comikz

I'm Freezing, wait, why?!

Alright I get it, Devs, you want us to make Camp fires to warm ourselves up and to cook meat to eat, but honestly if I am wearing something such as, Full Gorka w/ Gloves/Boots/Ski-mask ect. things that in their description note that it is designed to KEEP YOU WARM, then I should stay warm, I know condition of your clothing effects it keeping you warm, and rain and such, but my gear is pristine, and I'm not wet, please turn the in-game thermostat up, lol.

Moving will keep you warm as well. My assumption is that you were generally stationary.

Also, in reality, if it's below freezing, you can still freeze to death even though you wear heavy clothing.

I don't want the devs to nerf weather.  :(

• Like 1

Not asking for a Nerf, I just think that looking around the landscape, that it's a bit too cold for what the environment suggests, and I don't keep stationary for long, very brief parts of my playtime as I play on populated servers in areas where you stay still for too long and your going to get found out or shot. Don't get me wrong, I like the weather changes they added, however as I said, I believe it's too cold for what the environment suggests.

• Like 1

Not asking for a Nerf, I just think that looking around the landscape, that it's a bit too cold for what the environment suggests, and I don't keep stationary for long, very brief parts of my playtime as I play on populated servers in areas where you stay still for too long and your going to get found out or shot. Don't get me wrong, I like the weather changes they added, however as I said, I believe it's too cold for what the environment suggests.

It's entirely possible that you're clothes are showing as Pristine but are actually ruined (drop/pickup will soon tell you - as this has happened to me).

Another thing I've noticed is that if you have a full belly from eating you tend to warm up as well. (Although I have not properly tested this) Are you fully energized/hydrated/healthy?

Edited by .#KimoSabbi

I've obtained Full Healthy/Energized/Hyrdrated fully BRIGHT green, I will try the drop/pickup idea.

:D:D:D

Please just, for the love of God, admit that the system (as is) is either bugged or unbalanced.

Instead, you try to painstakingly find flaws in the way the OP is playing.

Same goes for getting instantly soaked after peeking out the door for 1 second during a mild shower.

I know that time passage is faster, therefore we should be getting hungry/thirsty and warm/cold faster, but the way it is now, Chernarus still feels like a polar region, despite only in early autumn colours. Before you start blaming me for not knowing how to play, I didn't die once from hypo/hyperthermia, despite it working wrong. I just don't like when people try to blindly defend something that isn't clearly working as intended, especially when you can plainly see the system behaving differently (to opposite extremes) when playing on different servers.

Edited by retro19
  • Like 10

Moving will keep you warm as well. My assumption is that you were generally stationary.

Also, in reality, if it's below freezing, you can still freeze to death even though you wear heavy clothing.

I don't want the devs to nerf weather.  :(

I just ran from Zelen to grishno with full pack and pristine gear. And im Freezing. Explain THAT if you can. Im now panicking trying to find an Axe (The one i have for axing zombies questions is ruined and wont cut trees....) Prefferably before i develop hypothermia. PLEASE FiX the thermostat. Ty Ty Ty Ty

Edited by Destructo_Brat

I just ran from Zelen to grishno with full pack and pristine gear. And im Freezing. Explain THAT if you can. Im now panicking trying to find an Axe (The one i have for axing zombies questions is ruined and wont cut trees....) Prefferably before i develop hypothermia. PLEASE FiX the thermostat. Ty Ty Ty Ty

There's no rhyme or reason. Some days are colder than others.

Just build yourself a fire. There's no sense in nerfing the survival aspect just because people die from weather conditions (as the devs intended).

I simply haven't been soaked since I got full Gorka kit and a boonie. Can run around all day in the rain and nothing happens.

The constant messages are irritating, but I did actually enjoy the experience of having to start my first fire the other day.

It's also wholly server dependent, so you can always, er, warmth log...

Just build yourself a fire. There's no sense in nerfing the survival aspect just because people die from weather conditions (as the devs intended).

Odd thing about fires.. Seems you NEED an AXE to cut down wood. I GOT freezing trying to find a Noneruined one in the first place. Boy whata perfectly viscious lil circle. lol

Dont get me wrong i LOVE the weather system. Rain covers sound when creeping through towns at night. I agree its a lil screwy when i get soaked sticking my head out the door for a few seconds. lol

But its easy enough to wring out clothes and dry.

I also love the fire building to keep warm and cook meat.

