shutupwalter

How was your Day(Z)?

A friend o mine, who likes to alt+tab in the middle of a road to check the map, wanted to check the new NW locations, so we joined a low pop (around 10 players) private shard.

We were heading towards the abondoned mil. base. As we arrive there, i park myself in one of the spots i find quite OP, when it comes to cover and camo.

My friend continues looting the base untill we head for the small pound to have a drink.

Obviously, just when we do that, i notice a guy entering a prison. Im thinking of rushing and closing the prison doors, trying to talk it out, when i see another guy entering the prison. Alright, at least two of them. This is gonna be harder to negotiate,plus, shortly after i lost the track of the 2nd guy and i know he's not inside anymore.

I hope for the best; that they will magicaly not go towards water to drink an refill. Im thinking what  to type in global chat, so we can all come out alive.

I finaly see them regroup infront of the prison as im hidding in the concrete small corner next to the lake in my ghillie. Well...fml they're heading towards water. Its only a couple of metres between me and the first guy.I was seconds before standing up with my magnum aiming at them telling them to freeze.But...

All the sudden he stops and starts walking backwards behind the trees. He might have seen my compensator sticking out, idk, his movement didnt seem natural. At this point im certain he knows something is wrong.Too late to make friends now, i wield my magnum and wait. I see the other guy immidiately trying to make a flanking maneuver. i knew if he comes too far on my right he will get a perfect shot on me - if he spots me.

I pre-aim the corner and wait. Not being proud of it, but i take him down immidiately i felt like he spotted me - he went prone and pulled out his primary in my direction, idk if he actualy saw me, bu his intentions could not be harmless.

I dont move a muscle.Now i know the 2nd guy is either infront of me or tried flanking his side. Somehow, i hope he will try to go for the friends body, so i can just disarm him instead of killing. As long as i could provide us a safe exit, he can keep everything.And you never know if there's a third guy either. As im reloading my magnum i get that laggy magazine/drum thing and cant really reload... this is really bad timing -.-  Im trying to explain my friend where to keep an eye out for him ,as i tried to make my magnum work again.

The 2nd guy indeed tried to flank us from the other side as I expected (very good job man, it might have been ingame sound bugs or you actualy rolled all around and we failed to spot u). He kills my friend but fails to spot me.

I look at him and notice he doesn't even know im here.what.the.hell. -why did he run away from the lake if he didnt know im there. You dont mistake a gilie sniper for an sks helmet guy either. i raise my magnum and aim at his head. he looks down my friends body.I give him a second to realise the mistake & to look up at me...

i was genuinely sorry when i pulled the trigger. It was just me left in the middle of three bodies. the wind blowing breaks the silence, i hide bury my friends body & move out of this deserted place.

Sorry guys, i tried to make contact, but once u ran right into my direction, ran off and started flanking the ruins i was hidding in, i felt really endengared. Im sure you didnt flank my position in the middle of mil base just to talk either, but, just in case you did; sowwy.

P.S.S one of you was dressed exactly like the dude who was sniping on vybor military base a day earlier on the same server. We got in a little hilarious fight ontop of the hill spotting each other 5m apart just minutes before server restart :)

Edited by halp

Very nice day. I'm usually playing more of a bandit style right now, but, what do you know: I met a friendly

guy who helped making me a splint. We teamed up and after just two-three minutes we met two other guys

who also wanted to join our group. Completely random people, anyone could have decided to kill the other,

but we all just fall in love i guess :D . We added each other on steam and had a blast as a group:)

Edited by StayAlive
  • Like 1

^ Looking forward to those experiences. 

Didn't have a great day last night since SBJ and I were able to get in game together again (I work away from home)... He was still where we left off and I'd been all over the place so he spent some time collecting resources and making his way to the east side. My intro to overwatch wasn't so great- I'm not exactly sure how it happened but SBJ started getting chased by a zombie and I said "hold my beer and watch this!" So I took aim at the zombie in chase- he was leading it by about 20 feet or so and they were about 500m. Now that my arm isn't broken anymore I figured that would be like shooting a house. 

Take aim... hold my breath... fire. 

"You shot me!" he shouts from over my shoulder. His screen is grey and all his equipment (bandages / rags etc) is wrecked. WTF? Not only was I aiming WAY behind him, but I also made a rookie mistake and forgot to adjust my zero- I was still shooting 200. 

