SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.51 Discussion

I've been trying to get on experimental for the last couple of hours now. I keep getting an error "Connection failed... No Executable File"

I assume this has something to do with an update. If I load Stable the game works fine. Strange. In the past the game would start but the browser wouldn't list the servers because they were down. never seen the game fail to start at all :huh:

Stable and Experimental have different executables now. So, even if the version numbers are the same, you have to opt in to Exp to play it and you have to opt out again to play stable.

Stable and Experimental have different executables now. So, even if the version numbers are the same, you have to opt in to Exp to play it and you have to opt out again to play stable.

OK Sure, but does this mean the servers are being worked on and once they are up again, I'll be able to log in normally or do I need to adjust/change something to get into the game?

OK Sure, but does this mean the servers are being worked on and once they are up again, I'll be able to log in normally or do I need to adjust/change something to get into the game?

The Experimental servers are likely down right now. Once maintenance is finished and they're back up, all you will need to do is switch your "beta" status on Steam to Experimental just as it has always worked. The only thing about switching that is different now is the inability to play on one or the other from either client when they are both on the same version.

You will need to go into steam Dayz properties and unselect "Experimental" if you get the error "Executable Missing" don't piss about with trying to delete steam appcache (which is what steam tells you to do)  a quick download later and you log in as usual.

Be careful, everybody apart from the cats mum knows what a jerrycan is

A jerrycan (also written as jerry can or jerrican) was originally a robust fuel container made from pressed steel. It was designed in Germany in the 1930s for military use to hold 20 L (4.4 imp gal; 5.3 US gal) of fuel. The development of the jerrycan was a significant improvement on earlier designs, which required tools and funnels to use. Today similar designs are used for fuel and water containers, some of which are also produced in plastic. The designs usually emulate the original steel design and are still known as jerrycans.

yeah well on the game when you find one they are labeled Gasoline Canister, so i would think that would be the logical way to refer to them, as i will do.

yeah well on the game when you find one they are labeled Gasoline Canister, so i would think that would be the logical way to refer to them, as i will do.

If there's one thing that I've learned about this community in the last 11 months, it's that they will call something or some place whatever the hell they want even if there's already a sensical, given name for it. Trying to fight against that mentality is a waste of your energy.

A rose by any other name...

Jerrycan is the generic name and has been for the last 70 years. Given this name "Gasoline Cannister" may just be a stab at political correctness as the term "Jerry" might in some vague way be seen as some sort of ethnic slur by those of Arian decent. I think it's a bit of a reach though.

It's like talking about "little people"... call them dwarves, midgets, the vertically challanged or small persons... everyone know what you are reffering to. (No insult to those of impaired heigth intended)

Edited by FishGuts4Lunch

A rose by any other name...

Jerrycan is the generic name and has been for the last 70 years. Given this name "Gasoline Cannister" may just be a stab at political correctness as the term "Jerry" might in some vague way be seen as some sort of ethnic slur by those of Arian decent. I think it's a bit of a reach though.

It's like talking about "little people"... call them dwarves, midgets, the vertically challanged or small persons... everyone know what you are reffering to. (No insult to those of impaired heigth intended)

It isn't that no one understands "Jerry Can", it's that the item has a given name that's universal. Calling it something that only people of a specific culture (or those educated in that culture) would know is self-defeating. If you call it what it's named in the game, there won't be any confusion.

Soooo is Experimental getting a new build today or not? I haven't seen anything stating either way, and I reached out to Eugen on Twitter a few hours back without a response.

EDIT: To clarify, I mean something other than the 125720 build that Stable is getting today.

Edited by Tatanko

A news site on facebook stated that 0.52 is coming on exp this evening. They didn't mention any source though, so it could just be a wild guess.

*yawn*... so does this mean I can go back to bed? Wait... let's see... let's say evening refers to 8 p.m. in Europe, that'd be... long enough for me to take another nap all through the night. Yay :P

It's almost 8 p.m. there, right?

Okay, alright, I too am getting a little antsy. I just want to know what it plays like and what they fix / add.

It's always a little like a birthday or Christmas.

They tell you to wait until you open up that big box, then you have to ruffle your way through it to find out what all is in there. It's just exciting for me :blush:

Edited by Demonica

A news site on facebook stated that 0.52 is coming on exp this evening. They didn't mention any source though, so it could just be a wild guess.

