SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

Any idea on what they added? 

i hate this trend to not say what they added.

HOW DO I KNOW WHAT I HAVE TO TEST

you do not need to know what you have to test, as soon as you join experimental, you are in testmode.

if you can not play next branch without knowing what new was added, please only joining stable, there you get informed about changes in newer branches.

you do not need to know what you have to test, as soon as you join experimental, you are in testmode.

if you can not play next branch without knowing what new was added, please only joining stable, there you get informed about changes in newer branches.

oooh sure, i will totally know if there are some problems with dunno lets say "pissing system" if i dont know it even exist right?

Hey.. if you hungry enough you will eat it.. in fact.. you will be surprise the stuff you will eat if you desperate...even a cockroach will look incredible tasty if you starving...  

Well I did as i said. ill upload the video. Spawned in an empty server have survived. Now have a gun and only need an ax for 100% self sufficiency. No internet, random server that was devoid of loot. No friends or outside tools.

You need to check your attitude by the way. There is no reason for you to be as belligerently nasty as you seem to be.

Well I did as i said. ill upload the video. Spawned in an empty server have survived. Now have a gun and only need an ax for 100% self sufficiency. No internet, random server that was devoid of loot. No friends or outside tools.

You need to check your attitude by the way. There is no reason for you to be as belligerently nasty as you seem to be.

Dude.. you are the one with "Superiority Complex". Me like a lot of other people can't even find a pair of trainers.. never mind a nice axe. I literately went in every single possible direction yesterday, tried every single trick in the book.. and died of starvation every single time... didn't even found a hat... 

Edited by Cpanther

Can we please just all agree to disagree ? :) ? There are cases of all people that judo , panther , and ripley are talking about(elitist who can't get enough of the game regardless of the state , and the other players who don't want to play because of the rarity of loot issues) ,.. Concerning the "elitist" mindset , I have it too , only because of the fact that I don't get too frustrated when I die of starvation or lack of loot which enables me to hit that respawn button and keep trying to survive , even though I usually die on this branch 4/9 times when I tried the first day it came out , but it improved somewhat to 2/9 (which usually I keep characters alive for weeks but hey it's an apocalypse after all :0 )..

To all those that are truly having a hard time : forget about experimental for now as there are literally no new things except some new map additions (pobeda dam is disappointing anyway I thought it was gonna be much bigger) , because as we all know the calorie and temperature system are a huge work in progress .

Some like Cpanther said are getting incredibly lucky and are gearing up like they used to.. Now there are others who spawn in and die over and over and over again but end up surviving with no luck involved and I can tell you that's true because me and my real life friend played last night for five hours , he could not stay alive for the life of him , when I was having the time of my life just above Chernogorsk armed to the teeth with a longhorn and plenty of food :) ... Now sprinting ; if you sprint ,,,, STOP ! I heard about the deadly sprint curse and decided to walk / half jog from Cherno up to berezino , I wasn't hydrated or energized and had only a shovel to dig up worms and a couple cans of tac bacon but I made it to my friend in berezino without dying of starvation or even reaching the starving status , although my friend unfortunately died as I got there ..

Long story short some people are hanging around the spawn cities and dying yes. But there are "elitists"(people who don't agree that experimental is impossible) who are also dying of these problems , respawning and seeming to have an easier time , it maybe luck it maybe tactics I think it's a mix of both as the loot system and respawning system is a little borked but it's getting much closer to an apocalypse feel , but the way the loot is , just like a real apocalypse would be, some get lucky and some use their skills to survive if they have the opportunity based on where they are in chernarus and there are others that have a mix of the two skills and luck .

So let's chalk this up to we all know that they need to and are redesigning loot spawns because they seem too low now when they were too high before , so this is experimental at its finest we just need to stick through it guys . Stable is very fun still though if you guys are hating exp !

