Sign in to follow this  
TheWizard14

So are rocket launchers going to be added soon?

My friend has a law rocket launcher in his closet and it's still active ... Rockets for it I'm sure would be hard to find but to be honest I truly believe they will add some more explosives soon .. It's my entirely unrealistic seeing as some civilians even collect these weapons and besides that I really liked the addition of the grenades and unless you find a glitcher with grenades , they don't really change the gameplay in a negative way. if anything it's going to be a positive thing to take out large vehicles that deuche bag clans are going to have in the beta :)

Why anyone would keep a still functioning LAW in their closet is beyond me, though I'm assuming that it's a spent tube and is incapable of being reloaded.

The LAW can only be fired once and there's no reloading, hence why it wouldn't be the worst weapon to add to DayZ (Or the RPG-18, Russian equivalent.)

Those little tits have a more valid point on why they shouldn't be added over the "hoorahs" who think they should.  May as well as add tanks then because that's the only way you'll balance RPG's being in the game.  While were at it, throw in some attack copters and jets.  After that they can call the game ARMA.  Oh wait, they already have that.  Go fucking play it.

Not at all - RPG-7s and M72 LAWs are hardly designed to take on tanks. They can be used against them, but typically nowadays they're used as light anti-armor weapons (hence LAW) and thus mostly against unarmored cars/trucks or APCs. The RPG-7 is all over the place because of how common it is internationally but they're still typically used for lighter roles rather than actually taking on MBTs.

They'd be "balanced" (though asymmetrical experience is one of DayZ's biggest factors, IMO) by the fact that they're heavy and cumbersome, their ammunition is large (and in the case of the LAW, you only get one shot before it must be discarded), they're relatively inaccurate (LAWs aren't too bad but they aren't exactly long ranged - RPG-7s have a tendency to fire wildly), they have a limited utility against infantry - even large groups (ironically enough, this is taught by ArmA, and group density is significantly lower in DayZ than in ArmA), and they're simply extremely hard to find and maintain. Unlike in ArmA, there are no "slots" for rocket launchers, so you're either going to be carrying it in your hands or on your back, and only want to use it if you encounter vehicles or are fighting against a fortified position.

It's what sets them up as an endgame weapon - you'll have limited incentive to pick one up if you don't have a good setup already going, so they're not "OP" nor are they out of place, but they can still be extremely helpful for combating people of equal or higher strength with large bases and vehicle access.

I agree 100% these items didn't just wander off after the zombies took over.  I don't get where people think there wouldn't be military shit around I mean what would the military use to fight the zombies!?

Probably not rocket launchers (to a large extent), so ironically enough, there'd be plenty of these leftover when positions became overran and evacuating troops only took what was necessary.

Not saying they'd at all be common (they would be some of the rarest weapons in the game), but acting as if they'd cease to exist is simply false.

"hello my name is dayz forum stereotype #004, adding gunz dat arent liek wooden n shit is soooo bad cuz they are military guns and military guns are bad cuz arma with zombies we dunt want dat lol btw dont you dare tone down ammo spawns gaem is 2 hard zombies 2 broken 2 harsh 4 mee e !"

RPG-7 still works, because it has wooden furniture :P

Though to be fair, (typically) the people who want the AKM to be the highest tier rifle in the game want really low ammunition spawns, rather than high ones. Which is perfectly fine, it's just not a good reason to argue that "something shouldn't be present at all".

It is called balance.  Due to how the game already works with being able to hop on empty servers until you're a walking arsenal, adding any form of rocket launcher would just throw the game out of balance.  Use your head and think, man

As it currently stands, yes, adding super advanced military weapons is a bad idea. We know that the player system is still in the process of being overhauled, things like weight, stamina, and other conditions will start to have an effect on you. There's also features like the centralized loot system and management, and how loot itself spawns is still being worked on.

However, I really would not have any reason to be worried about some guy running around with an RPG as it stands. The PG-7V rockets are going to take up a shit ton of space, you could probably carry four or five max in even the largest backpacks, and that's disregarding all of the other gear you'd need to hold onto (because who the hell is going to run around with an RPG as their main weapon?)

People would be stupid to carry them in any significant quantities as it stands, where bases aren't really a thing and all combat is currently infantry based.

The LAW would be a bit different, because you could carry that in a backpack (or on your back) and it's not going to use up nearly as much space nor be as heavy, but the fact that it's a one use weapon would mean you only fire it if you really need it.

