Sign in to follow this  
venkman302

Locking doors in experimental.

I read somewhere yesterday that they had put locked doors and lockpicks in the current features on experimental.  

Are these actually in the exp. client currently?  How does this work?  Anyone?

Wait what the fuck?

So you can genuinely lock yourself in a house and be unable to get out lol, lockpicks shouldn't be breakable until we can climb out windows or kick doors down.

What if you lock yourself in a house and then someone shoots you and the pick gets ruined? Stuck in the house forever unless you can damage the door enough to get out...

Punching shouldn't work for obvious reasons..

• Like 1

What if you lock yourself in a house and then someone shoots you and the pick gets ruined?

Any gun or melee weapon can open locked doors with little to no effort.

And if you have none?

Someone didn't have the patience to watch a full 2 mins 30 video :)

I did.

Punching a door 100 times to unlock it is kind of ridiculous, of course that's placeholder but if in the end we can still punch them down that's just silly.

damned if I'm gonna lock myself into a room that a zombie (or six) can suddenly just fucking clip into.

• Like 3

Imagine going into a jail on a base and locking the door behind you. You'll have a LOT more warning that someone is coming when you hear them not only shoot/hit the door but also open it.

It'll also be great to watch bambis enter buildings looking for loot and them run up and lock them in. I'd find that perhaps more amusing than cuffing them!

• Like 4

How about a grenade >:)

That would be fun, a bunch of people hold up in a locked house, and the door gets blown completely off :D 

Wait,

I'm excited they are going to implement such an interesting feature in the game...... but please tell me why on Earth would they start working on this if zombies seem to be going through walls and doors just as bad today as months before?  What is the point of locking a door if zombies don't even recognize a lot of the walls?

This is absolute insanity and a strange way to waist time and effort.

And if you have none?

I did.

Punching a door 100 times to unlock it is kind of ridiculous, of course that's placeholder but if in the end we can still punch them down that's just 

Erm

Wait what the fuck?

So you can genuinely lock yourself in a house and be unable to get out lol, lockpicks shouldn't be breakable until we can climb out windows or kick doors down.

What if you lock yourself in a house and then someone shoots you and the pick gets ruined? Stuck in the house forever unless you can damage the door enough to get out...

Punching shouldn't work for obvious reasons..

You obviously didn't, or did not pay attention  :)

Edited by Beav

It'll also be great to watch bambis enter buildings looking for loot and them run up and lock them in. I'd find that perhaps more amusing than cuffing them!

Ha - thats a great idea.  We can taunt them from outside the windows :)

• Like 1

I guess this is a first trial, just to see what happens and what players make of it. to find out what comes up in the play.

Obviously you can get in or OUT of a locked door pretty quick, even with your bare hands

100 punches seems to be the longest and most difficult way through a locked door but anyone can do that - so no locking victims in the jail cell, for instance...

At least (e.g. at the fire-station .. or any building) you get a half-secondwarning that a locked door is going to open, because you hear the shot or the axe blow (I hope), unless the other player has a lock-pick too.

Pity about the zombs... seemed to me they were getting a LOT better at noticing shut doors. I haven't had one come through a closed door since the last update, except sometimes if I shut the door as they were just about entering.. even then it often stops them. It's my standard technique for getting rid of irritating zombs.. shut the doors before you loot.

Maybe the zombie thing is just an object definition slip-up that a "locked door" is not yet on the same list as a "shut door" ?

Good stuff, overall.. nice.

xx

• Like 1

Pity about the zombs... seemed to me they were getting a LOT better at noticing shut doors. I haven't had one come through a closed door since the last update, except sometimes if I shut the door as they were just about entering.. even then it often stops them. It's my standard technique for getting rid of irritating zombs.. shut the doors before you loot.

Maybe the zombie thing is just an object definition slip-up that a "locked door" is not yet on the same list as a "shut door" ?

Good stuff, overall.. nice.

xx

Man, I guess you never, ever have been in the long barracks of any military base or about 20 other certain buildings that zombies have been plowing through the walls of every since they first tried the so called "pathing".     It's hard for me to believe you play the game consistently but never see zombies go through the walls?   There are dozens of certain buildings that allow zombies to go through them.  Also, have you not seen a single crawler/hopper zombie come after you?  I think they can go through even more walls and doors than the walking zombies.

I'm excited they are going to implement such an interesting feature in the game...... but please tell me why on Earth would they start working on this if zombies seem to be going through walls and doors just as bad today as months before?

Because that's two completely different kinds of shoes.

