PongoZ

When are we going to get gold spray paint cans?

you said "real life zombie apocalypse" lol

I don't suppose you've heard of the term "hypothetical situation".

shit...has the real life zombie apocalypse begun?? Where is it? I wanna use my Dayz skillz on it!

Same as above.

True, but there are plenty of people out there who would happily be willing to live with that risk.

Which wouldn't be the case if it was a real thing and not just a game. Why allow people do something they wouldn't do IRL in a game that strives for realism?

Little known fact... in the real life zombie apocalypse... all of the spray paint thats not green or black will cease to exist.

They can exist for all I care, just not be usable because people wouldn't use it if it wasn't a game.

In WHAT fucking real life situation have you survived a "REAL LIFE" zombie apocalypse? Cut the fucking bullshit dude.

How old are you again? Sorry if I don't agree with giving people the ability to do nonsense.

God forbid anyone try to bring a little cheery color into the drab, morose world of an apocalypse though.

I get and mostly agree with your point but I don't feel the "measured realism" BI is trying for would disallow a random rare spawn of colored spray paint.

Something being rare only encourages people to use it. Why add something that doesn't... well... add anything to the game, yet gives the feeling that it isn't a zombie apocalypse where people actually try to survive instead of looking flashy?

I don't suppose you've heard of the term "hypothetical situation".

Same as above.

Which wouldn't be the case if it was a real thing and not just a game. Why allow people do something they wouldn't do IRL in a game that strives for realism?

They can exist for all I care, just not be usable because people wouldn't use it if it wasn't a game.

How old are you again? Sorry if I don't agree with giving people the ability to do nonsense.

Something being rare only encourages people to use it. Why add something that doesn't... well... add anything to the game, yet gives the feeling that it isn't a zombie apocalypse where people actually try to survive instead of looking flashy?

Much older than you.

Of course if I am "just trying to survive" in some marginal sense then I don't really need to spray paint my gun or axe at all, right?  

It seems pretty clear to me that beyond the first hour of being in Chernarus a player is generally no longer surviving but actually trying to carve out a sustainable living in this landscape.  If that were not true then we would all just walk off the map in a straight line away from the infected madness and toward unaffected lands.  Sustainability can easily include a few creature comforts (like a constructed base, which is coming) and some ability to distinguish yourself or members of a group - sometimes as a serious act of establishing clan identity for the purpose of intimidation or the demanding of respect.  

For an analog consider the fictional post-apocalyptic Australia in Mad Max.  People banded together for safety and/or banditry and there were plenty examples of clan (or anthropologically speaking, tribal) marking.  It has a purpose beyond basic survival.  In that world a gold-colored gun would certainly be evocative and play into the plans of many types of characters.  I think your definition of play in DayZ is too limited in scope.

"Why allow people do something they wouldn't do IRL in a game that strives for realism?"

The game is not striving for realism, its not a survival simulation, its a game.

But either way, who are you to declare "what someone would do IRL"

In real life people mutilate them selves to try to stand out, you think IRL no one would paint their gun gold?

Honestly it was a joke from the start, but your take on what the game is or is not is kind of strange.

• Like 1

"Why allow people do something they wouldn't do IRL in a game that strives for realism?"

The game is not striving for realism, its not a survival simulation, its a game.

In real life people mutilate them selves to try to stand out, you think IRL no one would paint their gun gold?

Honestly it was a joke from the start, but your take on what the game is or is not is kind of strange.

I would love to see gold, silver and bronze in game. It would give more options. That and any color to be honest. I think camo colors need to be a tad rarer and other colors a little more common. That way if ppl want to go commando they will have to hunt a little harder for the colors they want. Ether way everyone wins because we can all choose what we want to look like whether it be soldier, hunter or civilian.

• Like 1

Much older than you.

You certainly don't appear to be.

a player is generally no longer surviving but actually trying to carve out a sustainable living in this landscape.

Yes. By "trying to survive" I didn't mean that one wouldn't strive for better life, however it's still the main objective. And flashy colors simply don't help.

It is my belief that the amount of players who would spray paint their stuff in flashy colors in DayZ would greatly exceed the amount of people who would do that if it was real and they only had a single life, in turn unnecessarily making the game less realistic than it could be by simply not introducing those spray paint colors. Sure, such spray colors would exist IRL and be available for people, but in DayZ players would use them for the lulz because their in-game life matters way less than a real one. It simply is not worth it, as it's too trivial a feature to sacrifice realism for it.

An example: Flares and chemlights are everywhere, and I usually light them up as I come across them. Why? Because I can and it doesn't matter. Would I do that IRL? No, it could draw attention of unfriendly people. Are they worth being in-game? Yes. It's a much needed light source. Can the same be said about flashy spray colors?

