SmashT

Experimental Branch: 0.50 Discussion

The maps need a total remodeling so players who knows the map get mad

It'll take me a maximum of 5 minutes to learn it 100% off by heart all over again, also are you aware how much effort remaking the map would be, I'm all for a massive westward expansion into the rest of chernarus.

• Like 2

It'll take me a maximum of 5 minutes to learn it 100% off by heart all over again, also are you aware how much effort remaking the map would be, I'm all for a massive westward expansion into the rest of chernarus.

There not expanding the map but are toying with the idea of a new island id heard.

Edit: also I once saw a #cough# breaking point #cough# video using a map of chernarus in which the sea was a lake and had land at the other side,

Edited by Luc1fer

Thanks for clearing up that gas station question :-) So this is a bug then, albeit a somewhat useful one LOL

And I would love a new island! Gawd, I hope soooo much we get cute boats and can paddle around and take fishing trips and... *sigh* I'm dreaming way too much, I know...

I wonder if they ever make debug island an official part of the map and do some stuff with it, tiny as it is, unless you have a boat it should be one of the safest places of the map :D

• Like 2

What are these "weekend special" servers and why are they only third person !? =O !

What in the blinking Bunny is up with those randomly exploding gas stations???

Oh boy...

The one in Berezino got caught in a loop once when I was playing about two months ago. What resulted was a huge firefight between three groups of people (myself and a buddy being one of the three groups), all of us basically startling each other and panicking :p I respawned at Rify twice and picked my stuff back up immediately both times! Same thing happened to at least one of the other people, too... that went on for quite a while.

I wonder if they ever make debug island an official part of the map and do some stuff with it, tiny as it is, unless you have a boat it should be one of the safest places of the map :D

I'm kind of doubting it, sadly. I don't think a trip there is ever going to be possible again either unless they implement boats. My journey there back in early July would be impossible now for several reasons:

1. Being wet actually affects you now.

2. Temperature actually affects you now.

3. You consume resources more quickly now.

For those reasons, you would die of hypothermia before reaching your destination, let alone return. If that didn't get you, you'd certainly die of starvation as well. You cannot eat while swimming, so the entirety of your energy for the trip has to be consumed prior to departure, and I don't think it lasts long enough anymore (~1 hour, 50 minutes of travel each way). Hydration wouldn't be an issue, but it would still be difficult, just as it was on my trip 3.5 months ago.

Man that was a fun trip. I wish I could do it again! :)

What are these "weekend special" servers and why are they only third person !? =O !

I'd like to know, too!

Does anybody know how long it takes for things to respawn? Just looted the whole of Cherno + surrounding suburbs + Nadezhdino without finding a single can of food. All I was finding was gas lamps, canisters, chem-lights and other junk people often leave. It was like a 20 man clan just rolled through the town with mountain backpacks and took absolutely everything of worth. Or more likely people have been looting the town since the server went up and nothing has respawned. I guess it's related to persistence.

I hope the devs solve the persistence/loot spawn issues before .50 hits stable.

Edited by Count_Blackula

Does anybody know how long it takes for things to respawn? Just looted the whole of Cherno + surrounding suburbs + Nadezhdino without finding a single can of food. All I was finding was gas lamps, canisters, chem-lights and other junk people often leave. It was like a 20 man clan just rolled through the town with mountain backpacks and took absolutely everything of worth. Or more likely people have been looting the town since the server went up and nothing has respawned. I guess it's related to persistence.

I hope the devs solve the persistence/loot spawn issues before .50 hits stable.

Actually, it can happen instantly. I was in a house earlier, picked up and ate a can of spaghetti and a bag of rice spawned right in front of me. Were you foraging? If not it seems like you would have starved to death long before you so thoroughly looted the area.

It seems like some servers have gone down and not are coming back.

While some servers seem to be in a reset loop.

After playing this update with hours of enjoyable and mostly uninterrupted play, I am seeing server DC's at near 15 minute intervals, similar to a glitch I have seen earlier.

Also, I don't think I will ever get tired of watching zombies chase cows.

• Like 2

Have been playing a bit in the morning. Ingame is cold...really cold. 

I like this. Now I have to stop every 15-20 minutes and make a fire, (fire is easy, needs only paper/rag and kindlings) sit down to eat/drink /rearrange my stuff whilst warming up.