Edited by Chaingunfighter
  • Like 4

What, exactly, are you going to be taking out with a goddamned RPG? Any "soft-skinned" (AKA not armor-plated, like a IFV/CFV, or a tank) vehicle can and will be stopped by either shooting out the tires or by shooting the engine block. Why waste the rocket on a hardened position when a bullet/grenade can take out the guys inside?

Most modern IFV/CAV/MBT's are almost completely immune to most RPGs, especially the 50 year-old-or-so models posted above. Most anti-armor capability in modern combat comes from top-strike launchers (like mortars and Javelins), or air-support (helicopters AKA Gods Gift to the Infantryman, or a Predator Missile).

Hell, an M1 Abrams is essentially immune to its own main gun. There was a story about an M1 being mission-killed and apparently irretrievable. The tankers tried to blow up the tank with another Abrams, and it didn't work. They had to go in and detonate the tank from the inside with carried charges places into the ammo stowage.

If anything, we should get mortars. Infantry portable and at least somewhat useful. I can find 1000 and 1 uses for a mortar, and only a few for an RPG.

It is called balance.  Due to how the game already works with being able to hop on empty servers until you're a walking arsenal, adding any form of rocket launcher would just throw the game out of balance.  Use your head and think, man

That is not true at all caboose, you need to start thinking being such a big fan of the game. I am sure you would have heard of something called the 'central loot economy'. Items are going to be managed by numbers so it's not going to be an item that you can just hop to find, i was thinking it would be more like the night vision goggles or special car parts where it will be controlled so it will just be impossible for everyone to have it but i don't think making it non existent is balance at all, also it is not balance since you are not balancing it with anything, when you use the word balance you are implying that something is unbalanced but i don't see how adding in a controlled limited item would unbalance the game, that sounds like fan boy hysteria on your part, no offense.

If anything, we should get mortars. Infantry portable and at least somewhat useful. I can find 1000 and 1 uses for a mortar, and only a few for an RPG.

I can not see mortars being deployed to combat a zombie apocalypse somehow, rocket launchers would be useful to take out groups of infected but come one man, you really think they would use mortars on zombies considering how inaccurate they are and how well trained you have to be to use them effectively.

Edited by anotherdeadhero

I can not see mortars being deployed to combat a zombie apocalypse somehow, rocket launchers would be useful to take out groups of infected but come one man, you really think they would use mortars on zombies considering how inaccurate they are and how well trained you have to be to use them effectively.

What.

WHAT.

You want to have a rocket launcher AKA probably the LEAST useful infantry-portable weapon against infantry, but not a mortar, probably the SECOND most-useful infantry-portable weapon against infantry? That....makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

The M224 60mm mortar has an effective range of about 3.5 KILOMETERS, and weighs a little less than 50 pounds.   It has a sustained fire rate of 20 rounds / minute AKA 1 round every 3 SECONDS. Versus, what? 1 Rocket? What would you choose when (let us say Cherno is zombified) 5000+ zombies are charging your FOB, screaming for blood?

A RPG is NOT for anti-infantry (read: human soldiers) attacks, it is an anti-vehicle weapon, and for destroying hardened/fortified positions. A mortar can destroy vehicles, hardened positions, infantry, that important road crossing 1 kilometer back, drop some smoke on the town for cover for your clan, wipe out that enemy convoy, and threaten anyone crossing that bridge. Pretty much at the same time. They require training, yes, but so do RPGS. And the mortar usually has a handy-dandy trigonometry plate on it for figuring out charges/angles. That, coupled with a FO, can spell top-down DEATH FROM THE SKY for anything you need dead.

Mortars > RPGS all week, including Sunday, in my book.

• Like 4

My friend has a law rocket launcher in his closet and it's still active ... Rockets for it I'm sure would be hard to find but to be honest I truly believe they will add some more explosives soon .. It's my entirely unrealistic seeing as some civilians even collect these weapons and besides that I really liked the addition of the grenades and unless you find a glitcher with grenades , they don't really change the gameplay in a negative way. if anything it's going to be a positive thing to take out large vehicles that deuche bag clans are going to have in the beta :)

I am....99% certain that that is SUPER illegal, as well as being Darwin-Award-worthy stupid. Or it is inactive, and he is just pulling one over on you.

• Like 1

What.

WHAT.

You want to have a rocket launcher AKA probably the LEAST useful infantry-portable weapon against infantry, but not a mortar, probably the SECOND most-useful infantry-portable weapon against infantry? That....makes absolutely zero sense whatsoever.

