would actually be like if we were in a zombie apocalypse, primitive and hunted hiding on the ground and brush. And it was great.

Current dayZ is "I'm running around in the open looking for a non mouldy orange. Oh, there's some zombies, better dance around them in circles with my melee weapon!".

If they can recapture that playing terrified hide and seek in bushes with zombies feeling, I'll be SO HAPPY. Plus the fuck yeah zombie slayer feeling when you get loot, of course.

At first I was all down with being a Zed every now and then. However, thinking about the kind of zombies we have in game, it wouldn't be the same. The Zombies are aimlessly walking around and run straight at you. Put a human in that, and they would be thinking where to pop out of, where to cut you off, and have predatory tendencies; all of which are contradictory to the zombies we have. Good thought though.. 

Yeah I'm gonna cast my vote on "No" to this idea. Players are big enough buttholes when they're players, them being allowed to play zeds would just be even worse. If I kill someone, I want to know that person won't likely be coming back after me another time and I just have to worry about any potential buddies of his.