I can imagine doing this with a friend and it would be awesome. A totally different game from what anyone ever seen. I made fires in small tree"islands" out in the field to have owerwatch. If you see a fire go there and ask to get warm, I guess it will be ok.

Fire doesn´t seem to consume sticks or firewood.

Did anyone check if gaslamp/stowe can be used for warming up?

So one needs to stock up before moving in to next village, and before moving in, drink, eat and warm oneself up. Really nice as it is

Is it a general occurrence or is it just got something to do with my rig that the 0.50 version of the game crashes a lot? Sometimes I can't even progress 5min into the game without having my game crashed?
 Your experience people?

• Like 1

Can't read all the previous posts (will do it later) but here are my thoughts:

Three attempts to survive, 1st person server with like 6 people online. First spawn - Berezino. Whole bunch of different loot, almost no food or drinks. Ate 2 cans of beans, still hungry. I've found apple tree and starved to death while desperately trying to find those apples. This mechanic needs to be seriously reworked. I've also found pump action shotty, not sure if it's new.

Second attempt. Kamyshovo, no food, no drinks. Managed to get to Solnichny before starving. 

Leasson learned: do not sprint! Ever! It will kill you faster than a horde of zeds. Your calories burn at crazy rates and you die of starvation.

Third attempt. Novodmitrovsk. Found a can of beans in first building, opened with matchete - form hungry to healthy. Wut?

Then I moved to scavenge the city. Loot spawning is completly fcked up, again. Hats, boots, chemlights and similar useless items are 90% of what I found. Drinks and food almost non-existant. This time I didn't sprint and managed to survive on one can of beans untill server restarted. Then I came here.

I've started making screenshots, so here's some stuff. 

Loot spawns.

Books everywhere:

hHwdB9Q.jpg

Working as intended:

ttMGav1.jpg

Got plenty more of these. 3 Longhorns in one spot etc. Here's the stuff everyone wants to see:

CZZkspz.jpg

DsicNgl.jpg

FW4ImzQ.jpg

Forgot to put it on :/

Saving the best for last. In the middle of a fcking road:

Q0E9Jk0.jpg

r9Hc5ZA.jpg

kLeiocs.jpg

It doesn't work though or I just could figure out how to make it work.

One more thing. When you spawn you will start getting cold. I've managed to find one piece of clothing for my upper body (that warm jacket that doesn't fix anything) and two rangefinders. Yeah. I was still shaking in my jacket.

Basically get ready to respawn a lot since some of the spawns are a death sentence. Get used to freezing, starving a lot before you manage to find anything new and test it. I guess the real test is how long can a player play experimental before giving up.

It's something to be expected on experimental, yes. Has nothing to do with your computer.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/210847-what-is-experimental/

Ok. I just wanna figure out whether and how people manage to stay in the game any feasible period of time after all. Just now I logged in again and the game crashed just after 30 seconds. Maybe that's got something to do with my settings? Any ways to minimize the crashes?

Ok. I just wanna figure out whether and how people manage to stay in the game any feasible period of time after all. Just now I logged in again and the game crashed just after 30 seconds. Maybe that's got something to do with my settings? Any ways to minimize the crashes?

i tried it yesterday but the server had an extreme amount of loot in sheds, houses so i disconnected again, my guess is something broke after a few days working, thats why not all server show up / you get wait for host and then disconnected.

anyone knows whats up with the weekend special? has a newer version but there are apparently player tough swe1 is full and swe2 is empty weird

Edited by Rhygar666

Actually, it can happen instantly. I was in a house earlier, picked up and ate a can of spaghetti and a bag of rice spawned right in front of me. Were you foraging? If not it seems like you would have starved to death long before you so thoroughly looted the area.

It may very well happen instantly but from my experience every time I've looted a large town on the coast there has been nothing of worth.

Great news about the fires and not needing an axe any more, would be nice to see the ability to burn baseball bats and maybe use the handles of the wooden implements as fuel.

Managed quite a while on the new build and noticed as time goes on there is less and less useful loot about, though there is clearly respawning of loot it is not that useful. If I wanted to start a DayZ library it would be great, as books are by far the most common item about, followed by hats and boots.

