ob1korobi

Persistence and a wearable "key"

This is only my second post so keep this in mind. I started playing after persistence was turned off for the most part. I have read a couple topics on this but I feel like this suggestion has not been made (at least not this way)

Having the ability to store items to the hive that will upload to the server you are playing in and would remain there the duration you are in that server granted you have a "key" to access them. The key would be a wearable item on your person and as long as you have it you can access a storage locker type container that you could place anywhere on the map. 

Breaking into this storage locker would not be possible by other players if they came across it "unless" they have that key. Only way to obtain that key would be to kill you and take it or if it were gifted/traded. This being said if you died and your key is taken, if the person who killed you can find your cache then they of course can raid it and take whatever they wanted. If you can respawn and find this person and get your key back then all is well. As long as the person that stole or has your key is logged into that same server they will have your key. The moment the leave the server the forfeit the key and the hive will update your character the next time you log in and you will have the key back. That doesn't mean that the person who had your key can't pass it on to someone else either. They may do so and that other person can resume exploring for your cach. You could possibly get it back from them or trade. Keys CANNOT be stored in your cache so the person that kills you can't just go and hide your key in their cache.

There are probably many ways that this could go but it would be a great way and I would sure enjoy it. Any thoughts?

I get killed someone takes my key, I log off, the key is gone.... Not really very good.
I kill someone, I get a key. Now I can search a 256km² map for a small box... Not really very good.

I don't get the point either, why would everyone be walking around with a key to a storage box?
Other than that, keys would just make KoS more attractive.

Sorry to say, but it's a big no no to me.

• Like 2

Anything that you leave in the world should be vulnerable to other players. There should be no such thing as True Security in DayZ. Anything that you leave in a server should become lootable, just like everything left behind by the denizens of the world that perished in the zombie apocalypse. 

• Like 3

I don't get the point either, why would everyone be walking around with a key to a storage box?

because...

Having the ability to store items to the hive that will upload to the server you are playing in and would remain there the duration you are in that server granted you have a "key" to access them. The key would be a wearable item on your person and as long as you have it you can access a storage locker type container that you could place anywhere on the map. 

But yea. Its a big map, making it hard to find other peoples loot. making it a little more realistic to hiding something in the real world from the denizens of the world. Being that there aren't many people left after the apocalypse, it is vulnerable but not very much and also not totally secure (hence having your key taken and able to lose it). You can already lose everything the way the system is now. What would be wrong with the ability and possibility you had a place to store some belongings to have that nobody could get to unless they met certain criteria? If you lose your key you ahve the opportunity to get it back on the same server. if the person who has your key leaves or doesn't retrieve it, you get it back.

Edited by BigB055

Breaking into this storage locker would not be possible by other players if they came across it "unless" they have that key.

Thats the part I don't like for reasons mentioned above. But the concept of lockable storage is not bad at all.

I would like to weaken this aspect in several ways:

1. Add only a finite number of different keys. This way you don't have that one key for that one container but rather a chance that your keys match. So you might find a lock with key or even only the key in some loot spawns and if you are lucky you come across a locked container and the key does fit.
  2. Make it possible to break logs with the right tools. So some special realtively rare tools like bolt cutters might be able to crack open logs allowing you to break into storage as well.
  3. Make storage able to be stolen: Locked box? No problem we are two or three and can carry that thing. Its very slow but once we manage to get it on our truck...
  4. Make it possible to outright destroy storage with the right tools at a chance of destroying the goods stored inside. Like putting some explosives on that locked box or driving over it with that truck.

This isnt warz or epoch ,even though epoch is a dayz mod most of us dont want to see clusters of storage lockers tents or fine and some time in the future they have plans for a base building mechanic we will see.

Thinking about this further, having a box that is only accessible by a key makes more sense than just being able to break into it with improvised methods for a few reasons. First off, you can put the box anywhere you want. Playing it safe would be putting it in the middle of the woods somewhere in a very rarely traveled part of the map. The flipside is placing the box in a more populated area closer to your AO and risk being killed and having the key taken. Another reason would be that you get the key back fairly easy so it isn't like you lose your loot forever. Let's say for the sake of a few other opinions on this particular part that you can only take a key once from another player. If say someone kills me, or trades me for my key, they cannot give it to another player. It is theirs to use the one time to open your storage. and you get it back. You can kill the person to get the key back during that session to prevent them from getting your loot. If they use it they use it and take your loot if they can find the box to begin with. Or they log off and you get the key back. You can never truly lose the box though. Also the box will disappear from the map so it cannot be camped later if you try to return to it. Once you get your key back you can place the box somewhere new if you choose. There are a lot of moving parts to this and it could for sure work with refining. It doesn't necessarily have to be a huge advantage either. Maybe just be able to store one rifle and limited ammo, food and clothing. 

how about burying gear.

burying and digging up could require a shovel and a sizable amount of time, during which you make noises and can be discovered.  and if you or your body are present it can be dug up by anyone, but when you aren't there it's 100% secure.  so someone can discover you at the site, detain/kill you, and get the stuff, but can't find it if they don't catch you there.

Edited by Red_Ensign