Sign in to follow this  
patmaster

BattleEye going way too far

Well, I was telling long ago to use a damn fucking rootkit to scan for hacks (well, not in these words but same idea). I don't care about BE, you have a rootkit when you enter your name in Facebook or just use google etc. Every site wants your private information and every software can pottentially become a rootkit (firefox, CHROME etc.) It is not just "you have nothing to hide" issue. I have a lot to hide, however, I can choose to accept the EULA or not. The problem is that some people do not understand what is choice. What BE does it is openly INFORMS you that it can scan your PC etc. I would be worried about software that does not warn you and you can not make an informed decision. Won't bother with examples of course.

So yeah, people should decide they wanna play a game with a rootkit or not. I personally do not care as long as it bans all those cheating kids spending their parent's money on copies of DayZ.

Edited by MaxRain
  • Like 3

I think,it is possible to detect speed hacking without ring 0 rootkits.

There is more than speedhacking. As far as I know, especially ESP hacks access active memory to find player and item entities.

EDIT:

Just to see posts like below ( from a known cheating community ) makes me a bit more happy.

2djzdax.png

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 1

Hello there

As others have pointed out BE just have to cover their back with EULAS and T&C's

Almost every one that you agree to makes a point of taking NO liability for your computer "blowing" up. Has that ever happened? No.

This is the usual old scare tactic "omg! they are out to take our liberty and guns/pron/cheese etc".

Yes, it is good to question authority because some companies will try to get away with all sorts of nonsence, but if one *really* wants to defend their internet/pc privacy, please look first into the actions of your own Secret Services or that of supposed "allies" first as you can bet they are doing stuff without a nice agreeable flash screen.

Dont forget you dont have to install or agree with BE. Its your choice. But you cant have your cake and eat it.

Rgds

LoK

Edited by orlok
  • Like 2

If you aren't doing anything shady you have nothing to worry about.  Suck it up princess

This is the most stupid answer in the entire universe.

So please explain how someone scanning through all your personal documents is ok?

• Like 3

This is the most stupid answer in the entire universe.

So please explain how someone scanning through all your personal documents is ok?

It's OK because you said it's OK. You agreed to the terms, after all. If you don't think it's OK, then you simply don't install the program, OK?

• Like 1

It's OK because you said it's OK. You agreed to the terms, after all. If you don't think it's OK, then you simply don't install the program, OK?

I think you are completely missing the point.

The nature of the OP is that we are stuck/forced to use Battle Eye if we want to play the game and yet not only are there still tons of EsP'ing and Speed hacking going on, not to mention the amazing "remove a players's gear right off of their backs" hack......... we Also have to give up our privacy and maybe even have our computers compromised because some people don't think BE is competent. (This is not my belief as I don't think the problems with the game or anti hacking is BE's fault at all, but many people have expressed this)

So the OP doesn't think this is all Kosher. Does that explain it a little better I hope?

Edited by danceswithzeds

That doesn't answer my question at all - why is it ok for a company to look through your personal files? Where in the TOS does it say "We want access to all your personal files to check for cheating"?

If you aren't doing anything shady you have nothing to worry about.  Suck it up princess

You never know what kind of person is actually doing the scanning. If they decide to try to find info on my PayPal account they would access to where my pay check is deposited. Besides, it says it can scan memory, game files, and related system files. If the scan is legit there is nothing they can find even if the user is doing something shady. Beyond that, if I'm doing something shady that's my damn business and no one has the right to tell me otherwise.

That doesn't answer my question at all - why is it ok for a company to look through your personal files? Where in the TOS does it say "We want access to all your personal files to check for cheating"?

Sorry buddy, but you aren't going to go anywhere with logical questions or thinking if it makes BE or Bohemia look bad in anyway.

Guess it's time to lock up the thread.

I think you are completely missing the point.

The nature of the OP is that we are stuck/forced to use Battle Eye if we want to play the game and yet not only are there still tons of EsP'ing and Speed hacking going on, not to mention the amazing "remove a players's gear right off of their backs" hack......... we Also have to give up our privacy and maybe even have our computers compromised because some people don't think BE is competent. (This is not my belief as I don't think the problems with the game or anti hacking is BE's fault at all, but many people have expressed this)

So the OP doesn't think this is all Kosher. Does that explain it a little better I hope?

No, because the crux of my point is, as someone mentioned, that nobody's forcing you to play DayZ. 

And the side point is that, as someone else mentioned, most people complaining about privacy issues give up way more information on the internet than they will ever do to BEC. Kind of like how people used to complain on Facebook and Google+ about the nefarious NSA violating their privacy.

People complain about hackers and cheaters, but they also complain when measures are taken to fix the problem. Measures showing at least some promise, given those quotes from the cheater community. 

You can't always have your cake and eat it too.

That doesn't answer my question at all - why is it ok for a company to look through your personal files?

The EULA says it scans "the entire memory and any game-related and system-related files and folders." Where does it say something about your personal files ?