But this temp system is too buggy to be implemented. Still they will only know this by testing it out on US. Human guinea pigs lolol

But running in full gear in the sunshine i should not be freezing.

Shrug

I simply haven't been soaked since I got full Gorka kit and a boonie. Can run around all day in the rain and nothing happens.

The constant messages are irritating, but I did actually enjoy the experience of having to start my first fire the other day.

It's also wholly server dependent, so you can always, er, warmth log...

I has Gorka Gear..

Umm How do you warmth log.? :)

I'm sure they didn't intend it to be irritating. I'm also sure they didn't intend players to die just from running in a t-shirt for 15 minutes. It might surprise you but what they are aiming for is this scenario

cold -> freezing -> sick -> dead

rather than

cold -> freezing -> hypothermia -> dead

The second scenario would only be viable if you somehow decided to do a 15 min naked swim with only a couple of degrees Celsius outside.

In reality you wouldn't get hypothermia that easily. You would get pneumonia though.

Ergo, what we have now, and I'm sure it's bound to change (maybe not nerfed or buffed, but rather overhauled, for those who fancy terminology), is neither realistic, authentic, nor balanced. It's broken. That's what led to a false denomination of "warm" and "cold" servers - there is no setting here, just some variable destabilises the whole whether system on some servers.

Edited by retro19

I just ran from Zelen to grishno with full pack and pristine gear. And im Freezing.

I has Gorka Gear..

IMO this is great, have all the mill spec gear you want, but without basic survival tools your screwed anyway. Don't get me wrong things need fixing and balancing, but I hope that survival requirements always come first. I only started actively playing it again when I heard about all the deaths to the weather system :)

It's entirely possible that you're clothes are showing as Pristine but are actually ruined (drop/pickup will soon tell you - as this has happened to me).

Another thing I've noticed is that if you have a full belly from eating you tend to warm up as well. (Although I have not properly tested this) Are you fully energized/hydrated/healthy?

I think this is right. My mate was cold yesterday, he ate something and the cold status went from the Inv screen.

• Like 1

One word

Vilayer.

their servers are warmer.

One word

Vilayer.

their servers are warmer.

Aren't they the people who had that shoddy dealing with that guy who made dayz commander?

Aren't they the people who had that shoddy dealing with that guy who made dayz commander?

I have no idea. They host a bout half of the SA servers and I am never cold on their servers. As soon as I go to another provider I am freezing.

and my character is in TTsKO jacket, black cargo pants, military boots, and a skimask.

Edited by escobert

Odd thing about fires.. Seems you NEED an AXE to cut down wood. I GOT freezing trying to find a Noneruined one in the first place. Boy whata perfectly viscious lil circle. lol

Dont get me wrong i LOVE the weather system. Rain covers sound when creeping through towns at night. I agree its a lil screwy when i get soaked sticking my head out the door for a few seconds. lol

But its easy enough to wring out clothes and dry.

I also love the fire building to keep warm and cook meat.

But this temp system is too buggy to be implemented. Still they will only know this by testing it out on US. Human guinea pigs lolol

But running in full gear in the sunshine i should not be freezing.

Shrug

lol I know, funny ain't it? Of course though, like any other newly-implemented system, bugs are to be expected. & in order to fix these bugs, they first need to properly diagnosed by us, the testers, as you've already said. I've personally not once succumbed to hypothermia (not bragging, just shedding light on my personal experience).

That being said, as a fresh spawn, I first look for warm/water-resistant clothing. Preferably a pristine rain coat, & water-resistant head gear such as a boonie hat, helmet, etc. Once I've obtained these, rain is no longer a threat, & I then need to focus on food & staying warm. Food can be found in abundance, so really that doesn't take long.

I then try to find myself an axe & matches. I typically tear any loose t-shirts into rags that I find along the way. Once I've obtained these things, I can build a fire at a moments notice if necessary. I generally go about my business even when I'm in the "cold" state. It's only when I'm in the "freezing" state that I begin to build a fire. & to my understanding the fire is bugged at the moment, & only works either outside or on the first floor of buildings. So if the fire doesn't warm you up, move it to a different location & try again.

If you find that these methods don't work & you're still freezing to death, I would suggest that maybe the server you're playing on is bugged?

It's hard for me to determine whether or not players are legitimately dying from harsh weather conditions, or a bugged system, but the system is still very new & as I'm sure you already know, will be improved with time.

