Sign in to follow this  
con_hathy (DayZ)

Emotions-Possible KOS Deterrent

I oppose any kind of morality system as it will definitely fail to make people "do the right thing" but instead cause people to "follow the law and abuse the hell out of it". I think a better way is not to include an artificial system but rather introduce rewards for cooperation (so called "end game features"), ingame features for character/player identification and more reasons to trade favors.

This forum has a search function you know

as much as I like the idea of sitting around a camp fire jamming out on my acoustic with zombies and 12 year old kids looking to shoot me and steal my stuff... ha jp. I think there should be some kind of system added. when I posted the gut feeling idea I wasn't really looking for something that secludes a person to a bandits or heroes role but I guess it did. just a system that gives a little reward makes the game fun. cause really what do you do after you get all the gear you want. you either kill on sight and harass people, or you take a chance and talk or help someone out its eventually going to get old. just a little something to strive for good or bad would be cool.

just a system that gives a little reward makes the game fun. 

rust-cohle-religion.jpg

Just change divine for in game. 

• Like 2

Any morality system would be:

1) limiting

2) clunky

3) badly implemented

4) frustrating

5) unnecessary

It would make way more sense to just do what the devs are doing... the game is getting harder (hypo/hyper for example) and so over time there will be less players with unlimited ammo and food sitting around bored looking for someone to kill. Once the game gets hard enough, these people will start rage-quitting pretty quickly, as they signed up for the easy-to-master broken alpha, not the you-are-going-to-die complex full release. Could we stop calling them 12 year olds though? Seems like an unfair generalisation (most of the bandits I have met who spoke to me seemed to be in their 20's).

Its a survival game. Get the fuck over it.

You think I am going to walk up and shake your hand every time I see another person? (Pretty sure you wouldn't do that in real life).

I sometimes KOS and I don't give a flying fuck either.

KOS will always exist.

No. Just no. An emotion system would ruin it. DayZ is about the player's choice, if that choice is made, it's made..If it affects the player it affects the player. Shouldn't change "emotions" or how your survivor performs..

Let's drag The Walking Dead into this:

Take Rick Grimes. Dude looks like a bewildered animal, and has killed more live humans than anyone else on the show. This suggested gut feeling would tell you to run the fuck away from this crazy bastard. But Rick is a good person at heart, and only kills to defend himself or his group.

Let's drag The Walking Dead into this:

Take Rick Grimes. Dude looks like a bewildered animal, and has killed more live humans than anyone else on the show. This suggested gut feeling would tell you to run the fuck away from this crazy bastard. But Rick is a good person at heart, and only kills to defend himself or his group.

This. Killing is sometimes necessary, and doesnt always make you a bad person.

However, Id like something like this Im about to explain.

*READ THIS*

Hero Perks

Hero Boots- Needs to give 10 blood/saline bags, lasts slightly longer than other shoes.

Hero Jeans- Need to give 20 blood/saline bags, has 6 slots.

Hero Shirt- Need to give 50 blood/saline bags, has 2 slots and looks great.

Hero Vest- Need to give 100 blood/saline bags, reduces damage slightly better than a UK Assualt Vest

Hero Cap- Comes with vest, offers more sun protection than other ball caps. Comes with gloves

Bandit Perks

Bandit Boots- Needs kill 10 players, lasts slightly longer than other shoes.

Bandit Jeans- Need to kill 20 players, has 6 slots.

Bandit Shirt- Need to kill 50 players, has 2 slots and looks great.

Bandit Vest- Need to kill 100 players, reduces damage slightly better than a UK Assualt Vest

Bandit Mask- Comes with vest, offers more cold protection than other masks. Comes with gloves.

There. No side has better stuff, and isnt forces. IT IS AN OPTION IN THE MENU WHERE YOU CHANGE YOUR FACE AND CLOTHES.

And to solve the camo/colors being better than the other?

Hero skin gear would be identical to the mod, looks great but isnt the best for the woods. And the gloves would be tan Oakley Pilot gloves for an updated (and great) look.

Bandit skin gear would be the tan bandit shemagh from the mod, red check shirt with torn sleeves, the vest is a tan molle with the anarchy symbol on the back in black (AC/DC life), the jeans would be a darker blue with blood stains, and the boots would be akin to the punk boots. The gloves would be black Oakley Pilot gloves.

So with this way, nothing is forced. Your a bandit and wanna hide it? Simply dont select the shirt and such in the character clothing menu where you change your shirt and pant colors (and Rockets face for some reason...)

Wanna make it better? Make all the items (shirt, pants, ect) an extremely rare spawn item so that if you see it, you wont know if hes a bandit/hero or found the equivalent of a wearable can opener.

*READ THAT^^*

If you're a bandit and don't want to hide it, just straight up rob and/or murder some people.

This. Killing is sometimes necessary, and doesnt always make you a bad person.

However, Id like something like this Im about to explain.

*READ THIS*

Hero Perks

Hero Boots- Needs to give 10 blood/saline bags, lasts slightly longer than other shoes.

Hero Jeans- Need to give 20 blood/saline bags, has 6 slots.

Hero Shirt- Need to give 50 blood/saline bags, has 2 slots and looks great.

Hero Vest- Need to give 100 blood/saline bags, reduces damage slightly better than a UK Assualt Vest

Hero Cap- Comes with vest, offers more sun protection than other ball caps. Comes with gloves

Bandit Perks

Bandit Boots- Needs kill 10 players, lasts slightly longer than other shoes.

