Ham_Sandwich27

Eating and drinking system - Please, just give it up.

..//..

Yes - interesting comments. However I stand by what I say. I have tried these things and they work - Stuffed" at the mome,nt is NOT how full your stomach is, it tells you ONLY how much water you have drunk. Ive tried HEALTHY+3 full bags of rice+1 full box of cereal+2 cans of food+5 fruit+a few cans of soda lying around, all AT ONCE in the time it takes to do "Eat All" 6 times + Eat etc, for  the rest. The only effect is "DEHYDRATED", so to say "STUFFED is an indication of your stomach being full is not the case. It is an indication of your stomach being full of WATER.. but NOT food...

Curing SICKNESS: Hmmm... This WORKS.. (experiment) Drinking till you vomit, you will get WEAK.. eat (and drink) to restore your strength, then if later the SICKNESS comes back do the same again, then eat and drink again to get strength up again.The illness goes away.. as you say above, may be an "interface bug", but it works that at the moment on .49. I've done this twice. It is therefore not a myth.

Hunting - how does hunting equipment require 2 places in your backpack?, This is not my experience!.. to hunt (butcher meat) you need a cutting implement and an axe for firewood. Both require sharpening. A stone takes 4 places.. you have to sharpen the knife AND the axe EVERY time you cut meat and cook it. They both only sharpen up to DAMAGED so if you don't carry a stone, your next hunting experience you have a RUINED knife and a RUINED axe. So, knife and stone is 5 places taken up, whereas.5 tins of beans last a long time. Plus you ALSO need space for the 5 cuts of meat - right? therefore 10 backpack places required for hunting - each meat cut is only 50%-70% (max) because your knife is AT BEST Damaged.. so 5 cuts of meat are almost equal to 3 or 4 cans of beans.. but to get that meat and cook it you need 10 slots (and carry the firewood in your arms, make fireplace etc - yeah, need rags too but I dont  count that slot.). So instead of hunting, just collect 10 cans of beans to fill the same space, you last MUCH LONGER

But in general I agree with you. However I insist that what I said above comes FULLY from experiment in .49, without error. It's ALL Ive been doing since the last patch in fact..So I stand by it.

However, we agree and are close on many points.

Another Interesting thing (a dumb thing) - you can butcher an animal, make a bag from it's skin with some rope, and put the cuts of meat in the bag (so IRL you wrap up the meat in the skin, right?), but you CANT pick up the bag in your arms and carry it...why not ?

xx pilgrim

Edited by pilgrim

I don't think there is an issue.

It'll be tweaked later in development. Hunger might be a bit too fast right now, but so what? DayZ isn't a game yet. You know that.

So which is it?

Yes - interesting comments. However I stand by what I say. I have tried these things and they work - Stuffed" at the mome,nt is NOT how full your stomach is, it tells you ONLY how much water you have drunk. Ive tried HEALTHY+3 full bags of rice+1 full box of cereal+2 cans of food+5 fruit+a few cans of soda lying around, all AT ONCE in the time it takes to do "Eat All" 6 times + Eat etc, for  the rest. The only effect is "DEHYDRATED", so to say "STUFFED is an indication of your stomach being full is not the case. It is an indication of your stomach being full of WATER.. but NOT food...

Curing SICKNESS: Hmmm... This WORKS.. (experiment) Drinking till you vomit, you will get WEAK.. eat (and drink) to restore your strength, then if later the SICKNESS comes back do the same again, then eat and drink again to get strength up again.The illness goes away.. as you say above, may be an "interface bug", but it works that at the moment on .49. I've done this twice. It is therefore not a myth.

Hunting - how does hunting equipment require 2 places in your backpack?, This is not my experience!.. to hunt (butcher meat) you need a cutting implement and an axe for firewood. Both require sharpening. A stone takes 4 places.. you have to sharpen the knife AND the axe EVERY time you cut meat and cook it. They both only sharpen up to DAMAGED so if you don't carry a stone, your next hunting experience you have a RUINED knife and a RUINED axe. So, knife and stone is 5 places taken up, whereas.5 tins of beans last a long time. Plus you ALSO need space for the 5 cuts of meat - right? therefore 10 backpack places required for hunting - each meat cut is only 60%-70% (max) because your knife is AT BESZT damages.. so 5 cuts of meat are almost equal to 4 cans of beans.. but to get that meat and cook it you need 10 slots (and carry the firewood in your arms, etc.. instead of hunting, just collect 10 cans of beans in the same space, you last MUCH LONGER

But in general I agree with you. However I insist that what I said above comes FULLY from experiment in .49, without error. It's ALL ive been doing since the last patch.. in fact..So I stand by it.

