anotherdeadhero

When will real ballistics and penetration be implemented ?

As the title suggests and the reason why i am posting this now is because of the implementation of the first vehicle coming to dayz.

The thing that worries me is that this vehicle is going to be bullet proof like almost everything else in this game, take tents for example. I may have missed something on the time frame of the dayz development but i am sure there is no mention of this. At the moment you can not shoot through anything, if it is an object it will stop bullets even if it is a thin piece of metal fence and that just seems absurd on a game which is trying to be as realistic as possible.

Has there been any mention on when this will be fixed or is this going to be something that stays with us until release, i really hope it does not because it does kind of ruin the immersion for me quite a bit.

Thanks.

I think it should take some time to destroy a vehicle with an automatic rifle. They can not just randomly explode like in movies. But otherwise yeah, even windows are bulletproof now for how long? 1 year already?

I think it should take some time to destroy a vehicle with an automatic rifle. They can not just randomly explode like in movies. But otherwise yeah, even windows are bulletproof now for how long? 1 year already?

That's a good point and also is that going to be the case for the windows of vehicles, i really hope not.

Hmmm don't you think changing major physics aspects like that would be counter intuitive while trying to swap for a new renderer and engine ? :0 although it's not the best time for stuff like that in alpha , I hardly think that they would leave vehicles and glass windows invincible for the 1.0 release , that's a huge thing that they can make strides on from the mod and if I remember correctly theyre switching the engine/renderer to break free of the engine limitations of the rv engine or whatever it was called so im assuming (very boldly) that well have stuff like this at least for the 1.0 release :) !

Hmmm don't you think changing major physics aspects like that would be counter intuitive while trying to swap for a new renderer and engine ? :0 although it's not the best time for stuff like that in alpha , I hardly think that they would leave vehicles and glass windows invincible for the 1.0 release , that's a huge thing that they can make strides on from the mod and if I remember correctly theyre switching the engine/renderer to break free of the engine limitations of the rv engine or whatever it was called so im assuming (very boldly) that well have stuff like this at least for the 1.0 release :) !

I sue hope so, but the thing is that they have a timeline for when they want to do things, i can't recall where it can be found but i am sure these were not on the list and to me it seems like it's not a small job since you will have to change a lot of values to make this work for every object in the game, should it not at least be on the list of things to do since release is getting ever closer. I'm not even sure When is this game planned to be released.

/insert sarcasm

I think all priorities in DayZ development should be decided by PvP death match.

We'll choose 1 player who represents each desired development priority and the last one standing gets their desired content or game mechanic developed first!

/close sarcasm

:facepalm:

• Like 1

Not sure if it was the case with vanilla but with ACE II mod you could penetrate the sides of M113s and other light armoured vehicles with 50 cals and kill those inside, if modders could do it to Arma 2 2 I don't see how it couldn't be done with DayZ

/insert sarcasm

I think all priorities in DayZ development should be decided by PvP death match.

We'll choose 1 player who represents each desired development priority and the last one standing gets their desired content or game mechanic developed first!

/close sarcasm

:facepalm:

Im not sure if your trying to be sarcastic here, but I support this idea you have 

A vehicle doesn't have to blow up in order to be destroyed. Give it a good burst of automatic fire at the engine block and there should be a very good chance that vehicle will be out of commission for good.

• Like 2

A vehicle doesn't have to blow up in order to be destroyed. Give it a good burst of automatic fire at the engine block and there should be a very good chance that vehicle will be out of commission for good.

This!  We don't need a fiery ball of death to destroy a vehicle, taking out it's engine or other critical components would result in the same thing.  It's not like we have access to full functional garages and an endless supply of parts.

Im pretty sure vehicles will be squishy and easily take damage from rounds. Like something in arma 2 /wasteland, you can disable vehicles by shooting tires or the engine block. or spray the driver with automatic gunfire.( shit was fun)  but i can see the SA vehicles being a complete pain in the ass to maintain and i can also see them taking damage pretty easily(or certain parts always needing to be replaced). If you run into something or get lit up. I think most of the physics are getting worked out since its seems like a new thingy they have been working on(like throwing ect), so id expect it to be awhile before it gets polished. They got a lot on their plate so we just need to be patient with things.

I dont see them being bullet proof unless you can add armor plates to them, but im thinking that might be more of a mod thing eventually(with armor). Idk if they had talked about being able to add armor plates to cars, if so then that should stop bullets. But i think either way in a car your more at risk to getting pwnt, since you can hear them coming from a distance and cars will and always will be bullet magnets

Hello there

I dont want to see hollywood fireballs like we have at the moment.

Ive been in and witnessed many crashes, not one flame was seen.

Im sure that one of the rationales for the advent of vehicles taking so long would be to improve them from A2/mod.

