Sign in to follow this  
drjuanitor

Why do the majority of players i encounter suck?

See i love it when i get fucked around with. Instead of getting the upper hand on me and shooting me, just rob me, or do other weird things to me. Make it entertaining for me to die.

He makes a good point here. I never KOS unless it's fairly obvious that someone wants to do the same to me. I live for the player interactions. Be they good or bad. The rush from murdering someone doesn't last long, and I think I'd tire of it quickly. On the other hand, you never know what to expect when meeting other players. You are at each others mercy. It's exciting. Sure, sometimes you get shot in the face, but the times that you don't it's that much more rewarding. I have been captured by players before. Rather than just straight up killing me they talked with me, hurt me, healed me, joked with me. They eventually killed me but it was worth the fun. I've also met some really awesome people who I ended up traveling with and talking to for hours, just from chance encounters. If I'd murdered them on sight, I would have missed out on that.

. I just wanted to rant.  

I have scrolled once. This post is no longer worth my time, we do not condone such actions here. 

It's not that they suck, they're surviving by eliminating you as a threat.

Granted, that's not how I choose to survive. I ran around Elektro with 3 other random guys (one of them was stoned out of his mind and hilarous) for 3 hours on Wednesday killing zombies, handing out food, bandaging people, etc). Met probably a dozen people, and helped kill 3 people who randomly attacked people in the town. I ended up getting blown away by a sketchy guy that everyone said to beware of, but it was a good run. Before I got to Elektro I even ran into a guy in Kamishovo who just started and had only been playing for 20 minutes. I explained a bunch of things to him (street signs, maps, buildings of importance, weapons, how to deal with zombies, how to approach people in a non-threatening manner, etc) and took him to Elektro to look for more gear. I ended up losing him (his avatar name was Kevin or something) but it was a lot of fun.

Then tonight the only interaction I got was from a hacker who came in through a 3rd story window and although I got knocked out the majestic power of the double barrel shotgun seemed to have done the trick and I awoke to find the hacker's corpse. *flex* Yep, that was shitty but I felt good about the outcome. Logged the hell out of Grey Matter server (was full 40/40) and went to a lower pop one to finish my evening.

You're going to find all kinds - and you're right - it seems like the average player gravitates towards KOS. However, I can assure you there are good people out there, true survivors, that are choosing other ways to survive than killing everyone they see. It's no fun to be a bambi again. Keep the faith... heroes and survivors are out there, not everyone are KOS murderers or bandits.

• Like 2

LOL. Another of the oh no I got KOSed rants. All the classics are here. The KOS people are called 12 year old kids, it's not cod and they are bad at the game. 

• Like 1

Once the game increases the content and "things to do" people will be more friendly.

Be friendly or have legitimate reason to kill. :D

I've been KOSed my fair share of times, but I have also met lots of friendlies. It sounds to me the OP just has had a bad streak of luck. Keep at it, there are friendlies out there (I know cause I am one of them).

The reason (One of them, in all seriousness) KoS-knucklefuckery is do prevalent right now is because there is little else to do

True: at the moment melee and ranged combat are essentialy the only features fully implemented and more or less fully working as intended. That means players are bound to murder each others.

1) Survival is bare-bones squared right now. Once you get a rain-jacket, you are effectively "all set" (which shouldn't be the case)

Yes and no. Even in stable there was a sort of shift in playstyle after effects for hunger, thirst and body temperature were implemented. Another one when rain, wind and in general wetness started to interact with player health and clothes. In experimental we're testing an harsher calories consumption system, a more demanding item degradation system and even change in temperatures/wind/rain according to in-game season. The first iteration of EXP 0.50 was set in-game in december, and the energy consumption/temperature management were crazy difficult to master...current EXP 0.50 in-game is set in september, but it's stil much more demanding than STABLE 0.49.

IMHO the first steps towards an harsh survival game are being done...when 0.50 will hit stable many people probably will complain: there will be another shift in playing style, taking players further away from continuous PvP.

Player vs player will always be present in DayZ obviously, with KoS and banditry and so on...only it will not be the only thing present, unlike current EXP and STABLE versions. When your character can die quickly from cold, rain, hunger, thirst, its clothes fall apart and there are no canned goods around...well, running towards a military base quickly drop in the priority list.

