LoNiC

DayZ Standalone State & Perspective @Dean Hall

Dean Hall, you have obviously lost all sense for what is making dayz a good game and what not.

Ppl don't play DayZ to collect berries from bushes go hunting and bother with endless amounts of useless items like screwdrivers, tinopeners, caps and boots in various conditions, bothering with blood groups and so on. Noone wants to search endless amount of empty houses for some thousands of different items that all in the end have no use and value for the gameplay that you want. DayZ is not fun by maintaining food and drinks and dodging zombies.

DayZ is meant to be an open world team tactical shooter with few realistic elements like eating, drinking and a better health system than usual shooters have (0-100% life and medipacks that resore some % of this life) and not the other way round. Ppl. don't wanna carry all that crap around. Surviving by finding food and dodging zombies is neither fun nor challenge for any veteran dayz player but promotes abuse (server hopping, duping, cheating) to exactly dodge these non fun parts of the game. Still this is the biggest challenge and the largest amount of time you spend in the current DayZ Standalone. Did you even think about why noone is/was playing original DayZ anymore but epoch and origins became very popular?

Your game sucks by now. Less is more:

- drop the blood groups

- drop the thousands of different items that only serve the purpose of wasting peoples time and moving stuff from left to right and top to bottom in the inventory and in the end losing it due to glitches, server restarts/rollbacks, unselectable stuff on the ground etc.

- make stuff easier in general, I don't wanna have 15 different flashlights and methods to craft them when in the end anyway noone with brain is gonna use a flashlight for the reason of not revealing their position to others.

- drop the conditions of items. If you at all wanna keep it make stuff having 2 conditions: broken and working. I don't care about pristine, used, worn, damaged, badly damaged, etc., are you serious?

- focus on the important stuff. This is vehicles, item storage (safes, tents, lockboxes, ...), base building, TACTICAL GAMEPLAY, SMOOTH GAMEPLAY.

Don't the hell tell me its an alpha version. It is very clear where the game is going to at this point of time and it is not what players want and nor is it any fun. It is hell boring what you plan to do with this game. Again look at epoch and origins and there you see what people wanna do.

Melee fights:

Are you kidding me?

I just played 2 hours of Standalone and I met a guy in the firestation who had a firefighter axe like me. The first 10-15 strikes we didnt managed to hit each other while being directly in front of each other and moving in circles. Seriously ...

If you had any idea about what you are doing then you would implement a system of blocking attacks instead of these crappy little hitboxes that prevent you from hitting and make the fight purely luck based. When I am in front of someone with an axe I am going to 80%+ hit him and not 5-10% as it is now. Increase the hitboxes and make melee attacks blockable instead so that 2 ppl with melee weapons can block each others attack and don't instantly die to a hit.

Zombie fights:

You can barely hit a zombie with a melee weapon when moving. When you hit it, it doesn't do any damage e.g. when hitting with a crowbar or a hammer. This needs to go. The game is not fun when you die to the first 2 zombies that you see while looting the first 150 houses for barely any loot cause you can barely hit them with a crowbar and if so you need like 10+ hits to kill it and get beaten half dead. The AI of zombies doesn't allow to trick and get rid of them anymore as it was in the old dayz. Slow movement inside buildings was a great thing to have actually.

Again:

Focus on the fun stuff. Fun stuff in dayz is sitting with 6 guys in a helicopter and flying to the sector B (origins) while knowing there are probably 1-2 other teams arriving there which will end up in a big firefight between AIs vs Group 1 vs Group 2 vs Group 3. Fun stuff is to drive with a silent camo suv close to an opponents base and set up an ambush as you know these guys come back from a mission (epoch) to bring back loot to their base. Fun stuff is to build bases. Fun stuff is to be able to store items and not having to search 150 houses for finding 3 tins of foods, 17 pairs of shoes, 12 pants, 13 hoodies, 7 biker helmets, 12 wool caps, 3 screw drivers, 4 rotten banas and a crowbar and all that crap in like 10 different conditions.

I am hell serious about all this.

• Like 1

DayZ is meant to be an open world team tactical shooter 

I don't think that's accurate mate. And since he made the game should he be allowed to decide what its "about"?

