Sign in to follow this  
SMoss

Status Report - Week of 22 Sept 14

5ffk7Be9oDdEyWMDEJUEHSIKT9CVWY_original.

Over the last week core members of the development team have been focused on investigating, and addressing server and client crash issues introduced with 0.49. These include issues with the processing of persistent objects on server initialization, player rag dolls, and the clean up of trash (expired) objects. In addition, the programming team continued their work on addressing exploits related to rapid player position updates. (Sliding/Teleporting)

As these updates make their way to stable branch we are also working with our game server providers to put the finishing touches on the systems needed to properly support the renting of private shards of the central DayZ hive. As mentioned in previous status reports, this option will continue the initiative to progressively increase the customization options allowed to server operators and communities, while still protecting the core vision of DayZ. This tied with our continued collaboration with these game server partners to analyze and track data related to the optimum software/hardware configuration for DayZ server instances should allow us over the next month to greatly improve the play experience on all DayZ stable branch servers.

Throughout this process we will endeavor to share data and statistics related to this whenever possible in our weekly status reports.

Those experiencing issues with respawning, or spawning into (any) servers should also head over to the official DayZ forums and read the information contained in this post. Anyone still having issues is strongly encouraged to reply to said post, so we can continue investigating the root cause of the issue. - Brian Hicks / Producer

Peter / Lead Designer

"Weather impact on the player character is still being worked on and body temperature is now dependent upon character movement. Drowning characters also received some attention and is now working like you would expect. There is also a new waterproof bag, so anyone who happens to find your soaked dead body will be able to use your dry things. There are two traps ready to be released shortly - snare trap for small game as I already mentioned and one used for catching small fish.  

Apart from that we are refining design for barricading and vehicles. Some nasty bugs which were affecting gameplay were fixed, such as the lack of ability to be in both restrained and unconsciousness state at the same time or endless usage of consumable/food/drink items.  

By the way if you missed live stream of Brian, Chris and I playing DayZ head over to our twitch.tv channel and check it out... see you in Chernarus folks! "

Chris / Lead Artist

"Much of what I wrote about last week is still WIP and there isn't a whole lot of new stuff to talk about right now.  The prison uniform and medical scrubs are almost ready, as well as the first item of woman's clothing - 3/4 length pants.

The art and design teams have agreed on a series of sketches related to the creation of leather craftable clothes so work on the models is underway there. We decided to make a command variant of the V3S and work continues on the vehicle parts.  A hermit zombie was completed and I think the first time you see him coming at you, its going to be good for a scare. 

aTDxnZR.jpg

We're also working on a lock picking kit related to the barricading feature Peter discussed during the Friday dev stream last week.

Also, a new large, military tent is WIP which you will be able to persistently store your gear in."

Viktor / Lead Animator

"Last month we added new zombie run variations. Now we've started to focus on other areas. After going through many already mocaped animations we were still missing some important moves we want to improve the zombies with. To be more specific I'm talking about zombie attacks and hit reactions. The mocap session happened on tuesday and we have mocaped some awesome attacks and reactions for zombies. I truly can't wait to see it in game. This will be our immediate goal.

At the same time we have started changing pistol moves a bit. Although it will take some time to have it fully polished there is a new pistol lowered pose and moves for standing, crouched and proned player. And one more thing... it's one handed!

The MP133 reload animations have been finished, however there are some minor issues we need to fix. And as usual we are looking into bugs. Last week many minor issues in the animation graph were fixed."

Standup Notes for the week of 22 Sept 14

(Note: Standup notes are not a change log - they are a quick high level look at tasks the teams worked on throughout this week)

Art:

