Sign in to follow this  
hannibaldaplaya

Cannibalism - Lets make it USEFUL

Now that the developers have shown they have balls (Wow, wasn't expecting that) by implementing something like Cannibalism, I believe it is time to start toning down food loot spawns while making changes to the current system to make it both more realistic and forgiving. Why forgiving? Right now, starvation is relentless if you don't get food. I believe it shouldn't kill you immediately, it should weaken you and then slowly finish you off, but we'll get into more of that now. Starvation can be unforgiving if food becomes actually valuable.

Why should we do this now or soon, you may ask. Well, we now have the following ways to get food without scavenging:

• Hunting
  • Cannibalism
  • Foraging
  • Farming

This allows one to sustain themselves without having to loot. We don't want to eliminate looting outright, but players can survive even if canned goods and other food becomes rare. 

How should starvation be reworked? Well, make death slower but implement malnourishment and weakness from hunger. Also, consider the following factors in terms of starvation's speed:

• Hydration. (Hydrated = Slower death from starvation, Thirsty / Dehydrated = Faster death from starvation.)
  • Movement. (Lots of running across the map will make you succumb to death from starvation faster, while not much movement will save your energy and make you last longer.)

If this is implemented, by the time we get the V3S in game we'll have bands of maniacally laughing cannibals driving through the desolate countryside looking for their next meal. It'll be great!

• Like 7

Now that the developers have shown they have balls (Wow, wasn't expecting that) by implementing something like Cannibalism, I believe it is time to start toning down food loot spawns while making changes to the current system to make it both more realistic and forgiving. Why forgiving? Right now, starvation is relentless if you don't get food. I believe it shouldn't kill you immediately, it should weaken you and then slowly finish you off, .....etc

exactly...dying of starvation should be a slow painfully journey where u visually see how u decend into the pits of hell. We need more than "im starving" "im dying"....dead

Makes us suffer, makes us moan desperatly for food, make our movement look like its weak...out face like its pale and malnourished...at the end u crawl

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 2

exactly my thoughts :thumbsup:  ... a proper stamina system is also missing ..

PS: talking about balls...with cannibalism implemented, suicide in the making and drugs more or less confirmed we should maybe also talk again about getting "little" zeds  B)

• Like 4

I like the idea of making food more scarce, however it may truly discourage new players from playing this game.  Perhaps different servers can accommodate newbies and advanced players who choose the option they are more comfortable with.  I'm still a newbie, but I like said idea, especially once I get skilled enough.  Different servers, different options, in my opinion.

Perhaps people should read the Stephen King short story, "Survivor Type".  Perhaps this could be implemented into the game somewhat.  Read it.

exactly my thoughts :thumbsup: ... a proper stamina system is also

Yup yup stamina and realistic movement please

exactly...dying of starvation should be a slow painfully journey where u visually see how u decend into the pits of hell. We need more than "im starving" "im dying"....dead

Makes us suffer, makes us moan desperatly for food, make our movement look like its weak...out face like its pale and malnourished...at the end u crawl

It already happened: first iteration of experimental 0.50. That...didn't go well, if I remember correctly. Passed the excitement of a new patch, there was very few players online in normally high-peak hours. They later returned with the second iteration of 0.50, whit "survivalism" toned down.

Anyway: I like the idea. Some suggestions:

1) mantain current stomach capacity

2) decrease spawn rate of canned food, vegetables and fruits

3) greatly increase calories and water consumption when running and sprinting

4) greatly decrease calories and water consumption when walking

5) let body and environment temperature influence water consumption

6) let ground type and elevation influence water and calories consumption

7) increase water consumption after certain foods are eaten (meat, certain canned food types)

8) let hydratation level influence calories consumption

This will decrease the amount of food character need to avoid starvation, promote a better loot economy, push (but not force) people towards hunting/fishing for susteinance and generally help giving players some kind of purpose.

I don't think it should be a point where DayZ turns into The Road and everyone absolutely has to be a cannibal, but I think it still has to be an option for very desperate people or in places like the coastal PVP cities with loot picked clean and no animals.

