Sign in to follow this  
5p4rtan (DayZ)

Weapons w/ Magazines

Why are weapons never spawned in with magazines already in them. It's like everyone who left a weapon behind decided to take the magazines with them for some unknown reason.

If weapons were to spawn with magazines already in them then I can see weapons like the pistol/Sporter 22/CZ527 being used much more often than you see now.  Most people (myself included) don't even bother picking up the sporter 22/cz527 b/c the odds of you finding a magazine for it before you find a Blaze/Mosin/SKS are abysmally small.

So, devs, how about you make some of these weapons spawn with magazines already in them (you don't even need to have them spawn with FULL magazines, just A magainze).

Edited by 5p4rtan
  • Like 2

Think this has been mentioned fairly recently be the devs.  Though in real life it's a safety issue to leave a loaded magazine in the weapon when you store it, and if you keep weapons around for home defense you're not gonna keep an empty mag in your gun unless you're doing long term storage or something.  Ideally you'd have a/the mag nearby fully loaded.  Now since this is the Apocalypse very few things make sense.  You could explain this away in many different ways just as you could counter them.

One way, if you're scavenging from ammo or mags, are you going to pick and take every gun you come across, or just yank the mag, check the chamber and toss the gun if its not in better condition than the one you carry.  Think of it as you were not the first person there, otherwise would there really be random bits of clothes and weapons just scattered about?

• Like 4

I think it would be a two-birds-one-stone solution to make the 'lower end weapons' more likely to spawn with magazines and the higher end stuff more rare in general. 

• Like 2

I found a 1911 with a loaded mag already in it.  Spawned at the ATC tower in NEAF.

had to be player dropped. currently weapons never spawn with mags in them.

because why would anyone leave a weapon behind that HAD bullets in it?

because they died? dropped it? lost it?

plenty of reason for it to happen. It makes far less sense to find a gun without a magazine than to think about why someone would leave a gun with a magazine.

• Like 1

Since the latest stable update I have yet to come across a magazine. I've been running around with a magazine-less AKM for days. And I've made more than several trips to military bases/camps.

Since the latest stable update I have yet to come across a magazine. I've been running around with a magazine-less AKM for days. And I've made more than several trips to military bases/camps.

I managed to find an AKM, a 30 round mag and a 75 round drum mag in the barracks at the small military base south of NWAF last night. I did notice that most magazines are considerably more difficult to find. I also found an AK101 but never saw a mag for it. I also never saw any handguards or folding buttstocks for the AKs. Finding ammo for either gun was fairly easy on the bases but I don't think I've seen any for either weapon outside military bases since the patch.

Yesterday found a AK 101 with 28 rounds in the mag, today I found a AKM with 22 rounds in a mag, both times the mag was inserted into the weapon.

Odd. Were they in a usual spawn location or just randomly dropped?

I also got a drum mag and 2 AKM mags, all full, from my first and only Veresnik camp run on .49, no actual gun yet though.

I have only found Sporter mags so far. Still looking for SKS Stripper clips. Many, many hours into searching with no 7.62x39 love.  :o

Pistols should spawn with magazine but no rounds. If the gun was used during the apocolypse it would most likely be empty, but the magazine should be inserted. It just makes almost no sense.

Why on earth would we suddenly come across weapons all over the shop with mags in?

Edited by Legio23

Why on earth would we suddenly come across weapons all over the shop with mags in?

shop? ehh.. what?

anyway, you'd find guns with magazines in them because they were used?

Why not ask yourself, Why wouldn't i find guns with magazines in them? It's not as if they're brand new, fresh out the box. Or why would everyone suddenly only be taking the mags with them leaving an empty weapon? that makes way less sense.

If I correctly remember my military days the rules were; assault rifle on the rack, no mag on it even empty or expect to be invited by the sergeant for a little run of two hours around the military base stadium with all your pack on your back. Of course, no bullets inside the mag if inside the military complex. A few soldiers experienced the little run in the middle of the night because they forgot the security rules. DayZ seems to repect the military security rules.

• Like 1

For one because they aren't guns in boxes that weren't used. 

Secondly, currently it's so hard to find a handgun and a matching mag that they become virtually useless. Not even people with fire axes take them, waste of space, you will find 3 mosins, 2 SKS 1 Blaze 10 sporters before you find a magazine for your handgun. In a house you are most likely to find rifle or smg ammo rather than one for common pistols, seems legit. 