• Like 1

Can we please just all agree to disagree ? :) ? There are cases of all people that judo , panther , and ripley are talking about(elitist who can't get enough of the game regardless of the state , and the other players who don't want to play because of the rarity of loot issues) ,.. Concerning the "elitist" mindset , I have it too , only because of the fact that I don't get too frustrated when I die of starvation or lack of loot which enables me to hit that respawn button and keep trying to survive , even though I usually die on this branch 4/9 times when I tried the first day it came out , but it improved somewhat to 2/9 (which usually I keep characters alive for weeks but hey it's an apocalypse after all :0 )..

To all those that are truly having a hard time : forget about experimental for now as there are literally no new things except some new map additions (pobeda dam is disappointing anyway I thought it was gonna be much bigger) , because as we all know the calorie and temperature system are a huge work in progress .

Some like Cpanther said are getting incredibly lucky and are gearing up like they used to.. Now there are others who spawn in and die over and over and over again but end up surviving with no luck involved and I can tell you that's true because me and my real life friend played last night for five hours , he could not stay alive for the life of him , when I was having the time of my life just above Chernogorsk armed to the teeth with a longhorn and plenty of food :) ... Now sprinting ; if you sprint ,,,, STOP ! I heard about the deadly sprint curse and decided to walk / half jog from Cherno up to berezino , I wasn't hydrated or energized and had only a shovel to dig up worms and a couple cans of tac bacon but I made it to my friend in berezino without dying of starvation or even reaching the starving status , although my friend unfortunately died as I got there ..

Long story short some people are hanging around the spawn cities and dying yes. But there are "elitists"(people who don't agree that experimental is impossible) who are also dying of these problems , respawning and seeming to have an easier time , it maybe luck it maybe tactics I think it's a mix of both as the loot system and respawning system is a little borked but it's getting much closer to an apocalypse feel , but the way the loot is , just like a real apocalypse would be, some get lucky and some use their skills to survive if they have the opportunity based on where they are in chernarus and there are others that have a mix of the two skills and luck .

So let's chalk this up to we all know that they need to and are redesigning loot spawns because they seem too low now when they were too high before , so this is experimental at its finest we just need to stick through it guys . Stable is very fun still though if you guys are hating exp !

The problem isn't that is easier for some people and harder for others.....the problem is that the calories burning is disproportional, and doesn't takes into account all the spawn areas and distances needed to travel to find loot. Some areas are just simply unreachable right now... and you need to spawn in the "right" place to survive. Isn't a matter of you being better than me at the game.. is a matter of "you" being in the right place at the right time.

Edited by Cpanther

Hey.. i know is "Experimental" and they are "Experimenting", but if no one is playing in the servers is nothing to experiment with..never mid people "testing" things if we all dying before we can even find that "things" to test...The only thing i "tested" in experimental is how fast i can die.

Edited by Cpanther

Hey.. i know is "Experimental" and they are "Experimenting", but if no one is playing in the servers is nothing to experiment with..never mid people "testing" things if we all dying before we can even find that "things" to test...The only thing i "tested" in experimental is how fast i can die.

Ha, that's a useful test, too.

Ha, that's a useful test, too.

Well... jump in the water, take all you clothing off, and keep running around in circles like an idiot..you will die very fast. Mission accomplished. :P

Well, there are some problems with 0.50.

First and foremost, loot. I'm beginning to suspect they've NOT lowered loot spawn rate - I've been in apparently not crowded areas (Rify, Olsha, outskirts of Polana) and I literally was stumbling in weapons, clothes, canned food and such. Especially on Rify. It seems that we short-lived noobspawns die faster than loot can reappear inside and around spawn areas...and that means more quick deaths, and more people spawning, and even less loot. In some spawn areas I've foun 7/8 batteries and torches in a row, and was greeted by two people freshly spawned themselves...but none of us could find ANYTHING inside and around the building in our zone. Only torches and batteries. I humbly suggest a very thorough revamp of 0.50 before sending it to stable.