2) There are, IMHO, too many weapons, and too much of a focus on negative player-player interaction. Give a man a fish, and he will scream at you over VOIP and beat you to death with it because of "boredom". Give a player a set of handcuffs, and he will handcuff you and force feed you things. Give a player a box of ammo, and he will hunt down players to kill (because shooting zombies is a "waste of bullets"

Not sure I agree. "Many weapons" is a good feature, IMHO. The problem is they are far too durable...in current 0.50 shoes degrade quickly. Weapons should do that, too: it's a game about post-apocalyptic eastern european hellhole. If dow jackets are "worn" by a simple rainstorm and shoes become "damaged" after 15 min of real-time running we should find A LOT more "worn"/"damaged"/"heavily damaged" weapons and bullets lying around.

3) Zombies are essentially a non-threat

That's one probably the most galling problem about this (alpha version of the) game. It's marketed as a zombie survival game, and in october 2014 we're still blocked with a "placeholder" zombie respawn system, a "placeholder" zombie navigation sytem and a critically low zombie headcount on the servers. In current EXP 0.50 it seems (keyword: it seems) there are more zombies, but we're talking about 5/6 in small towns. At the moment they're not the alternative threat (other than the players) they should be.

4) You can server-hop for gear FAR too easily, making "survival" and "loot scarcity" essentially moot. Server hop for a couple of hours, get an AKM and enough magazines to supply an Iraqi militia

They should implement a 60/120 seconds waiting time when you log off a server and then log in immediately in another one when your character is actually in-game but you can't control it. Or, better, when you log off a server you can't log in another one for five minutes.

5) Little to no focus on group survival, positive player-player interaction and so forth. No construction, agriculture, industry, trading (NOTE: almost all of these are forthcoming)

Those mechanics/feature will not help creating group survival or constructive player-player interactions: they'll be here just for immersion, alternative ways to obtain items/food and so on. Group survival is, IMHO, a player driven behaviour and not a game driven one. You can't "force" or simply "motivate" players to cooperate...it's the playerbase that should start doing that.

Positive player-player cooperation is possible even in 0.49, if someone wants to try. But people don't want to do that.

Edited by DocWolf

The vast majority of people I meet are friendly. But i only "meet" people who seem friendly, as i normally am the one spotting others, not being spotted myself.

Haven't been KoS in months.

See i love it when i get fucked around with. Instead of getting the upper hand on me and shooting me, just rob me, or do other weird things to me. Make it entertaining for me to die. When i record dayz with or without friends, nothing ever happens except for the games wobblyness fucking over me or the other guy, or me getting KOS'd when i clearly have good intentions. That's why i never upload videos. The footage is always the same. I wish i had the same experience of other players out there who seem to always find the 30-50% (im just making numbers up to exagerate) who are cool, like minded people who will atleast make for an entertaining situation.

most of the videos you see uploaded for this game are arranged to look like chance encounters, but are pretty scripted out to maximize views.

Try 1PP servers. Lesser chance of encountering a player that sucks.

And if you want a PVP one Nether still has vacancies.

We have a right to play the game the way WE want too.

I prefer to play as a Survivor/Helper Its more fun for me.

Actually I am happy with how dayz is ment to be played. I won't shoot on sight unless the situation calls for it, but I don't cry when I let someone get the drop on me.

Also, you do have the right to play how you want in this sandbox, but so do the guys who prefer to play as the people that eat you. You can't scream about playing the way you want while shunning people that play the way they want.

Edited by hellcane

Radios =P

In all seriousness though, if radios were more common and perhaps some other improvements on implementation this is the role they should play.  This is actually how they function in arma 3 epoch, and people make use of them.

The issue as it stands is:

-They aren't common enough that the majority of players end up with them

-They take a battery to get working, which isn't bad we all start with one, but most people toss theirs and finding one on the ground is sorta a pain at times

-Both a radio and a battery take up inventory slots (before being combined obviously), which are valuable.  In arma 3 epoch (and just arma in general) radios take up a tool slot.  Most people toss their battery because with the initial limited inventory you don't want to bother.  Then by the time you find a radio you don't wanna bother searching one out, or have better use for the inventory the radio itself would take.

-They've been very inconsistent in working or not, so people kinda gave up on them I think.

Any ways, if they could just iron out some of the kinks it would work fine and be a whole lot better than a mystical side chat.  It also has the nice benefit of allowing people to opt into it or not, because a lot of people dislike side.

I find radios everywhere, but I just throw them away because they don't work at the moment. Actually it's easier to find radios than food these days. A couple of months ago when the radios was not broken I used to collect them, but after me and my friend did a test on it's range wich was about 300m we kinda concluded with that it was useless...Before we did this test I used to make calls for hours on end but I never got any response, after the test I kinda undestood why:p

About KOS, I perfectly understand that people do it, I wondered myself sometimes wether I should start doing it because there isn't much else to do and the game is just so boring. Could be nice to shoot at something, and there is no zombies around so I guess it will be other players:D.

