Sign in to follow this  
UltimateGentleman

Bang stick

Now I don't know the right name for them or completely how they work but they've been in a few movies if my memory isn't corrupted.

Most recently in my memory, The Grey.

A Bang Stick is when you attach a bullet/shell of some sort to a stick so that you can stab with it and have the bullet/shell be fired.

So how about Shotgun Shell + Duct Tape + Stick = one time use Bang Stick?

It'd make for a great close quarters improvised weapon, either just to put someone down or when you're desperate.

Again I'm not quite sure how they work or if the "recipe" I put up makes sense but it doesn't have to be like that of course.

(not sure if this as been suggested before as I have no idea what the official name for it is)

• Like 2

They're normally used in Diving (as far as I know) to scare off sharks.  Think someone made a couple to kill gators or crocs.  Think my dad has/had one that was a .44 Magnum.  And they're not just bullets on the end of a stick, they're usually tubes that hold the bullet and have a striker in one of them.  You actually have to press it into the target to fire.  A wooden stick would probably break before you use enough force to strike the primer.

EDIT Picture added.  This is a 'gator' bangstick that can chamber a couple different calibers.  Diving one's not much different.

1pc_gator_bang.jpg

Edited by BigMike

They're normally used in Diving (as far as I know) to scare off sharks.  Think someone made a couple to kill gators or crocs.  Think my dad has/had one that was a .44 Magnum.  And they're not just bullets on the end of a stick, they're usually tubes that hold the bullet and have a striker in one of them.  You actually have to press it into the target to fire.  A wooden stick would probably break before you use enough force to strike the primer.

EDIT Picture added.  This is a 'gator' bangstick that can chamber a couple different calibers.  Diving one's not much different.

1pc_gator_bang.jpg

Yeah I know about those ones, would be cool if they were added too but I mostly mean one you can craft those are probably a bit complicated.

Or maybe we could just use some kind of pipe?

Fuck it I don't know, obviously it's illegal to make them out of sticks and stuff so not finding any guides on how to, either it's not possible and various movies featuring them have just been bullshit or it's just something like an engineer would know how to make without being taught.

In The Grey anyway I think they just use a pointed stick and tape a shotgun shell to the top so that when they stab at a wolf the tip hits the primer and sets it off, so maybe it would work?

It's pretty damn hard to find any info on them since it always comes back to the Boom Stick from Evil Dead...

1/4 inch steep pipe 2 feet long, nail, tape, rubber band. Homemade 12 gauge.

2 MRE heaters, canteen, 2 minute delay grenade.

Gas, flour, empty tin can with hole drilled in, nails, tape, rag, matches, homemade nail-shrapneled napalm.

Grenade, tape, fishing pole, precision grenade that you can REEL back onto enemys if you overthrow it.

Just a few (REEL) ideas

Edited by Owen.
  • Like 1

I think the mythbusters did an episode on this, with the conclusion that it would be easier and more effective to sharpen a stick and used at as good ol' fashioned spear.

I'm sad.

My hopes were up for a BOOM-stick-familiar shotgun.

Edited by irishroy
  • Like 1

Fuck it I don't know, obviously it's illegal to make them out of sticks and stuff so not finding any guides on how to,

Sometimes, I do such research for DayZ too. And when I do so, or educate myself about high power military-only firearms, or googling stoping power comparsions for different calibers, i really really hope the NSA isn't monitoring me :)

And if they do, ^ read here ^ it's just a game !!!

You're allowed to produce personal firearms. Certain states have statutes against "zip guns". Personally I find that racist and like norinco. I'm terrible.

I think the mythbusters did an episode on this, with the conclusion that it would be easier and more effective to sharpen a stick and used at as good ol' fashioned spear.

Well the legal ready made versions could still have their place in the game although I'm not sure why they'd be in the terrain, perhaps to kill livestock?

Shotguns, shells and these things would make sense to be around farm areas.

I think they'd be a cool weapon to use anyway.

Yeah I know about those ones, would be cool if they were added too but I mostly mean one you can craft those are probably a bit complicated.

Or maybe we could just use some kind of pipe?

Fuck it I don't know, obviously it's illegal to make them out of sticks and stuff so not finding any guides on how to, either it's not possible and various movies featuring them have just been bullshit or it's just something like an engineer would know how to make without being taught.

In The Grey anyway I think they just use a pointed stick and tape a shotgun shell to the top so that when they stab at a wolf the tip hits the primer and sets it off, so maybe it would work?

It's pretty damn hard to find any info on them since it always comes back to the Boom Stick from Evil Dead...

You're not finding any guides to make them out of wooden sticks because ITS A VERY BAD IDEA TO TRY EVEN IF IT DOES WORK which it probably won't.  Most sticks aren't hard enough to set off a primer.  You'd have to use like a 1"-1.5" diameter stick, bore out a chamber for the shell or bullet, set a nail or something else harder than brass at the bottom of the chamber, then slam it into whatever you're trying to kill, which probably won't have as much effect as using metal pipes.

Found part of the Mythbusters video, they managed to detonate a shotgun shell using a Brazilian hardwood 'stick' carved from what looks like a 2x4, and even then it didn't go off.  They had to use a nail on the end of the stick to actually fire the round.  The video cuts off but another video I can't link to shows that it did very little if any damage to the target AT POINT BLANK RANGE (in fact it looks like bits bounced off the target and would have hit them if not for that nice balistics glass box they were hiding behind).  That and the shell 'snaps' off where it's taped most of the time as well.

very little if any damage to the target AT POINT BLANK RANGE

To an animatronic doll, not a fleshy target.

It should work with a nail then, right? I'd imagine nails will be added at some point for base building or at least they should be.