• Prototyping procedural color changing for weapons
  • Polishing bush rag and 3D camo for weapons
  • V3S Command Vehicle variant
  • New fishing related items
  • Lock Picking kit
  • 55 gal drum for dying leather
  • NEAF models
  • Various car parts
  • Medical Scrubs
  • Woman's clothing
  • Steyr AUG
  • Old man Zombie
  • Prison Uniform
  • Large military tent
  • New outdoor (picnic) table
  • ​Bugfixing environment models
Animation:
  •  Player animation graph bugfixing
  •  Rifle raised walk
  •  MP133 reload animations polishing
  •  Zombie MoCap Processing
  •  Lowered one handed Pistol Animations 
Design:
  • Bugfixing (restrain issues, endless usage of items etc.) 
  • Configs and scripts for new items 
  • Traps for small game and fishes 
  • Drowning player
  • Weather impact implementation 
  • Vehicles and their parts design and implementation 
  • Horticulture implementation 
  • Barricading design and implementation 
  • ​String tables 
Programming:
  • Client and server crash fixes
  • Door reimplementation (bugfixing)
  • Security on player location updates
  • Player respawn/connecting fixes
  • Tents positioning
  • New basic zombie behavior
  • Sound-over-network enhancements & optimization
  • Server fps optimizations
  • Support for better weapon animations
  • Like 16

Gun in one hand, flashlight in another would be great. But I am aware, it is not simple task because it is related to UI, animations etc:-)

• Like 1

Cant wait for the old woman zombie.

Is that a fetish?

• Like 10

I can guess from now how much I wıll get rage when this old b.tch zombie hit me through walls.

Edited by BugZ

Amazing! it's going to be very fun to re learn how to kill the Z again with all those animations.

Lovely truck picture! can't wait to see how hard it's going to be to put on the road a baby like that!

Amazing! it's going to be very fun to re learn how to kill the Z again with all those animations.

Lovely truck picture! can't wait to see how hard it's going to be to put on the road a baby like that!

Impossibly hard - the car will vanish the moment the server restarts. ;)

But on a serious note, I don't see cars being added to the game before they solve all the issues with the servers. I mean, look at the mess server owners are in now - servers freezing every 15-20 min, persistence causes various other issues so owners just turn it off, etc. 

Yeah retri19, indeed that, of course, seems to be top priority.-

I belive that the Alpha will be super "playable" even more then now, when persistence and stability in servers are On in the bassics aspects to make all the rest possible.-

When you can put a tent and don't loose everything is when things are going to turn super intresting.-

Looting, and saving / being around with the basic, and save that super favourite gun until you can finde ammo / etc...

Nice times ahead, indeed...

I know it must be hard to make a "playable" alpha, while making the actual game. so, all my beans, medals, claps in the back,"hi 5's", etc,etc, to the team behind everything! :)

• Like 4

I think the old man zombie is kinda creepy looking, even more so than the little crawly zombies. The truck model looks nice too, can't wait to see that bad boy rolling down the road

Is that a fetish?

Perv!

I think the old man zombie is kinda creepy looking, even more so than the little crawly zombies. The truck model looks nice too, can't wait to see that bad boy rolling down the road

There's a wrecked version trackside and behind the snack stands at the railroad station in Sevrograd.  It was even spawning stuff on the bumpers and in the back before the last patch.

I am calling the old man zed "wicked Uncle Ernie" after the pedophile in the Rock Opera "Tommy".

Edited by Barnabus

If you guys are doin the one handed gun thing, you should think about startin up on using a machete for the left hand (left click) and gun for right click (to aim, then left click to shoot) when both are in your hands simulatniously.

Hey everyone i see a truck as first picture ? wil it be in the next patch ?  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  

Can't read anything about it  :blink:

Or m i stupid ?  :facepalm:

kis kis from the bear <_<

Hey everyone i see a truck as first picture ? wil it be in the next patch ?  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

It will not be in the next one, they just keep putting pictures up every time to give you the illusion of progress even though in game it is not there, your best of expecting vehicle four months from now and then you will not be disappointed.

Also remember vehicles can not be put into the game into persistence is fully working otherwise how are they going to save, so expect working persistence and tents long before vehicles.

• Like 2

It will not be in the next one, they just keep putting pictures up every time to give you the illusion of progress even though in game it is not there, your best of expecting vehicle four months from now and then you will not be disappointed.

Also remember vehicles can not be put into the game into persistence is fully working otherwise how are they going to save, so expect working persistence and tents long before vehicles.

You deserved some beans there !  :beans:  :thumbsup:

excellent use of emoticons there man...pro I say

Edited by svisketyggeren
  • Like 1

• New fishing related items

I'm exited about that :) maybe spearfishing?!

• 55 gal drum for dying leather

Sound great :D If it's working with backpacks - perfect!

Could not have been said better.