Sign in to follow this  
Northling

Finding weapons

Hello,

I was wondering what you concider the best way of obtaining a weapon.

Here is the deal, I have played ALOT of dayz(the mod to arma 2) and now that i started playing the standalone i have encountered a problem.

I play and i get almost fully geared all the time, plenty of food, water, medical supplies, backpack, tools, axe you name it, but i cannot find my self a decent weapon and end up dying when i encounter people(since being friendly obviously never arrived to the standalone).

I can find like a mosin, sporter 22, pistol and sometimes shotgun but i never find a magazine, and running around with 1 bullet in the magazine isnt really optimal if you run in to 4 bandits. The mosin can chamber more of course but i rarely have the ammo needed.

I was told balota airfield was an excellent spot to get a good weapon and some magazines and i have been there several times and found barely anything, it went so far that i tried to server hop at balota airfield to see if that really was a good spawnpoint for gear, I cannot even count how many servers i visited and barely found anything.

This server hopping was for testing only.

So now is my question where do you recommend to go?

Best regards,

Northling

Head further inland and checkout the military base's. That's where you'll find the guns you're looking for ( I assume you're looking for more than a rifle ;) )

In particular you could hit up the military base near Zelengorsk, as well check out the town of Zelengorsk. There is a prison on the south end as well as a barracks which usually will have AKM's inside it. 

Once you've checked out Zelengorsk, keep heading north to the North West Air Field (NWAF). There are tents there as well as barracks etc. You're bound to find what your'e looking for up there,but beware if you're on a populated server, your chances or running into another player up there is increased for sure. 

You're welcome to check my server out! See my signature. I have persistence off and 4 hour restarts. 

• Like 1

I would say check out the military bases. Check out the 2 new military spawns too. Tent city is now spawning much more military loot, then in .49 stable. I was just there last night and quickly ran through it. I just was looking for odds and ends, I noticed most of the tents now have really good loot.

• Like 2

I thank you for your replies, much appriciated. While im at it, is there away to put waypoints on the map? finding a gps or something to make it easier to move across the map? since there are new buildings and all making it hard to roam the map by memory like in the mod.

I thank you for your replies, much appriciated. While im at it, is there away to put waypoints on the map? finding a gps or something to make it easier to move across the map? since there are new buildings and all making it hard to roam the map by memory like in the mod.

Some frown on this but I use the dayz TV map, becuase there overly nit picky. Its updated all the time with every new patch. http://www.dayztv.com/map/. Prob the best map I have seen for this game by far.

I use a program called over wolf which allows you to use a browser while playing, I simply click the browser and theres them map. You can select it to be clearer too so you can see through it with the over wolf browser. This program sometimes is glitchy like if you using TS with it, it has caused some issues with controls and the mouse pointer going away. So I turn it off when I'm in team speak. Just stuff to be aware of.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 2

head over to http://www.dayzdb.com/map      <<< you can set way point on there so it gives you an idea of how far you have to travel. You simply click on a location of the map and then click another location and it will draw the distance for you. As far as GPS, your brain will be your GPS :) You'll just have to learn your surroundings which in all honesty comes quick if you play enough. 

There are aslo Android and iphone apss out there as well which can help you navigate through the map. 

• Like 2

Then i guess its back to head mapping like the old dayz :) i usually use the browser map when im totally lost :P

The little one room cabins that are plain wood on the side with the door and yellow/blue on the other side have a 100% spawn chance for firearms by the beds in .50

• Like 1

man the way loot is spawning right now you can walk into most buildings or mil areas and find a gun now if your looking for a certain weapon it might get a little harder ammo for said guns is easy to obtain i have found alot of 5.56 ammo in tents which i throw in ponds and mosin/shotgun ammo in very abundant too and i actually found a lot of 5.45 ammo as well which i don't use so it ended up in said pond as well.

• Like 3

It really is coming through the walls. Last month I really worked hard to keep my avatar alive through this patch. One of the reasons is in .49 its was just hard to get geared up, and took a long time. I began settling for stuff. But in .50 everything I was missing in .49 I found rather quickly.

When .49 went to .50 stable, I was at novo. Bored with sourthern areas. I decided to move west to the new base, its a really good add. There's allot there and it has a much different feel to it. I explored it abit, but had to leave when I noticed a group running through. Serously a really good loot spawn found the new back pack, and some other items really quickly. I quickly swaped out my badly damaged hunters. Then I proceeded west. I hit up the tent city, in .49 there was vary little military gear there, now just about every tent had something in it. Good I most have saw 20 peices of military clothing and allot of other items. Rifles just lay n around.

