barnabus

(stun baton or a cattle prod) No tickee, no laundree or how to keep your shirts from getting ruined by zeds

Use a stun baton or a cattle prod when fighting zeds.  It knocks them down and the second hit will kill them.  This way you are not standing there getting beat while you are trying to swing another type of melee weapon.

The advantage of the stun baton is that it uses less battery than the cattle prod does.  With a fully charged battery on a cattle prod you will get no more than two kills on zeds before you have to replace the battery.  With a Stun Baton you can kill twice that number of zeds before you have to replace the battery. 

I carry two batteries on me at any given time, one on the stun baton and one in my pack.  When I find a battery I lick it to test the charge.  If it is full, I'll take it.

Ok, that is all, good luck.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm liking the stun baton too. I carry an axe as well but if you've got a pack of zed's on you, the stun baton proves it's worth in inventory space.

Yeah I'm liking the stun baton too. I carry an axe as well but if you've got a pack of zed's on you, the stun baton proves it's worth in inventory space.

If you have an axe on you, it's better versus zeds in every situation... why would you even use the stun baton?

• Like 5

Wouldn't it be easier with an axe? like with the baton you'd have to stand there and aim for the zed's head, but with an axe you can just do circles around it swinging.

Just sayin'

• Like 2

Axe is still way better. Sometimes you can even hit 2 with one hit when they pile up and try to kill you. XD

Meh. Zeds are completely trivial. Stun baton is the best weapon versus players, hands down. Fastest global cooldown (swing speed) and one hit totally incapacitates a person.

• Like 1

Meh. Zeds are completely trivial. Stun baton is the best weapon versus players, hands down. Fastest global cooldown (swing speed) and one hit totally incapacitates a person.

really i got my friend to stun me electric went surging thorugh my body 4 times , nothing we threw the weapon away

• Like 2

It's almost impossible to hit a player with a one-handed melee weapon unless they're standing still. With a two-handed weapon you can at least run around and attempt to be elusive.

really i got my friend to stun me electric went surging thorugh my body 4 times , nothing we threw the weapon away

Same here. My buddy hit me in the chest a handful of times before it affected me. It's one or two hits to the head, but how often does a player stand still long enough to effectively aim at their head?

Whatever, point is that if you are stuck with a 2 hit melee weapon you can save your shirts by using the stun baton vice the hoe.  Maybe you have some work around for the axe the rest of us don't know about but I tried the fire axe today, from behind, on a zed to no avail.  Didn't work at all.

It's almost impossible to hit a player with a one-handed melee weapon unless they're standing still. With a two-handed weapon you can at least run around and attempt to be elusive.

Same here. My buddy hit me in the chest a handful of times before it affected me. It's one or two hits to the head, but how often does a player stand still long enough to effectively aim at their head?

Funny, I had a guy attack me with a cattle prod. Didn't work too well. Then I hit him with a stun baton with a fresh battery in the upper body. Seized up like a board and went unconscious. The swing speed is really fast and only takes one hit. Seemed easy enough for me. Maybe you've had bad luck?

Oh. I checked the battery of the cattle prod my aggressor was using. Was drained entirely. That's why I won and he lost.

Can you one-shot a player with an axe?  I know I can one shot with the baton.  That is a solid plus in the baton's favor.

However, I almost don't need an axe anymore.  I trap zeds in buildings now.  As long as I am not going crazy in a populated town this has become my preferred method of dealing with them.  As I make my way through the town it also allows me some warning if someone sneaks in behind me as the zombies make noise when he comes near them and you can hear it.

Use a stun baton or a cattle prod when fighting zeds.  It knocks them down and the second hit will kill them.... I carry two batteries on me at any given time, one on the stun baton and one in my pack.  When I find a battery I lick it to test the charge.  If it is full, I'll take it.

Ok, that is all, good luck.

I do like the SB, BUT...

Problem #1:  Baton with fresh battery = 5 dead zombies.  Aggro 6 zombies and UH OH!

Problem #2: Baton = 2 slots.  Each battery = 1 additional slot per battery.  Axe = no slots.

Problem #3: Sometimes I don't see batteries for a long time.

