OptimumVision

Being the nice guy is often the hardest job in dayZ.

But sometimes you just have to remind yourself that it'd be better to stay the way you are then becoming the kind of player you despise.

Today in dayZ I was betrayed again after giving a freshspawn supplies, a warm coat, and some medical supplies in Novodmitrovsk.

After about ten minutes he shot me in the head with a blaze-95, he then proceeded to call me a "bitch".

Why are people in this game so unappreciative when people try to offer help and support?

• Like 7

But sometimes you just have to remind yourself that it'd be better to stay the way you are then becoming the kind of player you despise.

Today in dayZ I was betrayed again after giving a freshspawn supplies, a warm coat, and some medical supplies in Novodmitrovsk.

After about ten minutes he shot me in the head with a blaze-95, he then proceeded to call me a "bitch".

Why are people in this game so unappreciative when people try to offer help and support?

Because they are children. Also its kinda the thing that would happen in the real apocalypse. 

It's mostly "bitch" term that bothers, he could've been a little bit more polite to the person trying to help him when he killed me.

Because they are children.

We are?

• Like 1

Started my HC day today in Cherno and was immediately attacked by a bambi, before I was even able to do something. I run away, but got back to Cherno. At the fire station I found a guy with a broken leg and made a splint for him. Then his buddy showed up and we traded some stuff (I carry extra items for barter), they gave me bolts for my crossbow. But instead of killing them like almost everybody here suspects, expects and recommends, I teamed up with them. Shortly thereafter I glitched through the wall in a school and ended up on a narrow roof over the entrance, no option to go back or move in any way except down to my death. So the guys stood right below me and told me I can jump... I laughed and did exactly that and - voila! - survived. Only my pants were ruined (and I wear a very fashionable crimson paramedic set). After they saved my life, we looted Zeleno and Pavlovo together, where the server restart split us forever. I hope they're fine and well and found that goddam rope.

Everyone could have killed everyone else a hundred times, but noone did. And I had a backpack and a vest they were looking for. Instead we backed each other and helped with useful loot. I have no idea why they took a crimson-clad friendly armed with a crossbow to military locations, I felt more of a liability than an asset, but they did anyway and we had some fun.

Long story short, have my beans for good efforts, don't give up and believe me you'll have much better stories to tell than the 'I ran to the NWAF and died in Elektro' folks. :)

• Like 1

Started my HC day today in Cherno and was immediately attacked by a bambi, before I was even able to do something. I run away, but got back to Cherno. At the fire station I found a guy with a broken leg and made a splint for him. Then his buddy showed up and we traded some stuff (I carry extra items for barter), they gave me bolts for my crossbow. But instead of killing them like almost everybody here suspects, expects and recommends, I teamed up with them. Shortly thereafter I glitched through the wall in a school and ended up on a narrow roof over the entrance, no option to go back or move in any way except down to my death. So the guys stood right below me and told me I can jump... I laughed and did exactly that and - voila! - survived. Only my pants were ruined (and I wear a very fashionable crimson paramedic set). After they saved my life, we looted Zeleno and Pavlovo together, where the server restart split us forever. I hope they're fine and well and found that goddam rope.

Everyone could have killed everyone else a hundred times, but noone did. And I had a backpack and a vest they were looking for. Instead we backed each other and helped with useful loot. I have no idea why they took a crimson-clad friendly armed with a crossbow to military locations, I felt more of a liability than an asset, but they did anyway and we had some fun.

Long story short, have my beans for good efforts, don't give up and believe me you'll have much better stories to tell than the 'I ran to the NWAF and died in Elektro' folks. :)

Don't fret. Most of them get theirs sooner or later. 

Help a bambi with some zeds, me being just a little less a bambi.  He proceeds to try and hack me up with his sickle, I just her an ugh behind me, "Did you just try and kill me, then break your leg", I said.  Yeah, uhh, duh, or whatever he said.  "You soo stupid."

Was funny, thanks for that.  ;)

Edited by AlfalphaCat

Being the nice guy is often the hardest job in dayZ.

Yeah, very hard. But keep hanging on. ;-)

Being the nice guy I always found more difficult in most (single player) RPGs too. Playing a badass who kills everybody is easy.

I could never kill anyone who voluntarily offers to be friendly and risking his/her life. You can guess a lot from peoples tone of voice though.

• Like 2

Well writen man! It is indeed the hardest thing to not become KOS machine.

On the other hand balance is not bad either meaning sometimes you help a stranger, sometimes you might put a bullet in his head instead, preferably if he is armed.