• Like 1

Wait,

I'm excited they are going to implement such an interesting feature in the game...... but please tell me why on Earth would they start working on this if zombies seem to be going through walls and doors just as bad today as months before?  What is the point of locking a door if zombies don't even recognize a lot of the walls?

This is absolute insanity and a strange way to waist time and effort.

Because alpha is more about adding all the systems and have them working at a very rough stage and then adjusting them when they are all implemented so that stuff won't get fucked up every time you add something new? 

Man, I guess you never, ever have been in the long barracks of any military base or about 20 other certain buildings that zombies have been plowing through the walls of every since they first tried the so called "pathing".     It's hard for me to believe you play the game consistently but never see zombies go through the walls?   There are dozens of certain buildings that allow zombies to go through them.  Also, have you not seen a single crawler/hopper zombie come after you?  I think they can go through even more walls and doors than the walking zombies.

Yes - well dude I only have 858 hours on record in DayZ SA, according to Steam today  .. so ya can't expect me to know everything.

Thanks for the update and I'll look out for the "zombies plowing through walls ever since they first tried the so called pathfinding" . Thanks for putting me straight.  I HAVE been hit by zombs three or 4 times through walls, in the past  - just once in a barracks, it was a one shot kill too -  but the zomb was definitely outside when that happened, and that was WAY back in the past.

I certainly won't bother shutting any doors behind me any more now that I know it doesn't work.

If it's not the doors -  I wonder what it is that keeps all those zombs howling outside, and running round from front to back following me outside - while I wander around inside?

Just my luck I guess?  Maybe when I get up towards 900 hours of play this lucky run will change. I'd better be more careful, hu? Thanks again. Good luck.

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

And if you have none?

I did.

Punching a door 100 times to unlock it is kind of ridiculous, of course that's placeholder but if in the end we can still punch them down that's just silly.

I think that punching it 100 times is fine. But I do not think that hitting it once with an axe is.

I think that punching it 100 times is fine. But I do not think that hitting it once with an axe is.

Agreed. Whether or not the punching is eventually replaced with kicking or something, it properly resembles breaking through using brute force. One hit from the axe seems much too easy though - it should take multiple hits for both the axes and the sledgehammer to properly resemble either making a hole big enough to get through or disabling/disconnecting the lock.

Edited by solodude23
  • Like 1

Agreed. Whether or not the punching is eventually replaced with kicking or something, it properly resembles breaking through using brute force. One hit from the axe seems much too easy though - it should take multiple hits for both the axes and the sledgehammer to properly resemble either making a hole big enough to get through or disabling/disconnecting the lock.

Aye, but as it stands its a great start! My troll ass friends were running around barazeno last night locking all the doors....

• Like 1

It depends on the type of door, really.

An exterior door, made of wood? That can tank a couple of axe-blows, but it will still break.

And interior one? HAHAHAHA

It depends on the type of door, really.

An exterior door, made of wood? That can tank a couple of axe-blows, but it will still break.

And interior one? HAHAHAHA

True enough, but I think that all exterior doors should take more than 3 swings with an axe, simply for the sake of gameplay. 

And on that note, how cool would it be if you slowly broke down the door 'HERES JOHNNY' Style?

True enough, but I think that all exterior doors should take more than 3 swings with an axe, simply for the sake of gameplay. 

And on that note, how cool would it be if you slowly broke down the door 'HERES JOHNNY' Style?

I dunno, give me an axe, and so long as the door isn't made of metal, I can get through it with only a few swings.

Proptip: use the poll, not the bit, and aim for the hinges (or where the hinges would be), and for the space just inside the handle/locking mechanism. You should either break the hinges/lock entirely, or rip the retaining screws right out of the door. Now, an outside-opening door will be more difficult to break than an inside-opening one, due to the lip of the jam.

Honestly, I found it harder to break through an older, barred-style (AKA wooden bar across inside of door) than a modern one.

Really, locking a door isn't going to keep someone out if they want to get in. Arbitrarily increasing the resilience of doors to "improve gameplay" isn't really going to change that. If I want to get into your building, and the door is locked, I'll take the door out of the jam (removing hinges, break the door entirely), go in through a window, or, hell, use a hammer, axe, or saw and go in through the wall. You can bust through modern sheet facing pretty easily, so long as you avoid the studs.

Edited by Whyherro123

What is the point of locking a door if zombies still ignore some of the walls and doors? This is such a horrible and weird way to prioritize their development.

I'm literally at a loss for words.

The point is for players to be unable to enter or leave. At some unknown time in the future the zombie clipping thing will most likely be fixed. I find that it works quite well to shut zombies out of a building as it is now. The biggest issue is when they punch the building and hit you inside. That ought to be a priority to fix.