Sign in to follow this  
Blankki

Server specific characters?

Ìs there possibility for servers to have server specific characters? Like when you switch servers the character doesn't carry over to new server. Getting fed up with the system where everyone can just server hop at military base and get loaded with everything...

And if there are, is there any way to tell which server has this kind of setting?

Private shards can provide what you are asking there are a few advertised for in the server section.

Thanks, yeah found one with private shard. I wish there was way to see more server details in the server browser. It's like going blind to different servers when you can't see what kind of settings they have :(

• Like 1

Thanks, yeah found one with private shard. I wish there was way to see more server details in the server browser. It's like going blind to different servers when you can't see what kind of settings they have :(

My recommendation would be to go through here find one of the shards that is both close to you and appears to have a good overall community thats stable.  Choose them and stick with it, if you dont like them more will pop up in the mean time.

Only see euro's jumping on the private shard wagon atm.  Pretty indicative of a few things...amirtie!?!?!?!?

Reading the descriptions of their servers it's comical:  "Keep PvP to designated areas".  Bandits and heroes must wear certain clothing to identify oneself.  

What are you gonna do, schedule hunting missions?  Who can bring back the most boar pelts gets a prize (a high capicity vest!!!!).  I really enjoy reading restrictions on gameplay in private shards at this point in development when gameplay is already inherently restrictive.  What else is there to do that run around, loot, try and make friends to go kill other groups.

This is my opinion, and not the absolute correct stance for everyone, but private shards that are trying to prohibit the most prominent style of play at the moment seem like a waste of money for most people.

I'm thinking about renting a private shard once the game is a bit further into development, with the idea of turning my server in a persistent world with a limited number of people having access. Not to impose silly rules like 'No KOS outside Cherno' or 'No PvP in Novo', but to create a world with some continuity. I'd love to see people banding together into groups, which then interact with each other to form alliances or rivalries, as well as have a few loners wandering around, and maybe some psychopaths as well. Basically I am hoping to turn this into Walking Dead Goes To Chernarus.

• Like 2

I'm thinking about renting a private shard once the game is a bit further into development, with the idea of turning my server in a persistent world with a limited number of people having access. Not to impose silly rules like 'No KOS outside Cherno' or 'No PvP in Novo', but to create a world with some continuity. I'd love to see people banding together into groups, which then interact with each other to form alliances or rivalries, as well as have a few loners wandering around, and maybe some psychopaths as well. Basically I am hoping to turn this into Walking Dead Goes To Chernarus.

Well yes.  To me it seems like you should want to promote your clan/gaming community by owning a private shard and being active in keeping it a clean server.  Other than that you should let the game/server play out normally.  I understand that people have different ideas and my main point is that those rules/archetype servers seem like a waste of money NOW because there is a very limited gaming experience in standalone right now.

I would like to join a private shard down the road and make a name for myself there and on other private shards, I think that's more fun that server hopping a public hive but ATM that's not really feasable if I'm not allowed to do whatever I want.  I think the hosters are doing a disservice to themselves by imposing server laws for their private shards.  Sure if you want your server to be the server where people hunt rabbits, get together every wednesday night in a church and sing, and then on Sunday play hide and see at Windy Mountain that's good for you and your 4 person community.  I don't see that being sustainable for any private gaming community in the current game state.

You want rivalries, rent a server in straya.

• Like 1

Well yes.  To me it seems like you should want to promote your clan/gaming community by owning a private shard and being active in keeping it a clean server.  Other than that you should let the game/server play out normally. 

Honestly, it's not even about clans. I'm interested in creating a version of Chernarus that feels like a living, developing world, rather than just a sandbox with no continuity for people to randomly jump in and out of. 

• Like 3

Damn, I waited for private shards for so long, but now they are there persistence still doesnt work. 

This is my opinion, and not the absolute correct stance for everyone, but private shards that are trying to prohibit the most prominent style of play at the moment seem like a waste of money for most people.

Isn't that the whole point? their rules aren't there to make everyone happy, but to facilitate a gaming experience that they and like minded people enjoy.

What else is there to do that run around, loot, try and make friends to go kill other groups.

Hunting, fishing, reading books, having a camp-fire, taking walks in the woods. 

I mean you can do all that in real world. But the fuck wants to live there. 

/sarcams

Some people here even suggested that we should be able to make farms where new players can get jobs. You know you log in into DayZ a hardcore survival horror game and you work on a field. 

Edited by General Zod

Some people here even suggested that we should be able to make farms where new players can get jobs. You know you log in into DayZ a hardcore survival horror game and you work on a field.

in fallout online, you cold shovel shit for money... I guess it beats being a hands on fluffer for a living :) Edited by Mor

Sort by private hives, and get used to playing on them and keeping somewhat track of your characters. The public hive will be dead within 3 months. Bohemia doesn't want to admit that they know that, but the public hive has been on life support since private hives rolled out, here AND the mod.

I'm interested in creating a version of Chernarus that feels like a living, developing world, rather than just a sandbox with no continuity for people to randomly jump in and out of. 

You can have this without completely separating the servers (which comes with other issues due to the limited economy size and capacity). To do so simply attach a fairly high cost - like some significant waiting time - to server switching (especially rapid switching). Hopping would still be possible but not really viable and very boring.

This way servers are no longer parallel planes you can shift between by a mere sidestep but more like islands that are separated but you are able to travel from one to another if really want to. With working persistance more people might decide to play on one particular server but in contrast to completely separated servers you are not forced to play on them - and you can meet up with friends who started playing on a different server. And for gameplay reasons the world would be much larger allowing for a more diverse gameplay and more gameplay options.