I would be fine with less found, provided the stream line the requirements for things like fishing or cooking.  Then adjust the system for burning off food and becoming hunger once again.  I mean how many of you can sit down and eat almost an entire pig in real life and then be hungry an hour later?!?  I am all for a more realistic system but that doesn't just mean less cans of food.

This is already very useful :

- Friendly Fire : free food

- Friend accident (fall or die of wound) : free food

- Bandit kill : free food

- Bambi kill : free food

What else ? :D

This is already very useful :

- Friendly Fire : free food

- Friend accident (fall or die of wound) : free food

- Bandit kill : free food

- Bambi kill : free food

What else ? :D

Honestly I would like to see withdraw symptoms from not eating human flesh, like uncontrollable shaking and chronic panicking/mumbling as well as a chance to randomly self-harm yourself

• Like 1

exactly my thoughts :thumbsup:  ... a proper stamina system is also missing ..

PS: talking about balls...with cannibalism implemented, suicide in the making and drugs more or less confirmed we should maybe also talk again about getting "little" zeds  B)

Drugs! Fucking love the idea. A system where you can get benefits that over time wear off but have a small chance of being addicted and other negative sideeffects. Maybe some sort of crafting system that needs interaction with other players to learn said. "Friendly? Do you have the recipe for crystal meth?" I would like seeing skills implemented so that people can interact learning new skills from others. Could probably tone down the KOS

• Like 1

Hello there

All in game mechanics are planned out, rather than just dumped in game for teh lulz, so expect stuff like cannibalism to play an interesting role rather than a "hurhur hur I eats people" shock tactic.

That said, all ideas and thoughts are welcomes and are looked at even if we stay quiet.

It will be interesting to see where it goes, although Im surprised at the less  strident backlash of cannibalism to defecation.

Strange what people accept.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4

Even without cannibalism I think it should be lowered a bit anyway.  I can cook a real steak in less time than it takes in the game lol. All kidding aside I find myself thinking it's quicker to go into any town. Experimental has it almost right but I think that's more a symptom attached to the loot bugs happening.  The first few areas on the coast I explore are almost devoid of food but as you move inland you can get some, but you almost die far away.  Picking for apples is a thing now :)

On stable I'm still having no trouble getting to a good healthy state and maintaining it, even with the fountains out of commission.

I Like what OP is thinking.

I like the idea of making food more scarce, however it may truly discourage new players from playing this game.  Perhaps different servers can accommodate newbies and advanced players who choose the option they are more comfortable with.  I'm still a newbie, but I like said idea, especially once I get skilled enough.  Different servers, different options, in my opinion.

Depends on the newbies. I think if people realize that this isn't a run n gun game they'll stick with it or drop it anyway. I may be a "Bad guy" to run into in your travels but I at least maintain to try and talk to people (unless deliberately setting up an ambush or trap).  I've found regardless of your intentions good or bad it's the player interaction that makes this game what it is.  You may die a lot but it's worth it.

Edited by DoctorWhy

Banditry and people getting shot is already rampant. I don't think we should make it worse.

wrong game buddy...

• Like 1

There was a (short) time we could eat or drink most of the mods here...

The Notorious Can Incident anyone ?  :P

• Like 2

There was a (short) time we could eat or drink most of the mods here...

The Notorious Can Incident anyone ?  :P

Apparently that caused quite a lot of recoil, So much infact that the community banned the use of said ammo

• Like 1

Both Starvation and thirst should make sense within the in game day night cycle.

Meaning that- yes traveling cross country backpacking will make you burn calories extremely quickly, however, you won't die in a day.

I think they need to add more status effects to things like temperature and disease so you get blurred vision, run slower, have more weapon sway and a gradually generally weaker when you are sick, staving or dehydrated so we won't have to check the inventory menu or have the little messages in the corner

• Like 2

I have to say this is the first thing that I am a little disappointed that they are implementing, I just don't see the need for it. If it is going to be a part of the game play I do hope they introduce the human variant of CJD as a consequence or a nice Chianti and a way to grow some fava beans, well you know what they say "if you cant can beat them join eat them" (nar not for me not my style).

Edited by SlimPikins69