However, we agree and are close on many points.

An Interesting point - you can butcher an animal, make a bag from it's skin with some rope, and put the cuts of meat in the bag, but you CANT pick up the bag in your arms and carry it...why not ?

xx pilgrim

Dat metagame, bro....

Hopefully, there will be MUCH less canned food in future builds

Hmm I don't see the problem, I mean one bag of rice and a can of peaches will take your freshie from hungry to stage 2 energised for hours of play.

If you can find one before you die. That's the problem.

• Like 1

Mate, I am playing on a Vilayer-persistence server, and food is god-damn EVERYWHERE. Spawned in Novo, ran about for a bit (got hydrated and full in Novo), then ran to Severograd and proceeded to loot the place dry.

GET.OFF.THE.COAST

Yeah. Take away the diseases as well, they are annoying. This is not any ebola simulator. Oh and the looting is waste of time, I think everyone should have a gun at the beginning. This new "cold" system sucks as well, it's not like a survival game should be about getting cold. It's annoying you lose your stuff every time you die, I think this should be like GTA where you only lose money when you die. 

And please, make the map smaller so we can shoot each others, it's ridiculous this world is all empty. And a ranking system is also a must.

Exactly what I thought. :D

(Nobody wants to play a game where you're going to die no matter what you do. What on earth made you think anyone would?)

THIS , SO NOW YOU KNOW MY THOUGHTS? chill out bro , And its FUCKING EASY to find food, if you cant do that just give up and go play cod or something more easy. i like to havean extrathing to worry about , not just killing ''INFECTED'' zeds, (cuz they aint zombies) or killing people. ive got some nice interactions sneaking up on people who is eating /drinking. taking advantage of this . even snipers haveto risk their life scavenging for food to keep camping. itwouldnt be fun to just grab a mosin and go camp 24/7 electro .

WHO IN THE HELL EATS POWERED MILK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robot cats?

Let's all give umm_me a round of applause for his elite DayZ skillz.

Good for you buddy. You've impressed the internet with your skillz. The hunder/thirst system is still overmodeled.

Huh? He's right. It is ridiculously easy to find food and stay well fed. Learn how to eat, simple. You eat and then drink until you're stuffed (green) and then you only have to eat every so often. It's no freaking secret.

I'll just say it. The hunger/thirst system is absurd. Nobody playing the mod was thinking "You know what this game is missing? An over the top, needlessly complicated, ridiculously overmodeled givestive system".  Certainly nobody was longing for a eating/drinking system that took up all of their attention while they're trying to play a zombie survival game, much less one that requres him to eat every few minutes or die of hunger.

Just stop. Give it up. The fixation with this eating/drinking system is ruining the game. With my last two characters, I fresh spawned and immidiately begain looking for food, and both times I died before I could find any. Where is the gameplay in that? Who do you think is going to want to play a game who's point is "Spawn, die of hunger. Spawn, die of hunger"? What was the point of this eating/drinking system anyway? Realism? What's realistic about a human having to eat every half an hour or die of starvation?

There was nothing wrong with the mod's hunger/thirst system. The function of hunger and thirst in a survival game is to force players to go about trying to feed themselves.  The mod's hunger/thirst system accomplished this. Overmodeling the system doens't add anything to gameplay except frustration. And hyper-fast hunger doens't accomplish anything but to make it all about finding and eating food. Fuck, pac-man ate less frequently than DayZ characters have to. DayZ was fun when food was something you had to do once in a while, not constantly. And if you were going to make it a constant eating simulator, the least you could have done was make the resources availible to accomplish that. Spawning, then immidiately dying of hunger despite your best efforts is just dumb. Nobody wants to play a game where you're going to die no matter what you do. What on earth made you think anyone would?

So seriously, just give it up. Either go back to a simple system, or slow the hunger/thirst down by like 100 times. Because right now, this game is all about your stomach, and that's destroying what the game should really be about, which is zombie survival, human interaction and adventure. Either that, or re-label the game accordingly.

wkjnkg.jpg

This is a hard topic to comment on.

I'm on both sides of the argument, because having to eat constantly is a pain, and if the game were as realistic as it claims to be, then you wouldn't get hungry every 30 minutes. However, running into other players in DayZ is kind of rare, and killing zombies gets old after a while, so they need to add some other obstacle to make the game less bland.

