Sign in to follow this  
kll4

Stop DayZ from turning into a Twitch shooter

What I've noticed recently is that especially in big deathmatch towns on the coast the game nearly feels like CoD or Battlefield. A major aspect of this are the running-animations in my opinion.

I think that therefore the sprinting with a raised gun-animation should be removed, the newer sprinting with a gun in lowered stance-animation should be revamped back to the old one (it's a bit slower) and the new sprinting animation should be changed back to the old one (who the hell runs like that?; the old one seemed much better and much more realistic).

DayZ doesn't need to try to be and shouldn't be like CoD or Battlefield, at least movement-wise. What are you guys' thoughts on this?

Edited by kll4
  • Like 2

Why are you complaining?

After all, you do have a Battlefield profile picture...

• Like 4

I don't see any problem with the new sprinting and also no prblem with the raised gun sprinting. That doesn't make the game more twitch-shooter-y either.

But I think sprinting needs a nerf in two ways: It should be slower and limited to short bursts only (stamina system). Right now everyone (even the zombies) is speeding around at 30-40 km/h all the time.

Sprinting with gun pointed forward = CoD/Battlefield? Also, I've ran exactly like that irl, with an AKM, (wasn't loaded, though) did not trip or even feel unbalanced. The sprinting animations seem fine to me. And this game has come steps and bounds where KoS is concerned; I see about 300% more friendlies/real bandits these days than back in January.

So far I've seen absolutely no similarities in sprinting with CoD or Battlefield. (the former I played until 2011, the latter I've played from BF1942 to BF4)

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 1

Right now the characters movement speed is multiplied by way too much.  At the moment we run at approximately 30 km/h

I don't think it matters if he has a Battlefield profile picture.  He can like battlefield just fine; it's a completely different game and that's his point.  He's arguing the point that DayZ shouldn't give speed boosts to kids that run around in the open with their guns raised. And I agree.  

• Like 2

But I think sprinting needs a nerf in two ways: It should be slower and limited to short bursts only (stamina system). 

Horrible idea. All that will do is discourage player mobility. The penalty to accuracy is already a huge deterrent to constant 24/7 sprinting, as well as the increased expenditure of water and food. Making it so that you cannot even sprint at all will only slow players down and discourage them to move around the map.

• Like 2

Horrible idea. All that will do is discourage player mobility. The penalty to accuracy is already a huge deterrent to constant 24/7 sprinting, as well as the increased expenditure of water and food. Making it so that you cannot even sprint at all will only slow players down and discourage them to move around the map.

Stamina would be great, we just need basic vehicles first.

I just want the devs to add a car already, just one, even if it's buggy and glitchy as hell, and then we can implement some basic stamina.

Stamina could be affected by the amount you're carrying, how hungry/thirsty/injured you are, how cold you are, and whether you've taken any kind of medication or caffeine/alcohol, all altering your stamina meter [unseen, but able to be judged by beginning to stagger in first person and breath becoming ragged].

Also riding a bike could use up stamina, although using up less than running the same distance.

I don't think zombies should require stamina though, they should just run until they drop.

Removing upgraded mechanics that improve usability and give more free, realistic movement for the sake of being able to say "This game isn't a twitch shooter because it's movement mechanics are shit." sounds like a pretty stupid idea, but to each their own I suppose.

• Like 1

We shouldn't be sprinting around the map

• Like 2

We shouldn't be sprinting around the map

Yup.

The sprinting should not last any longer than a few seconds and anything longer than a minute or so should have your player trip or take a knee to catch his breath.

Jogging and walking should be the main movement.

• Like 1

Yup.

The sprinting should not last any longer than a few seconds and anything longer than a minute or so should have your player trip or take a knee to catch his breath.

Jogging and walking should be the main movement.

I agree, travelling across the map should feel like more of an undertaking than it does currently. Something that is a survival decision, that requires some degree of forethought. Will I have enough food to make it to Zelenogorsk from Berezino? Where can I stop along the way to get supplies? Things like this should be a consideration when travelling in DayZ. It should feel like a journey, not a boring double tap W and hold it until I get there kind of deal.

• Like 1

Sprinting with gun pointed forward = CoD/Battlefield? Also, I've ran exactly like that irl, with an AKM, (wasn't loaded, though) did not trip or even feel unbalanced. The sprinting animations seem fine to me. And this game has come steps and bounds where KoS is concerned; I see about 300% more friendlies/real bandits these days than back in January.

So far I've seen absolutely no similarities in sprinting with CoD or Battlefield. (the former I played until 2011, the latter I've played from BF1942 to BF4)

With a backpack full of heavy items, boots and thick clothes on too? 'cause I bet you didn't run long.

I like that we can sprint faster with our guns out now because just holding a gun shouldn't magically make you slower compared to it being on your back, since your weight is obviously still the same but it's far too easy to just run and shoot. I mean where are our Marathon and Juggernaut perks already?! :P

I hope they add in a weight and stamina system soon, people with 40 pounds of gear shouldn't be running as fast as fresh spawns or even close to their speed.