Edited by Bakermensch

Again look at epoch and origins and there you see what people wanna do.

The validity of your argument has gone straight out of the window

...it is not what players want and nor is it any fun. It is hell boring what you plan to do with this game. 

That is subjective.

anyway noone with brain is gonna use a flashlight for the reason of not revealing their position to others.

That is subjective. 

DayZ is not fun by maintaining food and drinks and dodging zombies.

That is subjective. 

Ppl. don't wanna carry all that crap around. Surviving by finding food and dodging zombies is neither fun...for any veteran dayz player

I do not find it fun, therefore it must not be fun for any veteran DayZ player. That logic is not logical.

I don't care about pristine, used, worn, damaged, badly damaged, etc., are you serious?

Are you serious? Remove those things and the Standalone isn't as vastly different from the mod(s) as it is now. 

- focus on the important stuff. This is vehicles, item storage (safes, tents, lockboxes, ...), base building, TACTICAL GAMEPLAY, SMOOTH GAMEPLAY.

Nothing should be safe in DayZ. 

DayZ is meant to be an open world team tactical shooter with few realistic elements 

Since when?

Focus on the fun stuff. Fun stuff in dayz is sitting with 6 guys in a helicopter and flying to the sector B (origins) while knowing there are probably 1-2 other teams arriving there which will end up in a big firefight between AIs vs Group 1 vs Group 2 vs Group 3. Fun stuff is to drive with a silent camo suv close to an opponents base and set up an ambush as you know these guys come back from a mission (epoch) to bring back loot to their base. Fun stuff is to build bases. Fun stuff is to be able to store items and not having to search 150 houses for finding 3 tins of foods, 17 pairs of shoes, 12 pants, 13 hoodies, 7 biker helmets, 12 wool caps, 3 screw drivers, 4 rotten banas and a crowbar and all that crap in like 10 different conditions.

Why do you not simply go and play Epoch? It is evident that you dislike the difficulty of the Standalone and one's inability to keep their gear safe. 

Your idea of fun =/= everyone else's idea of fun.

Edited by Inception.
  • Like 3

DayZ is meant to be an open world team tactical shooter

News to me. Although I like that that aspect of the game exists.

Overall I'm sick of people saying what the game is supposed to be and how we are supposed to play and how we are wrong to play it in any other way.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 2

I don't think that's accurate mate. And since he made the game should he be allowed to decide what its "about"?

You are right, I was a bit overextending.

But as a matter of fact the demand is deciding about what DayZ Standalone should be. Let me direct the question to you: Why do you think everyone went from original DayZ to Origins and Epoch?

I can give a simple answer: Because repeatedly searching for food and drinks for hours after a random death is neither fun nor challenging. It is boring as hell. The game that focusses it's gameplay on this is gonna be boring as hell.

@the guy who says everything is subjective. I am quite sure it is not subjective that all players moved to Origins and Epoch for reasons that I mentioned and dropped DayZ. The same is gonna happen to the Standalone once the modders come up with their stuff. Basically only newbie dayz players find it fun to search food and dodge zombies. Those wont be in the game for long anyway. The game is what players make out of it. This is not hiding in the wood and cooking your meat but tactical team warfare in an open world environment that is built upon surival elements.

Edited by LoNiC

You totally right but I can sadly say this game never going to be how you and me want. He finishing his game by his hands. Who care to run  over 30 minute to just for get proper gun ? This game going to be totally fail even if veichles comes game do you really think it will be easy to get them you wıll need tons of diffrent weichle parts. There is no fun stuff in this game expect rare p.v.p encounters. You can find kill on sight topic on forum many babies crying there. They ever think why people kossing ? Because there is no fun in game people getting bored to do same thjings overr overr and overrr againn. DayZ is jsut waste of time. İf someone ask why I playing then. I just playing for Kossing people and make them cry I wıll already stop playing when gta5 relase for pc.

You are right, I was a bit overextending.

But as a matter of fact the demand is deciding about what DayZ Standalone should be. Let me direct the question to you: Why do you think everyone went from original DayZ to Origins and Epoch?