Edited by Powerhouse

attract more ladies to the game...

adding ajustable  boob size, hip size, few makeup things and hair style..

would brutally attract more ladies to the game...

• Like 1

It is my belief that the amount of players who would spray paint their stuff in flashy colors in DayZ would greatly exceed the amount of people who would do that if it was real and they only had a single life, in turn unnecessarily making the game less realistic than it could be by simply not introducing those spray paint colors. Sure, such spray colors would exist IRL and be available for people, but in DayZ players would use them for the lulz because their in-game life matters way less than a real one. It simply is not worth it, as it's too trivial a feature to sacrifice realism for it.

An example: Flares and chemlights are everywhere, and I usually light them up as I come across them. Why? Because I can and it doesn't matter. Would I do that IRL? No, it could draw attention of unfriendly people. Are they worth being in-game? Yes. It's a much needed light source. Can the same be said about flashy spray colors?

I completely agree with that. I still would not be opposed to some color in the game but you make a good argument.

You certainly don't appear to be.

I have that whole Asian gene thing going with the looking younger than i should be lol.

In what scenario would you paint your gun gold in a real life zombie apocalypse?

My favorite visions of the apocalypse are the ones where certain people establish themselves with identities and symbols, see Fallout, Wasteland, The Book of Eli, STALKER, Metro, etc. Warring tribes and nations often use symbols (headdresses, certain colours, certain clothing or armor, certain weapons, etc etc) to intimidate or identify and even boost morale.

Obviously a lot of this is tied into the art direction of the game, so you aren't going to have this kind of thing unless its built in by artists, but there can be some within the confines of the game world itself. Colour, painting, and dyeing sounds like a pretty sound way to go about it within DayZ's world imo.

I have that whole Asian gene thing going with the looking younger than i should be lol.

Appearance is not what I was judging your age by.

• Like 1

Appearance is not what I was judging your age by.

Look just because some one wants more color options in the game does not make them childish. There are plenty of things in the game we DONT have to have yet they are there. You can be as drab, boring and fucking realistic as you want in the game. No one is forcing you to wear specific clothing sets or color your clothing bright pink and purple.

Edited by Deathlove

Look just because some one wants more color options in the game does not make them childish.

You wanting more spray colors isn't what I was judging your age by neither. It's the way you write in general.

You can be as drab, boring and fucking realistic as you want in the game. No one is forcing you to wear specific clothing sets or color your clothing bright pink and purple.

I can do that in any game, but I won't because it's bothersome. DayZ, a game striving for realism, should subtly enforce it itself, otherwise the game gets less realistic than it could be with no benefit. You're arguing over something so trivial as bright spray paint colors without thinking what side effect it will have, that's your problem.

Edited by Powerhouse

You wanting more spray colors isn't what I was judging your age by neither. It's the way you write in general.

I can do that in any game, but I won't because it's bothersome. DayZ, a game striving for realism, should subtly enforce it itself, otherwise the game gets less realistic than it could be with no benefit. You're arguing over something so trivial as bright spray paint colors without thinking what side effect it will have, that's your problem.

But the you fail to realize camo offers NOTHING in terms of benefits to the game. You can still see ppl running everywhere on the map even in the most bland gear.So unless that changes ppl with the lowest minimal graphic settings are still going to find you no matter how tacticool you want to be.

But the you fail to realize camo offers NOTHING in terms of benefits to the game. You can still see ppl running everywhere on the map even in the most bland gear.So unless that changes ppl with the lowest minimal graphic settings are still going to find you no matter how tacticool you want to be.

People will have a much harder time seeing me hidden in a bush if my gun is sprayed green or during night if my gun is sprayed black. People will have an easier time noticing me if my gun is sprayed golden.

• Like 1

Spray Fireman's Ax with Gold Spray Paint

Spray M4 With Gold Spray Paint

Spray Sawnoff Shotgun with Gold Spray Paint

Consume Gold Spray Paint

I have a funny taste in my mouth...

"Aww fuck..."

A few mins later . . . 

"GUYS GUYS I NEED CHARCOAL PLEASE DO NOT SHOOT ME I AM FRENDLY"

*player(s) start to laugh at the fact that that the other guys face and chest is covered with golden paint after they shoot him*

At least he died quickly and stupidly

• Like 1

Just let people have their fun. If someone wants to paint their gun gold, silver, bright pink let them. This is not real life, this is a game, there are no severe consequences for deciding to dress up in just underpants and a cow boy hat and running around in the middle of an airfield, other than dying and losing your hat.