Second: infected. I really like their new navigation/movement system, they're not hitting you from 3/4 meters anymore...and you can actually circle them effectively - they seems to be without movement/hit detection glitches. Sadly, they still ignore closed doors sistematically...while in 0.49 I was able to trap infected inside buildings (especially to avoid being annoyed by their silly respawn system) or close me inside, they AGAIN walk through doors and/or walls. AGAIN. It's one of the more annoying problem of this alpha, IMHO. Oh, a suggestion for Bohemia: try not respawning on positioning infected inside spawn areas...it's not really funny running around chased by zombies immediately after spawning. Put them at the outskirts of the spawn zones.

Third: hunger/thirst system. I'm sorry, but I seriously can't believe we're testing this. I'm all for an harsher survival system in this game, but my current character ate two canned tunas, one can of spaghetti, two apples, one banana on Rify and in the time I took walking down the stairs and in the forest towards the old site were the downed helicopter was...red warning, I'm starving. Ok, I understand the need to try different energy consumption systems, but this look unbalanced even on paper. Do we really have to write it down on the dayz issues report?

On a more general note, I welcome an harsher struggle to survive...sadly there are too interlocking features that simply make you die too fast: energy consumption is way off, and that means you need more food. But hungher/thirst kills you fast, exactly like bugged infected and inclement weather. That means a lot of people respawning quickly without finding much loot and that brings even more deaths and even less loot. I can see the direction the developers are trying to take, and I like it...but 0.50 needs a serious revamp before stable.

• Like 5

Any idea on what they added? 

i hate this trend to not say what they added.

HOW DO I KNOW WHAT I HAVE TO TEST

Sorry about all the senseless dribble above, as far as i am aware they have not added anything in the way of new guns and items etc.. but they are testing a new thirst and hunger system and have made some updates to the map.

there you go, you made your part! you TESTED something , cuz thats experimental all about :)

The problem isn't that is easier for some people and harder for others.....the problem is that the calories burning is disproportional, and doesn't takes into account all the spawn areas and distances needed to travel to find loot. Some areas are just simply unreachable right now... and you need to spawn in the "right" place to survive. Isn't a matter of you being better than me at the game.. is a matter of "you" being in the right place at the right time.

You're not getting my point or anyone else's , we all know that the calorie burning is off so please just get used to it there's no use in repeating the same thing everyone already knows ? Noones saying we're better than you , in fact my post stated that there's a little bit of luck involved but still very much knowledge oriented ( and don't take that as me saying you don't know what to do) if you don't know that you shouldn't sprint all the time then you will die when you try to sprint for an Unlooted town hungry , like I said in my post if you had bothered to read it , walking makes it so you don't die as fast of starvation or so it seems, so walk to the next town and check it thoroughly this is how I survived on multiple characters .

So armed with that knowledge and the knowledge of going inland to have a better chance at an Unlooted town you will be fine , and I'm not saying this as a "you Will never die from starvation" tactic because of course there are exceptions, but it's not all about luck either like you say because I have survived for 4+ Hours straight on 3 different characters (all with crappy spawn points in looted beach towns) since we've started this experimental before dying to the usual zombies / leg pain you are dead glitches and at least 4 other characters who survived for more than 2 hours before dying to bandits .

I've died 6 times now from starvation and I'm not saying that's awesome but I am saying that I understand what's happening so I can deal with it better (less sprinting don't bother with berries or apple trees , cooking worms to survive combined with eating fish as it seems easy to get all components for fishing rods except for axes ).

If you can't get used to it (which many have done without server hopping by the way) then just stop playing experimental for a bit , and please stop twisting our words, nobody is calling you inferior simply because you keep dying but you need to open your eyes and realize although some are dying of starvation every time they spawn not all are and that it's not impossible to survive .

Edit: besides all that, spawn points will be tweaked again multiple times I'm sure so let's not get too angry about the lack of loot , it's all to test to see what's the most balanced .. If there's 3,000 starvation deaths instead of the usual 200 then they know that they have to put the amount of loot somewhere in between the two values . Hence experimental !

Edited by Grapefruit kush

there you go, you made your part! you TESTED something , cuz thats experimental all about :)

Fine....next i going to test how many times i can walk around a zombie going backwards.. 

