shutupwalter

How was your Day(Z)?

If anyone meets  " benjamin "   just punch him to death for me,... knock him out, let him recover, knock him out.. ya know ..take your time about it.... thanx

xx

If anyone meets  " benjamin "   just punch him to death for me,... knock him out, let him recover, knock him out.. ya know ..take your time about it.... thanx

xx

Okay- you just can't drop an APB like that without a background story. I've seen your posts Pilgrim- I know you can type... 

So out with it! 

;)

Edited by ENO75

Normally I play a good guy, maybe not always a hero but never a bandit; I did help a lot of people (once me and my friend were called “the nicest people I’ve ever met in this game”), spared lives in heat zones, left food in spawn areas and the like. I’m also very squeamish about taking life and most of my kills are in self-defence (and the rest in PVP zones). However, when we heard that the wipe is coming, something… changed. We realized that despite knowing all the ropes of Chernarussian survival, being skilled hunters and scavengers, there is still one kind of meat we haven’t tasted yet… We didn’t talk much about it, but the decision was made.

After logging in, we decided to meet in Msta and have a good meal to get fully energized before we take on our quest. Fish and pumpkins were good starters, but we were resolved to move our menu up a notch this night. Both in gorka gear, me with my M4 and him with a shotty (having just lost an AK mag to a glitch), on a high-pop HC server we set off to Elektro. Empty as it turned out, only zeds around. After spending a considerable time there and seeing one distant survivor beat it to Cherno, we decided to follow. We got to the lighthouse near Pik Kozlova and started to toy with a newly found Sporter (we had a mag), when we heard voices closing in fast. Before that we had considered even asking somebody to donate his body to “science” peacefully, in exchange for some gear left at the location of death (“or else”). But this time the adrenaline rush got the better of us. The first man was down quickly, the second one hid in a shed. I honestly wanted to spare his life (we had our meat donor already, no need to do any more unnecessary evil) and started to talk to him, when it turned out that the guy was a hacker! He disappeared into thin air only to reappear and hit my friend with an axe when the latter was quartering our victim. I managed to take the hacker down when he appeared again.

We quickly ate raw human steaks (we deliberately wanted to contract the brain disease), while I managed to save some for later cooking. Then we immediately beat it. I started to make a campfire in Prigorodki, already twitching, crying and losing blood. But science and Chernarussian know-how demanded that we eat cooked human flesh, too. There was no going back. In the meantime, our “friend” reappeared and hit me with an axe through the wall (teleporting and knowing people’s location seem to be most common tricks in hackers’ book). Ruined gorka, heavy bleeding and with a fracture, I still managed to save 2 human steaks from burning. :)

We decided to run from the enemy and realized that the roles had changed and now it was us who were on the receiving end of manhunt. It felt super unfair that the hunter was cheating, but in order not to log out immediately, we decided to play like he’s a Predator. :P We quickly run up the forest on a small path to Pusta. By then, we were losing a lot of blood and need water to keep us hydrated. My screen was completely black-and-white at that moment. To make matters worse, I fell prone and started to vomit (dark-red “sick”) and lost all my water in stomach. My friend shared his last water in the canteen, while the hacker appeared to our left in the woods. We decided to find him and kill him, but he was gone in a moment. So we run to Pusta. I needed to alt+tab to find the well, there were zeds around, my screen B&W, my friend started to vomit when I was alt-tabbed, a hacker somewhere close… We were close to panic but decided not to give up or log out.

Only my friend managed to drink from the well when a shot from some carbine came our way (hackers are always lousy shots). I think at this point he was just being invisible. We started to run in the woods and tried to come up with some plan. I badly needed to drink, being very close to death, so I stopped after some considerable running to finish the canteen… That was my last mistake. The moment I stopped, I heard “thud”, fell unconscious and died. My friend kept moving, but when he stopped for a split second at my body, soon he was pushing up daisies, too.

That was quite an intense story for us in Chernarus. Basically DayZ gives me the best narratives I’ve ever had in gaming so far. Pity that we weren’t killed by an honest player who wanted to avenge his buddy, we certainly deserved it. The hacker’s ingame nick was NesQuiik, I checked his pulse, although I understand that without video proof there is not much I can do about it.

Its been an interesting time for my public character these last few days. I know there is wipe coming soon, so I've been trying to enjoy my gathered gear now i still can, while avoiding hackers like the one mentioned in the story above.

Anyway i logged in public where i left off : a high pop server near Pavlova military base, and decided to head back there in search for more action. I spotted a guy looting one of the solitary barracks. As he ran to the next room, i can see he is wearing military gear, a ballistic helmet and SKS. I figure this would make for a fair enough fight, and i plan to set up some kind of epic shootout. I want to walk up to him from the outside of the barracks, as he is looting the last barrack, but then i spot what i believe to be an AKM lying on the bunk bed. Ive been searching for one of these for days, and greed just takes over.