If you want to play seriously, go ahead, you payed for the game and have a right to play it as you choose. However, just because you want to play one way dosen't mean everyone else does. If someone wants a pink helmet let them have you, you don't need to have one. Besides wouldn't have all these differing colours increase realism? After all not all spray cans have just green in them.

• Like 5

Just let people have their fun. If someone wants to paint their gun gold, silver, bright pink let them. This is not real life, this is a game, there are no severe consequences for deciding to dress up in just underpants and a cow boy hat and running around in the middle of an airfield, other than dying and losing your hat.

If you want to play seriously, go ahead, you payed for the game and have a right to play it as you choose. However, just because you want to play one way dosen't mean everyone else does. If someone wants a pink helmet let them have you, you don't need to have one. Besides wouldn't have all these differing colours increase realism? After all not all spray cans have just green in them.

This guy gets it

Just let people have their fun.

Not if it ruins my fun.

Cheaters ruin my fun.

Players deliberately painting themselves in bright colors and therefore making the game appear less realistic than it could be for little reason would also ruin my fun.

• Like 3

Not if it ruins my fun.

Cheaters ruin my fun.

Players deliberately painting themselves in bright colors and therefore making the game appear less realistic than it could be for little reason would also ruin my fun.

So what the fuck does cheating have anything to do with wearing bright colors? If your a master of killing there should be NO issues with ppl wearing what you don't want them to. But if it fucks up your shooting and play style that bad than maybe ppl need to do that more often.

So what the fuck does cheating have anything to do with wearing bright colors? If your a master of killing there should be NO issues with ppl wearing what you don't want them to. But if it fucks up your shooting and play style that bad than maybe ppl need to do that more often.

Because it is fucking stupid, mate. This is supposed to be a "serious, mature game", using your own words? Tell me, why would you paint a rifle gold or bright pink if it were supposed to be serious? It detracts from my experience when you want to act like an immature jerkoff.

And, nice ad-hominem. You really like to use them, huh? How old are you again?

• Like 1

Because it is fucking stupid, mate. This is supposed to be a "serious, mature game", using your own words? Tell me, why would you paint a rifle gold or bright pink if it were supposed to be serious? It detracts from my experience when you want to act like an immature jerkoff.

And, nice ad-hominem. You really like to use them, huh? How old are you again?

It has NO effect on your skill to be tacticool. Like serious get a fucking grip man. Get out of your house and go for a walk or something.

The only REASON i would act like a immature jerkoff is if you DESERVE it. If you want to be full MILITARY and Hunter camo gear than anything bright or slightly light hearted than go that route no one is forcing you to. If you kill a few guys that go this route thats fine but if they manage to kill you even with your BEST camo gear and muddy looking clothing than maybe you should have played your tactics better.

This is SUPPOSED to be a sandbox based game but if i were to follow your rules on how to play things would seem ALLOT more linear.

Edited by Deathlove

In what scenario would you paint your gun gold in a real life zombie apocalypse?

As zombies probably don't care too much about camouflage I would paint my gun gold for the following reasons:

• it shows my fellow survivors who and where I am
  • it shows my fellow survivors that i am probably not someone who used the chaos to ambush and kill other survivors
  • its harder to lose and easier to find quickly if needed
  • it shows that I am probably part of a group and maybe of higher status
  • I just like it to have a golden weapon

I can only repeat that this argument is full of bullshit and MilSim biased and the game is actually more realistic if you are able to paint yourself in bright colors and significantly less realistic if you cannot find bright spraypaint or use it in this way.

You people should really stop thinking "realistic zombie apocalypse = MilSim" - thats stupid.

• Like 1

As zombies probably don't care too much about camouflage I would paint my gun gold for the following reasons:

• it shows my fellow survivors who and where I am
  • it shows my fellow survivors that i am probably not someone who used the chaos to ambush and kill other survivors
  • its harder to lose and easier to find quickly if needed
  • it shows that I am probably part of a group and maybe of higher status
  • I just like it to have a golden weapon

I can only repeat that this argument is full of bullshit and MilSim biased and the game is actually more realistic if you are able to paint yourself in bright colors and significantly less realistic if you cannot find bright spraypaint or use it in this way.

You people should really stop thinking "realistic zombie apocalypse = MilSim" - thats stupid.

Or, you could attach a sling to your weapon. Boom, never lose it.

Paint your weapon stupid colors, and enjoy your death as opponents scope you out from that bush far, FAR farther away than if you used a more sensible coloration.

I dislike this for the same reason I dislike people running around with no pants: it is foolish, immature, and looks bad on the playerbase. Do you want to play a hardcore survival game set after the SHTF, or do you want to play a game where pantsless yahoos run around with bright pink firearms, playing music over gamechat as they murder anyone they find?

just my opinion.