Sign in to follow this  
venkman302

Locking doors in experimental.

I dunno, give me an axe, and so long as the door isn't made of metal, I can get through it with only a few swings.

Proptip: use the poll, not the bit, and aim for the hinges (or where the hinges would be), and for the space just inside the handle/locking mechanism. You should either break the hinges/lock entirely, or rip the retaining screws right out of the door. Now, an outside-opening door will be more difficult to break than an inside-opening one, due to the lip of the jam.

Honestly, I found it harder to break through an older, barred-style (AKA wooden bar across inside of door) than a modern one.

Really, locking a door isn't going to keep someone out if they want to get in. Arbitrarily increasing the resilience of doors to "improve gameplay" isn't really going to change that. If I want to get into your building, and the door is locked, I'll take the door out of the jam (removing hinges, break the door entirely), go in through a window, or, hell, use a hammer, axe, or saw and go in through the wall. You can bust through modern sheet facing pretty easily, so long as you avoid the studs.

Exactly why the keywords i chose were 'gameplay reasons'. It doesnt matter to me how something works in real life. Now i think there should be a reasonable amount of effort required to open doors, and yes not all doors should be created equal.

Something else that would effect how easy they should be to open would be how common say fireaxes are. Sure maby a fireaxe should take out a basic door in two swings, but that axe could be very hard to find one so not everyone would have it available.

I hope in future instead of just shooting doors we should have to shoot the hinges, and that should break the door completely.

Other damage should be fixable with miscellaneous wood I think, just so if someone wrecks your base but you survive you can fix it up again but if they shoot the hinges you should have to get a whole new door.

Imagine seeing people run around with doors, lol.

But that would be great if doors became an item when knocked off, they'd be great for barricades, bridges even. Couple of doors and some sheet metal for a mostly bullet proof cover zone. Transporting them could be an issue, shouldn't be able to run full speed with them in hand and switching to weapons would need to be super responsive.

Perhaps we could get a blanket or something and put the door on it and drag it along? That way we could let go at a moments notice to defend ourselves or maybe hold a pistol in one hand.