What news page was that? None of the major ones I check regularly have anything about 0.52.

• Like 1

Logic has failed in this case and it failed way before DayZ came on the scene.  The origin of jerrican or jerry can is from WWII during the desert campaign in North Africa.  British soldiers used the slang of "jerry" when referring to Germans, in much the same way that the VC were referred to as "Charlie" during Vietnam and terrorists in the middle east are called "Hajjis", this began in the trenches of France during WWI as a way of dehumanizing the people you were meant to shoot at.  During the Cold War all Soviets were known as "Ivan". I believe the origin of the Gook for Asians comes from Korea and the Korean name for the United States which is "Mi Guk".  To an American a Korean approaching with their hands up and saying "Mi Guk, Mi Guk" would sound like they were saying "Me Gook".  I don't have any definitive proof of that though.  I digress.

When the UK soldiers found the fuel cans in the desert they liked them and referred to them as "jerricans" in deference to the Germans as they thought the design of these cans was extremely very clever.  The British and the Americans copied the design and they have been known as "jerricans" in the West ever since, a term by which I know the US Military still uses because NOBODY but Nobody actually calls them "Gasoline Canisters".  Beside, we don't use gasoline, we use diesel so they would also, occasionally, be referred to as fuel cans.  However, there is a plastic design that is specifically for water, which we generally just call water cans to avoid confusion.

Edited by Barnabus
  • Like 4

Logic has failed in this case and it failed way before DayZ came on the scene.  The origin of jerrican or jerry can is from WWII during the desert campaign in North Africa.  British soldiers used the slang of "jerry" when referring to Germans, in much the same way that the VC were referred to as "Charlie" and terrorists in the middle east are called "Hajjis", this began in the trenches of France during WWI as a way of dehumanizing the people you were meant to shoot at.  I digress.

When the UK soldiers found the fuel cans in the desert they liked them and referred to them as "jerricans" in deference to the Germans as they thought the design of these cans was extremely very clever.  The British and the Americans copied the design and they have been known as "jerricans" in the West ever since, a term by which I know the US Military still uses because NOBODY but Nobody actually calls them "Gasoline Cans".  However, there is a plastic design that is specifically for water, which we generally just call water cans to avoid confusion.

Thanks, Barnabus! :)

Thanks, Barnabus! :)

You're welcome, like Bone Boys I thought everyone knew that. So I figured a little history lesson was the way to go before we get a flame war over this....

I've been trying to get on experimental for the last couple of hours now. I keep getting an error "Connection failed... No Executable File"

I assume this has something to do with an update. If I load Stable the game works fine. Strange. In the past the game would start but the browser wouldn't list the servers because they were down. never seen the game fail to start at all :huh:

Same here. I have a "Failed to start game (missing executable)" message. I verified the integrity of my game cache and all checks out OK. Perhaps the servers have been updated, but the experimental patch has not yet been pushed to Steam?

IDK.

Either way, my stable version is updating now.

Edited by BleedoutBill

I guess that update for experimental is not gonna come out today. Better luck tomorrow. I'm sure if they could have, they would have.

Yep same thing  "Failed to start game (missing executable)" Swapping over to stable for now...

Not sure but I have the impression that it may be a while before the experimental servers come back on line. I think we are ment to all play stable for now in the run up to beta status.

Sorry, I haven't posted in a while. 

I was hoping that someone could pm with the reason that Rocket quit reddit. I haven't been on in a while and didn't want to start a whole thread for fear of drama.

Thanks!

Sorry, I haven't posted in a while. 

I was hoping that someone could pm with the reason that Rocket quit reddit. I haven't been on in a while and didn't want to start a whole thread for fear of drama.

Thanks!

he got tired of all the little girls bitching and moaning about every little thing they thought was wrong with DayZ simply because it wasn't some professionally finished FPS game like Battlefield or COD.

• Like 1

Yep same thing  "Failed to start game (missing executable)" Swapping over to stable for now...

Getting this as well.

Is this widespread?  (glad its not me alone, thought it was for a bit)

The Dayz Exp (.exe) is no longer active and has been migrated to stable.

Waiting...

Is Fixed, Exp & Stable using same .exe

You can now join Stable Servers while running Exp build.

Waiting....

How long until they start up experimental again? i wanna help things move along smoothly by being a alpha tester :P