.50 I think is probably the best patch I have seen hit stable. Really well done on the part of the devs! Even the rain effects are really good. I'm still leary of hot fixs so I'll keep an eye out for bad changes or changes that toughen it up. Knowing DayZ the party will be over vary soon :o

Have you guys been to any of the caves yet? There pretty asome

Edited by CJFlint

The little one room cabins that are plain wood on the side with the door and yellow/blue on the other side have a 100% spawn chance for firearms by the beds in .50

That's not funny. / :

Hello,

I was wondering what you concider the best way of obtaining a weapon.

Here is the deal, I have played ALOT of dayz(the mod to arma 2) and now that i started playing the standalone i have encountered a problem.

I play and i get almost fully geared all the time, plenty of food, water, medical supplies, backpack, tools, axe you name it, but i cannot find my self a decent weapon and end up dying when i encounter people(since being friendly obviously never arrived to the standalone).

I can find like a mosin, sporter 22, pistol and sometimes shotgun but i never find a magazine, and running around with 1 bullet in the magazine isnt really optimal if you run in to 4 bandits. The mosin can chamber more of course but i rarely have the ammo needed.

I was told balota airfield was an excellent spot to get a good weapon and some magazines and i have been there several times and found barely anything, it went so far that i tried to server hop at balota airfield to see if that really was a good spawnpoint for gear, I cannot even count how many servers i visited and barely found anything.

This server hopping was for testing only.

So now is my question where do you recommend to go?

Best regards,

Northling

What I do is to not aim for a weapon, then you will find one in no time! if you go around thinking I have to find a gun" you NEVER do, but if you are thinking about food or water, eventually you will find a gun, ammo, mags, you name it.  Its just the way the cookie crumbles! ;)  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

I have always found at least a repeater or the mp-133 in the train cars. The blue carts spawn mosins and sporters for days.. I usually go for the repeater or mp-133 because I find more .357 and buckshot than anything else. The clothing and backpacks are easy enough to come across. 

• Like 1

huh?

Everyone knows nothing spawns in the log buildings. :P

I just logged on and spent 20 minutes searching them..I feel cheated.

Its nice how many responses i get, at least the help in the forums are as good as it was :)

So if anyone have time could you explain your typical spawn routine?

and what is your favorite spawn point and why? :)

There are alot of thing that is different in this game so just want to make the best of it :) spent 30 min to run to the NE airfield to find that the hangars and barracks wasnt there >.<

Head further inland and checkout the military base's. That's where you'll find the guns you're looking for ( I assume you're looking for more than a rifle ;) )

In particular you could hit up the military base near Zelengorsk, as well check out the town of Zelengorsk. There is a prison on the south end as well as a barracks which usually will have AKM's inside it. 

Once you've checked out Zelengorsk, keep heading north to the North West Air Field (NWAF). There are tents there as well as barracks etc. You're bound to find what your'e looking for up there,but beware if you're on a populated server, your chances or running into another player up there is increased for sure. 

You're welcome to check my server out! See my signature. I have persistence off and 4 hour restarts. 

This guy knows what's up :), yeah head up to the NW man.

• Like 2

Everyone knows nothing spawns in the log buildings. :P

I just logged on and spent 20 minutes searching them..I feel cheated.

Since .50 the little village buildings have been great for loot, the ones I mentioned in particular always [so long as they haven't been looted recently] churn out at least 1 civilian weapon, I just entered one in Staroye and loot was glitched so it was spawning all over the place [5 MP5Ks in the police station] the spot by the beds in that cabin had 2 crossbows, 2 blazes, 2 repeater and MP133, a longhorn and loads of derringers.

Since .50 the little village buildings have been great for loot, the ones I mentioned in particular always [so long as they haven't been looted recently] churn out at least 1 civilian weapon, I just entered one in Staroye and loot was glitched so it was spawning all over the place [5 MP5Ks in the police station] the spot by the beds in that cabin had 2 crossbows, 2 blazes, 2 repeater and MP133, a longhorn and loads of derringers.

Me and my a friend have been finding MASSIVE amounts of ammunition/civilian weapons in the houses etc lately and I just wanna know if this is A. A fuck up B. A genuine DayZ lootspawn now or C. Hackers.

Your best bet is to find AK based rifle in the barracks. Note, only barracks can spawn a decent weapon and magazines for it.

Check military base north-west of Bolota and then head inland to Zelenogorsk, then go to military base north of Green Mountain, finally arriving at North West Airfield. You are only interested in barracks, any other military building will provide you with clothing, ammo or makarov mags. Tent/refuge camps used to provide you with decent amount of military gear, now they are limited to clothing, ammo, food, SKS and makarov mags.

Lastly if you have patience for it, you can search for helicopter crash sites, but after finding circa 5 of these sites, I can tell you that they are NOT worth the effort to find.

Me and my a friend have been finding MASSIVE amounts of ammunition/civilian weapons in the houses etc lately and I just wanna know if this is A. A fuck up B. A genuine DayZ lootspawn now or C. Hackers.

A fuck up most likely

• Like 1