Sign in to follow this  
SentencedToBurn

Do you consider this glitching?

I did try to find a similar topic, my apologies if this has already been raised (I'm sure someone will promptly point this out).

As most of you are probably aware you can infinitely (well I haven't found a limit yet anyway) store items inside other items, inside other items, as long as you understand what can be stored and in what order the items need to be added, etc. My question is - does anyone consider this glitching i.e. my interpretation of glitching is exploiting an existing bug to gain an unfair advantage. There is ofcourse a downside to this method as it takes forever to find anything as well as risking server restarts and zombie attacks while you have all your gear laid out on the ground.

I do like to run around and feed the hungry and I often come across groups of bambis. Carrying enough burlap sacks, ropes and other bambi gear to help say 2 people is not too difficult but anymore and becomes problematic. So I've been collecting 6 pocket pants, jackets, yellow containers (although that is a legitimate storage item) and nesting them which allows me to carry shitloads of gear. Then when it's time to perform my humanitarian duties I just drop the "top level item" and extract all items that are stored inside.

Ofcourse other players with hoarding tendencies can use this to store insane amounts of whatever they want, jackets, vests and pants all take up less space when stored. I'm sure that the glitch of being able to add items to an empty piece of clothing which is already in your backpack (or anywhere else) will be fixed but until then - what are all your thoughts on this moral dilemma? Is this a shameful act and anyone that does this is a glitching asshole, or would this be considered as one of the perks of this still being an Alpha?

For those that still don't know what I'm talking about, here is a quick video I've just uploaded. Although in reality you only do this with pants and jackets as the containers are pretty hard to come by.

***************REMOVED***************

I wouldn't worry about it they'll fix it sooner or later so I guess enjoy it while you can. but now I know why all the barracks are empty lol.

• Like 2

Its certainly is exploiting a bug, sure it will get fixed sooner or later but i have to ask to you suffer really bad desync( or do the people around you) becuase one of the biggest causes of desync is the enormous amount of gear checks the server throws at our character seeing we still have item has it been damaged etc etc. With your inception style loot collection its far more likely to get blocked with to many gear checks rendering pulling weapons etc near impossible.

But hey if you dont mind exploiting ( and you dont need to ask if its is exploiting you know it is the fact you asked means you know it is your just hoping for some validation.

• Like 1

No I don't get anymore desync when I do it compare to when I don't. Perhaps I just haven't got to the point where it makes any difference. And I appreciate your view on this.

I don't see a problem with it. It seems more or less ubiquitous, and you still have to go through the effort of getting the loot. I had a mule before the wipe with loads of drum mags, O- blood, spare clothing, extra weapons, and all kinds of other crap on it. To me it just seems like a temporary storage measure until we can get bases or persistency gets sorted out better and we can something more permanent and intentional. It facilitates group play and makes a hell of a prize if you manage to kill it. We killed a bandit on an op once who had a bunch of seeded mountain bags and came out with a pile of grenades and like 8 tac vests. In like July. It was pretty cool. So yeah, I think it's fine. For you, for the guy who kills you, for your friends, for bambis, for everyone.

I have found, though, that if you go too deep, it can get a little messy. I had like 25 mountain bags inside of one another at one point and that caused me some nasty lag when I tried to empty them so I slimmed down. I recommend seeding high caps instead.

Edited by albinoclock

Until they actually make a sensible, real-to-life inventory system, I am all for ANY exploits that expand inventory space.

In real life, mission critical items like matches, knives, do not take up as much or even twice as much inventory space as beans

I've done the experiment to see how much fits in a child briefcase. And in my experiment, the contents corresponded to a DayZ mountain backpack. Does anybody know how much gear fits into one of those mountain backpacks???????????????

Obviously, I didn't pack the bag only with soda-cans, but a mix of different items you would carry on the trail, including a spare pistol and AK-magazines. Fact is, even an AK mag doesn't take up more volume than a can of beans since it is flat, but long.

So, no, I don't consider it glitching, I consider it the only way to compensate a ludicrous inventory system.

Until they actually make a sensible, real-to-life inventory system, I am all for ANY exploits that expand inventory space.

In real life, mission critical items like matches, knives, do not take up as much or even twice as much inventory space as beans

I've done the experiment to see how much fits in a child briefcase. And in my experiment, the contents corresponded to a DayZ mountain backpack. Does anybody know how much gear fits into one of those mountain backpacks???????????????

Obviously, I didn't pack the bag only with soda-cans, but a mix of different items you would carry on the trail, including a spare pistol and AK-magazines. Fact is, even an AK mag doesn't take up more volume than a can of beans since it is flat, but long.

So, no, I don't consider it glitching, I consider it the only way to compensate a ludicrous inventory system.

Hey while I appreciate your input and I am somewhat relieved that more people dont consider this glitching - it was not my intention to start bagging the game. I do understand this is an Alpha and I accept that all sorts of bugs and glitches are part of the process.

If you have to ask, "Is this glitching?", it's glitching. Don't do it. I don't do it, my clan doesn't do it, and I know many other respectable DayZ clans that follow the same rules.

• Like 4

I have killed few people that had crazy inventorysetups. For me personally it is absolute maximum to have like protector case and medbag. Otherwise it is too slow to take things out in combat. I always prefer to inventorymanagement as much as I can and I always reload my gun before I go anywhere. It is like phobia. I fear that when I am in combat, I am out of bullets.

It's an exploit of an unintended game feature. The kind of thing that is against many game EULAs.  

In doing this you are gaining an advantage over players who play the game as is intended by being able to carry more items so yes, it's an exploit.

let them store items in an item and in an item you relize how much of a pain in the ass it is to go through it all to find the item you need lol.

It is a flaw with the inventory system. However it is being worked on as the ability to do it has been modified by the developers already.

Doing this with persistent items, not on your person, will delete those items on server restart.

Early-versions of this, ala, backpack-inception, caused the servers to crash because of the amount of loot players are carrying.

It is most certainly exploiting, but I think the advantage gained from it is neglible. You should be able to carry all the stuff you need for survival and even combat the normal way, if you need more space then it is because you are carrying too much useless junk you are never going to need (8 drum mags and 6 tac vests? who is ever going to need all that?).

Posting Exploits on the Official Forums will earn you a ban on these Forums.

DO NOT POST EXPLOITS

• Like 1