Death By Crowbar

How much of DayZ have you experienced?

How much of DayZ have you experienced?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Select each of the following you've done (no cheating!).

• Made a fire AND cooked meat on it.
    • Gone fishing AND caught a fish.
    • Crafted a make shift bow.
    • Crafted arrows to go with your make shift bow.
    • Used a hacksaw to saw off a gun.
    • Used a pick ax to mine rocks to sharpen an edged weapon.
    • Crafted a backpack.
    • Found someone's tent in the woods (bonus points if you stole it or something in it!)
    • Escaped a zombie by locking it in a room.
    • Visited the far north or far west of the map, the debug area, the great area of nothing but blank ground and ocean.
    • Found a helicopter crash.
    • Given or received a successful blood transfusion.

A general census - how much of DayZ have you experienced?

Long story short, this weekend I was thinking about various game mechanics and things put in to help people survive. I was also thinking about how in a normal play session if I'm near the cost it seems there's a constant stream of bambis running either north towards Berezino or south towards Elektro for those who seem to play the game with the motto "attack everyone, find guns and start shooting". So it got me further thinking - I wonder how many of the survival mechanics or more obscure things in the game people actually experience and use.

Here's a rough 12 things that I think are give a litmus test on how much of the game's content people are actually taking advantage of or avoiding entirely. You can select multiple of course (all that apply).

• Like 3

I got a blood-transfusuion like 1 month after I started playing.

Played happily for 3 more minutes, then died.

Since that, I stay away from these things :D

Saline-bags are safer, even if their boost is lower than the bloods' boost.

• Like 3

Given and received saline bags, but never blood bags. Also never crafted arrows as I've yet found or went looking for chickens.

As for the rest, some of them I did multiple times. I've found about 20-25 heli crash sites, crafted a fishing rod and caught fishes every time I could since they were first implemented, crafted lots of backpacks, and made lots and lots of camp fires to either cook fish or various meats.

I've actually found a tent full of gear once, and left a present to the owner.  B)  (An AKM with a  full 30 rnd mag.)

I really like how crafted items are important items for me, and feel very useful. To each his own!

• Like 1

I'v experienced all but finding someones tent and a successful blood transfusion. 

Haven't tried/used a blood transfusion since the first few weeks of release. Took some of my own blood to give to a friend only to have him die from it. Really hope they make it a more viable way of regaining health, healing from eating and drinking is way too easy. Infact those should be the secondary(if not third) way of doing it on the long term.

never jacked around with fishing - takes too much space for the gear and I can use hunting gear for other stuff. I run solo so I have never given or received a transfusion of any kind. still looking for a tent, used or otherwise.

I got a blood-transfusuion like 1 month after I started playing.

Played happily for 3 more minutes, then died.

Since that, I stay away from these things :D

Saline-bags are safer, even if their boost is lower than the bloods' boost.

You need a test kit to make sure it's the right type or you die, if it's not the right type, of course.

• Like 1

I call shenanigans on the locking a zombie in a room question.  Everyone knows you can't do that, lol.

I've done it, and I've actually found one locked in a room before - I could hear it, but couldn't see it. I was thinking, where is it? I open the door and boom he hits me and ruins my jacket. I circled around, lured him back in, and shut the door again on my way out. I find it works better with interior doors (locking them in a room) vs exterior doors (merely locking them in a house).

• Like 1

Checked all off the bucket list except for tent scowering and lockpicking.  To be fair, those two don't interest me as much as others.

Hello there

In the SA?

None of the above. Im keeping it fresh.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

Gotta say I have done nothing of any of them things, not one thing.. zip.. zilch.. nada.

Whenever I spawn, I get Pk'd before an adventure can even begin.

A general census - how much of DayZ have you experienced?

Long story short, this weekend I was thinking about various game mechanics and things put in to help people survive. I was also thinking about how in a normal play session if I'm near the cost it seems there's a constant stream of bambis running either north towards Berezino or south towards Elektro for those who seem to play the game with the motto "attack everyone, find guns and start shooting". So it got me further thinking - I wonder how many of the survival mechanics or more obscure things in the game people actually experience and use.

Here's a rough 12 things that I think are give a litmus test on how much of the game's content people are actually taking advantage of or avoiding entirely. You can select multiple of course (all that apply).

This is an interesting poll. Good job! I'll be curious to see what percentage of respondents has done each of those things. Should give a fair idea of how well-utilized those mechanics are in the game. "Crafting a backpack" seems to be an early favorite.

I'v experienced all but finding someones tent and a successful blood transfusion. 

Haven't tried/used a blood transfusion since the first few weeks of release. Took some of my own blood to give to a friend only to have him die from it. Really hope they make it a more viable way of regaining health, healing from eating and drinking is way too easy. Infact those should be the secondary(if not third) way of doing it on the long term.