I do kinda miss the old arma way of having to walkto be able to shoot and move. That being said I suppose that's more to train soildiers that running and shooting is gonna be next to useless. Seen as we aren't soildiers in this tho im fine with it being left in.....but (and I mean this literally) you shouldn't be able to hit the side of a barn at more than 100m if sprinting.

I still say bring back mouse accel and put some skill into the shooting side if the game, right now its point and click with 0 effects to overcome :(

I do kinda miss the old arma way of having to walkto be able to shoot and move. That being said I suppose that's more to train soildiers that running and shooting is gonna be next to useless. Seen as we aren't soildiers in this tho im fine with it being left in.....but (and I mean this literally) you shouldn't be able to hit the side of a barn at more than 100m if sprinting.

I still say bring back mouse accel and put some skill into the shooting side if the game, right now its point and click with 0 effects to overcome :(

Running and shooting can be effective if you need to move ahead to cover quickly while keeping an enemy suppressed, but otherwise you're better off firing from a fixed position, or at most walking.

However, the point of these animations isn't to turn DayZ into a twitch shooter, but rather to make movement more fluid and smooth. I mean, ArmA 2's animations work well for regular gameplay, but DayZ's pace feels wrong when you have to sprint but then suddenly stop to step over a two foot fence or get stuck in toggled walk mode while under fire.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

Lets not nerf the speed at which we run until vehicles are in the game please, travel time is the biggest mood killer for this game, don't make it worse. Either give us an option to spawn near our friends or leave the speed at which we run alone.

• Like 1

Either give us an option to spawn near our friends or leave the speed at which we run alone.

No.  Get it through your head that even when vehicles are introduced, you won't be find them laying all over the place so you can drive around like a gangsta from GTA so lowing the movement speed now will make players get use to the fact the the game is going to be grueling and hard.  

No.  Get it through your head that even when vehicles are introduced, you won't be find them laying all over the place so you can drive around like a gangsta from GTA so lowing the movement speed now will make players get use to the fact the the game is going to be grueling and hard.  

Agreed vehicles will go something like....

1 week of playing...

"omg guys! I see a truck!"

"it wont move"

"we need parts....form different servers"(thank you private shards)

"shit"

1 week later

"we got everything?"

"yep"

"you sure"

"yep"

"the trucks gone...."

That's when people start adopting a camp hunting mentality lol

Agreed vehicles will go something like....

1 week of playing...

"omg guys! I see a truck!"

"it wont move"

"we need parts....form different servers"(thank you private shards)

"shit"

1 week later

"we got everything?"

"yep"

"you sure"

"yep"

"the trucks gone...."

That's when people start adopting a camp hunting mentality lol

Pretty much.  Well, I shouldn't say that's how it should be, that's how I want it to be lol but we'll have to see if they devs want to stick to their guns and make a true authentic hardcore survival game or if they crack and cater to the casual crowd.

Edited by Caboose187

I understand that you may not have friends you play with but a lot of us do and a lot of us don't have two hours to spend trying to get to our friends before we can actually start playing together. Why does the running speed bother you anyway? Why are you so dead set on people playing the game the way you want it played?

Not everyone likes an overly hard game, not everyone likes your play style, one of the great things about this game is that you are free to play however you want, you can run off in the woods and play PvE if you want or you can stick to the cities and go all PvP. The only thing making this game ridiculously hard will do is drive new players away.

You are spewing a lot of misplaced anger my way, I've never played any Call of Duty games, in fact I've only ever played one online first person shooter and that was Planetside 2. I enjoy the pace of DayZ, I enjoy the risk, I enjoy the gearing up more than I enjoy the fighting. What I don't enjoy is endless running, I don't think anyone really enjoys that. Hopping from town to town is no issue for me but if those travel times were made significantly longer this game would get very boring very fast.

At any rate, chill out.

Edited by kichilron
Quote removed.
  • Like 1

You are spewing a lot of misplaced anger my way

At any rate, chill out.

You baited him.  

I'm fully behind the idea that jogging/walking should be the main mode of locomotion.  I tend to travel light in-game.  When I come across bodies or watching youtube videos they're usually carrying mountain backpacks, vests, military clothes full of heavy items. Which is ridiculous.  I really look forward to some sort of limiting factor such as weight or long-term fatigue debuff that lasts a day or two until your muscles repair.  Maybe a sleep action you initiate before you log off the game for the night.  

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 1

With a backpack full of heavy items, boots and thick clothes on too? 'cause I bet you didn't run long.

No backpack, but I had full winter clothes and boots. Ran for 20 minutes in deep snow in the middle of nowhere cause the fkers dared me to run there without a snowmobile. Totally worth it; shooting AK is fun.