Server hopping for gear is just like teleporting around the world to make a fruit salad. You jump around until you have everything you need - but nobody does this in the real world because teleporting is impossible and the alternative (traveling from tree to tree all over the world) is way to costly (and your fruits will probably go bad in the meantime). So what do we actually do? We let someone else pick those fruits and then trade for them. But that would be impossible if we created impenetrable barrier between them.

The problem is the quick and no-risk travel between servers not the connection between them.

The problem is the quick and no-risk travel between servers not the connection between them.

No the problem is that you can't differentiate between someone who is server hopping, and someone having connection issues, looking for a better server(people, setting etc), or got invited somewhere.

Again, server hopping is only a small part of the reason I want to run a private server. My main concern is weeding out the crap players from the good ones. As funny as they may be, I'm not interested in massive silly dance parties, or CoD-style team deathmatches at the airfield, or a legion of squeakers killing everyone on sight.

Again, server hopping is only a small part of the reason I want to run a private server. My main concern is weeding out the crap players from the good ones. As funny as they may be, I'm not interested in massive silly dance parties, or CoD-style team deathmatches at the airfield, or a legion of squeakers killing everyone on sight.

Allow me to rephrase your answer into what you mean but phrased in plain words :

I want private server to only let survival PvE only hermits play. I want them to play the game my way, I want them to struggle for survival enough though the survival is barely out of it's diapers. 

Allow me to rephrase your answer into what you mean but phrased in plain words :

I want private server to only let survival PvE only hermits play. I want them to play the game my way, I want them to struggle for survival enough though the survival is barely out of it's diapers. 

Read a little more attentively. I said I want a server when the game is in a more advanced stage and the core elements of the game are working properly. By which I mean a challenging survival aspect, working persistence, and maybe basic base-building. To me, PvE includes PvP, since the players are part of the environment. 

And if you must know, the idea was to invite people from these boards as well. But not you. 

Read a little more attentively. I said I want a server when the game is in a more advanced stage and the core elements of the game are working properly. By which I mean a challenging survival aspect, working persistence, and maybe basic base-building. To me, PvE includes PvP, since the players are part of the environment. 

And if you must know, the idea was to invite people from these boards as well. But not you. 

At no point you mentioned that you want the server when the game is in later stages. First part of your post is about server hopping, second about who you don't want there. 

Oh my god I care so little I almost passed out. 

Edited by General Zod

At no point you mentioned that you want the server when the game is in later stages. First part of your post is about server hopping, second about who you don't want there. 

Oh my god I care so little I almost passed out. 

It was literally the first sentence of the first post I made in this topic. Don't they teach comprehensive reading in the Phantom Zone? 

Still, you care. I know you do. I can sense it. 

It was literally the first sentence of the first post I made in this topic. Don't they teach comprehensive reading in the Phantom Zone? 

Still, you care. I know you do. I can sense it. 

First post was not what I replied to. 

And no I don't. If anything I'm glad they will add private shards, most of the survival hermit crowd will go away with their ideas of farming and game not being supposed to be fun. 

First post was not what I replied to. 

And no I don't. If anything I'm glad they will add private shards, most of the survival hermit crowd will go away with their ideas of farming and game not being supposed to be fun. 

Right, so your defense is 'I didn't read the whole thing, just the thing that made me ANGRY!'. Have you considered a career in politics?

And FYI, I don't plan on farming much. I'll have people to do that for me. 

and someone having connection issues, looking for a better server(people, setting etc), or got invited somewhere.

Because those people would totally not have to start from the beginning if servers had private characters.

There are several possibilities here (using "waiting time" as cost - there are other ideas as well):

1. Limit each character to a single server: A big "fuck you!" to server hoppers, people looking for a better server and everyone above the population cap. No connection means a smaller loot economy and the world is basically limited to a single map.
  2. A high (fixed) cost for server switching: The little brother of the one above - a major annoyance to server hoppers and people looking for a better server. Not for people above the population cap as they can just join the new server right away - still they might have friends or stashes on the full one. As there is a connection the loot economy is big and single maps are like islands you can travel between.
  3. A increasing cost for server switching: Does allow switching but the cost goes up rapidly - so after one or two servers you better settle down or enjoy waiting times in limbo. In terms of world and economy size this offers about the same advantages as the second option but limited server hopping and switching is still possible at a relatively low cost. Excessive switching (for whatever reason) gets costly however.
  4. A low cost for servers switching: Thats what we got now. Moving to another server is quick, low-risk and high-reward. Specifically the "road" between NWAF on server A to NWAF on server B is much shorter and much less dangerous than the road from NWAF to Vybor military base on server A. Its like different floors in a big building where all rooms are connected by elevators. Good for: people who want to switch for a better server, server hoppers, ghosters, combat loggers. Moderately good for people above the population cap as their stuff might still be on another server - though they can switch there quickly. Bad for people who actually want to play on the map for some time.

I think the 4th option offers way too much mobility (its like a free "plane shift" spell for everyone) while the first option offers too little. So instead of aiming at the extremes that both come with huge downsides it might be better to go in between and chose an option that discourages excessive server switching while still providing the connectivity needed for a big world and economy.

There is not only 0 or 1 - and the most radical solution is usually the worst.

Right, so your defense is 'I didn't read the whole thing, just the thing that made me ANGRY!'. Have you considered a career in politics?

And FYI, I don't plan on farming much. I'll have people to do that for me. 

No, I read it all and I don't see how it would make me angry I have no intentions of playing on the private shards unless in the future something interesting modded in on one, 

Well you may not plan to do so, but we have people here who would make new spawns work on their farm, or go on some epic quests to get AKM for their "employer".