The M224 60mm mortar has an effective range of about 3.5 KILOMETERS, and weighs a little less than 50 pounds.   It has a sustained fire rate of 20 rounds / minute AKA 1 round every 3 SECONDS. Versus, what? 1 Rocket? What would you choose when (let us say Cherno is zombified) 5000+ zombies are charging your FOB, screaming for blood?

A RPG is NOT for anti-infantry (read: human soldiers) attacks, it is an anti-vehicle weapon, and for destroying hardened/fortified positions. A mortar can destroy vehicles, hardened positions, infantry, that important road crossing 1 kilometer back, drop some smoke on the town for cover for your clan, wipe out that enemy convoy, and threaten anyone crossing that bridge. Pretty much at the same time. They require training, yes, but so do RPGS. And the mortar usually has a handy-dandy trigonometry plate on it for figuring out charges/angles. That, coupled with a FO, can spell top-down DEATH FROM THE SKY for anything you need dead.

Mortars > RPGS all week, including Sunday, in my book.

Dude i know what you are saying and if i was fighting another infantry force or army i would take a mortar any day but we are not talking about a conventional war that these weapons were created for, there is no command and control center telling you where to hit, there is no enemy convoy as zombies can't drive the last time i checked, you know what i am saying.

Let me rephrase this. 

Mortars against other people > RPGS all week, including Sunday, in my book

RPGS against zombies >  Mortar all week, including Sunday, in my book

Edited by anotherdeadhero

Dude i know what you are saying and if i was fighting another infantry force or army i would take a mortar any day but we are not talking about a conventional war that these weapons were created for, there is no command and control center telling you where to hit, there is no enemy convoy as zombies can't drive the last time i checked, you know what i am saying.

Let me rephrase this. 

Mortars against other people > RPGS all week, including Sunday, in my book

RPGS against zombies >  Mortar all week, including Sunday, in my book

Why would you use an RPG against zombies, when it has been stated MULTIPLE TIMES  that RPGS do jack-shit against infantry? What uses do you have for an RPG against zombies? Blow them up? Enjoy wasting your one rocket. You claimed earlier that RPGs could be used against enemy clans: what can a RPG do that a mortar can't do better? Range? Lethality? Rate of Fire? Practicality? The mortar wins 99% of the time.

Mortars don't require a C&C center, they require 4 guys: the mortar team and the Forward Observer (guy with a map). FO calls coordinates over radio, MT plugs them in and fires away. FO relays firing corrections. Bing, Bang, BOOM.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 1

Why would you use an RPG against zombies, when it has been stated MULTIPLE TIMES  that RPGS do jack-shit against infantry? What uses do you have for an RPG against zombies? Blow them up? Enjoy wasting your one rocket. You claimed earlier that RPGs could be used against enemy clans: what can a RPG do that a mortar can't do better? Range? Lethality? Rate of Fire? Practicality? The mortar wins 99% of the time.

Mortars don't require a C&C center, they require 4 guys: the mortar team and the Forward Observer (guy with a map). FO calls coordinates over radio, MT plugs them in and fires away. FO relays firing corrections. Bing, Bang, BOOM.

RPGs are a direct-fire and man portable weapon - mortars can be carried but are far heavier and unusable until set up. Mortars require extremely precise measurements and accuracy in order to be used effectively - that's why nowadays they use GPS and tracking devices, which likely would not be present in DayZ.

Rate of fire wouldn't really be significant considering rarity of ammunition would mean you'll only have a few at a time. As for practicality, you'd have even less incentive to take it until you'd reached a high status in terms of base and vehicle control, because you're not going to be able to use it on the fly.

Granted, yes, for planned offensive/defense purposes a mortar could be more beneficial in the end, but that does not at all mean we should get them over RPGs, which are also more realistic.

An RPG requires one guy, not four guys, and doesn't need coordinates. I'd say that's a bit more practical, especially post apocalypse when the technological advantages we have now are far harder to acquire.

Edited by Chaingunfighter

RPGs are a direct-fire and man portable weapon - mortars can be carried but are far heavier and unusable until set up. Mortars require extremely precise measurements and accuracy in order to be used effectively - that's why nowadays they use GPS and tracking devices, which likely would not be present in DayZ.

Rate of fire wouldn't really be significant considering rarity of ammunition would mean you'll only have a few at a time. As for practicality, you'd have even less incentive to take it until you'd reached a high status in terms of base and vehicle control, because you're not going to be able to use it on the fly.