The complaints about hacking have been massive - and partly it all was justified. But hackers work on kernel level, so fighting them needs anticheat that works on this level as well, this shouldn't be so hard to understand. And before someone jumps around the corner saying the dev's should fix their engine heres a little remainder: The engine isn't finished. They can't make it hacksafe before they are done with coding it. Sure that's far from being optimal, but this is just how the situation is right now.

Hello there

Dont forget that the leet haz0rz are having issues with BE at the moment. Whenever they do, the old "BE is evil" thread pops up in reddit.

This isnt the first time this has happened. Do some research and sleuthing.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

You make a good point so I have to admit you have valid reasoning there.

It's still frustrating as HELL to deal with all of this and still see Esp's and speedhacks up the wazoooo. LOL

but we love Dayz so here we are :)

given those quotes from the cheater community. 

I specifically love the part where a cheater complains that "BE can't play with the rules" lol

• Like 1

I am willing to give BE the benefit of the doubt that they are only looking for cheat related activity (lets be clear, we can only take them at their word unless we are allowed to decompile the code to see for ourselves) but I sure hope they have this code secured and it is heavily monitored to ensure it is not compromised.  There are a lot of complaints about cheating, so they are taking a rather large step to try and root it out.  Hopefully it works.

You never know what kind of person is actually doing the scanning. If they decide to try to find info on my PayPal account they would access to where my pay check is deposited. Besides, it says it can scan memory, game files, and related system files. If the scan is legit there is nothing they can find even if the user is doing something shady. Beyond that, if I'm doing something shady that's my damn business and no one has the right to tell me otherwise.

You never know what kind of person does anything when you are dealing with goverment, police, farmacy, banks etc. At least you can opt out of using private companies, such as Bugemia and BE and stop paying them money. Can you do this with the police, courts etc? Just wanted to put your assertion in perspective and make you realize that you already trust something without putting much thought into it.

Edited by MaxRain

I'm not worried about BE or BIS using that info to detect hacks, but if its compromised/stolen........like ummm..........the dayz source code.............then....yea....we are kind of screwed, no?

Also I'm assuming BE is doing the same for Arma 3 or is it only for dayz?

I can say in the couple of hours I played last night on our private shard I saw one person get a "global ban" and one get banned "Game hack #38".  I would say that BE must be doing something as I've never seen a ban for a "Game hack" before and if it's stopping hackers I'm all for it.

Punisher

• Like 1

It's probably a necessary evil but I can't deny it's a real worry. People say "where does it say anything about personal files?" Well where are your dayz profiles saved? In my documents, that's where. Are we saying be can just scan C:\Users\Name\Documents\DayZ but can't scan C:\Users\Name\Documents\?

I heard stories that be had been hacked in the past. I don't know if that is true but considering the big companies geting hacked regularly who is to say that be won't ever be hacked in the future?

I'm not entirely happy with this risk and would like some independent 3rd party to regularly audit exactly what's going on.

Edited by freethink

yeah OK. but i will not agree to this terms. what can i do?

I uninstall the game now because of that. can you point me to the place where i can get my refund?

instead of trying to explain what is all wrong with this kind of approach i will just quote somebody who did all that in one sentence in one of his songs.

Johnny Hobo:

"Here's to our lives being meaningless. And how beautiful it is because freedom doesn't have a purpose."

I uninstall the game now because of that. can you point me to the place where i can get my refund?

instead of trying to explain what is all wrong with this kind of approach i will just quote somebody who did all that in one sentence in one of his songs.

Johnny Hobo:

"Here's to our lives being meaningless. And how beautiful it is because freedom doesn't have a purpose."

Well, if you want a refund, you'll need to talk to Steam, I suppose. 

Johnny Hobo:

I believe there are a few non-battleye servers you can still play on. It's pretty clear what sort of players inhabit those servers though, isn't it?

• Like 4

Here we go again. :) Let me just state the following facts for you:

1.) The BE EULA is NOT new or updated. It's been the same for years. If you only discover it now it just shows that you are ignorant and never read it when you were asked to do so when joining a BE-enabled server for the first time.

2.) BE is not a rootkit. It never was and never will be. If you don't know what a rootkit is please look it up first instead of believing these lies.

3.) AV false positives usually happen because BE files are protected (hence AVs can't properly analyze them), not because BE is doing shady stuff.

If you want to go on believing these shady individuals with their obvious agendas claming that BE is evil, then please do so. I already posted statements on the BE website in the past and right now I don't feel like doing so again just because some internet clowns call "rootkit" for no reason whatsoever. That only gives them the attention they are craving for. At some point there will be an announcement about our new plans though, so stay tuned.

Edited by BEdev-Sable
  • Like 15

I believe there are a few non-battleye servers you can still play on. It's pretty clear what sort of players inhabit those servers though, isn't it?

To be honest, this thread isn't going to get any better responses out of it.  This is where the hackers are going to throw their tantrums and we all get to point and laugh but is that what we really want to do?  This is something that BE should be handling and doesn't need to be here.