As others have said (i feel I just need to make it clear the stun baton/prod sucks) - Axe is better in 100% of situations you will find yourself in. Honestly, the stun baton and prod have no real place in this game right now. Maybe if they had a high knock out rate....

While you are waiting for the second hit to drop from your axe your shirt will get ruined.  Just saying, you can't get that ruined shirts is what this thread is about is not my problem.

Stun Baton

1.  Stun baton knocks the zed down first hit.

2  While the zed is down apply the second hit

3  Shirt is NOT ruined

Splitting or fire axe

1  Swing several times and wait for hit, maybe hit, maybe not

2  Get hit by zed

3  Swing axe some more and get hit more by zed, maybe evn get a hurt leg or broken arm (which when that is fixed and you can no longer swing an axe with a broken arm will cause much wailing and gnashing of teeth)

4. Get shirt and vest and maybe even your back pack ruined in the process.

5  Grab bandage but never actually hit F to bandage, pass out and bleed out

Yeah, sorry can't see axe being the end all and be all of melee weapons

Edited by Barnabus

That is incorrect based on my field research.  3 stun batons did not down a fresh spawn.  Battery was in, fully charged.

While you are waiting for the second hit to drop from your axe your shirt will get ruined.  Just saying, you can't get that ruined shirts is what this thread is about is not my problem.

Stun Baton

1.  Stun baton knocks the zed down first hit.

2  While the zed is down apply the second hit

3  Shirt is NOT ruined

Splitting or fire axe

1  Swing several times and wait for hit, maybe hit, maybe not

2  Get hit by zed

3  Swing axe some more and get hit more by zed, maybe evn get a hurt leg or broken arm (which when that is fixed and you can no longer swing an axe with a broken arm will cause much wailing and gnashing of teeth)

4. Get shirt and vest and maybe even your back pack ruined in the process.

5  Grab bandage but never actually hit F to bandage, pass out and bleed out

Yeah, sorry can't see axe being the end all and be all of melee weapons

My experience with the axe is more:

1) wait for zombie to close range

2) step behind zombie, before he swings at me, continuing to strafe to his backside until zombie is fully in swing animation

3) whack them

4) repeat as necessary.  Usually 1 axe swing kills them, 2 tops.

That is incorrect based on my field research.  3 stun batons did not down a fresh spawn.  Battery was in, fully charged.

My experience with the axe is more:

1) wait for zombie to close range

2) step behind zombie, before he swings at me, continuing to strafe to his backside until zombie is fully in swing animation

3) whack them

4) repeat as necessary.  Usually 1 axe swing kills them, 2 tops.

Please see your reply above  for what my research has shown.  No malice intended on my part but it would appear we have different results, very glad this isn't rocket surgery. 

Using a fire axe I have walked up right behing them and swung 5-6 times on a zed with no resuit, not even a peep of agro.  From the same spot I pulled my stun baton and BAM, 1st hit down-second hit dead.  I gotta go with what I know.

Edited by Barnabus

The fact the Stun Batons are more effective to use on zombies than swinging and axe is ridiculous surely they shouldnt even be very effective on the undead !?

All melee weapons need to kill in 2-3 hits, otherwise they are pointless. No reason to ever not carry an axe.

Machete, Crowbar, Bayonet, Knife, Pipewrench, Baseball bat, all need to be like this

Edited by Zoring

With a little bit of skill you can 'home run' a zed with any axe on the first swing.

Only used it twice, both times one hit kills on zombies from a headshot.

I also used the stun baton against them which is terrible, and my cattleprod glitched and fell through the floor.

lol.

Did you have batteries in the stun baton? Cause it 2 shot kills zombies..

At the end of the day, if you're using a stun baton to kill zombies then you're probably bad at melee combat.  The stun baton and other battery-using melee weapons are really only viable if you're using them with a charged battery.  And if you're wasting a charged battery to kill zombies then you're probably bad at melee combat.

One of my favorite pastimes is finding an axe and then running around electro gathering as many zombies as possible and then seeing how many I can kill before one of them hits me. 

It's too bad their melee hits don't hurt each other.  You could probably take down 20 of them without even taking your weapon out. 

PVE is a nice distraction sometimes.  Still trying to find a good way to gather up a horde of zombies into the Novo admin building. B)

• Like 2