saamohod

Machine guns in DayZ

MGs in DayZ  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Do machine guns suit the environment and the spirit of DayZ?

• Yes, they completely belong here
    • No, there is no place for machine guns in the game
    • I can't provide a clear "Yes or No" answer, and I'll explain why

Being a huge fan of machine guns in tactical shooters I am constantly dreaming about inclusion of those into the DayZ. I think they should be made rare item as well as shooting away scarce ammo should make them a luxury. I know machine guns were present in the mod but I never heard of the developers' plans to introduce this amazing kind of weaponry into the game. Has anyone heard what the official position on machine guns is? Am I (and probably many other enthusiasts) going to see these toys in DayZ?

Feel free to vote and express your opinion.
ar03030-BD.jpg

Edited by saamohod

well you can deny that machine guns exist, but you can make them rarer i suppose, and make civilian weapons more "common" the quotes meaning still rare, weapons should be rare, and consuming ammo should be a real problem, so machine guns will go out of ammo very quickly, 

Do you mean machine guns as in LMG's? Tbh the AKM with a drum mag is pretty much there already.

• Like 1

No. (because i don´t want dayz become an ordinary shooter)

If i want to play a game where i can shoot everything that moves i simple play one of the 1000 shooter games that are

allready out there.

But for this game HELL NO.

Do you mean machine guns as in LMG's? Tbh the AKM with a drum mag is pretty much there already.

I do mean LMGs in the first place (RPK, M249), but also GPMG (general purpose MG) like PKM, M60. The stuff that should be found in real military bases, although in rarer quantities compared to regular small arms.

The drum AKM would definitely fit the LMG niche provided it comes with a bipod that facilitates its deployed handling and accuracy.

Edited by saamohod

No. (because i don´t want dayz become an ordinary shooter)

If i want to play a game where i can shoot everything that moves i simple play one of the 1000 shooter games that are

allready out there.

But for this game HELL NO.

DayZ will not become an ordinary shooter by sheer introduction of MGs. You need unlimited ammo for this, not the MG. Ammo should remain scarce.

LMGs and GPMGs are definitely a thing - especially if the improve on weight and gun mechanics. But they should be quite rare, same for their attachments. At very high rarity even HMGs might have their place.

• Like 2

I think in one form or another they will make their way into the game.  As stated prior the AKM with a drum is quite spot on fitting the profile until further additions come in.

• Like 1

DayZ will not become an ordinary shooter by sheer introduction of MGs. You need unlimited ammo for this, not the MG. Ammo should remain scarce.

Well if its done the dayz way i don´t have to worry anyway because i fear you will have to put another bullet into the "machine" gun after every single shot anyway ;) If we have learned anything,,,, then that those eastern europeans may love their guns but they definitely hate it to own just a single  mag for their guns :)

• Like 1

Last I heard I thought something like that the RPK, PKM, or RPD was most likely in development? Can't confirm this right now however because I can't remember where I read that.

Edited by Geckofrog7

To be honest, if they implement hundreds of zombies, I have no problem with whatever manner of weapon they introduce as well.

They were in the mod in quite a few varieties. M249, M240 etc. To be honest most folks wanted to use DMR's and scoped rifles more often because of their usefulness. Occasionally a member of a group might grab one if they felt they might run into a vehicle, but typically encounters in Dayz favor those who can get the first accurate shot off, not who can put the most lead down range.

They should be included because in no way are they over powered, they come with their own drawbacks and benefits, and they fit the atmosphere as long as they spawn in appropriate areas.

• Like 2

Most LMGs wouldn't be too different than rifles with high-cap mags, save for being more specialized in their roles.

At the very least, an RPK or RPK-74 (or both) would be reasonable. alongside an RPD. However, I see nothing wrong with including a rather advanced setup of MGs; M249s, M240s, M60s (Preferably M60E4), PKs, MG3s, etc. So long as setting up belt-feeds/large magazines takes a while, the weapons have realistic handling, weight, recoil, and environmental conditions, they're perfectly fine.

• Like 1

This whole effort to avoid giving us good sniper and machine guns is probably why people pay for hacking the living shit out of this game.  It's the only way to have fun until they give us more zombies, cars, and better guns.

I don't mean that it's a good reason to do it, no one should ever hack no matter what.  I just wonder if that's why so many people hack is because there is not enough fun things to do yet.

Anyways, yes, I am all for MORE heavy guns but they should be very rare to find in the game.

Edited by danceswithzeds

Any gun in DayZ that fires in auto is already a machine gun. 

Iirc there was something in the files about an RPD. 

If we are going to have big guns there needs to be a downside to having them too.

Big guns and all the other stuff we carry need to slow u down...no sprinting with a big machinegun in ur hands and a big full backpack.

RPD machinegun weighs almost 8 kg...it would be silly if it didnt contribute significantly to slowing u down, compared to a pistol...also the energi expenditure should be much higher too.

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 1

If we are going to have big guns there needs to be a downside to having them too.

Big guns and all the other stuff we carry need to slow u down...no sprinting with a big machinegun in ur hands and a big full backpack.

RPD machinegun weighs almost 8 kg...it would be silly if it didnt contribute significantly to slowing u down, compared to a pistol...also the energi expenditure should be much higher too.

Thats the thinking .. Nothing wrong with having this type of weapon just add rather large problems that go with it (certainly make the ammo very rare so it becomes the unicorn sort by clans ,maybe even possible to mount on a civilian vehicle etc. I am not against adding much if it can be done in a semi realistic and balanced manner .

By balanced i dont mean fair i mean game mechanics wise...

• Like 1

Things that come to mind:

• higher weight (effect on stamina/fatigue and maybe movement speed)
  • more sway (when not used prone with bipod)
  • not able to be carried on the back via magic slot
  • very rare

Also things that might help a lotwhen adding specialized weapons:

• greatly reduced turn rate when prone
  • weight and stamina system
  • variable sway for different weapons
  • variable damage/velocity for different weapons (taking into account barrel length)
  • advanced ballistics (wind, weather, bullet penetration)
  • advanced weapon attachment system (more diverse instead onedimensionally decreasing dispersion)
  • advanced weapon degradadtion (barrel heat, maintenance)
  • centralized loot economy (for advanced rarity)
  • fixes for diverse exploits (duplication, server hopping)

I think everything beyond an assault/battle rifle should fall into the "awesome but impractical" category for the average survivor and only be truly effective in special situations or inside an organized team. And even basic military equipment should come with some significant disadvantages in this area (like ammo and equipment being much harder to find and maybe increased maintenance demand).

• Like 3

No need for MGs until we have hundreds of zombies in towns and heavy vehicles like Ural or Humvee. AKM with drum is more than enough. Once they are in game I would make them complicated to make them work if they are found. Let's say they can be found only on crashed helicopters and vehicles but as mounted version without butstock and bipod. So you have to find those elsewhere. Also, heavy MGs should require crew of two - gunner and ammo carrier. In one dayz submod M249 spawned in parts, separate barrel and receiver.

yes, and no. i'd like the idea of an rpk or m249 bravo
but they'd have to be rare, or made so it takes a few shots to take someone down.

but i really love the idea of being in a squad and having a SAW in the group. say you get into a firefight with another similar sized squad and your side wants out, an rpk would be a good suppression weapon. 

I know already that brian hicks said there will be some type of rare lmg in day SA, but i hope they make them so they arent like a god weapon.

Would be great so long as they truly gave the ballistics and shooting mechanics a work around.

Remove the akm drum mag introduce a rpk74 and pkm