I fire 2 bursts from the AK 101 trough the window, and the guy just drops instantly. He never even knew i was there. When i enter the room, it turns out its an AKS-47u, and i suddenly feel verry bad again. Nothing worse than getting blackscreened out of the blue while looting a weapon... anyway, the guys gear is all ruined, and he is definitely dead as a dodo. So i decide to pick up the mini-ak47 anyway and go look for a mag and have some fun with it. After looting the other solitary barrack, i go to the hospital barracks. As i am sitting in the bush staking out the place before i make my move, all hell breaks loose again. Gunfire inside the hospital. 2 guys come running out, surrounded by zombies. I move in for a closer look, and one guy has a mosin, while the other seems to be unarmed. They manage to kill the zombies and instead of looting the barracks, they just leave and head into the woods. I figure id let these guys slide, since they dont seem to be verry geared,  and are moving around like freshies.

No AK mag to be found in Pavlova, so i head to Zeleno. Nothing there either. So i head back inland. I am standing in the bushes having a drink from my canteen, when out of the blue music starts playing. Its the music from the movie "psycho" from the shower scene, im sure you all know it. I look around, and there is nobody there, but i know exactly what is going on. A hacker teleported on me and he will now try to kill with my own guns. And then i see him, naked standing right next to me. I run away but he keeps popping up next to me. Next thing i know, my guy starts twitching and i am losing control. In a reflex, i just exit the game.

I logged in to my regular public server, and my gear is all there. It seems i am way too attached to this character. I try one more time to find an AKM and than i will definatly go and get killed somewhere or donate my stuff to a freshy. I guess the new patch will be here any day now anyway.

After that interesting encounter, i decided to make a freshy on a new high pop private server. A buddy i met ingame quickly joins me. I spawn in elektro, and my friend in Kamyshovo, so thats a good sign. Then it starts to storm and i get soaked. I know the area from the back of my hand by now, so i quickly gather everything i need, but i cant find matches. Even tough i found a raincoat, i am still soaked and cold, so i head over the nearby small hangar in the northeastern outskirts of elektro, as there are usually people there with fires. And i get lucky. There is a bunch of people sitting there getting warmed up. I join and we start some friendly chats. There is a lot of gunfire in town. My buddy arrives, and our group decides to team up and loot the fire stations and police station. We loot the rest of elektro and by now, the group has grown to about 10 people, with only 3 of us having firearms. I decide to go for a bow, and head towards an Ashwood tree, when my buddy gets fired on. As usual, nobody is to blame and our fine group quickly disperses into every direction. Anyway, i manage to patch him up and the server goes down for a restart.

I log back in and head straight to the fire station in hopes of finding some good stuff. I find only a 1911, but also some gorka gear and 2 assault vests ! I meet up with my buddy again who had found a Mosin by now. We head to the hospital and find a hypothermic guy. I got a fireplace kit in my backpack, but none of us have matches. We run around trying to find some, but by the time my buddy has found them, our hypothermic friend has dissipated into thin air. We help some other fresh spawns with food, and i drop an extra fire axe i had found for a guy who gave me some .45 ACP rounds.

We head back into the woods and call it a day. I am still thinking about that hacker tho...that background music was a very nice touch !

Edited by nillie

Back into SA after a long break.

Drove my first V3 and managed to maroon the thing on the thinnest wooden fence in Chernarus, within 5 minutes of discovery.

I finally crafted my ghillie top, hood and weapon wrap....now my life is filled with the struggle to avoid hypo/hyperthermia and wringing out the damn thing every time the Russian sky opens up. In order to maintain a consistent body temperature while travelling I had to drop my Gorka jacket (because I'm a lazy bastard and don't want to store the top in a backpack for every time I want to use it). I am now shirtless with the additional challenges of dealing with a severely restricted carrying capacity... but I FRIGGIN LOVE MY GHILLIE, and love how my survival has gotten that much more challenging  :)

When i'm not travelling, hot to death, struggling with my new life as a bush, or wrecking machines on the Chernarus countryside, I've been people watching (through binos not a scope) - not helping nor hindering anyone's progress -  hanging out in the hills like some creepy apocalyptic voyeur, just watching the show...

• Like 1

Back into SA after a long break.

When i'm not travelling, hot to death, struggling with my new life as a bush, or wrecking machines on the Chernarus countryside, I've been people watching (through binos not a scope) - not helping nor hindering anyone's progress -  hanging out in the hills like some creepy apocalyptic voyeur, just watching the show...

Sounds like a familiar lifestyle!

Sounds like a familiar lifestyle!

May your nights be cold, your lakes close by, and your steering straight and true, brother  :D

• Like 1

This happened the other day..

