kovie20@gmail.com

SKS or AKM?

Normally these days when I'm a fresh spawn and have to regear, I norm will end up with an SKS at 1st,. You dont need mags for it, it has a simple attachment the PU. It not bad. But its not my end game gun though, thats for dam sure. Once I find parts for a mosin, or mags +ammo for one of the AKs. The SKS gets kicked to the curb.

I lump the SKS in with guns like the CZ and the Blaze. They will get the job done for the time being, but are not really what I would go with for the long term. SKS is the best of those three.

Edited by CJFlint

If you want a worse gun just use chambered Sporter or crossbow, much more skill required than either SKS or AKM. Who needs a semi-automatic rifle to kill? :lol:

hmmm chambering the sporter a shot at a time would be challenging. I've never found a magazine for one yet. Too bad the topic is SKS or AKM Edited by Caboose187

hmmm chambering the sporter a shot at a time would be challenging. I've never found a magazine for one yet. Too bad the topic is SKS or AKM

oh, don't let the silly title distract you from losing your fake macho-ism.  If you can't even figure out how to fire an AKM 1 shot at a time, you may not be as amazing as you think.

Erm... they both use the same ammo mate.

Honestly, I like the SKS better.  The PU scope is better than the PSO scope as you get a better view of the surroundings with it. The PSO scope blacks out your view on the sides and makes tracking more difficult.  Also, the AKM can waste ammo if you don't control your bursts appropriately.

The real question is more about your playstyle. The AKM is by far better than the SKS at CQB. So if you tend to go into more populated cities (Berezino, Electro, Chernarus, Novo..) Then I would say the AKM is better.  But if you are more of a solo style player and stick to the outskirts of high traffic areas then I would say go with the AKM and PU scope.

Derp - my bad.  What I meant to say was that the AKM requires a mag, which is harder to find in my experience than the rounds themselves.  The SKS has a clip but it is not required.  

Edited by wacktopia

Main advantage for the SKS is you don't need to live on military spawn locations to feed it ammo, since it tends to burn less due to being automatic and the PU scope spawns in civilian loot and in my experience is more common than the AK optics.

Personally, if you already have the AKM I'd stick with that. When you're breaching potentially contested buildings you'll be very glad for the rate of fire the AKM provides.

If you are the one doing the door busting, don't MP-133 shotgun better with or without pistol grip? those hold 4-6 shots 

you can carry mp133 pistol grip can be 5 wide backpack and carry another rifle as primary weapon

Edited by thewire

Ak101 imo kicks less than akm and 5.56 round are easy to find at tent cities

Ak101 imo kicks less than akm and 5.56 round are easy to find at tent cities

you can find 7.62x39 in police stations, UAZ wrecks and inside SKS stripper clips/CR527 magazines in civilian spawns though, if you're more of a survivalist who doesn't like visiting high risk areas, that makes the AKM or SKS a better option imo.

you can find 7.62x39 in police stations, UAZ wrecks and inside SKS stripper clips/CR527 magazines in civilian spawns though, if you're more of a survivalist who doesn't like visiting high risk areas, that makes the AKM or SKS a better option imo.

Tents are not high risk... Since they took all the good gear out of em most people only bother with barracks.

But to each their own.

Tents are not high risk... Since they took all the good gear out of em most people only bother with barracks.

But to each their own.

I think the tents on the west side of myshkino are fairly high risk, they're extremely overlooked on all sides and are a perfect kill-zone for a decent LRS or PSO1 sniper, whenever I visit that spot I feel extremely exposed and vulnerable personally.

My usual solution when I'm running with a friend is to have them loot up while I provide overwatch & keep an eye on the tree lines.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit

I think the tents on the west side of myshkino are fairly high risk, they're extremely overlooked on all sides and are a perfect kill-zone for a decent LRS or PSO1 sniper, whenever I visit that spot I feel extremely exposed and vulnerable personally.

My usual solution when I'm running with a friend is to have them loot up while I provide overwatch & keep an eye on the tree lines.