I just personally feel that upping the temperature isn't the solution at the moment.

I'm sure they didn't intend it to be irritating. I'm also sure they didn't intend players to die just from running in a t-shirt for 15 minutes.

Yes, I very much agree that they didn't intend for the system to be irritating. But what might irritate you, may not irritate others. It's very subjective.

I've never personally died within 15 minutes of running with a t-shirt, but then again I don't think it's taken me more than 15 minutes to find warmer clothing? Not sure, can't really comment there.

It might surprise you but what they are aiming for is this scenario

cold -> freezing -> sick -> dead

rather than

cold -> freezing -> hypothermia -> dead

Seems like there's a lot of grey area there. Would it not be cold > freezing > sick > hypothermic > dead? & even so, what sickness would you be prone to from the weather conditions other than a cold/flu (I'm no medical expert)? Being cold could obviously contribute to falling ill, but you wouldn't be guaranteed to fall ill every time you started to freeze to death. I'm not sure what you mean. Could you provide a link?

The second scenario would only be viable if you somehow decided to do a 15 min naked swim with only a couple of degrees Celsius outside.

In reality you wouldn't get hypothermia that easily. You would get pneumonia though.

Yes I agree that this is generally the only way you could become hypothermic in such little time. But in all fairness, fresh spawns aren't considered perfectly healthy upon spawing anyway. Who know's what you've been exposed to before allegedly washing up on the shoreline of Chernaraus?

To my understanding, pneumonia is a bacterial infection. Coldness could weaken your immune system, making you more prone to the virus, but again, it's not guaranteed.

Ergo, what we have now, and I'm sure it's bound to change (maybe not nerfed or buffed, but rather overhauled, for those who fancy terminology), is neither realistic, authentic, nor balanced. It's broken. That's what led to a false denomination of "warm" and "cold" servers - there is no setting here, just some variable destabilises the whole whether system on some servers.

Yes, but that's a given. It's to be expected. We're still in alpha.

That's what led to a false denomination of "warm" and "cold" servers - there is no setting here, just some variable destabilises the whole whether system on some servers.

I don't think anyone said it's a server owner setting, it's a setting preset with the Server provider. all Vilayer servers are warmer than Gamestream or whatever the servers are called.

I have done some checking the last few days. Any Vilayer server I enter I don't get cold. Any other server I enter I do get cold. Simple as that.

Edited by escobert

Idk guys, I just use a down jacket and keep a raincoat in my pack...I never get cold unless I get wet, which is ridiculously broken.  If you're running on shore and run ONE SINGLE STEP through a puddle, you're instantly soaking and cooling off, it's crazy.  Other than that though, I haven't had any real problems.  I've also only played 3 or 4 times on this patch, because it's so disgustingly glitchy.  I'd guess probably about 10-14 hours-ish.

I'm sure they didn't intend it to be irritating. I'm also sure they didn't intend players to die just from running in a t-shirt for 15 minutes. 

I'm pretty sure they DID intend it to be both irritating and quickly lethal.  They are testing a new system and I doubt realism is a care at the moment - they can tweak it back at any time.  Rather devs could very easily be wanting to test the mechanics of freezing rather than the realism of a balanced temperature system.  More feedback quicker.  

Also, don't you find it odd that it is very difficult to get overheated (without roasting yourself on an open fire)?  To me that is a hallmark of a biased system, one biased toward a particular testing scenario.

It seems common among posters to assume that balanced play is a short-term goal of the devs.  I have never assumed nor expected that being in such an early stage of development.

And to the second point, yes swimming for 15 minutes in ice cold water would indeed bring you to a state of hypothermia.  I can't think of a more effective way to do it actually.  Consider that doctors will use ice baths to quickly lower a body's temperature to either counteract a high fever or to slow the body's processes and metabolism.  Hypothermia as a definition is merely the lowering of a person's body temperature to below 35 degrees Celsius (from a normal 37 degrees). It's quite easy to do.

• Like 1

If it makes you feel better the experimental build is much warmer. But you will starve to death and die of dehydration if your not careful between every couple KM you run.

if your breath is frosting the air, you will get cold if you sit stil(especially if damp) even with medium weather gear.

7 years in the infantry. 

Weather effects are currently bugged, except on the almost non-existant Vilayer servers. It will probably be fixed next patch.

Came back after hiatus, seems like its just a dash around madly looking for an axe or freeze to death kinda deal ?