Sakuya Izayoi

Why is SMERSH so rare?

The vest should not be so hard to find. Not one of my friends has found one or even seen a player with it. Aren't these SMERSH vest standard issue for Russians and her neighbors?  

You can't find them. Because they don't spawn. 

They spawn. They're just very rare because they spawn only in Mi-8 crashes. Like the M4 only spawns at UH crashes. Found 4 crashes since 0.49, 1 x UH and 3 x Mi-8, neither had the rare M4 or SMERSH vest. Lots of attachments and ammo/mags at the UH, and lots of clothes at the Mi-8. (only spawns clothes it seems)

http://www.dayztv.com/pic/dayz-0-49-full-smersh-vest-backpack/

They spawn. They're just very rare because they spawn only in Mi-8 crashes. Like the M4 only spawns at UH crashes. Found 4 crashes since 0.49, 1 x UH and 3 x Mi-8, neither had the rare M4 or SMERSH vest. Lots of attachments and ammo/mags at the UH, and lots of clothes at the Mi-8. (only spawns clothes it seems)

Oh forgot they "fixed" it. IIRC the 3 static crash helis now spawn randomly all over the map, right? well then, you are more likely to win the lottery :P

I dont think they were ever meant to be UBBER rare in the first place as is. In fact i think it was even commented there supposed to be a little easier to find.

Seems almost nobody has seen one on a crashed Mi-8 yet anyway from what I have read, the Mi-8's spawn half in the ground and with civilian clothes loot on them most the time.

Going on that picture up there, the texture is seriously ugly :( specially considering how high quality the rest of the textures are in the game.

Edited by Zoring

I dont think they were ever meant to be UBBER rare in the first place as is. In fact i think it was even commented there supposed to be a little easier to find.

Correct I think its covered slightly in this Sacriel/Chris Torchia video.

• Like 1

IMO they should have the same spawn as the other vests seeing how they are used frequently in Russia and what not.

• Like 1

Oh forgot they "fixed" it. IIRC the 3 static crash helis now spawn randomly all over the map, right? well then, you are more likely to win the lottery :P

Correct. The static Mi-8 are now gone, and the Mi-8 crash sites are shared with the UH-60 crash sites. Only 3 per servers per restart. Meaning you can have 1 UH-60 and 2 Mi-8. Till now I found 3 x Mi-8 crashes and 1 x UH-60. No SMERSH vest, or M4s... Yet.

they should make them spawn more often at the moment simply so that we can test them what with it being a pre alpha and all.

• Like 2

Is this some stupid troll attempt at being funny?

Actually its a honest answer, people who camp on roof tops I find are sometimes hackers/Scriptures. They're looking from some easy kills or they're dicks or whatever. I have killed a few of them and I have found the Smersh vests complete. However for some weird reason my stuff would disappear when transferring it into them, and their stuff I couldn't see... so a bug or something when trying to take it off someone. But camping spots are a good place to look. Kill those spawn campers, and get gear quick. 

I always go to Berezino when I first spawn to kill these guys, and get gear, or just for the sake of a little action. 

Not a troll, honest answer, just kill the people who bring them to you. 

I found one in a mil house, but perhaps it was left

I found one in a mil house, but perhaps it was left

You found a SMERSH vest or a small 8 slot SMERSH backpack? Which military house? The jail houses or barracks? Very interesting if it spawns elsewhere!!

They really should just make it spawn in barracks and jails. I'm all for the dynamic loot spawns and what not but when it's already extremely hard to find a helicopter that spawns it, then the spawn chance for the actual vest is so low that a total of 3 people in the entire game have found it they need to up either the spawn chance or add it to the military spawns. Here guys test this item that is impossible to find.

You found a SMERSH vest or a small 8 slot SMERSH backpack? Which military house? The jail houses or barracks? Very interesting if it spawns elsewhere!!

vest, in the mil house ie Land_Mil_House

Smersh vest are as common as camo pants and jackets in almost any army IRL. They should definitely share the same spawn chance and location as the smersh backpack. This is ridicoulus, hundreds of thousand of players and I don t even know if one guy found it since 0.49 release.

• Like 2

vest, in the mil house ie Land_Mil_House

Interesting. Maybe someone left it there as it's not supposed to spawn anywhere else... (at least from what we know) Are you using it? Did you add the SMERSH backpacks to it? Care to take some screens and show it to us?

Interesting. Maybe someone left it there as it's not supposed to spawn anywhere else... (at least from what we know) Are you using it? Did you add the SMERSH backpacks to it? Care to take some screens and show it to us?

i was thinking it was maybe bait that was forgotten about

So wait, the Mi8/Hind's are random crash sites now as well? So both Black Hawks and Hinds spawn randomly and spawn random bits of specific loot?