Sign in to follow this  
synystr

What am I not getting about warmth?

I have died numerous times to hypothermia. I don't get what I am doing wrong. In a fit of frustration I went looking for the warmest clothes instead of playing normally. Ended up wearing a down jacket, gloves, beanie/touque, hiking boots and jeans. I was still "promptly cooling off". Even built a fire to no avail. 

I don't know about you guys, but Chernarus doesn't look like Baffin Island in the winter to me. In fact, it looks kind of pleasant. If it is an Arctic wasteland, then put snow on the ground and give me a parka or some sort of NASA designed extreme environment suit with controlled internal atmosphere or something. Why is it so cold in Chernarus? I can understand at night or in the rain but it looks like a comfortable 15 degrees or so during the day. That's shorts weather in Canada, eh? 

Or let us choose a nationality. I can understand someone from California or North Africa freezing to death in 15 degree weather, but a hearty Scandinavian, Canadian or Russian takes advantage of that and sunbathes.

Make sure the clothing you're wearing is in good condition, otherwise it will have little to no effect.

Sprinting around also heats up your character, but be careful because it will dehydrate you faster (I think).

Good luck and keep warm :)

Hmm could be the issue. But still, Chernarus doesn't look THAT cold. I shouldn't get hypothermic wearing jeans and a hoodie. Then again, I am Canadian. Maybe I am biased towards how cold cold feels.

• Like 3

Current stable is probably set in late autumn temperature-wise. And it seems you won't be able to go hyperthermic no matter how hard you try. Current experimental is much warmer - but I did not get into dangerous areas yet - only "Hot" with the help of a campfire.

I'm Canadian also, and I understand why you're wondering why there's no snow if our characters are getting that cold lol. But the way the map looks seems a bit better looking than a frozen wasteland IMO.

Make sure you don't build the fire on the second floor of buildings. Apparently there's a bug that makes the heat go through the floor. Also, make sure to wear a raincoat when it's raining. Even if it says you're cooling off, it doesn't always mean you'll get so cold to the point of death, depending on clothes you wear and whatnot. You can search DayZ temperature guides on YouTube. Some of those are pretty helpful.

Worn + will keep you alive.  Below that will slowly cool you off.  Current stable is really hard to die from being cold unless you get rained on for a long long time.  

If you are near a fire, it will cure "damp" before heating you up if your clothes are wet.  I read somewhere .50 will be a September month setting, so it'll be much warmer I think.

I have noticed that on "server A" I have been constantly been getting cold whereas on "server B" I am slowly getting warm. Not sure if that's a persistence on/off thing or not. I have also noticed that some buildings, if you build a fire inside it, you will not get warm but others work fine.

I have died numerous times to hypothermia. I don't get what I am doing wrong. In a fit of frustration I went looking for the warmest clothes instead of playing normally. Ended up wearing a down jacket, gloves, beanie/touque, hiking boots and jeans. I was still "promptly cooling off". Even built a fire to no avail. 

I don't know about you guys, but Chernarus doesn't look like Baffin Island in the winter to me. In fact, it looks kind of pleasant. If it is an Arctic wasteland, then put snow on the ground and give me a parka or some sort of NASA designed extreme environment suit with controlled internal atmosphere or something. Why is it so cold in Chernarus? I can understand at night or in the rain but it looks like a comfortable 15 degrees or so during the day. That's shorts weather in Canada, eh? 

Or let us choose a nationality. I can understand someone from California or North Africa freezing to death in 15 degree weather, but a hearty Scandinavian, Canadian or Russian takes advantage of that and sunbathes.

Are you actually freezing to death, or are you simply cooling off and a bit cold?

Because there is qutie a big difference.

Sounds like you figured it out. IF the clothes you ended up in are dry you will not freeze, it still may tell you your cooling off, but you wont freeze, I doubt you even would get cold.

Edited by PongoZ

Are you actually freezing to death, or are you simply cooling off and a bit cold?

Because there is qutie a big difference.

No I've died of hypothermia and on my current one I'm at the "orange" state of cold, despite wearing the warmest clothing, building a fire and it being clear skies and day.

No I've died of hypothermia and on my current one I'm at the "orange" state of cold, despite wearing the warmest clothing, building a fire and it being clear skies and day.

The FIres not warming you up? That's really strange. It always worked for me. Even when I somehow managed to build it halfway up a tree, though I had to get really close that time.

I'm going to assume you're not getting any status messages about 'I'm warming up'? Try getting closer to the fire maybe?

Are you building the fire indoors or outdoors? I've been seeing lots of people talking about indoor fires not working properly.

15 degrees or so during the day. That's shorts weather in Canada, eh? 

I live in Scotland and bloody hell that's hot :P

I had issues with heating up too last time I played had a raincoat on I think a hat, gloves and trousers all in decent condition.

Made a fire outside and would only get "My face is melting!" up close and more than like a meter away "cooling down"

Meaning not standing ON the fire or leaving it at all would send me on my way to hypothermia...

Just died because of getting wet and not being able to warm up, was a downhill ride from there.

Clothes weren't super for bad weather, but pristine otherwise. Cargo pants, hoodie, helmet, gloves, mil. boots. 

My character died within 20 goddamn minutes of getting wet. Retarded. 

• Like 2

Just died because of getting wet and not being able to warm up, was a downhill ride from there.

Clothes weren't super for bad weather, but pristine otherwise. Cargo pants, hoodie, helmet, gloves, mil. boots.

Dayz SA: been pwning since decemeber '13.. But it seems to affect a very small minority in this way , I've never died of hypothermia except for when .49 was on experimental I believe , no one could keep warm cuz axes , matches , and food were so scarce and i believe it was set to winter months ... But now the only ones dying of hypotermia seem to be the ones that are glitched and can't warm up by the fire . It's gotta be a location / server glitch but also like others have said make sure your clothing is pristine and that you wring out your wet clothes when they get wet , also hoodies even when pristine don't seem to warm people up for shit lol

I don't get it either, one time I was LAYING on top of a fire while hypothermic, for 5 minutes (really), and I still could not warm up.

I don't get it either, one time I was LAYING on top of a fire while hypothermic, for 5 minutes (really), and I still could not warm up.

Did you happen to build this camp fire inside? If so they are glitched and do not work indoors atm

I think there's a zero chance of dying of hypothermia in Chernarus.. The lowest the temperature would get in there (by the looks of it) would be like 10 C.

I read somewhere that persistence servers are currently bugged so cold/heat isn't working properly, and people will keep losing heat no matter what.

I really do hope its bugged because having cycling characters ever 2 hours or so because I freeze to death is comical and literally making me quit this game after 350 hours or so logged. I got my money's worth though. The way I figure it, hours played >= price x 10. 

Get indoors and "wring" your clothes out! After several times they will change from soaked, to wet, to damp, to dry (if pristine)!

Edited by Boon

Are we talking regular or experimental here? Because on regular I can run around all day in the rain and be absolutely fine. Once or twice I've had to build fires, but that's over the course of five or six weeks of survival on one character.

Perhaps this is because of the pristine Gorka camo clothing I was lucky enough to find long ago. A balaclava and a boonie hat help too.