I've been trying to get some decent grey/green gear combination going and found a red bandana for my face that I could not pass up seeing as I have never found one (or paid any attention to) one before.  With 30+ people, I keep circling around the northern outskirts of Cherno during the mid day rain, scoping it out, when I suddenly hear multiple mosin shots.  I see a bambi about 200-300m in front of me doing a serpentine down the road, so I head in his direction to see if I can help.  Again, I know that with this face bandana I look like trouble but in I go!

I catch up with him rather fast and ask him where the sniper is.  All I hear is "I'm friendly" in a European accent.  I repeat the question a few times with no response other than "I am friendly!".  I believe I pinpoint where the shots are as I tell him to follow me into the hospital.  He seems to follow me but not as quickly as I would like so I make haste inside while yelling to follow me.  I clear the upstairs and come all the way back down before I hear him get shot outside.  He starts yelling "help! I am shot, what in the sh*t is this?!".  I keep cover between myself and the sniper as I yell at him to run towards me but he lays down as I can only assume he was shot in the leg.  I tell him to crawl towards me and I will heal him.  The sniper is either a terrible shot or is toying with him before he finally puts him to sleep (what seems like 10 minutes later was probably only 10 seconds).  I make my way toward where I think the sniper is before the server resets.

I change servers and log in out in the open, so I rush over to a nearby red house to sort my gear and get my bearings (40+ people in this server).  Not a minute later I hear someone running around the house while I hear multiple "glass break" sounds.  I clear the house and back myself in the corner while this happens..

http://youtu.be/SgH1xqlpm6s

The video starts with the final "glass break" sound as I head towards the top of the stairs.  Just as the front door comes into view I see it swing open.  I sit pretty at the top of the stairs with my shotgun fixed on the door.  A few seconds later I hear a gun click (empty, lol).  I look around and think maybe it was outside.  Who knows?  Just then, I get bonked with an axe by mister invisible (at least I am assuming it was an axe).  Yay!

Edited by schwaBAM

Wow... So that's what we're up against eh? 

Here's hoping this new .53 slams a door on some of that. Maybe someone else can offer an explanation but it looks pretty convincingly below board. 

Here's another one from today!  lol..

We were looking for heli crashes and stopped at the barns in the video (see below) to eat some boar steaks.  We started a fire in the shed just outside of the brown barn and shut the doors.  We took our time and started to leave just as one of our guys was unable to walk/move.  It was totally random.. anyways, less than 10 seconds later we hear a mosin shot, then another..

This video picks up about thirty seconds after the first shot.  

Luckily the hacker was pretty terrible and we all survived.  You can see me totally 'jerk' left as I get hit -- Ha!

I was back on my normal server last night and the pop was pretty low. I can only get in very late at night right now and figured I'd use that time to go run around and scrounge up some bits and pieces. Solichniy has been suffering a bit of a persistence bug so it's overflowing with loot- I ran over there to see how it was going and on the way over there I learned that I shouldn't ever leave home without rags. Rookie mistake- I figured... heck, I'll get to Sol and find something and things will be fine. As I ran past the factory I grabbed a zombie tail and it wagged the proverbial dog. 

I had a splitting axe so while I was trying to hit one I was getting hit by another. I also had a bomber jacket on and that was instantly ruined. Only thing that likely saved me was the ballistic helmet and press vest. I was bleeding everywhere... finally killed the 3 zeds and was in rough shape. Started seeing grey. Checked my pockets and didn't have rags but knew I had a first aid kit- I knew it was there when I left.. figured I'd had bandages. Nope. Crap. I'd got a little too excited about saving ZH last week with an IV after he- for some reason unknown to both of us- drank the antibacterial spray. 

Branching off for a second on that note... That was an intense situation. If you ever have it force fed to you by a bandit- I'm not sure the best way to deal with it. I figured it might be best to just get him overstuffed to throw up and then just keep him hydrated. Problem was that we were away from Chez Eno and stuffing him wasn't as easy as we thought. We sprinted back to the camp to get some pumpkin down him and also take some meds wondering if they were going to help... He ate and threw up but at that point was seeing all grey. I ran up to the hospital hoping to be able to get him some IV stuff or some charcoal tabs... By the time I had checked it out and found an IV / Saline kit he had gone unconscious. Fortunately I know that area REALLY well and sprinted directly to him. At that point it was a bit of a fluke that I'd grabbed an IV / Saline kit- bundled and takes up 2 slots. There are also individual saline bags and IV starter kit that I'm assuming (haven't tried it yet) will be crafted into an IV / Saline kit. 

I got the IV into him and he came around almost immediately. PHEW! 

So back to the original story (sorry), I'm near the factory and in a bad way- seeing grey and can't find ANYTHING to patch myself up. Apparently leather repair kits can't stitch you up (good thing if you've ever seen the size of a needle used to repair leather lol). I couldn't find any shirts anywhere around the factory and the med center had some IV stuff but nothing I could self administer. I drank all the water I had hoping it would help and ate some of my food supplies for the journey to prolong the inevitable. 