Bandit Jeans- Need to kill 20 players, has 6 slots.

Bandit Shirt- Need to kill 50 players, has 2 slots and looks great.

Bandit Vest- Need to kill 100 players, reduces damage slightly better than a UK Assualt Vest

Bandit Mask- Comes with vest, offers more cold protection than other masks. Comes with gloves.

There. No side has better stuff, and isnt forces. IT IS AN OPTION IN THE MENU WHERE YOU CHANGE YOUR FACE AND CLOTHES.

And to solve the camo/colors being better than the other?

Hero skin gear would be identical to the mod, looks great but isnt the best for the woods. And the gloves would be tan Oakley Pilot gloves for an updated (and great) look.

Bandit skin gear would be the tan bandit shemagh from the mod, red check shirt with torn sleeves, the vest is a tan molle with the anarchy symbol on the back in black (AC/DC life), the jeans would be a darker blue with blood stains, and the boots would be akin to the punk boots. The gloves would be black Oakley Pilot gloves.

So with this way, nothing is forced. Your a bandit and wanna hide it? Simply dont select the shirt and such in the character clothing menu where you change your shirt and pant colors (and Rockets face for some reason...)

Wanna make it better? Make all the items (shirt, pants, ect) an extremely rare spawn item so that if you see it, you wont know if hes a bandit/hero or found the equivalent of a wearable can opener.

*READ THAT^^*

So... now people get to spawn with gear if they so choose? Seems to me like the bandit perks would be encouraging killing anyway - "not only can you kill everyone you want but we'll give you clothing that's better than standard loot you can find!"

Yeah, it's not forcing anyone to wear them, but that isn't the only problem with an emotion/humanity/identification system. No side has better stuff... yes, but acquiring the two is not at all equivalent. Killing 20 players is far easier than finding 20 blood bags/saline kits and administering them.

It's also only beneficial to two specific playstyles; people who kill a lot (many players), and medics (a few players) [And not every medic is going to do blood bags]. There are a million other ways that heroes can and do help people, and a million ways bandits can be bandits without directly killing everyone. Then, of course, there are the neutral people, who don't go out of their way to be bandits/kill but also don't make an effort to help others. So with this you really would be encouraging people to kill.

How about there are no gamey effects at all based on your playstyle? No random identifiers, no insanity, no message popups or "gut feelings", just your own personal judgment and that person's actions and characteristics. Just as it is in the real world.

The heartbeat system from Mod would have been nice. A lot of people opposed it.

I,personally, would love to see ambient music reintroduced. They could use it as an indicator of your characters emotions at the time. If you wanted your immersion simply turn off the music.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrasting_and_categorization_of_emotions

There is no way for the game to identify whether you killed a bandit/KOSer because he's a bandit/KOSer or because you just felt like killing someone.

So... now people get to spawn with gear if they so choose? Seems to me like the bandit perks would be encouraging killing anyway - "not only can you kill everyone you want but we'll give you clothing that's better than standard loot you can find!"

Yeah, it's not forcing anyone to wear them, but that isn't the only problem with an emotion/humanity/identification system. No side has better stuff... yes, but acquiring the two is not at all equivalent. Killing 20 players is far easier than finding 20 blood bags/saline kits and administering them.

It's also only beneficial to two specific playstyles; people who kill a lot (many players), and medics (a few players) [And not every medic is going to do blood bags]. There are a million other ways that heroes can and do help people, and a million ways bandits can be bandits without directly killing everyone. Then, of course, there are the neutral people, who don't go out of their way to be bandits/kill but also don't make an effort to help others. So with this you really would be encouraging people to kill.

How about there are no gamey effects at all based on your playstyle? No random identifiers, no insanity, no message popups or "gut feelings", just your own personal judgment and that person's actions and characteristics. Just as it is in the real world.

Yeah, but there was also talk of better stuff for EA players (really everyone who plays. I think its gonna be the firts EA game where more participated in alpha than the full game)

Personally, I pulled that outa air. I would MUCH rather have the stuff to be cosmetic instead of helpful.

Frankly, Id much rather see a player made hero and bandit "skins" and variations.

And I made it cause it breaks my heart everytime I realize I gotta wait till a DayZMod is modded as a SA mod XD

There is no way for the game to identify whether you killed a bandit/KOSer because he's a bandit/KOSer or because you just felt like killing someone.

But there is a way to tell if someone is NOT a KoSer, right?

Yes they are not shooting at you when they see you. 

A system trying to detect such things would be very unreliable.

A system trying to detect such things would be very unreliable.

What I was trying to say is, if a person has no kills then they are inherently not a KoSer. It doesn't mean they are not working with KoSers or haven't tried to KOS but they haven't actually KoSed anyone.

Edited by scriptfactory

So they're shitty KOSers, but still KOSers. You go to jail for attempted murder too. 

So they're shitty KOSers, but still KOSers. You go to jail for attempted murder too. 

Not in a world without law you don't.

Edited by General Zod

There is always law. All it takes is someone to enforce it. 

But, the point I was trying to make is, just because you're a shitty marksman and can't actually kill anyone, doesn't make you not a KoSer. 

There is always law. All it takes is someone to enforce it. 

Well than players should do it, instead of crying for devs help. 

Edited by General Zod