Edited by Kaboki

The sad part is that posting to this forum will pretty much do nothing to solve the KoS problem.

Last I checked (which was a while ago) DayZ Stand Alone had > 2 million members.

This forum has < 200k members.

Basically, all of our KoS complaints reach only < 10% of the people playing.

The other > 90% of people playing who aren't members of this forum are the ones killing us on sight.

Radios =P

..//..

Any ways, if they could just iron out some of the kinks it would work fine and be a whole lot better than a mystical side chat.  It also has the nice benefit of allowing people to opt into it or not, because a lot of people dislike side.

If they could iron out the list of kinks you mention, then Radios would be just the same as your "mystical side chat" .. no ? What would be the difference - lets check it out ?

Did you play Mod - did you use side chat (text) to communicate  - or were you already one of the mystical 'WOW my IRC chat still works with all my friends even after the Apocalypse !! "

Did you use sidechat in Mod ? Did you type or did you speak ? Lot of MOD servers didn't want talk on sidechannel - IMO that was good.

You play DayZ SA now I guess ?

Do you use Radios in dayz ? Really ? At all ? Did you TRY to talk to anyone? Did you get ANY reply? Did you ever HEAR anyone?

Or are you still with the friends with the "mystical" headsets ?

Ya see - if you go into DayZ as a team of 2 or 3 you don't really WANT to talk to anyone unless they're already covered by your mate (mates) - you just talk among yourselves non-stop, might pick up a dude for a while, might shoot him, between 3 of you one will shoot him just because another one doesn't want to - right? . It's a different game with a private chat channel between you and your mates.

There are already some servers where everyone has to be on the same IRC channel, or you get kicked. Check it out.

These are great solutions if you're a team ( friends..mates.. same school,. whatever..), or you want to Skype your way through the day instead of going to the bar for a drink, but there are plenty of solo players more interested in the DayZ experience than that .. one of the things you CAN do in DayZ is meet people and get to know people. (that's NOT the people you log on with, right?)

But with no working radio AT ALL  ...  and almost everyone else wearing headsets because with their mates they logged on a relay chat server before they even joined the game ... then what is "mystical" about an in-game text only side chat with some range to it ?

Tell me you DONT wear a headset while you play, and you DONT chat with your friends while you're in game  - even when they're far across on the other side of the map (like not at ALL in 'speaking' range.. 'bout 15 klicks away in some other town)

Go ahead, tell me you don't do it.  I'll almost believe you. I'm a solo player.. there ARE some.

But I read the posts..

Read the posts, dude - everyone who joins the words "side channel" to "unrealistic" does it for the same reason, because in-game they talk with their log-in friends ALL day, miles apart.

And side channel is "mystical" ??

All this above ALSO goes a fair way to explain why "the majority of players suck" .. OP

BUT its TRUE the one BIG advantage of Radios that really worked would be to give the few true solo players a chance to communicate in private, and gain a slight private surprise advantage over the 10000% advantage of players using relay chat and logging in with friends, because the "what server shall we do now?" folk are the people who would never use radios, natch... (too mystical, much too boring), or in-game typed side chat...  (soooo boring, far too mystical)

xx

|ed:]  How About : If you've got a radio, you can type on sidechat. If you've got a radio, you can see what's typed on sidechat. And leave the rest for later..; hu  ?

Edited by pilgrim

If they could iron out the list of kinks you mention, then Radios would be just the same as your "mystical side chat" .. no ? What would be the difference - lets check it out ?

Did you play Mod - did you use side chat (text) to communicate  - or were you already one of the mystical 'WOW my IRC chat still works with all my friends even after the Apocalypse !! "

Did you use sidechat in Mod ? Did you type or did you speak ? Lot of MOD servers didn't want talk on sidechannel - IMO that was good.

You play DayZ SA now I guess ?

Do you use Radios in dayz ? Really ? At all ? Did you TRY to talk to anyone? Did you get ANY reply? Did you ever HEAR anyone?

Or are you still with the friends with the "mystical" headsets ?

Ya see - if you go into DayZ as a team of 2 or 3 you don't really WANT to talk to anyone unless they're already covered by your mate (mates) - you just talk among yourselves non-stop, might pick up a dude for a while, might shoot him, between 3 of you one will shoot him just because another one doesn't want to - right? . It's a different game with a private chat channel between you and your mates.

There are already some servers where everyone has to be on the same IRC channel, or you get kicked. Check it out.

These are great solutions if you're a team ( friends..mates.. same school,. whatever..), or you want to Skype your way through the day instead of going to the bar for a drink, but there are plenty of solo players more interested in the DayZ experience than that .. one of the things you CAN do in DayZ is meet people and get to know people. (that's NOT the people you log on with, right?)

But with no working radio AT ALL  ...  and almost everyone else wearing headsets because with their mates they logged on a relay chat server before they even joined the game ... then what is "mystical" about an in-game text only side chat with some range to it ?

Tell me you DONT wear a headset while you play, and you DONT chat with your friends while you're in game  - even when they're far across on the other side of the map (like not at ALL in 'speaking' range.. 'bout 15 klicks away in some other town)

Go ahead, tell me you don't do it.  I'll almost believe you. I'm a solo player.. there ARE some.

But I read the posts..

Read the posts, dude - everyone who joins the words "side channel" to "unrealistic" does it for the same reason, because in-game they talk with their log-in friends ALL day, miles apart.

And side channel is "mystical" ??

All this above ALSO goes a fair way to explain why "the majority of players suck" .. OP

BUT its TRUE the one BIG advantage of Radios that really worked would be to give the few true solo players a chance to communicate in private, and gain a slight private surprise advantage over the 10000% advantage of players using relay chat and logging in with friends, because the "what server shall we do now?" folk are the people who would never use radios, natch... (too mystical, much too boring), or in-game typed side chat...  (soooo boring, far too mystical)

xx

|ed:]  How About : If you've got a radio, you can type on sidechat. If you've got a radio, you can see what's typed on sidechat. And leave the rest for later..; hu  ?

Just because you can't stop people from using third party programs, doesn't mean you should compromise the integrity of the in game immersion.  It's the same reason why you shouldn't have in game maps showing every loot spawn as well, even though people just look it up on the dayz db.

KOSers are actually just really bad at this game and they know it, that's why they kill you before you even know they're there, or kill you when you're not expecting it.  Don't ever let anyone tell you "Oh, it's the playstyle I like and it's a sandbox blah blah bah"...They're just making excuses because they aren't good enough to actually play the game and "getting kills" makes them feel like they've accomplished something.  It's gonna be really funny when the game gets done and all the KOSers quit because they can't just raid military loot and camp for hours at a time without dying...This game will be cleansed soon and all the baddies are gonna get butthurt and quit, just a matter of time.

He makes a good point here. I never KOS unless it's fairly obvious that someone wants to do the same to me. I live for the player interactions. Be they good or bad. The rush from murdering someone doesn't last long, and I think I'd tire of it quickly. On the other hand, you never know what to expect when meeting other players. You are at each others mercy. It's exciting. Sure, sometimes you get shot in the face, but the times that you don't it's that much more rewarding. I have been captured by players before. Rather than just straight up killing me they talked with me, hurt me, healed me, joked with me. They eventually killed me but it was worth the fun. I've also met some really awesome people who I ended up traveling with and talking to for hours, just from chance encounters. If I'd murdered them on sight, I would have missed out on that.

Same, even yesterday when I ACTUALLY WANTED to go mess with people, I found one person and tried to hold them up...I didn't want to kill them, I just wanted to see if they'd do anything funny to keep their lives.  Unfortunately, the person didn't answer after several attempts at conversation and then pulled out a gun, so I had no choice.  But normally, I don't go into any encounter with the intention to kill them.  It's in the back of my mind, if I have to, but I never go in knowing I'm going to murder them.

In the Mod the Side Chat was very useful for speaking to players before you came face to face

It was misused because players could voice talk over it, some did all the time ..

A Side chat in text-only would change the DayZ game in my view.

Everyone I've met this year has shot at me first, and either missed (and died) or killed me.. or .. both.. whatever..

- one exception, a starving guy with no weapons who did NOT try to punch me out and stood a reasonable distance away to talk

(I gave him some open cans of food and got out of there fast - he scared me)

So a side chat without voice - side chat text only - would be interesting, and provide the vital opportunity to decide (estimate, plan) what happens next, before it happens..  ( you can always still lie and fake over side chat, dudes, no problem, it makes for interesting and informative and funny situations). Anyone remember that in the Mod?

Maybe even side chat with limited range... but at least 1 kilometer or 2.

( don't mention radios, we all know about those.. anyone ever heard a voice? sent out calls ? got a reply? from a radio? ... nah )

xx pilgrim

Hold up...

Does the chat we have now not work anymore?

IS THAT WHY nobody has ever responds now? Although I'm sure I seen people talking on it once it could have been admins.

I think they should add that back in, it's better than talking to people with shitty headsets or those playing awful music it's not realistic to have chat for sure but it's also not realistic for people to be talking to you with interference and/or coming out of their mouths.

That would be good enough if people would use it but I dunno if chat works now I've had people stop and look around after I've said "Yo" from behind a wall but I've NEVER had a response even from a dude I was paired up for a while.

Are people just so ridiculously paranoid that they think if they stop to type at all they'll get attacked? I was giving this one guy food he needed, pick of loot we found and he wouldn't talk back I even said nod your head if you can see this and he did, this was many months ago since then nobody has responded at all.

Side chat isn't "mystical" it just compensates for what people don't have, good headsets, good voices, signal etc.

• Like 1

People are assholes. Kill them off, take their land and go there for vacation.

KOSers are actually just really bad at this game and they know it, that's why they kill you before you even know they're there, or kill you when you're not expecting it.  Don't ever let anyone tell you "Oh, it's the playstyle I like and it's a sandbox blah blah bah"...They're just making excuses because they aren't good enough to actually play the game and "getting kills" makes them feel like they've accomplished something.  It's gonna be really funny when the game gets done and all the KOSers quit because they can't just raid military loot and camp for hours at a time without dying...This game will be cleansed soon and all the baddies are gonna get butthurt and quit, just a matter of time.

HA! Thats the longest undocumentet bs I have read on this forum in a long time. If someone can kill you without you seeing them is because YOU are bad at the game for not looking around and taking precautions. What makes you think KOS will disappear when the game is out just because of less weapons? 

Just because you can't stop people from using third party programs, doesn't mean you should compromise the integrity of the in game immersion. 

..//..

You'll have to explain that mate, because you just totally disagreed with yourself in one sentence.

Still - no harm.. I guess you mean...  typing is unrealistic and breaks immersion but chat servers are realistic and enhance immersion.. er ... right ?

Notice - in fact you can not stop people using side channel either, except by turning it off. So, to play DayZ without breaking the mystical  in-game immersion, everyone should have an agreed chat server and go around in groups talking across the map, while no one else can hear them doing it.. that's SO immersive you gonna totally drown yourself in post Apocalyptic realism. I already mentioned some servers force you to join the same voice channel or else they kick you. (Is that like side chat or is it like immersion, please explain ?)

Is a sad thing - after the Apocalypse the evacuees left all those naff radios that don't work lying around, but luckily we all got washed ashore with our own headsets and a selection of fully working internet connections with our friends so we could talk across country, or across servers even. Hey! ..maybe it would be more realistic and less mystical to have mobile phones lying around that still worked in the game without electricity and without transmitters, etc).. nice..... immersive?

But chat servers are so much more convenient than ANYTHING else! When you're in a team and you can agree beforehand which channel, which DayZ server, and when and where exactly you're going to join up, so you can make your plans for the day before you even meet. that's immersive. that's so immersive you can't even see the surface no more.

And easy.

Dude, you didn't read my last line  - so here it is again:

Simple Suggestion :

If you've got a radio, you can type on side chat and be read far away

If you've got a radio, you can see what's typed on side chat.

If you don't have a radio, you don't see the sidechat unless you're in voice range...OK ?

And leave the rest (the details, distances, channels.. the 'development'..) for later..hu  ?

I guess we're not on the same channel?  You didn't hear me and I'm right here in Europe ?? The immersion has echo, feedback, and a crap ping I guess?  Too many folk all too immersed at once maybe?

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

Hold up...

Does the chat we have now not work anymore?

.//..

Keyboard typing works at "voice distance";; because some players have difficulty speaking, voice impediment, don't want to reveal their sex, or their age, their accent, or they're shy..

The radios... I still have never heard of anyone who had a 2 way conversation .. never.. since they were introduced..; Rumor is ATM (since a while back) they just don't work at all (non-functional objects) but did anyone ever ever hear from anyone who can prove that either way?

xx

I avoid most player interaction for the fact that 50% of players will shoot you on sight, another 15% will tell you they're friendly then shoot you as soon as you're back is turned, another 10% or so will do the little here need ammo or food trick and shoot you as soon as you pick it up and then you're left with the last 25% who either hide in the woods and run from everyone or just get killed non stop because we don't shoot the first thing that moves.

I can't wait for the new CoD to come out and take a good amount of PvP people and more survival elements to be added.

The radios... I still have never heard of anyone who had a 2 way conversation .. never.. since they were introduced..; Rumor is ATM (since a while back) they just don't work at all (non-functional objects) but did anyone ever ever hear from anyone who can prove that either way?

xx

I don't mess about with the radios or keep focused on radio news, but I know there is a reddit listing on usage and a video in action both are quite dated though. 

• Like 1