I sprinted as things got grey and I'm positive I felt my controls get sluggish (placebo likely). I arrived in Solichniy and went to one spot I knew was overflowing with supplies. I stepped in the shack and practically had to climb over the loot... but could I find anything to help stitch myself up? Not a  SINGLE sewing kit... Oh wait- a medical kit! Thank goodness. CRAP- no bandages... just a syringe and a bunch of IV related things. 

Seriously?! Well- nobody said it would be easy. 

Zed launch followed by more clumsy flailing on my part. Grey... Grey... tick tock doc. Do I put all my stuff down and just suicide? Get it over with? No. Too stubborn for that not to mention impatient!  ANOTHER run to Soli? No thanks. 

Finally- after another couple minutes pushing through other loot-bound buildings- I found a sewing kit. No time to disinfect... I have some meds back at Chez Eno- stemmed the flow and grabbed some food and drink from a nearby well. PHEW! Disaster averted. 

Head back to Chez Eno to resupply for a visit to NEAF. There are 4 people on the server so they're probably in a firefight in Elektro or something... I don't care. I head off- amazingly having no trouble finding it unlike the last few times. How do you not find a fricken airfield? I've found plenty of ways- just go back a few pages. 

Arrive from the SE corner and make my way up the NE side- through the shop and over to the small gate building. Nothing. I mean- NOTHING. Move across to the NW corner and pass by the vehicles in the middle there when I see a ZED CHARGING! But no launch code... no warning... It's just running at me. Axe out (found a fire axe in Sol)... get ready to sidestep and swing... Wait... This one isn't running at me- This one charges right past me... at a cow? Deer? Another player? I'm just completely confused while looking around for someone else who is UNQUESTIONABLY a threat to me given my location. 

Nobody. Nothing... Whoa... wait... That's not a zombie- that's SOMEONE! Now looking more closely I see the backpack and his garb. My mic on the laptop doesn't work so I type out "Hello?" in direct chat... but I think he was too far away. I'm ALMOST positive he knows I'm there since  he goes into the building I just left and stands at the window looking at in my direction. I'm hiding behind the BMP sitting there- looking at him in 3PP. He glitches through the wall a few times but stays put. I'm sure I waited there for about 5 minutes... and he was looking out the window. At me? At the field? Not 100% sure- but boy in my head that was an intense standoff. I checked the pop on the server- and it was down to 3 including me. What are the odds? 

He would step away from the window briefly... maybe looking out 3PP view as well? Unsure... but I broke contact after having not seen him for a few minutes and then observed the building from a distance. I didn't see him again and headed back to Chez Eno to wrap it up. 

Anyway- hoping to hook up with Schwabam for some teamwork stories!

Edited by ENO75

Branching off for a second on that note... That was an intense situation. If you ever have it force fed to you by a bandit- I'm not sure the best way to deal with it. I figured it might be best to just get him overstuffed to throw up and then just keep him hydrated. Problem was that we were away from Chez Eno and stuffing him wasn't as easy as we thought. We sprinted back to the camp to get some pumpkin down him and also take some meds wondering if they were going to help... He ate and threw up but at that point was seeing all grey. I ran up to the hospital hoping to be able to get him some IV stuff or some charcoal tabs... By the time I had checked it out and found an IV / Saline kit he had gone unconscious. Fortunately I know that area REALLY well and sprinted directly to him. At that point it was a bit of a fluke that I'd grabbed an IV / Saline kit- bundled and takes up 2 slots. There are also individual saline bags and IV starter kit that I'm assuming (haven't tried it yet) will be crafted into an IV / Saline kit. 

That was a close call! Most of the times I carry a saline kit on me but never had an opportunity to successfully use it. Also: I'm quite sure you don't need to induce vomiting, I've seen on Merino's yt videos that's a common myth. Just keep the patient at bright-green energized and hydrated (either dark or bright) and he should live. I had severe food poisoning only once but lived through that thanks to some food and staying close to a well. I'm quite sure the chemical poisoning works in a roughly similar way (not 100% sure though, I need to look it up again at some point).

Today me and my friend decided to practice controls and shooting by hunting zeds in urban areas. I noticed that a big chunk of my problem is not really being a poor shot but mixing the controls in the heat of the fight, issues with raising guns quickly, running around, turning quickly around and taking aim, this kind of stuff. So we took several guns with a heap of ammo (from a military base with bugged loot) and took it to Cherno. Only two other guys on the server, so we figured they loot bases or hunt helis... I mean come on, the map is so big, what are the chances. :)

Now, I don't really want to be a master of PvP and I do want to stay one of the good guys, but I also want to have some experience in social/hostile situations, learn weapon handling, take cover, tell the difference between friendly and fishy players, this kind of stuff. For a long time I've been discovering the solo survival aspect of the game and now it's just plain too easy, even on thoroughly looted servers. So here we are, trying out different weapons, shooting with and without RMB aim, learning the sounds they make, etc.