Agreed. As of now, there is zero motivation to recover your blood via a transfusion. The only time when you might need to recover a lot of blood in a very short period of time would be a firefight, at which point you probably don't have time to stop and let someone insert and IV in you  :huh:

I call shenanigans on the locking a zombie in a room question.  Everyone knows you can't do that, lol.

Oh but you can... "sometimes". The best place to do it is a fire station ;)

1. I've hunted and cooked food more times than I care to count at this point, mostly for fun. I also "cook" other stuff on fires, too (for no reason).

2. This is going to sound crazy but a buddy of mine will occasionally go on fishing trips in Chernarus. This usually only happens when we're both bored and have no "goal" to work toward at the moment. We'll head up to Prud and sit on the dock for an hour :)

3. I've only crafted a bow once, basically just to see how it worked. Don't have much interest in using bows anyway, maybe that will change someday.

4. Only just during this build of 0.50 have I made arrows for the first time, since feathers are easier to get now.

5. Sawing-off weapons is something I've only tried once each per weapon, just to see how it would affect it's characteristics.

6. Sharpening weapons I have done a couple times on 0.50 Experimental because of a relative lack of available axes in good condition.

7. I craft backpacks in Experimental a lot when it's difficult to find a good one. I actually hadn't crafted one at all until 0.48 or 0.49 Experimental when it became harder to get loot due to scarcity.

8. Twice I've found tents, the best being when I was in the empty area in the NW where the Tisy Military Base will eventually reside. I found three together in a row with miscellaneous weaponry and clothing EVERYWHERE. This was just after M4s were moved to helicopter spawn points, and there were like 10 of them laying on the ground with the tents. I took what I needed, and left some food and other ammo behind so as not to totally screw over the campers :P

9. I ditch zombies in fire stations ALL the time. It's the best.

10. I'm one of the few people who's been to Debug Island. 'Nuff said.

11. I've been lucky enough to spot heli crashes a few times, mostly at the NWAF and a spot above Bor.

12. I've only participated in blood transfusions a few times, and it was back in January or February in the early days of the Standalone. Just not worth it at the moment, but it was back then when saline was less common and regen. didn't work quite as quickly.

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 1

Awesome ive wondered myself while im doing things, how many others have tried or are doing the same thing right now.  Done all on the list with the exception of shadenfreude island so far and had a blast, totally Love this game  , anyone else been to the little plaque where the grass pyramid used to be ?  or the Bronze statue off in the woods lost forever listening to a silent radio among the refuse ?   :)

Edited by Yano

never found a tent or caught a fish, but done everything else.  I only gave blood when I knew mine and the recipient's blood type (I often carry test kits).

my hardcore hunts with a bow exclusively, and technically the only thing I'd NEED to go into town for are chicken feathers and matches.  feathers from one chicken last forever if you aim carefully.

Can you improve the quality of a firefighter's axe by sharpening it?  

yep.  you can improve it from badly damaged to damaged with a stone.  mine the stone and add it your fireplace kit (if you carry one) and it takes up no space that way.

• Like 3

10. I'm one of the few people who's been to Debug Island. 'Nuff said.

I actually thought about asking about this but as far as I'm aware including you only 2-3 people have ever done it, and I knew it would only get 2-3 votes.  :D

• Like 1

Bronze statue off in the woods lost forever listening to a silent radio among the refuse ?   :)

I think that's north west of Balota? I've stumbled across it once!

• Like 1

I think that's north west of Balota? I've stumbled across it once!

He sure is. Lost in time , its a pretty but sad lil spot

• Like 1

You need a test kit to make sure it's the right type or you die, if it's not the right type, of course.

I know. But my friend must have somehow mixed up the bloodbags with each other (he had 2 bags. So he could have taken the wrong one ;) )

• Like 1

I know. But my friend must have somehow mixed up the bloodbags with each other (he had 2 bags. So he could have taken the wrong one ;) )

I've over meme'd lately but I just can't help myself...

bag.jpeg

Edited by Death By Crowbar

As far as "things to do is concerned":  are we assuming that they will make base building a part of the game?  I haven't found an article it's mentioned in specifically, and in a couple articles the devs talk about private hives and "modding".  So the big question is:  Will they implement base-building, or just put in the game files and let the modders do what they will?

I've over meme'd lately but I just can't help myself...

bag.jpeg

Austin Powers :D

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Oh but you can... "sometimes". The best place to do it is a fire station ;)

false, those doors/walls are some of the worst ones when it comes to zombie glitching through lol.  Stay inside any building long enough and the zombie outside will get in, in my own experience anyway.