Butifnot

I'm old and I suck at it so I play on empty servers.

I remember when my good buddy was into computers and I bought my first one and he said 400 mb hard drive? That will be all you will ever need you will never fill that up.

My first drive in a PC was 120mb with drive space which gave me closer to 200 and i had a 40mb drive in my Atari ST that cost me £250 second hand.

Edited by alferret

Just for precision, you didn't install games from cassettes... you run them.  The standard C64 had no memory mass storage onto which you could install something.

My first hard disk was 56 Mb on an Amiga computer.  Back on those times hard disks were rare and costly -- thousands of euros in today's money. 

By the way, if you feel like going into the memory lane you can always download an emulator such as CCS64 or WinUAE.  They work perfectly.

I find the more people on the server the less likely I'll bump into someone and visa versa.. go figure.

I do prefer the tension of knowing the server has lots of players on it.  I find the vast majority friendly anyway. :)

dude. i m old too. but i dont suck that much....

i came back to dayz 2 weks agoe. jumping private Servers all the time. it has alway been friendlies i met so far on private Servers.

but sunday was different:

i was at the nwaf on a private server looting my way from the tent City all the way south to the Hangars and commtower..... in the second last Hangar i suddenly get shot at... seeing the dude around the Hangar entrance Holding a izh shotgun.....  i yell in my microfone: " dude take your gun down. i m friendly"  but he insists to Point his shitty shotgun at me.....  making me put 6 shotgun Shells into his Body. switching to my mosin an finishing hiom off.

as i stand by his corpse, i suddenly get shot from 2 dudes at the other side of the airfield (also scrub gear only shotguns). one got a headshot immediately when i saw him. hte other dude hid behind a bush in the middle of the rollway (bad decision). i circled the Hangar and also end his misery as i got a good headshot from my new Position.....

THIS WAS THE GREATEST EXPIERENCE I HAD SINCE I WAS BANDIT IN KAMYSHOVO IN JANUARY! so much Adrenalin....

i immedietely logged out and went on the official hive again. Camping tentcity nwaf! 

THE THRILL^^

Edited by brumey

Meet other people is one of the main aspect of DayZ to me, and also what makes this game unique, because you'll never know what kind of person you'll meet.

There should be more zombies tho, so players would help eachother fighting them      ;)

• Like 1

I logged onto a 2 person server Saturday morning.

In the top floor of the apartments in Severo.

My orientation was as I left it, mosin pointing towards window looking west direction to the street below.

The first thing I saw (after the game does it's typical graphics initialization) was a zombie and a player walking towards my building.

What are the chances of this?

Unsure of this, I simply logged out. There is no way that was a coincidence.

+38, also prefer playing with mature folks BTW.

What is your picture from?  I've seen it but cannot place it.

Fizgig from The Dark Crystal

• Like 2

Another old fart here enjoying this thread. I've been playing on computers since Microsoft Flight Simulator came on a single 720K floppy. :)

I've hunted wumpus on a commodore pet and lived to tell the tale.

Generally play on high pops but don't lonewolf it.

• Like 1

my first game was ICE CLIMBER on NES! follewed by WORLD CUP and super Mario bros....

then i got my commodore with tape drive (which was older than the nes) but my cousin had a shitload of cassettes!

Fizgig from The Dark Crystal

That movie scared me when I was a kid, especially when the Skeksis ate their own  :o

My first ever game was Jet Set Willy! Oh, and I play on low pop servers mostly ;)

• Like 1

I'm in my mid 30's and also enjoy playing on low pop servers. If I get bored after I get fully geared up I tend to head to a new spawn area, look for a new spawn and drop everything at their feet while I run away laughing maniacally. Then I have to start all over basically but it is at my discretion. 

Cuff them with badly damaged cuffs, lead them to the top of a tall building, strip all of your gear off in front of them while crying into direct chat, then vault over the edge of the building while screaming, "YOU DID THIS TO ME"

Well, I don't play on empty server, but I do play on low population ones. I find those more friendly, people usually are trying to get that immersion on the game, like a real zombie apocalypse (me included). With too many players you lose the feeling of immersion

sorry, double post

Edited by CJ_14

think my first game was Hang On on the... Master System? Or maybe Crazy Cars on the C64.

Anyway, does anyone else think that DayZ is the natural successor to Hunter on the Amiga?

Those of you that want to join my new DayZ Old Timers Private Server give me shout on Steam.

BassAngler59

From there I'll send an invite to join our little group. All the info you need is on the group page.