A couple of things...

1) I think they need to drop this notion that food is going to be hard to come by. They are treating this like it's a post nuclear fallout where food is hard to come by because everything has been contaminated. What we are really looking at a scenario where we should now have more food to go around as there are far less people to feed. I guess I could be wrong, but the world doesn't look or feel like we are coming into this years after the outbreak. If so, I would have some issues with who we are and how the F did we get there? We're either survivors regaining consciousness after a few days, thus waking up hungry or we are magical beings that appear out of nowhere years later, I don't know, pick one. Bottom line, food should not be hard to find, it should be rather abundant and then start to dwindle as the months roll by. Then there is the case of groups, bandits, people who make it there mission to horde and lock down food supply for their own people. So in that case, it would be the players themselves that are deciding to make food scarce for the general public. To me, that would be DayZ.

2) It takes a lot longer to starve to death than this game tends to depict. I think the rate we have to eat in this game has always been ridiculous, even when it's easy it's still too frequent. Thirst has always seemed good to me, and will get much harder to control when water contamination becomes a thing. I think that's going to bring the level of difficulty they're are currently trying to emulate in a believable manner. Because right now, starving to death in under an hour of actual gameplay/life time when you have actually had at least a fair amount of food, is just plain immersion breaking. I would like to see them instead take starving into a direction where it affects our energy levels far before it starts to kill us. So that when we are hungry we can only jog, when starving we can only walk and starving to death we get an even slower walk(new animation set) that shows that we are really weak and that's when we should start the blood drain and be on our way to our graves. Controlling our rate of movement in this manner I think would make starving feel more authentic to me while ramping up difficulty as it starts to take you longer and longer to get around. 

Edited by JubeiDOK
  • Like 1

Guys, guys!  Remember - you don't need to know what is new - it's nice to know if there are new guns, or what particular system twitch is going to kill you, of course - but you are not experimenting.  You aren't there to check out the new toys, the new loot.  Yeah, they look through the bugtracker occasionally, for form's sake, but they know what is happening.

You are the experiment.  They are experimenting on us.  That's all!  :D

I do wonder about balance, though.  Hicks has said that it is not a priority to provide us with an enjoyable gameplay experience, I'm cool with that.  But the current setup seems to be forcing us to walk instead of run, and vehicles are not in game yet.  It is a long slow walk from one town to the next; a lot of people are going to find this breaks the immersion.  If you think about "getting to the next town", you are in the right place; if you start thinking "this game is boring" at any point, your immersion is gone, and you aren't likely to continue - and some folks will just start server hopping, until the devs put an end to that.

Z

Fine....next i going to test how many times i can walk around a zombie going backwards.. 

i got energized , hidrated , not yet healty character with 2 guns with ammo , but i cant stand for the movement bug , i mean ; when you try to kill a zombie your character just decide to walk straigh to him , then you get hit y.y.  im playing 0.49 until they fix that . :v

You're not getting my point or anyone else's , we all know that the calorie burning is off so please just get used to it there's no use in repeating the same thing everyone already knows ? Noones saying we're better than you , in fact my post stated that there's a little bit of luck involved but still very much knowledge oriented ( and don't take that as me saying you don't know what to do) if you don't know that you shouldn't sprint all the time then you will die when you try to sprint for an Unlooted town hungry , like I said in my post if you had bothered to read it , walking makes it so you don't die as fast of starvation or so it seems, so walk to the next town and check it thoroughly this is how I survived on multiple characters .

So armed with that knowledge and the knowledge of going inland to have a better chance at an Unlooted town you will be fine , and I'm not saying this as a "you Will never die from starvation" tactic because of course there are exceptions, but it's not all about luck either like you say because I have survived for 4+ Hours straight on 3 different characters (all with crappy spawn points in looted beach towns) since we've started this experimental before dying to the usual zombies / leg pain you are dead glitches and at least 4 other characters who survived for more than 2 hours before dying to bandits .