I think its because Epoch is a different experience. Same way people scripted their servers into oblivion before the mods of mods. Regular DayZ offers a different experience than those mods, and from BI's standpoint it doesnt matter as their Arma 3/Arma 2 equivalents require the purchase of those products

Edited by Bakermensch

I think its because Epoch is a different experience. Same way people scripted their servers into oblivion. Regular DayZ offers a different experience than those mods, and from BI's standpoint it doesnt matter as their Arma 3/Arma 2 equivalents require the purchase of those products

It is because epoch and origins support the gameplay that people wanna have. This is as well some surivival elements (limited) as the tactical warfare for loot and team domination of zones and areas. It is defenitely not hunting deer and cooking water while hiding in the wood and worrying about blood groups and if your items are pristine or worn I can promise you.

It is a newb's perspective to believe that these elements can provide any long term fun. On the other hand I know people widely agree that the current state of the game is a big waste of time with hundreds to thousands of different items that you gotta loot in hundreds of different locations with its differerent condidtions, within hours of time spent (when not server hopping = promoted by this style of game), just to lose it in a short firefight. The relation of time spent on these different things isn't working out and thats quite obvious to any experienced player.

... This game going to be totally fail even if veichles comes game do you really think it will be easy to get them you wıll need tons of diffrent weichle parts. There is no fun stuff in this game expect rare p.v.p encounters.

Exactly. Running around and hiding from zombies (cause you can' kill them with your crowbar without getting beaten half dead) is only fun for noob players.

The mastery of DayZ is teamplay with knowing what each of your teammates is doing, where exactly they are located and how much you can trust in each of them to fullfil a certain task in the group without much communication taking place. High end groups use kind of military language in order to minimize noise and the amount of words spoken in teamspeak. People are having tasks (spotter, sniper, heavy, pilot, driver, ...) in groups what others rely on and expect them to fulfill perfectly. Where is all this in the Standalone?

Dean Hall, do you really wanna programm this game for some noobs that move on to another game after 2-3 weeks when they get bored of looting or do you wanna support and push further the aspects that made this game one of the best experiences one could ever get out of a computer game in terms of strategy, tactics, teamplay, skill, reliability, precision, overview and variety of choices in tactical combat etc?

Edited by LoNiC
  • Like 1

The game is what players make out of it. This is not hiding in the wood and cooking your meat but tactical team warfare in an open world environment that is built upon surival elements.

You say that it's what players make out of it but then you say it is not a particular playstyle? 

When was DayZ ever established as an open world team tactical shooter with a few realistic elements?

• Like 1

It is because epoch and origins support the gameplay that people wanna have. 

As do Call of Duty and World of Warcraft, but that doesn't mean DayZ should model itself after those games. 

It is a newb's perspective to believe that these elements can provide any long term fun. 

I played 1600 hours with these elements before i ever played Epoch

Edited by Bakermensch

You totally right but I can sadly say this game never going to be how you and me want. He finishing his game by his hands. Who care to run  over 30 minute to just for get proper gun ? This game going to be totally fail even if veichles comes game do you really think it will be easy to get them you wıll need tons of diffrent weichle parts. There is no fun stuff in this game expect rare p.v.p encounters. You can find kill on sight topic on forum many babies crying there. They ever think why people kossing ? Because there is no fun in game people getting bored to do same thjings overr overr and overrr againn. DayZ is jsut waste of time. İf someone ask why I playing then. I just playing for Kossing people and make them cry I wıll already stop playing when gta5 relase for pc.

This made me laugh so much and I don't even know why

As do Call of Duty and World of Warcraft, but that doesn't mean DayZ should model itself after those games. 

Comparing Epoch and Origins with  WoW and CoD seems a bit stupid and off topic to me. Got no other arguments?

I played original DayZ as well for some time. But this was already about having a tent infrastructure all over the map in medium sized teams and fighting other teams for the dominance on the airfields or other locations for hours and not looting food and screwdrivers for hours in pristine condition and escaping the rain and zombies.

Epoch and Origins developed exactly these aspects of the game further, that everybody was favouring and how everybody was playing and wanted to play dayz. The proof for this is that everybody went to epoch and origins when they released. Because it became the clearly better interpretation of dayz. In the Standalone I don't see how any of this is taken into account yet. It is a big mistake and probably will be the reason for a big failure (not financially thanks to alpha sales) of this game if nothing is gonna change.