Lets wait and see.

Rgds

LoK

If they could somehow implement the ballistics model from arma 3 I would be happy, to my knowledge as long as the calibre is large enough you can punch through cars and what not as well as certain buildings.

Heres some examples of said ballistics, Red is max velocity then green is lower and so on, white is non lethal. I didn't bother including the 50.cal because it went clean through with almost no slow down so didn't really feel it was necessary, only part of the truck that stopped it was the engine block but it destroyed it.

7.62x51

4qgGdPn.jpg

bG7hSoC.jpg

Jy1hu9p.jpg

MnmyZHN.jpg

9mm

MSSCYXi.jpg

Edited by Sirwarriant12

No matter how you look at things, Shooting a tire should burst said tire.. Which causes the vehicle to become hard to handle, also fuel tanks on trucks tend to be exposed.. a couple shots to the tank should cause a few detrimental sparks.

In both cases, it's a combustion/pressure thing.

No matter how you look at things, Shooting a tire should burst said tire.. Which causes the vehicle to become hard to handle, also fuel tanks on trucks tend to be exposed.. a couple shots to the tank should cause a few detrimental sparks.

In both cases, it's a combustion/pressure thing.

Except shooting a fuel tank will just poke holes in it causing it to leak. Theres not enough oxygen in fuel tanks to cause explosions of any kind.

• Like 1

Except shooting a fuel tank will just poke holes in it causing it to leak. Theres not enough oxygen in fuel tanks to cause explosions of any kind.

And if its diesel, its even less likely to explode or catch on fire

• Like 1

At the moment you can not shoot through anything, if it is an object it will stop bullets even if it is a thin piece of metal fence and that just seems absurd on a game which is trying to be as realistic as possible.

If this is true it's a recent bug.  Because penetration was definitely a thing last time I played the SA.  You could shoot through most thin walls and doors.  Bullet type matters.

Stuff like the wood barn walls, metal/wooden fences, hangers, wooden doors, metal shacks all these things you can shoot through.

It should not blow up unless it's hit with something flammable.

Edited by anotherdeadhero

If this is true it's a recent bug.  Because penetration was definitely a thing last time I played the SA.  You could shoot through most thin walls and doors.  Bullet type matters.

Stuff like the wood barn walls, metal/wooden fences, hangers, wooden doors, metal shacks all these things you can shoot through.

I know you can shoot through the hangars but as far as i am concerned i am pretty sure you can not shoot through those thin metal walls, neither can you shoot through the wooden barns etc. Did some tests with some friends on this as well.

This brings me on to another question, they say there will be five different parts to the vehicle at first, i think it would be awesome if they all have a condition state and can be ruined like everything else.

When talking about exploding gas tanks it's worth noting that it is not the fuel itself that ignites, but the vapors coming off it. You can literally drop a match in some gasoline and it won't ignite. But hold the match slightly above the gasoline, and the vapors will ignite. 

When talking about exploding gas tanks it's worth noting that it is not the fuel itself that ignites, but the vapors coming off it. You can literally drop a match in some gasoline and it won't ignite. But hold the match slightly above the gasoline, and the vapors will ignite. 

It's also worth noting that bullets don't cause sparks when they hit something.

If they could somehow implement the ballistics model from arma 3 I would be happy, to my knowledge as long as the calibre is large enough you can punch through cars and what not as well as certain buildings.

Heres some examples of said ballistics, Red is max velocity then green is lower and so on, white is non lethal. I didn't bother including the 50.cal because it went clean through with almost no slow down so didn't really feel it was necessary, only part of the truck that stopped it was the engine block but it destroyed it.

What's funny is both of those examples of 7.62 are x51.

actually I've shot through windows many times, it even has this "cracked window animation" when you shoot through it, maybe not ALL windows but I've shot through all the windows that I've tried to.

Cheers mate! Stay warm and Don't Lost Your Beans! ;)  :lol:  :beans:  :thumbsup:

Vehicles, (lets face it) are going to be chaotic when they are released. there will be MANY MANY glitches and bugs and so on, so worrying about how "realistic" penetration on the vehicles is going to be, isn't the priority, but it is something good to talk about right now. But anyways vehicles I know for A FACT aren't just going to be "perfect one second" and "ashes on the ground" the next. Where a player shoots the vehicle, it determines a lot, if you shoot at the hood, the hood would smoke, and the vehicle would eventually stop working, and when you look under the hood, there will be many things that are ruined or badly damaged that the player has to fix. So what that means is vehicles aren't just going to be a "get it running" then "BOOM its gone" type of deal, they will require constant maintenance, especially if its always getting shot and sniped at while you drive through electo!

Cheers Mate! Stay Warm and Don't Lose Your Beans! ;)  :lol:  :beans:  :thumbsup: