harteman

Players start with a map

Think about it.  We all have an internet connection.  We all use it to look at a map when we play the game.  I personally use my phone.  I can use it to set waypoints and accurately gauge distance.  I can even join a group, then update my position, and read others positions on the map that are in my group.  Every single player has this capability in some shape or form.  In game however, we have to find pieces of a map.  Nobody does this.  

This isn't about realism, this is about being real.  There is absolutely no good reason to not have a map in-game that rivals what we can look at by using an alt-tab.

Also, what is the point of a range finder, when everyone has the ability to set waypoints on a map between two known locations?  Everyone should start with a range finder.  It should be their map.  A map just like the ones we see online.

• Like 5

Also, what is the point of a range finder, when everyone has the ability to set waypoints on a map between two known locations?  Everyone should start with a range finder.  It should be their map.  A map just like the ones we see online.

Ranger finder acts for me as a pair of binoculars when i cannot find any minus the extreme close up of certain objects. So it has more than one use. The more binocular like tools to work with the better i say.

Edited by Deathlove

You may use your phone but don't assume "We all use it to look at a map when we play the game".

• Like 8

Is that the iSurvive app? I used it when I started playing DayZ, but quickly stopped using it because being lost is part of the learning experience (pretty sure I'm alone on that?) 

I used the map segments I found and have so far after about 80hours of gameplay I have mapped a basic structure of the map in my mind with the very western side of the map still a little unclear. I think starting with a map would encourage this type of game style. 

Is that the iSurvive app? I used it when I started playing DayZ, but quickly stopped using it because being lost is part of the learning experience (pretty sure I'm alone on that?) 

I used the map segments I found and have so far after about 80hours of gameplay I have mapped a basic structure of the map in my mind with the very western side of the map still a little unclear. I think starting with a map would encourage this type of game style. 

Yeah once you have been to a place enough you map out areas by major landmarks and stuff in your head. Its not hard but it does take ALLOT of time and observation so you don't get lost.

You may use your phone but don't assume "We all use it to look at a map when we play the game".

Yeah I am sorry.  Everyone I know at least uses a map.  I, personally, use my phone.  What I mean is everyone uses a map, due to the fact we all must have an internet connection to play.

You, uh, do use a map when you play, right?

I would be glad for someone to speak up and say they don't, if only so that I can gaze upon them.  

Since I am here again, is there anyone out there who either only uses the in-game pieces of map, or does not use maps at all, ever?  If so, how do you know where you are going?  Also, if you don't use an online or offline map, how many hours have you played this game so far?  Have you ever used said types of maps?  Share your words.

• Like 2

Speak for yourself only please, i prefer to only use what i find in game and removing the need to finding useful items like a map and a rangefinder would  just take away from my experience.

edit

Since I am here again, is there anyone out there who either only uses the in-game pieces of map, or does not use maps at all, ever?  If so, how do you know where you are going?  Also, if you don't use an online or offline map, how many hours have you played this game so far?  Have you ever used said types of maps?  Share your words.

When i first started playing i used a mix of ingame map and dayzdb map, now i only ever use the ingame map, and thats only really to keep track of the new areas added to the north.

also, collecting the map pieces is just something extra to do while i i'm scavenging.

I played the mod for close to 3000 hours and have 786 hours on the standalone.

Edited by Fluxley

I have always played the game with purpose, so I never desired to be lost.  I wanted to see all the sights, and have so far, but every time I did I set out with said purpose.  When I want to go to somewhere, I want to go there, not elsewhere.  Getting lost is dangerous, and an unnecessary risk, to me.  When I am playing with friends (most of my time spent playing), I don't want to waste time finding them.

And yeah, iSurvive is what I use mostly, with occasional dayztv use mixed in.  My friends use the steam overlay.

Speak for yourself only please, i prefer to only use what i find in game and removing the need to finding useful items like a map and a rangefinder would  just take away from my experience.

What is your typical playstyle?  Do you play socially or as a lone wolf?  How many hours have you played so far?

Edit-Also want to add, you are the first guy I have heard say that the maps you find in-game are useful.  I think you are in the extreme minority on this.

Edit2-Also, from the hundreds of people I have killed, one of the least common items I find on a player is a piece of the map.  I am not saying nobody uses them, but practically nobody uses them.

Edited by harteman

What is your typical playstyle?  Do you play socially or as a lone wolf?  How many hours have you played so far?

Usually play with friends, but i'm quite happy to play lonewolf, generally keep a low profile, not hostile but not overly friendly either, i play to stay alive.

Indeed I use second monitor to have open map.  B)

• Like 4

Lets face it, people who want to use a map will use one, people who complain about how that ruins their experience have enough hours invested in DayZ to know Chernarus like the back of their hand and would never use a map, either ingame or externally, anyway.

• Like 5

There is absolutely no good reason to not have a map in-game that rivals what we can look at by using an alt-tab.

I must admit I fail to see the logic here. You can use an external map, and thus everybody should have map with rangefinding capabilites at spawn ingame? That is like saying you can download a hack for DayZ, and thus everybody should spawn with hacks.

Why not just keep the spawn inventory at a minimum, you will still have the option to use external maps if you choose to do so, but I see no reason to force maps on everyone on account of this.

• Like 3

I used an online map for a few sessions way back in the mod but never used one since Lingor Island came out. Being lost adds a lot to the survival experience. And playing only a few hours every other week, and painfully sucking at these games, makes everything still feel unknown and fresh. A prolonged dayz rookie experience, so to speak. Having a map on spawn would take that away from me.

• Like 2

I used an online map for a few sessions way back in the mod but never used one since Lingor Island came out. Being lost adds a lot to the survival experience. And playing only a few hours every other week, and painfully sucking at these games, makes everything still feel unknown and fresh. A prolonged dayz rookie experience, so to speak. Having a map on spawn would take that away from me.

I'm jelly, one thing i'm really looking forward to is new maps so i can go through the process of getting lost and learning to navigate all over again. 

Yeah I am sorry.  Everyone I know at least uses a map.  I, personally, use my phone.  What I mean is everyone uses a map, due to the fact we all must have an internet connection to play.

I would be glad for someone to speak up and say they don't, if only so that I can gaze upon them.  

I rarely use one anymore, I did when I first started.  After a while you'll start to remember where the towns are, what they're called, how to read the signs. use the coast and train tracks to your advantage, etc. etc. etc..  I've played about 150 hours, if that means anything.

I must admit I fail to see the logic here. You can use an external map, and thus everybody should have map with rangefinding capabilites at spawn ingame? That is like saying you can download a hack for DayZ, and thus everybody should spawn with hacks.

Why not just keep the spawn inventory at a minimum, you will still have the option to use external maps if you choose to do so, but I see no reason to force maps on everyone on account of this.

EVERYONE can use an external map, and I bet most players do.

When I say add this map, I do not mean as an inventory item.  I mean as in pressing "m" to open a map.

Also, all maps that indicate distance are range finders.  This is why I said that.  When you have two known locations, you can pinpoint range.  When I know my location, and another location, and can find them both on a map, I use a ruler or similar to find out the range.  That is how we do in real life with maps, but in the game we can't?  That doesn't make sense to me.  I guess as a minimum, we should be able to use a piece of string against the in-game maps so that we can range find off of them.

As for you guys not needing this, fine.  DON'T USE IT.  But don't deny everyone the option, especially when many if not most of us resort to using maps not found in the game.  See, you could add this, and it would be an improvement for those of us who use external maps, and it wouldn't hurt you who do not do this one bit, right?  So then why deny us?  Because we aren't playing the way you do?  Because if the option were there, you would use it?  Is that even logical?  Because if you are using it, it is useful to you, yes?  If you are not using it, why would you care one bit?  Other than to deny us the ease of use of a feature we want and use but have to go elsewhere to do so, why?