But yes I agree, it kinda pisses me off to get betrayed after helping somebody.

And again yes, if they call you names afterwards, that's like icing on cake made of shit.

Don't understand the need to call somebody a bitch, after you betray him like one.

I typically KOS, when I decide to be nice to people though I expect nothing in return, and pretty much assume I'm going to die.

It doesn't bother me.  I'm not attached to my gear, so I go in with the attitude of who cares?

Almost all my friendly encounters have been positive.  I don't really remember the last time I was nice to some one and they killed me.  I think having the right attitude goes a long way and people can tell a lot from your tone/voice.  If you don't give a shit, and it's obvious, they're less likely to try to kill you to get a rise out of you.

I see people a lot saying it's hard to be good, or that they're disappointed when things go bad or whatever but to me it's sorta like, don't be "good" expecting anything from it.  If something nice happens that's great, if not that's typical DayZ/video games.

I also don't get the black and white attitude of either being good or bad.  Just play however you feel like at the time.

IMO the only "hard" part about being nice is resisting your own natural urge to shoot people in a video game =P

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

I think Bororm is on to something here. See, I didn't come to DayZ from the mod or CoD or any other FPS. One of my favorite franchises is Fallout, from F1 to F:New Vegas. In cRPGs like that I just can't bring myself to be a bad guy or even a so-so. I'm always super nice to NPCs (unless they're the bad guys) and can't help but being an obnoxious goody-two shoes. And it pays off with better dialogue options, quests, etc. Maybe we friendlies just come to DayZ half-expecting this same kind of a good story - the hero overcomes obstacles and gets the girl, the villains get their comeuppance. In Chernorus, a bullet to your back is often the only thanks you get and there is no moral to your story. So maybe we shouldn't expect anything really. Today I was once again roaming the East looking for freshspawns, starting fires and leaving food and rags there. Didn't meet anybody, but I understand that this kind of helping puts me at risk and that I will have to kill many a freshspawn. Well, I just hope other encounters will make up for that.

My advice is to keep doing what you do, just take precautions. Keep your distance, don't give ammo right away and always pay attention to how people talk. Never just assume anything and stay frosty.

Giving me free things increases your chances of not becoming holier by 79.8%!

Bucfxeb.jpg?1

Edited by Rags

I just really hate it more when they say they are sorry they killed me, not only are they just another douchebag but now that makes them a liar too. This, more than anything, makes me want to come back and hunt their slimely little ass down for the revenge kill.

My advice is to keep doing what you do, just take precautions. Keep your distance, don't give ammo right away and always pay attention to how people talk. Never just assume anything and stay frosty.

how people talk / their tone is how we roll. we had a constantly changing group of people that we'd bump into, then lose for whatever reason (usually due to server crashes). however, if we bump into someone that seems off at all, we kill em.

no betrayals yet and we've grouped with at least 14 diff people over the past few days now

Edited by sab0t

I met with a moderately kitted out chap the other day. He had a rifle but no ammo it would seem. He had an axe. Anyway, so after a few minutes chat we get attacked by zeds, during the attack he starts swinging at me, then chasing me, now to him it looked like I was a fresh spawn, however the first firehouse I looted, I found a magnum and 20 bullets. Anyway, so I whipped out the magnum mid run, then shot his ass. He bled a lot. Then I began chasing him, second shot broke his legs, then zeds started to finish him off.

After the patch pretty much everyone was friendly for 2 days, so i figured: "Hey let's be friendly again!" - Met someone north of NWAF and helped him out a bit, he asked me if I needed anything and offered me ammo (i knew it was a trap somehow) - well, got blapped in the face a couple of times.

Back to being cautious, killed the whole server population over the next 24hrs (didn't get his name), hoping that he was one of my victims and retreated back to the woods, observing evil-doers and evaluating peoples behavior through my PSO Scope as always, waiting to deliver 75 reasons to not be a jackass - especially to newspawns :D

Server-Wipe-"Friendlyness" was fun while it lasted, fighting against the rain and the cold as a bunch of half naked survivors, back to business now :D

i treat dayz as i would a real life situation the same way, keep to myself and look on from afar, i die a lot less, last char was 4 weeks old (playing about 2 or 3 hours a day), unless i need ammo or am running out of canned food, i will stick to the very north west of the map where i know like the back of my hand.

just waiting for base building to become a thing and i'll be a very very happy camper.

• Like 1

Its always funny when you spot a new spawn and you can tell he is a bandit that has just been killed by the way they act. They always tell you to go away, or don't talk at all. They are nearly always quite rude.

Edited by Ben_uk