Sign in to follow this  
Irish.

Lets talk persistence.

How does persistance function at the moment? If you drop loot in a random place how long will it stay there for? Does this mean more and more loot will be available on a server?

Backpacks, tents, ammo, and weapons we have confirmed will stay for days on end, even if untouched, when left on the ground. 

Everything else seems to get wiped rather quickly when placed on the ground, I believe after the next restart.

Its possible other things stay like vests, and cases.. but I and we (clan) have not tested this yet to my knowledge. 

• Like 2

Backpacks, tents, ammo, and weapons we have confirmed will stay for days on end, even if untouched, when left on the ground. 

Everything else seems to get wiped rather quickly when placed on the ground, I believe after the next restart.

Its possible other things stay like vests, and cases.. but I and we (clan) have not tested this yet to my knowledge.

What about loot respawning? I usually play on the same server and apart from the rare buildings with loot everywhere, loot doesn't seem to be replenishing even after server restarts. Is this the case for others or maybe it's thr server?

Why in the name of all that is Dean, did they implement persistence?

Isn't the real issue here the loot respawn mechanic?

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 1

What about loot respawning? I usually play on the same server and apart from the rare buildings with loot everywhere, loot doesn't seem to be replenishing even after server restarts. Is this the case for others or maybe it's thr server?

You should read the above posts...

Isn't the real issue here the loot respawn mechanic?

No.

Its about the persistence of the items that have spawned in.. the loot respawn mechanic is fine... But all of this would be a moot point if persistence was off, or not implemented. As those items, would not be spawning incorrectly like they are, and even if it did for a quick moment.. the server restart would clear it up. The only reason loot spawn mechanics are broken is because persistence is broken.  

Yeah.. but Im not whining.

Im questioning things, in an area that devs frequent, in the hopes that one of them reads this and thinks to themselves, "yeah, why are we fucking catering to the community?" 

Because I know that is why persistence is in stable. I want them to stop this whole line of communication thing.. its stupid. Just do work, and let us play. Separate the "Church and State" if you know what I mean.. 

But Im just pointing things out here, because in all honesty we all have options and we do not HAVE to play on persistence nor do we HAVE to even play DayZ. I am fully aware of the scope of where we are now and where this game is going.. but I am also aware of the fact that if they keep doing what they are doing, this game wont come out in its final state for a LONG TIME. But if they just focus on making the game, and releasing things for testing once they are actually ready.. not do: internal testing, its broke, fix it, do more internal, still broke, push to exp. build for further testing, still broke, push to stable, still broke, add in more items, push to beta, still broke, push to bug fix for the next 3 years because you have so many damned bugs in a game that is so complex that you realize how bad it is now that you have to fix all of those bugs at once rather than not implementing them until they work to a degree that is logical. 

I mean here is an example of what an Alpha is.. Im going to blow some minds here because everyone confuses Alpha with FIrst Playable or Early Alpha.. which is what we are in now:

"Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished. A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.  These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback. Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped. Programmers focus mainly on finishing the codebase, rather than implementing additions. Alpha occurs eight to ten months before code release."

If you read as much of what the devs say than other places, you'd know that this ALPHA is for releasing content, and releasing TONS of content.  They'll fix things that break, but ALPHA is about 'finishing the code base'.  The next stage, BETA, is when the 'broken' things in the game get refined, redone, and 'fixed'.  They have a simple form of barricading in the game, with lockpicks and locking doors.  OBVIOUSLY, it's not the final state, but it's content that is in the game.  We'll have vehicles soon, but not the final refined version.  We have one of the first iterations of loot cycling and persistence, which isn't complete, yet.  When the map is 'complete', when they won't be adding more towns or changing the terrain, they'll be going through the old towns (Cherno, Balota, Kamishovo, Elektro for example) and updating them with newer, more varied houses, and other buildings.

One of the biggest undertakings is the new renderer, which they've talked about for months, and have stated that it will take into Q1 2015.  When the renderer is in, that's when everything else will really get scrubbed and polished.  And the 'separation of church and state' reference is a silly one; that is, unless you can find it in the Constitution :)

Tents have been in the game since May and persistence has been in progress since then too. It is now mid November and persistence is still incredibly buggy and requires packing tents up weekly.

As far as I understand it persistence worked relatively well in standard Arma2 engine so this doesn't sound like it should have been a 6 month project to implement in SA. I understand complications do arise in the course of any project but this seems excessive for a core feature.

However, this development progress is slightly concerning as it causes me to doubt much more significant changes (new renderer, vehicles) will be implemented smoothly. More like big patch 0.60 to introduce vehicle models, but guess what they are not functional or driveable yet.

As others have said, the Stable hive offers a level of testing that they couldn't achieve through neither internal testing or experimental testing. The stable branch offers a wider array of feedback.

That, & because roadmap. Test & fix persistence now, so that they can focus on the mechanics of persistent items (such as vehicles), without having to worry about persistence itself in the future (roadmap).

Irish, y u no leik persistence¿  :huh:

Protector cases and med packs stays also. Not tested vests yet.

Tents have been in the game since May and persistence has been in progress since then too. It is now mid November and persistence is still incredibly buggy and requires packing tents up weekly.

As far as I understand it persistence worked relatively well in standard Arma2 engine so this doesn't sound like it should have been a 6 month project to implement in SA. I understand complications do arise in the course of any project but this seems excessive for a core feature.

However, this development progress is slightly concerning as it causes me to doubt much more significant changes (new renderer, vehicles) will be implemented smoothly. More like big patch 0.60 to introduce vehicle models, but guess what they are not functional or driveable yet.

If you ever played the mod, you will know that persistance was an issue from the very beginning :)

You could never be 100% sure items would stay and most of the time, when you dropped something in the mod, it simply vanished completely.

We also never ever had real persistance, as in i drop a gun on the ground and it stays after a server restart. It was only vehicles, characters and tents, that had persistant inventory basicly, but that was only if you remembered to "save" the object before a server restart, or it would vanish hehe. Good old times lol, much have improved since then, theres no doubt.

The persistance they are going for now, is way out of the mods league. I think thats why its causing trouble, combined with the global loot economy.

Remember this is still an early prototype of the system, so we cant expect it to work yet.

I also want to add, that i cant see anything wrong with adding it to the game. In fact Bohemia should add as much as possible to the game, as soon as possible, to collect as much data as possible, to correct as many bugs as possible.

I have no issues with the game mechanics breaking over and over again, and frankly if you expect anything else but tons of bugs and half working functions, at this stage, you are truly naive :)

To reach "perfection" one must build and destroy things, a 1000 times over, this is what is happening in DayZ atm.

Trial and error is the way they work, most of the people working on DayZ (programming side) has never done anything like this before, let alone made the RV engine do it, so dont expect them to know exactly how to create and fix everything, in a flash :)

• Like 1

There was so much loot spawned at one of the bases that my PC slowed to a crawl, then it crashed as I entered the main camo building.