If nothing is gonna change, this game is gonna be as dead as original DayZ is dead once the epoch/origins mods for standalone are being released.

Edited by LoNiC

Comparing Epoch and Origins with  WoW and CoD seems a bit stupid and off topic to me. Got no other arguments?

I played original DayZ as well for some time. But this was already about having a tent infrastructure all over the map in medium sized teams and fighting other teams for the dominance on the airfields or other locations for hours and not looting food and screwdrivers for hours in pristine condition and escaping the rain.

Because you feel a reply is stupid or off topic does not make it so. You obviously want a different game, one with elements of those two games I mentioned. 

Do not require any at this time

everybody 

No, not everyone went and played Epoch and Origins.

• Like 1

Dean Hall, you have obviously lost all sense for what is making dayz a good game and what not.

Ppl don't play DayZ to collect berries from bushes go hunting and bother with endless amounts of useless items like screwdrivers, tinopeners, caps and boots in various conditions, bothering with blood groups and so on. Noone wants to search endless amount of empty houses for some thousands of different items that all in the end have no use and value for the gameplay that you want. DayZ is not fun by maintaining food and drinks and dodging zombies.

DayZ is meant to be an open world team tactical shooter with few realistic elements like eating, drinking and a better health system than usual shooters have (0-100% life and medipacks that resore some % of this life) and not the other way round. Ppl. don't wanna carry all that crap around. Surviving by finding food and dodging zombies is neither fun nor challenge for any veteran dayz player but promotes abuse (server hopping, duping, cheating) to exactly dodge these non fun parts of the game. Still this is the biggest challenge and the largest amount of time you spend in the current DayZ Standalone. Did you even think about why noone is/was playing original DayZ anymore but epoch and origins became very popular?

Your game sucks by now. Less is more:

- drop the blood groups

- drop the thousands of different items that only serve the purpose of wasting peoples time and moving stuff from left to right and top to bottom in the inventory and in the end losing it due to glitches, server restarts/rollbacks, unselectable stuff on the ground etc.

- make stuff easier in general, I don't wanna have 15 different flashlights and methods to craft them when in the end anyway noone with brain is gonna use a flashlight for the reason of not revealing their position to others.

- drop the conditions of items. If you at all wanna keep it make stuff having 2 conditions: broken and working. I don't care about pristine, used, worn, damaged, badly damaged, etc., are you serious?

Don't the hell tell me its an alpha version. It is very clear where the game is going to at this point of time and it is not what players want and nor is it any fun. It is hell boring what you plan to do with this game. Again look at epoch and origins and there you see what people wanna do.

Melee fights:

Are you kidding me?

I just played 2 hours of Standalone and I met a guy in the firestation who had a firefighter axe like me. The first 10-15 strikes we didnt managed to hit each other while being directly in front of each other and moving in circles. Seriously ...

If you had any idea about what you are doing then you would implement a system of blocking attacks instead of these crappy little hitboxes that prevent you from hitting and make the fight purely luck based. When I am in front of someone with an axe I am going to 80%+ hit him and not 5-10% as it is now. Increase the hitboxes and make melee attacks blockable instead so that 2 ppl with melee weapons can block each others attack and don't instantly die to a hit.

Zombie fights:

You can barely hit a zombie with a melee weapon when moving. When you hit it, it doesn't do any damage e.g. when hitting with a crowbar or a hammer. This needs to go. The game is not fun when you die to the first 2 zombies that you see while looting the first 150 houses for barely any loot cause you can barely hit them with a crowbar and if so you need like 10+ hits to kill it and get beaten half dead. The AI of zombies doesn't allow to trick and get rid of them anymore as it was in the old dayz. Slow movement inside buildings was a great thing to have actually.

Again:

dean hall didnt mod the mods for the mod dude he didnt do overwatch and epoch or origins those were diffrent independent modders dean did dayz vanilla which most people DO play for the simulation you want acvtion stick with ya damn bf/cod games or wait till he openes up the game for mods and wait for the mod teams to take root.

Because you feel a reply is stupid or off topic does not make it so. You obviously want a different game, one with elements of those two games I mentioned. 