Finally, while I am on the map thing, why do maps come divided for so small of an area?  If nothing else, the map should be complete.  I can't imagine buying separate pieces of map for such a small area.  They would be turned down in the real world for more complete, all-in-one maps of the area, considering the size of the area we are talking about.

• Like 2

Can you give me a good reason why it can't be there for players like me, and ignored by players like you?  If you favor a certain playstyle, having the option doesn't take anything away from you, unless YOU WANT TO USE IT.  You can still play without, unless this is about your willpower to stay away from it, in which case I again argue it is useful.

I will continue to use a map when I play, with or without one in the game like I talk about.  

How can you be against options, when it is you who has the choice?

One last bit.  Your argument fails on a certain level, because those maps exist, they are online.  But yet, you don't use them.  It hasn't taken anything away from you, right?  Where the map is shouldn't matter to a guy like you, right?  But to me, I see it as a great improvement, and a logical one.  You are telling me that once you might no longer have to alt-tab out of the game to use the map, you might start using it?  Why would you start then?  What stops you from doing it now?

Edited by harteman

Don't get me started on the frikkin DAyZ in game map. The most dumbass thing in the game. Not content with one map they had to cut it up into 9 fucking pieces and even then, it's useless to you because, when you come to a town and you don't know where you are, what do you do?

You read the town sign to get the name right? OK so without looking at the online map, and assuming you have no clue how to read Cryllic, what is the town below?

Гришино

No idea how to translate that into English? Well done, you've made a map that for most people is going to be utterly useless. What do you do when you need to find the town name? You alt tab and use a website. Poor, poor game design takes you out of the game to use a 3rd party application for something that could easily be rectified and is stupidity personified.

There are no maps made 1/4 the size of Chernarus. OS maps in the UK cover larger areas. Make it one map and change the alphabet either on the map on in world.

• Like 1

My mate and I do use the map for pinpoint accuracy but we've been playing so long now we know Chernarus pretty well. We could get by without needing the map now but it's still nice to have.

Facts are simple, Should we spawn with it? of course not we can find it thats the point behind the game. you mind as well say we should start with a walkie talkie too right? since we all have skype teamspeak and voice coms followin your logic that is.

Problem with your logic is simple, if we should start with a map, we should start with a walkie too, since most people use some kind of map, and some kind of voice communication thats allows you to talk to people not directly in your vicinity.

So now we will be spawning, with no free slots.  Walkie, Flashlight, Map (no battery)

Or we could just take the map, and we'd spawn with 1 free slot/2 if you drop /use battery.

So if we dont find a bag, or a shirt, we can't loot more with persistance enabled, droping fresh spawn loot everywhere will only hinder loot from spawning in nearby areas.

So if anything we should spawn with, nothing, or a falshlight and a battery like we already do

I do not pick up in game maps and do not use online maps either. But then again I have been playing since early on in the mod. With that being said map should just be one big map not numerous torn up.

Edited by huf757
  • Like 1

I enjoy challenges. Locating myself without a map, or even with a map is a fun challenge for me.

I tried a few online maps. Yes, they can be useful.

I keep a West and an East ingame map on hotkeys 5 and 6. A full map has less zoom.

The ingame maps

- can be used while moving

- can have multiple shared marks for people in 50 steps distance (this far with FOV=1 on a 1280x1024 display)

- have elevation lines (I love reading these!)

- show individual bushes << needs testing

- are up-to-date << needs testing

But

- they do not show streams, rivers, ponds, lakes, dams

- no loot info (I don't mind this)

- some places/villages have no names shown

Not sure of the effects of bad condition have on the map. Anyone?

With regards to the Russian signs, I've found a Russian Cheat Sheet. Now I know enough to just read signs when I see them.

Using landmarks and an ingame map to estimate distances is not cheesy.

Edit: clarity

Edited by Rico Heart
  • Like 1