I have yet to find any military barracks or jail house that has re-spawned any military loot, though the barracks do seem to be spawning boots and taloon backpacks.

I have noticed that if carrying two primary weapons then on a fairly regular basis when you drop the one in your hands to do something then that weapon just disappears, whether in a building or stood outside, I have kept the MP133 on my back and so far have lost 3 repeaters, an SKS and a mosin from my hands after putting it down to eat / use an axe to kill a Z. 

Overall though loving the update, definitely going in the right direction.

Edited by Durzos

Basically get ready to respawn a lot since some of the spawns are a death sentence. Get used to freezing, starving a lot before you manage to find anything new and test it. I guess the real test is how long can a player play experimental before giving up.

So in these last screenshots, you've won. You have everything (and more) that you need to survive and thrive. Find a shovel or hoe and you now have unlimited food as that waterbottle in your inventory can be made into a fishtrap that requires worms, you have a knife (machete) to prepare them and matches to make fires. Cold is no longer going to kill you and the parka while it's not keeping you warm on its own is increasing the length of time it takes you to get cold, even when you do get cold, again you can make all the fires you want as you don't need logs only sticks now to create fire. Find a little stone at the beach or on rocky ground and you can keep your machete in damaged state perpetually. You can now gather yourself up and get in good enough condition to go inland and seek other priorities if you want.

Despite saying you weren't finding anything useful, it looks like you in fact found lots of useful things to put you in a great position.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 4

Great news about the fires and not needing an axe any more, would be nice to see the ability to burn baseball bats and maybe use the handles of the wooden implements as fuel.

Managed quite a while on the new build and noticed as time goes on there is less and less useful loot about, though there is clearly respawning of loot it is not that useful. If I wanted to start a DayZ library it would be great, as books are by far the most common item about, followed by hats and boots.

I have yet to find any military barracks or jail house that has re-spawned any military loot, though the barracks do seem to be spawning boots and taloon backpacks.

I have noticed that if carrying two primary weapons then on a fairly regular basis when you drop the one in your hands to do something then that weapon just disappears, whether in a building or stood outside, I have kept the MP133 on my back and so far have lost 3 repeaters, an SKS and a mosin from my hands after putting it down to eat / use an axe to kill a Z. 

Overall though loving the update, definitely going in the right direction.

That's the reason I gave up on carrying two primaries.

I'm really loving the telescopic baton, but if you take it in your hands when it's closed en then open it, 4/5 times you drop it. Which is a shame because it really rocks and, when closed, it takes only 1 slot in your inventory.

So in these last screenshots, you've won. You have everything (and more) that you need to survive and thrive. Find a shovel or hoe and you now have unlimited food as that waterbottle in your inventory can be made into a fishtrap that requires worms, you have a knife (machete) to prepare them and matches to make fires. Cold is no longer going to kill you and the parka while it's not keeping you warm on its own is increasing the length of time it takes you to get cold, even when you do get cold, again you can make all the fires you want as you don't need logs only sticks now to create fire. Find a little stone at the beach or on rocky ground and you can keep your machete in damaged state perpetually. You can now gather yourself up and get in good enough condition to go inland and seek other priorities if you want.

Despite saying you weren't finding anything useful, it looks like you in fact found lots of useful things to put you in a great position.

Spawning in a big city eventually (1h of looting) pays off.

I'm curious about the fishtrap. How Do I make and use it?

Anyway, that character ened up dead shortly after (don't ask). I spawned again and really struggled to survive first minutes. Hungry, cold, thirsty, lack of loot. Eventually I managed to get out alive from the first village (thank god sodas have some calories, they saved me from starving). When I entered some other villages, further away from spawn points the loot was great. I'm loaded with food and drinks + other usefull items.

It seems like the biggest challenge is to get away from starting points in one piece and find places that weren't looted before. I guess the loot spawning doesn't work very well...

Can't read all the previous posts (will do it later) but here are my thoughts:

Three attempts to survive, 1st person server with like 6 people online. First spawn - Berezino. Whole bunch of different loot, almost no food or drinks. Ate 2 cans of beans, still hungry. I've found apple tree and starved to death while desperately trying to find those apples. This mechanic needs to be seriously reworked. I've also found pump action shotty, not sure if it's new.