So that's why I'm on both sides, anyone agree?

Funny picture, by the way, :D

Edited by Cheeseburger8

Just today on experimental I've ran from Electro to Dubrovka, where I met a random and are now hanging out, all the way up to Novo.  We we're starving all the way but survived off of picking apples and berries while struggling to find cans of food.  The whole session has been over a couple of hours.  It's really easy to survive if you stop running to the big hot spots in hopes of becoming fully geared in one shot.

Edited by Caboose187
  • Like 1

WHO IN THE HELL EATS POWERED MILK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well - I eat it... ..- 'ya don't need anything to open it with.

It's pretty good

BadAsh, on 17 Oct 2014 - 2:22 PM, said:BadAsh, on 17 Oct 2014 - 2:22 PM, said:

Zombie survival simulator. A rather large part of the entire survival concept is naturally based around finding the food and drink necessary to stay alive

Really? When was the last time you were so thirsty you had to drink two canteens AND a six pack of pop?

Edited by LimeMobber
  • Like 1

Before this thread I would have said that I'd rather not just play dress up and shoot people, but how forcefully and angrily you stated your opinion has changed mine. Clearly you speak for the majority because of how self-righteously you stated your criticism of the game.

Hunger and thirst needs balancing, this is after all an early in development piece of software and things will need to be tuned and altered. But the hyperbole is a little much, "Bohemia is stupid and nobody likes the system and blarghablarghablargh!" There are much better ways to state an opinion that prompt discussion rather than arguments of extremes and posting of Weird Al videos.

Edited by Hells High

So if people think the hunger and thirst system is.... Over-bearing, what would they suggest as far as balancing? Food being even more rare and hunger and thirst setting in at a slower rate? In my opinion, slowing time down like this would mean also slowing down healing time, the time it takes to eat, the time it takes to regain stamina, the time it takes to open cans, etc, etc.

Thinking before you speak is a great way to avoid being hypocritical.

• Like 1

When its "finished" they'll be reducing the amount of canned food, vegetables and such, so you'll have to depend a lot more on hunting and horticulture. I'm guessing they'll also have the system balanced and working in a more fashionable manner than its current state by then.

So if people think the hunger and thirst system is.... Over-bearing, what would they suggest as far as balancing? Food being even more rare and hunger and thirst setting in at a slower rate? In my opinion, slowing time down like this would mean also slowing down healing time, the time it takes to eat, the time it takes to regain stamina, the time it takes to open cans, etc, etc.

Yep.

The game needs a general slowing down in all aspects. Running, eating, crafting, hunger, sickness, healing... everything.

• Like 3

Yep.

The game needs a general slowing down in all aspects. Running, eating, crafting, hunger, sickness, healing... everything.

It seems that they want to be in combat with other players more than playing a survival simulator. 

IMO thats what ARMA 3 is for. This game should be about making due and surviving. Not 'give me my m4 so I can go shoot people in elecktro'.

Actually, the current food system is way too easy. You can survive by drinking sodas only and those are everywhere.

• Like 1

I wonder how much OP liked the patch in the mod where you logged out and logged in after a time your guy was hungry so you needed to have some food always in your backpack? :P

It needs some tuning so walking doesn't burn up so much calories. Also the thing why it's so hard at first is that your character is already hungry when you spawn in. But getting healed so easily when you're energized and well hydrated is too easy thing.

All in all it's too easy now but also you need too much food and drink.

For anyone saying "it's too easy" or "it's too hard", I guarantee you there is someone out there who disagrees with you.  Your opinion is not fact and it's up to the devs to make that call, not you, sorry to burst your bubble.

1. You're delusional if you think that the food/hunger system currently in DayZ is complex, it couldn't be any more straightforward. There are even hyper-obvious inventory cues to let you know how your avatar's stomach is doing.

2. You're insane if you think that the current food/hunger system is anything more than an inconsequential afterthought. It certainly isn't a hassle, because it doesn't even factor in to the majority of situations in DayZ.

Your grievance seems to have to do with the timescale, with which you've conflated nebulous ideas like "complexity."

If you're talking about the timescale, then yes, it should be elongated. However, with that, I want the hunger/thirst system to be much more of a factor on day-to-day gameplay than it is right now. I want the pristine fruit and pristine cans of beans to be rare, if not as rare as most weapons. I want to hunt for my food. I want to cook more of my food.

Which also needs to be done in concert with things like reducing run speed to that of the mod.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2