Out of a sudden, I spot a guy running up to the Cherno police station! I run up to him and held him up, while my friend applied the handcuffs. The guy asked us not to kill him and I assured him he's not going to get hurt and we did that just for 'scientific' reasons (we want to do all there is to do in Chernarus at least once, hence our previous go at cannibalism). We let him wiggle out of the handcuffs and shared food with him and started to chat. Mind you, this was still right next to the police station in Cherno, because apart from the three of us there is only one guy out there and "what are the chances".

So we give him boar steaks and he asks how you get them and cook them, I start a small lecture on animal hunting, when BAM... "You are so dead" screen. I'm taken out, nice and clean headshot by the fourth guy on the server. My friend starts to run around some blocks frantically, puts his shotty away, takes out his AK101, tries to take aim while out of breath, is about to pull the trigger, BAM again, he's down as well. I wonder how often "there is no way I run into anyone here" were actually the last words of many a survivor. :) I had known that in theory, now I painfully learnt in practice.

But sadly, there is another reason I screwed up and let my guard down in one of the hottest spots on the map, and that reason boils down to "15 FPS in urban areas". I feel my dayz starts to choke every time I visit a big city, and intensive looking around just makes matters worse by constantly freezing my character for split seconds. The lag is so painful and I just can't see how I could put up a serious fight in Bere/Cherno/Elektro, regardless of combat experience. Try to flank a guy when you character feels like in a drunken stupor. Tonight I feel a bit dismayed and I'm thinking about putting dayz aside for a while. Fortunately .53 is coming soon, so I'm looking forward to the new content.

Today me and my friend decided to practice controls and shooting by hunting zeds in urban areas. I noticed that a big chunk of my problem is not really being a poor shot but mixing the controls in the heat of the fight, issues with raising guns quickly, running around, turning quickly around and taking aim, this kind of stuff. So we took several guns with a heap of ammo (from a military base with bugged loot) and took it to Cherno. Only two other guys on the server, so we figured they loot bases or hunt helis... I mean come on, the map is so big, what are the chances. :)

Tonight I feel a bit dismayed and I'm thinking about putting dayz aside for a while. Fortunately .53 is coming soon, so I'm looking forward to the new content.

Don't put DayZ aside my friend- just put the big cities aside! 

I wonder how often "there is no way I run into anyone here" were actually the last words of many a survivor.  

Some time ago I managed to get killed in the woods between Severograd and the NWAF by the only other guy on the server. He'd either been stalking me since Novo, or this was the chance encounter to end all chance encounters.

Don't put DayZ aside my friend- just put the big cities aside! 

Funny thing is, now I realize that I never really liked Cherno, Elektro and Berezino. Low FPS and actually-less-than-fantastic loot may account for the bulk of it. I like Zelono, Novo and Severograd a bit more, although FPS in Novo are actually the worst. On the other hand, I travelled a lot through the entire Chernarus and for a change would like to meet people and learn to deal with hostile ones. Tough call...

Seriously, why do people even flock to Cherno/Elektro? Local loot is definitely subpar, a couple of good places amidst lines of residential housing - add a fire station to Polana and you've got Cherno loot. Sure there are police stations in both of them, but these are always, invariably, under any circumstances, absolutely and thoroughly looted on all medium- to high-pop servers. I don't even bother anymore, risking my neck for a can of soda. Military locations at least promise a higher yield in return for the risk.

The only explanation that comes to my mind is "we all kinda agreed to meet in Bere/Cherno/Elektro because tradition". :)

Some time ago I managed to get killed in the woods between Severograd and the NWAF by the only other guy on the server. He'd either been stalking me since Novo, or this was the chance encounter to end all chance encounters.

Wow. Just wow. I mean I know that in theory anything can and will happen in Chernarus, and I heard and experienced very improbable stories, but this one, maybe not that spectacular on the surface, is actually very unlikely. It is not that often you run into the only other player even at the NWAF/Vybor, while the woods are usually very safe even on busy servers. You're jinxed, man. Unless it was the Blair Witch or some other infernal spawn from the Devil's Castle, that is. ;)

I figured it might be best to just get him overstuffed to throw up and then just keep him hydrated.

Turns out WOBO did a video on that, too, valid for .49. Vomiting is a no-no, instead just keep yourself energized and hydrated. Your saline bag helped ZH survive as the blood loss is the main issue here, apart from losing health. But mainly, just eat and drink. Being close to wells is advised in case of puking.

• Like 1

Can you elaborate on that? Did you ever see the guy or hear anything? Or did you just get the black screen saying you were dead? 