Second attempt. Kamyshovo, no food, no drinks. Managed to get to Solnichny before starving.

Leasson learned: do not sprint! Ever! It will kill you faster than a horde of zeds. Your calories burn at crazy rates and you die of starvation.

Third attempt. Novodmitrovsk. Found a can of beans in first building, opened with matchete - form hungry to healthy. Wut?

Then I moved to scavenge the city. Loot spawning is completly fcked up, again. Hats, boots, chemlights and similar useless items are 90% of what I found. Drinks and food almost non-existant. This time I didn't sprint and managed to survive on one can of beans untill server restarted. Then I came here.

I've started making screenshots, so here's some stuff.

Loot spawns.

Books everywhere:

hHwdB9Q.jpg

Working as intended:

ttMGav1.jpg

Got plenty more of these. 3 Longhorns in one spot etc. Here's the stuff everyone wants to see:

CZZkspz.jpg

DsicNgl.jpg

FW4ImzQ.jpg

Forgot to put it on :/

Saving the best for last. In the middle of a fcking road:

Q0E9Jk0.jpg

r9Hc5ZA.jpg

kLeiocs.jpg

It doesn't work though or I just could figure out how to make it work.

One more thing. When you spawn you will start getting cold. I've managed to find one piece of clothing for my upper body (that warm jacket that doesn't fix anything) and two rangefinders. Yeah. I was still shaking in my jacket.

Don't stay on the shore towns ! They seem to respawn nothing but junk items , however if you go inland to severograd say , (which is very close to novodomitrovsk maybe a 15 minute run) you'll find that the loot respawning IS working as intended . My guess is that the loot respawns far away from people and with everyone panicking thinking that you are gonna die in fifteen minutes (because everyone keeps telling each other that on the forums) then they don't bother to leave the coast thinking they "don't have enough time before they die of starvation or hypothermia" but trust me staying where you spawned is a death sentence , just find a sweatshirt and one can of food and water and you'll be good to jog to the next town inland !

I think the problem with no loot is simply this

Spawned loot is very persistent,things ive seen in a morning are still there in the evening>>>@spawn points only food axes etc get looted>>>is random what may then respawn ie could be pliers>>>after x amount of time is masses of pliers and chemstix persisting >>>> preventing new(useful) loot spawning 

either they need too change duration of spawned loots persistence or the mix of loot at spawnpoint's

Also fact so few servers means is probably making the situation worse as higher rate of players freshly spawning than will be case on ave public server

Having said all that, I like that the game is going more towards survival than pure pvp interspersed by a running simulator.Also that it seems too be getting harder.49 is  well kindergartten mode

Edited by GrumpyOldMeeper

There are different problems aswell:

yzxtxwi.jpg

6O9mOyR.jpg

NxdTjZE.jpg

IAYjztK.jpg

Novodmitrovsk, big building (city hall?) just loaded with loot while the rest of the town had mostly junk.

There are different problems aswell:

Novodmitrovsk, big building (city hall?) just loaded with loot while the rest of the town had mostly junk.

i am not a friend of guarateed or balanced loot spread over one town, i am okay with in some towns only one building got loot while others nothing.

so, for me i do not see a problem here, just went over next town.

I just wanna figure out whether and how people manage to stay in the game any feasible period of time after all. Just now I logged in again and the game crashed just after 30 seconds. Maybe that's got something to do with my settings? Any ways to minimize the crashes?

That's the reason I gave up on carrying two primaries.

Personally, I feel carrying two primaries should be a pain in the ass. It would be in real life. Too many people underestimate the value of a good secondary like a Longhorn, and as well underestimate the negative impact on their abilities by having to deal with carrying two at all times.

I just wanna figure out whether and how people manage to stay in the game any feasible period of time after all. Just now I logged in again and the game crashed just after 30 seconds. Maybe that's got something to do with my settings? Any ways to minimize the crashes?

Have you done the standard round of quick-fixes? For example, have you verified your local game cache on Steam?

I'm using the same settings I always have, and I'm not getting any crashes... nor does it crash when I change them. None of my friends have had a single crash, either and it's the same story for them. All of us are just lucky I suppose, but I don't believe settings are the culprit for what it's worth.

Edited by Tatanko