Looks vulnerable yes but given that the loot there is pretty low value it gets a lot less traffic than barracks and such

SKS is great if you don't have a mag, though the AKM and the 75rnd drums are pretty much everywhere so I would go with that

The AKM would be best if you plan on scouting. There is really no need for 2 long range weapons. And they AKM has full auto.

The SKS lacks the ability to fit a LR scope like a Mosin and does not have the ROF that AKM has.  So it's kind-of an in-between weapon.  The SKS is not bad as such just that it does not excel at either assault or long ranged fighting.   However, the SKS ammo iks generally easier to come by than AKM ammo, which can only be found in military barracks.  

If you're scouting then you'll probably be ahead and will prefer an assault weapon over a rifle.  So probably the AKM.  

Personally, it would depend on the scope.  Both the AKM and SKS are so much more useful when scoped.  If I found a PS01 scope I'd stick with the AKM and plan to loot up some military sites to get more ammo.   If I found a PU scope I'd look for a SKS and use that.  

Finally, you could try dual-carrying (i,e one gun on your back and the other in your hands) but this can get annoying, you can lose one accidentally when you eat etc, and you risk getting flustered if thrust into a combat situation or zombines.  

AKM and SKS uses the exact same ammo, 7.62x39. You must be talking about the SKS being a non-magazine fed rifle and the AKM being a magazine fed rifle/assault rifle.

SKS for full frontal yolo mode.

AKM when I don't want to die.

The tent city near Myshkino is only valuable to some players, mostly those looking for tents and vests, or a gorka helmet w/visor.  I went there last week early in the morning after maintenance. I found more than a couple wool dresses with full pockets near the pick-up trucks, a couple drybags with screwdrivers, and other basic gear.  It looks like a place that seansoned bambis go to get basic military gear in relative peace.  Always enough food and water to make it a reasonable trip.

As far as the SKS/AKM debate goes, the AKM is superior for all of the reasons listed before, but the SKS is still a viable primary weapon; especially if you have at least two extra stripper clips.  If i were carrying an SKS on my back as a primary, I would probably also have a Longhorn for scouting or picking off distant threats.  It appears that after a couple hundred meters, zeds won't hear the 7.62, so I often use the longhorn to clear out little towns such as Nadezhdino.  If you roll with the SKS, use it only for engagements between 50 and 100 meters, carry a sawn-off for buildings/streets, and a longhorn for any long range stuff.  You can either play for your kit-stlye, kit for your playstyle, or die becuase you don't understand what you are doing.

Remember, if the Longhorn, SKS and Sawn-off won't fix the problem, use your legs.  There is no shame in running away from a tactical disadvantage, in fact, your ability to flee the situation may be the only survbivable option at the time.  I've been called a pussy before for swimming away from the willow-bush island in front of the prison while under-fire.  Guess what?  I was the only one in my group that survived, out of five that spawned-in in such a tactically disadvantaged place.  There is no way that we could have fought back against two snipers on the island plus maybe two more on the mainland: they found our truck sitting out there, drove it back to the mainland, and camped out waiting for us to log back into the persistent server.  I'm sure the only reason I survived was because the snipers both thought they got me, along with the other swimmer (requiescat in pace), and refocused their efforts back on the little island.  There is no way that I could have saved my teammates' gear, but I did manage to get my haul safely back to dry land--to share with those that didn't fare too well.  There's no shame in running away:  there is no officer with a gun to your head, forcing you to run into machine-gun fire with an SKS.

Edited by emuthreat

Much as I hate to admit it, I have some sympathy with Caboose here. Whatever the stats, most people with an AKM will tend to spray (apart from you uber PvPers to whom that never happens). But people with SKSs tend to fire a rapid series of reasonably well aimed shots.

Certainly at over 50m or so, my weenie M4 and I would much prefer to be up against an AKM guy with a 75 mag that anyone with more than an iota of sense and an SKS.