Edit - sorry for weird colour\formatting - I cannot seem to fix it :-(

I'm terrible at PVP and really need to practice it some more, purely for self-defence.  I know quite a few of the basics (fire down the sights, aim for the head, if they start bleeding keep them pinned down so they cannot bandage, etc...) but every time I find myself under fire I go to pieces and forget them.  I also suffer the occasional 3-4 second freeze which is really frustrating because my son, on an identical PC, doesn't get the same issue (and he's using wi-fi whilst I am on a cable so my connection should be better, if anything!).  Mostly though, when I get shot at it’s because they’ve taken me by surprise and I’m dead before I have a chance to run.  In addition to this, I find the way that the cursor\weapon moves to be very “laggy”, I tend to swing towards a target, then past it, then I over compensate and swing back too far the other way.  I think that the guns in the game are way more difficult to aim than they are in reality, certainly at very short ranges. 

Anyway, recent DayZ highlights on my favourite private 3pp server include an epic NWAF and military base run with my friend sprig when the server was otherwise empty.  We both managed to get identical gear (by chance, we weren’t really trying) and are running around with respirators over our mouths, aviator shades, ballistic helmets, camo gear under black high capacity vests and each sporting an AKM with mag.  In fact, since the server was empty and we had almost 200 rounds of ammo we each unloaded a clip for fun – that’s the first time I’ve ever fired an assault rifle in the game.  We also discovered a military tent – this is the one that is so big it has to be carried in place of your backpack.  It’s also pretty massive once deployed.  As this was a persistence off server we just left it deployed on the runway.  We decided to try and find a truck and maybe find a helicopter crash site or two and, whilst running towards a possible truck spawn point I spotted a column of smoke off to our right.  Aha!  There was still no one on the server so we charged straight in and although the site had not been looted we couldn’t find a gun or mags, just a lot of M4 attachments which we left.  Sadly we didn’t find a truck and ended up in the North of the map, pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

Military tent deployed on the NWAF

2015-02-01_00010_zps89b3aaa1.jpg

Inside the tent!

2015-02-01_00004_zps35b018a1.jpg

Finding a downed US Chopper

2015-02-01_00014_zpsd471659f.jpg

Lots of M4 attachments, but no M4

2015-02-01_00015_zps90ba272f.jpg

Meanwhile, over on the public hive, I took my public character out on a solo run to the Pavlovo Military base on Saturday - only 2 other people on the server.  Made it to the last barracks and lo and behold, just as I find an AKM and am swapping it over with my Sporter there's a fully armed guy in the doorway looking down his AK at me and "you are dead."  To be honest, I didn't care, it was a very high risk location and I understand that even on the "no KoS \ RP" servers those areas are pretty much auto KoS locations.  More than that though, for some reason I just didn't connect with that character - he had no story and so I had no attachment to him.  I think subconciously I was playing to get him killed.

I respawned East of Elektro, immediately found a raincoat, gloves and wellies in a fishing boat and then made my way into the city in order to grab a few essentials to stabilise my character (primarily a bag, some food and some water).  

When it comes to gearing up, I like to find a balance between risk and reward that generally favours the low risk.  2nd and even 3rd line towns are my favourite place for finding a firearm.  PVP is an absolute last resort for me and I'll always attempt to run and break contact rather than fight, if at all possible.  But I needed to head West, not inland, to get back to where I died (so that the next time me and my friend play our public characters we don't need to spend an hour looking for each other) and I knew that 1 of the 2 guys was in the military base - playing the odds that the other guy wouldn't be in Elektro, or even if he was that I could lose him in the buildings, seemed like a fair risk.  I found a few bits including a splitting axe, and a Sporter though no mag, and lots of ammo, including over 70 rounds of .357.

I left Elektro heading North West, passing through the mountainous forest behind the cliffs above the coast road - a much safer way to travel.  I didn't bother looking into Prigorodki and instead followed the treeline into Dubky.  

Dubky is a fascinating place to me.  One of three high rise cities that surround Cherno it's an amazing place to walk through, the abandoned towers and slightly overgrown public areas, combined with the abandoned vehicles and piles of rubbish scattered around really make you feel like you are in an abandoned city in a way that I just don't get from Cherno, Elektro or Novo.  It's also a veritable gold mine for getting geared up fast, with rifles and pistols readily available thanks to the numerous abandoned cars lying around.  However, this does make it a risky place, especially so given its proximity to Cherno and the possibility of snipers on the towers, but that said I've never seen another living soul there.   

Within minutes I located a 6-shot shotgun, a CR75 pistol mag in the boot of a car and in the very next car a CR75 pistol.  Jackpot winner!

