huf757

Was afraid to play since hearing about cold problems but then...

I wanted to see if I would be able to play this weekend during my days off, so I logged on and played for 45 minutes.  Ran from Cherno to Vybor got the usual warnings of being cold.  Searched buildings on the way there for matches just in case.  Never found any.   Switched from rain coat to wool coat and did not realize that it was sprinkling, wool coat became damp instant orange cold warning.  Got rid of wool coat and put on rain coat again went into a town and brought all 3 indicators up to green and cold warning went away.  Sat under a tree for 15 minutes and nothing happened never made a fire or anything I am also not playing on a Vylaer server either just normal dayz server.  So my question is, is the bug just for certain players cause it all seems to work fine for me I would expect if a wool coat I had on became wet I would suffer extreme cold in an environment where the tempertaures seem to be in the 30 to 40's.

I think it's certain players. Last night I was getting cold as my pal was warming up (both of us with very similar gear, my gear was actually superior in fact.) He was joking to me that he suspected I was already infected! I now kind of role play that I am infected and need to avoid rain like the plague and eat/drink twice as much as a non-infected plus sit by fires a whole lot.

I actually like it even though it's obviously bugged.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1

I have full cop uniform and a soviet hat, and my screen is filled with: 

I am warming up

I am cooling down

I am warming up

I am cooling down

Constantly happens. The messages are annoying, but its nice to not worry about how hot/cold I am.

I have full cop uniform and a soviet hat, and my screen is filled with: 

I am warming up

I am cooling down

I am warming up

I am cooling down

Constantly happens. The messages are annoying, but its nice to not worry about how hot/cold I am.

I had these messages spamming at one point also but then I ate and drank to the healthy status and they went away.

Ahhh I have my character sitting in the forest to see what happens and when I checked on him the spamming messages are back lol :lol: But he is not freezing

Edited by huf757

Dear americans, the whole world uses degrees Celsius, please do so too :P

• Like 3

I apologize for my ignorance on the celsius scale.  I am old and I was never taught that scale and have never had a need to learn it. I know I could have googled it so here I will now  -1.1 to 4.4 C :D  :rolleyes:

just on the off chance I decided to verify integrity of cache. it said it was ok and then I joined a server and one of the first messages was "I'm warming up" - so idk any more. Earlier I could only warm up by fires.

Dear Germany, you may have won "YOUR" version of football but I guarantee you that all your players legs and bodies would be mangled trying to play ours.

I got nothing other than that. XD

Keep making them awesome candies.

• Like 1

America adopted the ISO, Celsius and Metric scales decades ago.

They just forgot to tell their population. Go figure.

Last night I sat sniping out in the open at the NWAF for almost 3 hours, in the rain..

Only drank 1 canteen in that time, and ate no food. Raining constantly with Gorka Top, Cargo Bottom. COLD status, and I am shaking almost the entire time.

Afterword, I logged out with COLD still showing in my status along with healthy, energized, and hydrated

So.. Im ignoring it from now on. Useless mechanic once you're beyond a fresh spawn. 

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

The climate temps change around, I was just running on a night server with a buddy and we were warm. We had just left a random campsite someone was camping at near NWAF (Cool guy we met also)

We were fine and then BAM it got real cold so we headed back and huddles around the guys fire before a inevitable server restart.

I think it's certain players. Last night I was getting cold as my pal was warming up (both of us with very similar gear, my gear was actually superior in fact.) He was joking to me that he suspected I was already infected! I now kind of role play that I am infected and need to avoid rain like the plague and eat/drink twice as much as a non-infected plus sit by fires a whole lot.

I actually like it even though it's obviously bugged.

That's kind of disappointing. Wool keeps you insulated even if it's wet. It's highly valued by the military and outdoor enthusests.

• Like 1

That's kind of disappointing. Wool keeps you insulated even if it's wet. It's highly valued by the military and outdoor enthusests.

Not necessarily. http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2012/03/does-wool-keep-you-warm-when-wet.html

However this is just one experiment and isn't exactly a real-world scenario. Being wool it should still take longer to get "wet" or "soaked" though and thus provide better insulation for a longer amount of time.

Also compared to cotton & fleece: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2012/11/cotton-vs-wool-insulation.html

Edited by solodude23

Dear rest of the world, we don't care.

• Like 2

Not necessarily. http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2012/03/does-wool-keep-you-warm-when-wet.html

However this is just one experiment and isn't exactly a real-world scenario. Being wool it should still take longer to get "wet" or "soaked" though and thus provide better insulation for a longer amount of time.

Also compared to cotton & fleece: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2012/11/cotton-vs-wool-insulation.html

To be honest, I was just repeating what I had been taught in SERE training. In my somewhat limited outdoors experience since then I have found wool to be far superior to insulation than most other common fabrics.

That is one guy, doing a limited series of tests in a controlled environment. AKA, next to useless conclusions

IRL, if my wool shirt got wet, I would take it off, wring it out, and put on my spare. Or, more likely, put on my spare over the wet one, so my body heat will dry it off. Wool is still infinitely better than other natural fabrics, and can compete with many synthetics. ( MY preferred fabrics are wool and synthetic fleece. They compliment each other remarkably well)

Anybody who leaves wet clothing on in the wilderness, wool or not, is an idiot and essentially deserves to die.

• Like 1

F for Ferinheit also F for FREEDOM. C for Celsius also C for COMMUNISM!!!! USA! USA! USA! (jk, but conversions suck ass.)

just because it says "you are cooling off" " you are warming up" isnt anything to be alarmed about its just a notification of status change.

you go into shadows you get cold, stand in sunlight get warm. the game is just telling you that.

sure there are times when you're wondering is it broken? is it really that bad? 

the only time u need to worry is when u can see your breath (heat loss) and your "promtly cooling off" or "rapidly cooling off"

make sure your clothes aren't wet. make sure you have shelter if you dont have a raincoat.

if soaked. (yes 3 seconds to soaked lol) just wring or drop your clothing to get dry. use a fire place.

just because these mechanics are changing the way you play the game doesn't mean they are broken or need to be removed.

this is the direction the game is taking get used to it. 

i personally think its awesome

the downside i see is.

now there is tons of clothing/gear people just ignore.

like "tracksuit pants'> who is going to use them now? 

only a naked player. kinda pointless if your in the shadows/cold or wet and you want to put these on. sure carry them around for dress up times but they wont help you survive.

Wearing military clothes and in a sunny server and within 5 minutes of sitting next to a fire, that is outside, my guy had hypothermia.