Sign in to follow this  
Death By Crowbar

Staying warm...

I did some searching and I found this thread which had a lot of discussion on whether the mechanic is working, servers that are warmer than others, etc but I created a new thread because I'm interested in discussing how everyone is dealing with this currently because it's giving me a hard time:

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/212229-im-freezing-wait-why/

What I'm looking to get some insight into is how everyone is staying warm enough, consistently (is that even possible right now?). The only method that worked for me was to make and carry a log, matches, and fireplace kit with me everywhere and stop to make a fire when I hit tab and saw I was cold and/or freezing/sick. No combination of gear has consistently been able to keep me warm. Over the past 3 days I've also looked for a rain coat or a Gorka jacket, and I've been able to find neither, oddly.

Is stopping to make a fire every 30 minutes or so the only solution currently or have I overlooked something? How is everyone else dealing with this on stable?

It's a nice mechanic that adds to the game, it's just very very tough to carry a fire kit and log everywhere. I certainly can't make a new one every 30 minutes to an hour or I'd constantly be looking for replacement axes after ruining them. My assumption is there's some balancing that's still coming to help with this. I've even tried using a gas stove, surely that would warm you but it doesn't. I did also find that in general it's recognized this is an "acknowledged issue" on the Feedback Tracker:

http://feedback.dayzgame.com/view.php?id=17130

(0066939)
Andy (Bohemia Interactive - manager) 
2014-10-06 16:23

Hello Cheboygan and others,
this is an issue we are aware of and currently looking into.
Please keep providing any possibly relevant feedback here as this ticket will now be considered the main one for this issue.
Thank you,
Andy

PS. If noone has noticed making a fire anywhere but on the ground (especially the 2nd or higher floor of a building) renders the fire useless from a warmth perspective. I couldn't find anything about this in the Feedback Tracker, going to keep looking but if I find nothing I'll report that as well.

• Like 1

Fully clothed, including face mask bandana, but without a vest and I find myself freezing quite quickly as well.

I do not carry logs/fireplace kits everywhere, that is too much to carry and is silly. Matches + a fireaxe is all I need, as when I am freezing I just cut logs and make a fireplace on the fly.

That's all very well but you forgot the WIP element.

The goal is (I believe) 40 mins alive with no cloths or food & water + not moving in a September weather conditions, in fact here is the link...

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2inp48/new_experimental_update_incoming_no_eta/cl3srsy

I lit a fire yesterday outside of a door less wooden hut in Elektro and it did not heat me up, or I had no I am slowly warming up messages (Exp).

I had no thermometer to confirm.

Our own Dev Tracker...

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/212621-reddit-eugen-on-hunger-thirst-and-weather-conditions-on-experimental/

• Like 2

Well, I'm carrying a fireplace with me. After you took it into your gear you can add one piece of firewood, so you only need 4 places for a full functionable fireplace.

And I'm getting cold even with Gorka jacket and Gorka trousers (the autun variant)...

BTW I burned myself today, did not realize you must not go to close to the fire...

Edited by mji

If we are going to assume the cold/warmth system is fully realistic it is VERY easy to start freezing the way we run around in the game. Low temperature and a sweaty body= freezing

But then again who knows how the system works. And really they should make a guide on how it works so that we know whats bugged and whats intended....

It bothers my authenticity-o-meter somewhat that you can 'pack up' a used fireplace, stuff it inside a hoodie, then stuff that into the pockets of your jeans.

• Like 2

It bothers my authenticity-o-meter somewhat that you can 'pack up' a used fireplace, stuff it inside a hoodie, then stuff that into the pockets of your jeans.

You don't watch the shows about hoarders, do you? They do that and pack up the dead zombies and find a way to stuff them in their pockets too!

Any variety of boonie hat seems keep rain off of your whole body (haven't confirmed). This may be a bug.

A pristine/worn Raincoat does effectively keep you dry. HOWEVER it does not keep you warm. You slowly cool off but I don't think I've ever been freezing with the Raincoat on.

Cargo pants seem to be better than jeans for keeping you dry.

I've had dry clothes (jogging jacket) inside a hunters backpack that ended up getting wet while the rest of me was dry.

Wool coat or Down jacket and you're good to go. If you can't find one then use sprint and make fire. I didn't really struggle with the coldness even in the winter experimental (never got a worse status than cold).

Edited by St. Jimmy

Any variety of boonie hat seems keep rain off of your whole body (haven't confirmed). This may be a bug.

A pristine/worn Raincoat does effectively keep you dry. HOWEVER it does not keep you warm. You slowly cool off but I don't think I've ever been freezing with the Raincoat on.

Cargo pants seem to be better than jeans for keeping you dry.