I passed through the rest of the town, ignoring the looming towers and pushed on to the middle of the three towns, Novoselky.  A smaller town this one, it still has a few towers but mainly consists of smaller buildings on its Western side and more cars.  By the time I left I was struggling to carry a drybag loaded with food, drinks and ammo.   On to Chapaevsk, and heightened awareness as the server list showed 8 people online now and of course the airfield at Balota is nearby.  In the first car I looked in was a Repeater which i took in favour of the shotgun (10 shells versus 70 .357 rounds is a no brainer for me) and then I went to the garages at the back of the city, a nice location to pick up assorted bits and pieces, but not somewhere that you'll find a SPOSN Tortilla backpack, which was weird because there was one right in front of me in the second to last garage.  Uh-oh.... gun out but lowered, I scanned around me but there was no-one to see so I moved in to check the bag (the condition - which could tell me if there was a gun fight here - and contents in case some good loot was here) but it was damaged and empty.  Ok, I don't like this now but there's only one last garage to check and...it's got a hunting backpack in it.  It's worn and empty and also damp - that's good, because I've been playing for an hour or so at least and it's not been raining for at least 30 minutes.  Whoever dropped it is probably long gone.  I quickly swap my stuff over to the hunting backpack and leggit!

Ok, I'm all set - just a short jog through the woods brings me to within a few hundred metres of where I left my friend.  There's a deer about 5 metres from the edge of the forest and an idea suddenly comes to me.  I shoot and kill it, then skin and quarter it.  The steaks go onto a fire and whilst they are cooking nicely I craft a leather sack.  This gets loaded with a few choice spares (food and drink, some ammo and a few other odds and ends) and is then deposited under a nearby tree in the forest.  I practice finding it until I am confident I can locate it and then I run for a minute to a nearby road.  I switch on my recording software, show my location on a DayZ map, then retrace my steps, pointing out the landmarks I use to navigate there, until I am back at the leather sack.  I log off, create a video from the file and burn it to CD.  

This morning when sprig gets into the office (we work in the same building) he finds a CD on his desk labelled "DayZ Treasure Map"…

P.S. One other thing, I recently played on a private server that was set to night time - if you haven't ever played DayZ at night, you really are missing out on a great experience!

Night with a green chem light

2015-01-28_00004_zpsea6c6c32.jpg

2015-01-28_00003_zps2ef87871.jpg

2015-01-28_00006_zps94a8e4ef.jpg

Edited by krazypenguin

Can you elaborate on that? Did you ever see the guy or hear anything? Or did you just get the black screen saying you were dead? 

No, he took a Mosin shot at me but missed when I was running in a straight line, so I ducked behind a tree. I only got a glimpse of him, as the next shot went right between my eyes. 

so.. yesterday i visited the military tent camp on the western edge of the map. i've only been there once a while ago and back then someone already looted the place dry. this time was different tho.. i've never seen so much ammo. ever. every tent had at least 3 boxes and a bunch of loose rounds in it, makarovs with magazines, some other rare handgun  mags, sks rifles.. everything really apart from an assault rifle. i left the place with an sks and 100 rounds for it, a makarov with 4 mags and some ammo, about 200 assault rifle rounds and a mag in case i stumbled upon the rifle later. it felt surreal walking away from that place knowing i just left hundreds if not thousands of rounds behind while usually whenever i need ammo i never find some of the right caliber.

from there i made my way to green mountain where, much to my suprise, nothing eventfull happened. i had to go so i logged out in the bushes across the road from the gate.. with a wipe incoming i think i'll head to cherno next time to spend some of this ammo on pvp.. if i survive logging in at the cursed mountain that is

Well- not a great day out for my pub guy... Was in an overwatch on Berezino and was looking for a busier server at a weird time. Bounced through one where all 9 guys in it had a tag similar to the name of the public server- Turned out they liked the spot I was in since they had set up camp about 100m behind where I spawned in. Took me a minute to see them mind you- a reminder to ALWAYS go to ground and check your surroundings! 

Anyway- they went off after a couple Zeds and shot a cow they were chasing- then rummaged around. I think there were 4 of them. I was ghillied up and thought it would be fun to stalk them a bit but never had any intention of killing. Unfortunately I've also found that I can't hear people talking to me in direct chat and can't see their typing- found that out while running with Schwabam in the private server. Weird. Anyway- one of the guys came right up on my character from behind and sort of stood over me... I immediately stood up and put my hands on my head figuring I was done for anyway but who knows- But by the time I found the F2 key the guy ran off towards the camp. The camp had a stack of bags and a tent, and a fire burning. They rummaged around a bit- and I backed off hoping to avoid further detection but in the back of my mind I wrote the character off. Instead, they kicked me off the server. Clearly a clan using their own server to gear up... Do I report them? Shame them? I don't know what the proper protocol is so I put it out there.

Moved onto another pub that got busy REAL fast and after quite some time watching someone came over to the salvage lot. I was watching him with interest but wasn't going to shoot. Somehow he locked onto me while I was peeking from around a tree about 300 meters away. I thought it was interesting how he was just drifting along without a movement animation... He then came towards me and stopped at the base of the hill I was on.  Then he cycled through some weapons- it looked like he entered an endless cycle animation... probably half a dozen or more times- then he came at me. Of course I flailed like a noob and started shooting but had my free view on which was useless... 