I've died 6 times now from starvation and I'm not saying that's awesome but I am saying that I understand what's happening so I can deal with it better (less sprinting don't bother with berries or apple trees , cooking worms to survive combined with eating fish as it seems easy to get all components for fishing rods except for axes ).

If you can't get used to it (which many have done without server hopping by the way) then just stop playing experimental for a bit , and please stop twisting our words, nobody is calling you inferior simply because you keep dying but you need to open your eyes and realize although some are dying of starvation every time they spawn not all are and that it's not impossible to survive .

Edit: besides all that, spawn points will be tweaked again multiple times I'm sure so let's not get too angry about the lack of loot , it's all to test to see what's the most balanced .. If there's 3,000 starvation deaths instead of the usual 200 then they know that they have to put the amount of loot somewhere in between the two values . Hence experimental !

I understand all that.. in fact i always been one of those complaining that survival should be harder, but also realistic ....the calories burning is exactly one of the things i wanted to see in the game, but in realistic proportions...isn't exactly lots of options to live off the land right now.. except for apples and berries, everything else you need "something" to survive...if you can't find something as simple as a knife.. you dead...

Edited by Cpanther

I played for 3 hours this morning, died 3 times. So far I'm enjoying the heck out of this. Everyone I met was friendly, one guy gave me food.

I've also never gotten the movement bug, but got a freelook bug once, double tapped alt and fixed it.

I dislike the new running animation, I hope they tweak it a bit.

I REALLY like the hunger/thirst rate, died twice of starvation looking for food but the one time I spawned in svet one of the little food stands was overspawned with food, so I loaded up, ran to Chernaya Polana, found another like it. Had enough that starvation was no longer an issue. Decided to go to Novo but the zeds made me bleed from desync so many times while locking them into houses that I ran out of bandages and bled out. Sucks because besides guns/ammo I nearly had my full kit: all black clothing, protective case, splint, can opener, canteen, compass, matches, book, pen, lamp w/ gas, full map, sewing kit, fishing hook, keys, machete and improvised pack. Hope someone on Northeast 5 found my corpse in Novo and used some of that stuff.

Actually I feel fine thanks. The urge to make someone feels stupid is kinda akward though. Maybe you should think about that.

Also @ a_ruttle please refer to us as superior human beings as CPanther mentioned.

Its funny how after every experimental people start bitching and crying I CANNOT SURVIVE THIS SUCKS I WANNA COD NOT SURVIVAL

I always wondered why you play this game it clearly states its a survival game.

How would this be a survival game if surviving was guaranteed?

I haven't complained once, I went to file a report then realised it had been done many times so left it, reinstalled stable and got back to playing.

I get where you're coming from, all the people who play exp to get early, early access to new content [usually weapons etc] then whinge when the quite clearly labelled unstable branch is unstable. They enrage me.

Edited by a_ruttle

So zombies are still occasional clipping into buildings under certain conditions. I've personally noticed most of the time it's around the window areas of buildings. Also they are clipping through floors as well which is truly disappointing to me( I have pics on my steam profile). I'm glad most of the clipping issues have been solved, but they still exists. Enoying the more survival aspect people are taking rather than pvp-ing. I've ran into the most friendly people on this current .50 build then any other.

Edited by Scarcifer

Stable is very fun still though if you guys are hating exp !

Best advice so far. If Experimental frustrates you, switch to Stable. It's really that simple :p

I can see the direction the developers are trying to take, and I like it...but 0.50 needs a serious revamp before stable.

My thoughts exactly.

You are the experiment.  They are experimenting on us.  That's all!  :D

Yesss. This. Experimental is its namesake in every sense and people forget that too easily. It's for the devs to experiment, not the players.

Best advice so far. If Experimental frustrates you, switch to Stable. It's really that simple :P

My thoughts exactly.

Yesss. This. Experimental is its namesake in every sense and people forget that too easily. It's for the devs to experiment, not the players.

Yeah.. but if they put this Experimental build in Stable without balancing things a bit first.... well... i hope they have a very deep bunker to hide into...because is going to be riots in the streets, WW3...the end of the world..