I've had dry clothes (jogging jacket) inside a hunters backpack that ended up getting wet while the rest of me was dry.

i have found the rain coat in ruined condition still keeps you dry

I would suggest carrying a log at all times. Axes are so rare and if you dont have a pickaxe for stones to sharpen your axe, you could find yourself in trouble. Of course this only applies to players who play this game properly, and not camp next to one city all the time or server hoppers.

Also is it just me or does staying indoors warm you up???

Play experimental, it's September over there ;)

That would required the Exp servers to actually be working first :(

• Like 1

Don't carry the logs and shit... Just carry your axe and matches and rags you can make a fireplace on the spot when needed... I keep matches in both my tents and on my person at all times

How I staying warm enough, consistently. It is positively possible right now  :)

DayZ SA Stable - 0.49.124971

After new spawn, I have 10-15 min until cold freeze death, rain or not, any type of clothes or server.    
Warm up I need fire in fireplace outside.
To make fireplace and ignite it, I need to find axe, matches, and book/pater/rags/bandages, and no rain.
I can make 1st fireplace with any axe, even in badly damaged condition, despite zeds resistance to the very idea.
Cosplayers also may not like it, thats different issue obstacle, and any nearby hero may help also, depends.
Anyhow, after 1st fire you still have the same very time until next freezing death - 10 to 15 min.
You may return periodically to you 1st fireplace, but its limiting you effective range.
Problem with your 2nd fire is your axe. If its in worn condition, you are fine.
If it is in badly damaged, most likely you will not be able to make 2nd fire, your axe will be ruined in process,
and if you far from your first fire, and freezing already, thats most likely means death for you.

Only solution I found is to carry 2 axes, one, preferably pristine, to melee zeds,
and second would be in damaged condition eventually, to chop fire wood, split for sticks.
Melee axe degrade very slow from zeds, and chopping axe degrade very very fast.
With damaged axe its very trouble to kill zeds.

Also remember, that you have only about 50 hit points for your whole life span.
So I need to carry stone to sharpen chopping axe, sometime twice for one fireplace.
To mine stone from stone deposit in a quarry, or rock formation, you need to find pickaxe.
If you put mined stone near near/in your chest, zeds will ruin it very quickly, and ruined stone is not usable for sharpening axe.    
So I have melee axe on shoulder, chopping axe, stone, matches and book in a backpack for safety.
With all that setup I can make fire first sign of freezing, about every 10  15   20 min in game, in rain more often.
Clothes, Gorka, masks, respirators, food, energy, water, whatnot warm server - all no matter for freezing.
You may make fire when cold, to start new cold cycle. It is mandatory when light freezing started.
In a deep crimson freezing nothing will help you, you dead in a water.

What I found somehow very strange, that after about staying this way alive for about 12 in game hours, cold stops bothering me.
Any ruined clothes, rain or not, cooling messages continue, but I never get cold or freezing.
So I can drop chopping axe, stone, book and matches, free inv space.

That effectively means, that sniper campers do not freeze by waiting for you. Palmface.
And zed are not spawning around you anymore, if you don't move for long.

Bottom line, its hard to stay warm for new spawn, and not for vet.

Gas stove + canister is a very portable and effective alternative to carrying all the various shit you need for making fires - and probably easier to find.

Edited by Pillock

I never have the "I m freezing" or "cold" status, just "I m slightly cooling off", maybe it s because i never stop moving. Here s my clothing, i don t know if this combination does wonders but it works:

- Ballistic helmet (pristine)

- Balaclava (worn)

- TTsKO jacket (worn)

- Autumn Gorka pants (worn)

- High capacity vest (worn)

- Military boots (pristine)

- Working gloves (pristine)

- Hunter backpack (pristine), i wonder if the backpack keeps your back warm, irl it does.

I don t know if because i have a TTsKO jacket and a Gorka pant i don t sweat and therefore i m not freezing once the temperature drops. For me the Gorka jacket and the pants are just too much and they must make you sweat. That s my opinion. Maybe someone knows how temerature really works in DayZ. I never found clear information about this.

Edited by MaxTheSurvivor

Gas stove + canister is a very portable and effective alternative to carrying all the various shit you need for making fires - and probably easier to find.

Gas stove + canister didn't work for me, meaning, while ignited, it wasn't warming me up.

Could you please share insights for your positive experiences, like what place, indoors/outside, what type indoors building, garage may be, was outside place covered by any sort of roof, did you feel rain when under outside roof, were you dumped/wet/soaked, what environment condition, rain   or  clear sky, wind, air temperature, did you see your frozen breath, your clothes/boots/masks/helmets and its conditions,  your water/food/energy/health/blood/exposure/feet/stomach/heatcomfort/bodytemperature conditions, for how long did you stay alive in  current life spawn, what cooling/warming messages did you see, etc., anything else relevant.

Any little clue may improve the overall odds.