Granted, yes, for planned offensive/defense purposes a mortar could be more beneficial in the end, but that does not at all mean we should get them over RPGs, which are also more realistic.

An RPG requires one guy, not four guys, and doesn't need coordinates. I'd say that's a bit more practical, especially post apocalypse when the technological advantages we have now are far harder to acquire.

Very true. ( I still bring up the point that we have used mortars for centuries, using nothing more than a map and some knowledge of physics/trigonometry, but I digress) I, in fact, would rather not have either. Mainly due to the lack of ammunition (on one server, however, more on that below) and the complete and total lack of balance that it would bring.

We already have had (and probably still have) people/clans server-hopping and duping for grenades, flashbangs, hell, even 75 round AKM drums at one point. If a clan dedicates enough time to exploit their way to XXX-amount of ammunition, then that form of "balance" is moot. Better not drive anything on one of their servers, ever!

And, I believe that "everyone" should have the same chance to gain gear. If one clan hordes all of the mortar ammunition/rockets, what else can the other players do to combat that? Can't use vehicles to search for their storage. Essentially, can't use a vehicle, period. Why waste the time building one if it can just get blown up and there is jack-shit I can do in retaliation? At least with small arms, you can still fire back somewhat effectively. Get blown up in a vehicle via RPG, you are done.

Rocket launcher... ummm... does it fire rounds of Dean Hall? What is this launcher you speak of? And where and why is it launching Dean?

This sounds unsafe.

Please no rocket launchers!! It would be the last thing id be grabbing in a zed apoc , a heavy generally single shot weapon that would be awkward to carry around long term (imagine humping that thing day in day out for months to use it on what ???)

Its not a great weapon against infantry (i wouldnt imagine against zeds either) an d would make sure every zed for kms would come running so basicly a death sentence.

Please no mortars these are horribly effective against infantry so much so with good placement the amount of death destruction you could rain down would be near unstoppable. If you added them they would need to aid something else to counter it and so on and so till we are playing arma... When i want to play arma guess what i play arma its a great game for military style pvp...

Well, this has been a fun read. 

So long as nothing stupid like apcs are added there is zero need for rockets.

Why not add some teamwork and add a spg 9 instead requiring at least 2 people to set it up and a third to carry a tiny bit of ammo.

Why would you use an RPG against zombies, when it has been stated MULTIPLE TIMES  that RPGS do jack-shit against infantry?

I don't think you understand how many different things an RPG can sling.

There's V, VL, VR, VM, frags, and my favourite being thermobaric.

Go look up what thermobarics do. That'd be absolutely horrifying to be in a building bunkered up to be countered with one.

I don't think you understand how many different things an RPG can sling.

There's V, VL, VR, VM, frags, and my favourite being thermobaric.

Go look up what thermobarics do. That'd be absolutely horrifying to be in a building bunkered up to be countered with one.

Once again why?

A single thermobaric round would easily take out a building. Currently and in any situation I can see there is no need for such a weapon.

I'd say have them in, very very rare and only to be found on their respective Nato or Russian heli crash sites depending on the stereotypical national identity they'd belong to.

With the persistence in the game, would rocket damaged buildings stay damaged after server restart? I'd like that. Could maybe have them rebuildable to some degree also, with a team of players armed with trowels and wheel barrows full of concrete ;) Solnichny factory is/was a cement works wasn't it? Possibilities !

RPGs were in the DayZ mod...why not? Good against vehicles, not terribly effective against infantry, fun to use. They can totally be balanced to fit into the DayZ gameplay experience, just determines if you want people to potentially have access to such arsenal...

Edited by t1337Dude

Considering in the last experimental patches military rifles, magazines and attachments are as rare as an honest politician...I seriously doubt they will add rocket launchers, tanks, IFVs and such. More military hardware and 0.46/0.47/0.48-style PvP doesn't seem the direction the dev team is going towards. If you want that silly mix of ARMA and zombies install the mod.

Edited by DocWolf

My successful troll thread has been a success (first time trying this out). I don't even know how people took this serious as it seemed extremely stupid, considering there was a damn mini nuke in that picture. Ahaha, this community never seems to fail at making things entertaining.

troll thread turned into serious discussion. Hmm.

• Like 1

My successful troll thread has been a success

Don't. Otherwise you'll never be able to discuss anything anymore ever.

• Like 2