Anyway- dead. 

So another one bites the dust- Seemed a bit weird that he was floating around like that while I'm at 80 ping but I don't want to cry haxor. I was in a server at capacity around Berezino, however... so not impossible. The guy clearly knew what he was doing better than  I did... so maybe he was just good? 

A bit choked at that clan that was obviously just hoarding a bunch of gear to jump off into pub matches just west of Berezino hospital. Anyone wants to go ransack their camp drop me a line and you can burn it to the ground. Tell them Eno says hi. 

Well- not a great day out for my pub guy... Was in an overwatch on Berezino and was looking for a busier server at a weird time. Bounced through one where all 9 guys in it had a tag similar to the name of the public server- Turned out they liked the spot I was in since they had set up camp about 100m behind where I spawned in. Took me a minute to see them mind you- a reminder to ALWAYS go to ground and check your surroundings! 

Anyway- they went off after a couple Zeds and shot a cow they were chasing- then rummaged around. I think there were 4 of them. I was ghillied up and thought it would be fun to stalk them a bit but never had any intention of killing. Unfortunately I've also found that I can't hear people talking to me in direct chat and can't see their typing- found that out while running with Schwabam in the private server. Weird. Anyway- one of the guys came right up on my character from behind and sort of stood over me... I immediately stood up and put my hands on my head figuring I was done for anyway but who knows- But by the time I found the F2 key the guy ran off towards the camp. The camp had a stack of bags and a tent, and a fire burning. They rummaged around a bit- and I backed off hoping to avoid further detection but in the back of my mind I wrote the character off. Instead, they kicked me off the server. Clearly a clan using their own server to gear up... Do I report them? Shame them? I don't know what the proper protocol is so I put it out there.

Moved onto another pub that got busy REAL fast and after quite some time watching someone came over to the salvage lot. I was watching him with interest but wasn't going to shoot. Somehow he locked onto me while I was peeking from around a tree about 300 meters away. I thought it was interesting how he was just drifting along without a movement animation... He then came towards me and stopped at the base of the hill I was on.  Then he cycled through some weapons- it looked like he entered an endless cycle animation... probably half a dozen or more times- then he came at me. Of course I flailed like a noob and started shooting but had my free view on which was useless... 

Anyway- dead. 

So another one bites the dust- Seemed a bit weird that he was floating around like that while I'm at 80 ping but I don't want to cry haxor. I was in a server at capacity around Berezino, however... so not impossible. The guy clearly knew what he was doing better than  I did... so maybe he was just good? 

A bit choked at that clan that was obviously just hoarding a bunch of gear to jump off into pub matches just west of Berezino hospital. Anyone wants to go ransack their camp drop me a line and you can burn it to the ground. Tell them Eno says hi. 

I was once in a gun fight at the NWAF and saw a guy just gliding along the ground - his legs weren't moving at all on my screen.  After the fight (we won - yay!) I checked with my friends and they both said that on their screens he was animated correctly, legs moving and running as normal.  I also get the endless weapon cycling animation and\or invisible gun issue quite a lot on my own character.  So I doubt he was hacking - besides, they tend (from reading these forums a lot) to be more likely to teleport, mess up your inventory, play the crying sound effect and generally just act like 5 year old children. rather than spot you and then beat you in a gun fight.  

Re the guys kicking you from their server - yes report them.  I can be a really miserable pedantic so and so (don't believe me, just ask my wife) and I have recorded myself joining servers with descriptions like "join=kick" and then, when I do get kicked I send the replay of me getting kicked, with the player list displayed, to the server host.  Yes, the replies I get are just copy and paste auto responses but I reckon they DO contact the server admins - and you know why I say that?  Because I am also a stubborn old git and when I report a server I note down the IP and port and then I go back to check it in a few days - the server description has always been fixed and several of them have been offline completely after being reported.  And once I have a server in my list I will check again and again so when the admin thinks it's safe to abuse it and breaks the rules again I'll find out, reopen my ticket and report them again.  I will win, if only because they will get bored before me.

• Like 1

I went to Balota airfield adn as I'm scoping the place out with my longhorn I see a bambi come running past me . He doesnt spot me so i just look for a while as he's looting. I decide to leave as i don'ty want to kill anyone. After walking west for a bit I become curious so I check in on the bambi. He has moved up to the hangars and met some friends. They run around for a while wailing with axes until one shoots him point blank. I feel a bit sad for him an decide to follow these two for a bit. I wait, then as I'm starting to move, I notice that theres a guy lying in the grass only ten metres from me. He doesnt seem armed or hostile so I leave. As I'm leaving I hear a truck arriving. As I watch it I see the two murderers come running towards it. It quickly speeds away.

That was the most interesting thig that happened yesterday. I met some other people but not one tried to kill me, which was nice.