Do not require any at this time

You must know what you are taking about. I myself have never even touched WoW and the only CoDs that I played for a very limited amout of time were CoD2 in MP and modern warefare 1 in mp and sp.

Call of duty is a game where you pick your gun before the start and mass kill opponents in 2-5 minute rounds on small maps. WoW from what I know is about charackter leveling in linear themepark environment and questlines in big groups of 40 ppl.

Both is in no way connected to Epoch or Origins. You are clearly off topic here mate and you probably even know this yourself.

No, not everyone went and played Epoch and Origins.

Go open dayz commander or steam and count dayz vs epoch+origins servers and active players. There are roughly a thousand times more epoch/origins players than standard dayz players around for a very long time already. Even before standalone released standard DayZ was literally dead.

But to end this. I know where you are coming from and its alright. You shall get your standard surivial dayz with focus on searching food and pristine items, hunting deer and hiding from the rain. But think of my words in ~1-1.5 years from now when the game is released and epoch+origins for standalone release as well and this game is gonna be that dead that not even you gonna stay.

Edited by LoNiC

When I originally read the thread I thought it was a troll thread and would be yarded, Its now clear that it is not, and you are serious. 

I agree with Inception when it comes to most things especially the comment below VV

Your idea of fun =/= everyone else's idea of fun.

The community has become populated with people like you who believe they speak for the majority, you do not. Your opinion is exactly that, YOURS. It is not mine nor the other 2 million odd players who currently own the game. 

Yes development hasn't went the way you wanted it to, but the game will get there eventually and you may very well have your choppers and squad battles on private hives.  :)

Chill out, play some Epoch and if Dean doesn't create the game you want, maybe the independent modders who created Epoch and overwatch will.

Edited by MartinD
  • Like 1

be that dead that not even you gonna stay.

Maybe but by your argument I wouldnt play the mod any more (which i do), and i would have a steady population on my vanilla dayz server (which i do).

Again:

Focus on the fun stuff. Fun stuff in dayz is sitting with 6 guys in a helicopter and flying to the sector B (origins) while knowing there are probably 1-2 other teams arriving there which will end up in a big firefight between AIs vs Group 1 vs Group 2 vs Group 3

Goddamn. Someone needs to make a milsim game where you have modern weapons and vehicles in a large enough map to have some great fights between equally armed combatants.

• Like 1

As a final note to this thread: I know that dean didn't develop origins or epoch and that he has a different vision of the game. But this is exactly what I am blaming him for. He seems to not have recognized the development and improvements that these mods introduced to DayZ. Standalone is basically a replication of the original DayZ mod with imo way too much focus on not relevant things like if an item is worn, used or damaged, what blood group a player has and so on. Players are forced to spend endless amounts of time with tasks that are basically not fun or necessary and lower the gameplay such as sorting the inventory and replacing a screwdriver with a tinopener and moving stuff from the backpack to the pants, from the pants to the ammobox, from the jacket into the medical box and so on. All this in the environment of 100s of houses that you can find stuff in which most of course have to be almost empty in order to not make the looting to easy. This ends up in you searching food drinks and can openers for hours after every respawn. It is obviously condemned to fail if the game stays like this.

Being stuck on a 3 year old idea that has been already been done in the mod isn't progressive. I'd like to see a progressive development of standalone that builds on top of the improvements that epoch and origins brought to the game and push this further. Survival aspects would anyway still exist then and people who wanna play pure survival could keep doing so.

Edited by LoNiC

Goddamn. Someone needs to make a milsim game where you have modern weapons and vehicles in a large enough map to have some great fights between equally armed combatants.

I see what you did there ;)

I never thought I would

In this case go where you came from or build a mod. What you advertise is reducing depth, giving players much less options and turning the game into a distillation of itself at best.

What you want is to turn DayZ into yet another oversimplified casual game. I don't want this, I don't support this and I hope many people will agree. Also there will be many mods doing this anyways.

• Like 2

When you are dissapointed that DayZ SA is not like Epoch and Origins, well, why don't you simply play Epoch and Origins? I mean, i really don't get it. You don't want to care about more or less in-depth survival mechanics such as hunger, weather, illness but you come to the official forums of the game that tries to enforce this?

You want a tactical milsim. Well. *Cough*, DayZ is no tactical milsim. ArmA is.