• Like 3

I feel that 50/50 servers are almost empty to be honest, because it's difficult to locate players even if you're nearby players in forest etc.

I need to wait and be patience sometimes at popular locations, and shadow players which is fun and anything can happend. 

Hi gang, I know this is not the place for an intro but...I'm new to the forums. Just by sheer luck i found this discussion through google, what are the odds.  Like you guys, I too am an "old fart" lol but I love playing this game, why I'll never know...Spawn, scavenge, BAM !! You are Dead. I sat and read all your comments and I simply could'nt believe it !! I mean...I honestlly thought I was the oldest player here !! When I read all of the comments of Commodore Vic-20 I thought to myself, man what are the odds ! Like alot of people on this post I too started off with a Commodore vic-20 w/ datasette, floppy drive..But you guys forgot to mention all the crappy made game cartridges ! You know what I'm talking about..Lets also not forget about all that programming that you may have done for a cheesy program that did'nt work in the end !!! To be honest though, I thought I always died because of my age/ game play. Guess i believe in raising that hand up and talking before shooting, that's probably why I die so much lol. Anyways it's nice to see people my age still playing. I hope to meet you guys sometime. oh yea.. BassAngler...You stated that you're starting a private server. Please consider me, I'd be more than happy to donate..just for a chance NOT to get sniped and play with people my age. All this Kos crap is killing me...Literally.

commodore vic-20

IBM 286 

Atari 2600

ColecoVision

PlayStation

Xbox 360

Xbox One 

" No, I'm not a video game junkie"  :lol: 

You may be old and suck so you play on empty servers but there is more who are young and good who play on empty servers so they can get gear without opposition just to go kill bambi's on a high pop server, so guess what, you don't suck, those guys suck.

• Like 5

Im not that old, only 35. But I suck. I play with older and younger friends, and we play like we are last people in Chernarus and look for places with lots of zombies. Luckily there is lots of low pop servers.

I've got a very iffy internet connection at the moment, and it severely restricts my choice of servers - most of them fail to connect.

I did manage to get on one yesterday called "Hop Team Server" or something, but it turned out to be populated only with 6 members of one clan, and they kicked me as soon as I spawned in (haven't got around to reporting the bastards yet, since I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to do that on the public hive).

The only other one I could connect to in the entire world was completely devoid of both players and loot. There was literally nothing anywhere I went, except for zombies. It wasn't much fun, but it was the only server I could play on, so I stuck around. It got me thinking: I was able to forage berries and apples for food, and pick up wood from the forest floor, because these sources aren't 'loot spawns'; presumably I'd have been able to find feathers in chicken coops as well, but I didn't try that. I'd also just read the devblog which mentioned plans for improvised blades and other crafting methods to allow for the "hermit" playstyle. If I'd been able to craft some rope (out of grass or whatever), find some flint in a stream to make a knife or hand-axe, I might have been able to craft a bow and arrows out of purely environmental not-loot pickups. Then I'd have been able to hunt for food and hide to make clothes and a bag. The only problem would have been lighting a fire: once you've used up your T-shirt rags, you can't craft a fireplace unless you can get hold of paper or more looted clothes/bandages.

As it was, I fought one zombie too many and ran out of bandage material; but the gameplay will change dramatically when it's possible to survive successfully without relying on any urban loot spawns at all. That way, all the cowards who, right now, stick to low population servers so as not to get killed by wannabee-commando-types when they go to towns to look for supplies will be able to play in higher population servers and survive off the land without such a risk. Once that's the case, in terms of gameplay options, I think loot spawns should be factored according to server population, so that you can't just go on a low-pop server and have free reign over all the loot you could ever want: if you're the only person on a server, then there should be hardly any loot in there spawning.

I'm an older fella too, those youngsters are way to aggressive now a days.. my first game was Grand Theft Auto IV which I had gotten four or so years ago.

Didn't really take any convincing.. my grandpa was cool that way. ;) 

The only other one I could connect to in the entire world was completely devoid of both players and loot. There was literally nothing anywhere I went, except for zombies. It wasn't much fun, but it was the only server I could play on, so I stuck around. It got me thinking: I was able to forage berries and apples for food, and pick up wood from the forest floor, because these sources aren't 'loot spawns'; presumably I'd have been able to find feathers in chicken coops as well, but I didn't try that. 

Some things are in .52 update (roap from animal guts, crafting knife from stones), some things are in game fles, not yet in game (clothes made from animal skins). Only thing we dont have and hasent been mentioned is making fire without matches and books/rags. I guess you should have search urban areas for at least few important items. Even with servers with 100 players, you can find town without players in it.