Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

Information of nearby players logging in/out

Imagine this situation:

You have thoroughly checked a house or a yard with one entrance only. You watch the entrance all the time and suddenly somebody appears behind you because he has logged in. From a logical/physical point of view this should not be able to happen (hiding in a closet does not count).

* I would vote for an information that shows up when another player logs in in a certain radius. Such as a message "Somebody logged in in a radius of x metres around you."

* Likewise the player who is logging in should receive a message "There is somebody in a radius of x metres."

* There might also be a message when somebody logs out (after his character has disappeared from the world) within that certain radius.

The radius might be discussed. Maybe 100 metres.  Such messages would somehow compesate the "illogical" fact that players can "magically" appear or disappear.

Rather than a note popping up you could have an audio queue. I didn't mind the magazine loading sound.

• Like 1

If the game provides us with the information of players logging in nearby, then that message should be visible/audible and clear and distinct all the time. An everyday sound is easily missed due to other ingame sound (shooting, eating, walking, zombies, wind, rain) and teamspeak voices.

No. This puts those who just logged in at a serious disadvantage. Everybody else in the area knows they are there, but they still know nothing. I like it the way it is. You can never be absolutely sure you are alone, and that's how it should be. 

No. This puts those who just logged in at a serious disadvantage. Everybody else in the area knows they are there, but they still know nothing. I like it the way it is. You can never be absolutely sure you are alone, and that's how it should be. 

In a game that's all about realism, it's not realistic OR FUN to have someone pop in behind you and kill you instantly, especially if it's a server hopper at a police station. 

I really dislike the concept of messages announcing the presence of another player. As Sacha sayed "You can never be absolutely sure you are alone, and that's how it should be". Unless the announcements were server wide, it'd be unbalanced. Even then I wouldn't like it. 

I like what what  Evil Minion suggested on his thread adding my view to his in the comments. 

I really dislike the concept of messages announcing the presence of another player. As Sacha sayed "You can never be absolutely sure you are alone, and that's how it should be".

I really dislike the possibility that persons can pop up magically (in this meant-to-be realistic world). "You can never be absolutely sure" differs from magical pop ups. When you have searched a house and have comrades watching the entrance(s), then it should be physically impossible that somebody is inside or suddenly comes out. (I am speaking of DayZ houses, real houses offer much more potential for persons remaining unnoticed).

To close the gap between the fact that people can "server hop" (with a neutral meaning) at any time and the fact that DayZ claims to be realistic, a vague message is not too much. But since this would provide an advantage to players being already logged in (in that closest environment), the person who is logging in, should receive the same information.

how do people get these ideas from?? its like the post of a few days where someone suggest to get a text if players are nearby ??

how stupid is that? next suggestion is a legit wallhack or what?

how do people get these ideas from?? its like the post of a few days where someone suggest to get a text if players are nearby ??

how stupid is that? next suggestion is a legit wallhack or what?

Audio que of a player logging in a room you just checked so you know about them, preventing a really stupid death by them = Wallhacks... Somehow?

If the dunce decided to log out in a building that is going to be looted, then they should expect someone to catch them when they log in. A simple, quiet yawn is all that is needed, not a fucking horror game violin screech reaching across half the damn map.

The only people who find warnings about players who log in the building they just checked are obviously server hoppers, as it would only negatively affect them.

You do not want to be noticed when logging in? Do not log out in a high loot zone, like a military barrack. Plenty of wilderness to hide in.

I've been ghosted by people well away from any sort of high-profile locations. One time I was running along the eastern railway tracks and some dude spawned in 50 feet in front of me. 

Besides, you make it sound like these guys are ninjas who only give their presence away by giving you the dread black screen of death. You hear footsteps, doors opening, etc. Even if the dude literally spawns in 3 feet behind you, he still has to notice you, get his weapon out, aim and shoot. If you didn't notice him in that time, you deserved to die. Be aware of your surroundings, all the time, ESPECIALLY in the places you describe. You know people are always ghosting and server hopping in those places, so take precautions. Close doors behind you, watch the corners, and listen carefully. At firsts, ghosts busted me, now I bust ghosts without mercy. You spawn in right next to me, you're eating a bullet sandwich. It's the only situation in which I KOS.