I never have the "I m freezing" or "cold" status, just "I m slightly cooling off", maybe it s because i never stop moving. Here s my clothing, i don t know if this combination does wonders but it works:

- Balaclava (worn)

- TTsKO jacket (worn)

- Hunter backpack (pristine), i wonder if the backpack keeps your back warm, irl it does.

I don t know if because i have a TTsKO jacket and a Gorka pant i don t sweat and therefore i m not freezing once the temperature drops. For me the Gorka jacket and the pants are just too much and they must make you sweat. That s my opinion. Maybe someone knows how temerature really works in DayZ. I never found clear information about this.

Moving has nothing to do with it

Moving has nothing to do with it

I really don t know mate, i saw that video about temperature as everyone did when 0.49 was on exp. But since then i haven t found any trustable documentation about temperature. Right now i just stick to my clothing combination because i don t need fire to keep warm. Any accurate and not too outdated litterature about temp available somewhere?

- Balaclava (worn)

- TTsKO jacket (worn)

Hhmmm, by never freezing, do you mean, right from the start as fresh spawn, or in this particular setup?

How long are you in the game, how many hours alive in current life ?

I was in Gorka helmet with visor damaged, civic pink/white Balaclava worn,  Gorka jacket worn, TTsKO pants worn, about 4-5 hours in current life, and had usual about 15 min timeframe before light freezing and death, environment conditions were changing, not affecting timeframe.

I really don t know mate, i saw that video about temperature as everyone did when 0.49 was on exp. But since then i haven t found any trustable documentation about temperature. Right now i just stick to my clothing combination because i don t need fire to keep warm. Any accurate and not too outdated litterature about temp available somewhere?

I think staying indoors helps a little. but the temperature drop itself isn't constant, sometimes I get "im cold" status just few minutes after using fire to warm myself, but sometimes it doesn't happen for a long time

took about 6 attempts. But soon as you find a coat you're good to go. Now im fully gorka'd up and dont feel the rain or cold.

Hhmmm, by never freezing, do you mean, right from the start as fresh spawn, or in this particular setup?

How long are you in the game, how many hours alive in current life ?

I was in Gorka helmet with visor damaged, civic pink/white Balaclava worn,  Gorka jacket worn, TTsKO pants worn, about 4-5 hours in current life, and had usual about 15 min timeframe before light freezing and death, environment conditions were changing, not affecting timeframe.

Sorry mate didn't noticed you quoted my post. In this particular setup of course, as a fresh spawn I was freezing for the 2 first hours until I managed to loot NWAF. I have 170h in game and I'm playing with the same character since 2 days after they released 0.49 (first character got killed in NWAF). Playing 3-4 hours per day in average.

As I said, I have no idea what makes me not being not too cold or too warm, I played on different servers, on all of them I could see my breath and I never had to start a fire. When I read the posts about people complaining that their characters died of hypothermia I don't understand why I don't experience the same. Blind luck that my setup is just balanced enough to never experience temperature problems? That video about temperature was giving us values like a jacket adds +2 to heat, etc... but it looks like it doesn't match my experience. Death can be around the next corner and before this happens I'd like to know how temperature works so that I know what clothing in need to look for in the next one.

Sorry mate didn't noticed you quoted my post. In this particular setup of course, as a fresh spawn I was freezing for the 2 first hours until I managed to loot NWAF. I have 170h in game and I'm playing with the same character since 2 days after they released 0.49 (first character got killed in NWAF). Playing 3-4 hours per day in average.

As I said, I have no idea what makes me not being not too cold or too warm, I played on different servers, on all of them I could see my breath and I never had to start a fire. When I read the posts about people complaining that their characters died of hypothermia I don't understand why I don't experience the same. Blind luck that my setup is just balanced enough to never experience temperature problems? That video about temperature was giving us values like a jacket adds +2 to heat, etc... but it looks like it doesn't match my experience. Death can be around the next corner and before this happens I'd like to know how temperature works so that I know what clothing in need to look for in the next one.

Hhhmmm, 2 hours, not bad, not bad at all.

So, for me it was 2 times, when I reach condition, when internal self-warming compensates external cooling, and stay warm indefinitely, regardless weather/rain/wind/whatever.

Both times it took about 12 hours from new fresh spawn, too long for my liking.

For you it was just 2 hours, huge difference. So its not time alone.

Its not just clothes combo, I was dressed similar, and still suffered from cold freezing.

Ultimate goal is of course to put it blindly under 15 min    ha ) lol

After some heavy thinking/drinking, I do have some suggestion about this condition, I'd like validate a few things, before narrowing it down.

Now questions:

- How long did you stay near you last fireplace, before compensation takes place?

- Do you know, what was your body temperature right after leaving fireplace?

- What cooling/warming messages did you see, if any?