If I correctly remember my military days the rules were; assault rifle on the rack, no mag on it even empty or expect to be invited by the sergeant for a little run of two hours around the military base stadium with all your pack on your back. Of course, no bullets inside the mag if inside the military complex. A few soldiers experienced the little run in the middle of the night because they forgot the security rules. DayZ seems to repect the military security rules.

How is that related to handguns found in houses ? If there is a zombie apocalypse you will screw the rules and load your guns. Or would you rather take your time loading your guns and mags when there is a bunch of zeds trying to break your front doors ?

Edited by General Zod

could we all agree that for every firearm, there would generally be at least one magazine to go along with it (whether it's in the weapon or not), but most likely much more than one. the ratio is way, way off, I've found way more guns than I've found magazines, which starts to prompt questions like the OP. If magazines were more common (and as I've said it really makes sense to find more magazines than you'd find firearms) this really wouldn't be an issue for anyone, but as it stands, everyone is running around either chambering single bullets or tossing all mag-fed firearms in favour of individually loaded ones (excluding the AKM for obv reasons). 

i think ammunition should be much rarer to offset this, as i don't think it should be any easier to get a fully working firearm than it currently is, just that how it currently sits, nobody uses weapons like P1, 1911, Makarov, etc.

Edited by sab0t
  • Like 1

Since we have 3 options and the argument about ammo and mags being already scavenged it should be as followed :

33% of handguns spawn with no mag

33% of handguns spawn with mag, but empty

33% of handguns spawn with mag, and loaded

• Like 1

shop? ehh.. what?

anyway, you'd find guns with magazines in them because they were used?

Why not ask yourself, Why wouldn't i find guns with magazines in them? It's not as if they're brand new, fresh out the box. Or why would everyone suddenly only be taking the mags with them leaving an empty weapon? that makes way less sense.

When I was in the military the weapons slept in the armoury without mags (mags were individual equipment) unless there was a need for them, working in the private industry I never keep a mag in a weapon unless I am physically carrying it or it is my pistol for persec and even that depends where. My own personal guns never have mags in them and none of the mags have rounds in them either so as not to weaken the springs. So again I ask why would you find it normal to find tons of guns all over the place with mags in, either loaded or empty?

To find a few guns here and there with rounds in within the game I would consider that to be normal considering the situation but to want every firearm to automatically spawn with a mag is just nonsense.

If I were to find weapons with mags in I would simply remove the mags anyway and dump them out of the way if I didn't use them myself to ensure a bit of safety for myself in the immediate vacinity. If I could I'd take part of the mechanism too such as the bolt, dust cover, slide etc to increase that safety.

• Like 1

For one because they aren't guns in boxes that weren't used.

Secondly, currently it's so hard to find a handgun and a matching mag that they become virtually useless. Not even people with fire axes take them, waste of space, you will find 3 mosins, 2 SKS 1 Blaze 10 sporters before you find a magazine for your handgun. In a house you are most likely to find rifle or smg ammo rather than one for common pistols, seems legit.

How is that related to handguns found in houses ? If there is a zombie apocalypse you will screw the rules and load your guns. Or would you rather take your time loading your guns and mags when there is a bunch of zeds trying to break your front doors ?

For civilian guns I do agree, the mag should be in the same house where you find the gun. It makes sense, even if for security reasons you keep the ammo gun and mag separated they should all be available in the same house. For the military guns, security rules are security rules, the only guys with handguns loaded are the MPs. Edited by MaxTheSurvivor

For civilian guns I do agree, the mag should be in the same house where you find the gun. It makes sense, even if for security reasons you keep the ammo gun and mag separated they should all be available in the same house. For the military guns, security rules are security rules, the only guys with handguns loaded are the MPs.

As for military guns, we don't find them on weapon racks in armoury, we find them lying on the ground. So there should be a small chance of finding a rile with attached mag. 

It is the same logic of high value weapons still spawning at the airstrip. If this really were a zombie apocalypse those weapons would have been cleared out long ago.

Odd. Were they in a usual spawn location or just randomly dropped?

I also got a drum mag and 2 AKM mags, all full, from my first and only Veresnik camp run on .49, no actual gun yet though.

I can't remember where the 101 was but AKM was in the barracks in Balota.