No idea what happened- I told him I was pretty sure I didn't shoot him but all the evidence pointed to the fact that I did. I sprinted down the hill and he finished off the zombie the old fashioned way... Then just as I came over to give him a rag to patch himself out he went unconscious. I tried to bandage him myself (and I did) but he stayed unconscious. I didn't have any epi... and neither did he- though even after he died (according to his screen) all I could do was inspect his gear. I couldn't take any of it. Perhaps because it was ruined? I don't know. 

So that was his character wasted... probably by me. Ugh. 

Spent the rest of the evening trying to head south to meet up with him.  I think he's spawned almost exclusively at Elektro and Cherno... I don't think I've ever spawned down there. 

Weird. 

Another frustrating thing has been happening lately regarding the zeds. At one point a couple took off after a cow in the field I was camped out beside- probably 10 layers of trees back from the treeline. The cow goes off on its escape and evasion routine and probably just randomly ended up coming straight for me. It veered off with 2 zeds in tow- I was prone and completely motionless and in a ghillie pushed up against a tree. Instead of continuing on after the cow that is still running around in full motion, both branch off and head after me. Was kind of expecting it (mr. Murphy) so I'd already got my axe ready. 

Also... this whole rumor that you can "break contact" with zombies by breaking line of sight and then stopping when they go into search mode is rubbish. I can't count how many times I'll have caught a launch, killed the zed... gone off to my shelter and 5 minutes later or more I've got zeds coming in on me from multiple directions. I doubt it's because they're spawning in on me close enough to see me laying on the ground motionless- 

Anyway- for those reading just be aware to keep your eyes and ears open for awhile after contact is made. 

Today I just ran into town for some food and get topped up with bandages / rags. It's quiet in there today so I'll probably just lay low. 

Great stories above, btw... Glad to see I'm not the only one whose having a blast in there!

• Like 1

Had an intense few moments in game today... 

We were talking about those opportunities where you have someone cross your path and unbeknownst to them you let them pass. They'll likely never know you were even there. Maybe they read one of these stories and say- hey wait a minute... that was ME! 

I was working around the area I've chosen to bed down on and was performing my self assigned overwatch duties- just scanning my area for bandits and freshies tangling with zombies etc. I am pretty well off with supplies so I just sort of tucked in and checked out a few vantage points, recorded some distances with the range finder and just kind of enjoyed the scenery. I expected to be there for awhile but no matter, I kept myself entertained. 

The server was busier than what I'm used to so I paid a little closer attention than usual and I'm glad I did. It was only a couple minutes before someone entered my line of sight. He was carrying an orange backpack and headed out of view pretty quickly. Not 2 minutes later a group of 4 appeared from the same direction. A few of them had long guns out but they looked like either long shotguns or maybe Mosins. They were dressed conservatively- nothing teched out that I could see. Normal coloured drybags and civ clothes. 

I watched them with curiosity- Just a group of guys hanging out, helping each other out? Bandits waiting around a corner so someone could stumble into them? Not sure- but boy did I watch them carefully. They ran into one building together and I could see them making their way up the staircase. Are they going to sit up there and snipe at folks? More importantly are they going to sit up there and snipe at freshies or are they going to do what I'm doing? 

I noticed a zombie come racing in from the right and ended up going up the ramps after them. Pretty sure they had that well in hand so I let that play out. A couple minutes passed and most of the guys had moved back down the ramp and were unseen in the hospital- but this one guy stayed on the roof. "I've got my eye on you, buddy" I thought to myself as I tracked his movements. He zigzagged a couple times... then FELL OFF THE ROOF! It was almost comical to watch his buddies all make their way outside... a few of them could be seen looking up at the roof... then around... then back up at the roof. They waited there in the back courtyard of the building for probably 10-15 minutes... spending plenty of time standing still where I got some aiming practice in. I didn't shoot- but I have to practice sometime, right?! 

A couple of them left for a bit- leaving one guy behind the building. He ran around aimlessly for awhile... The other guys returned and they carried on about their business. I WISH I'd had a neat place to hide closer to them so I could hear the conversation. A few more minutes passed and a freshie comes running up from the coast... Well, here we go- what's going to happen now? A hold up? Murder? Is this their buddy returned after his flight lesson to grab his gear?

Seemed to be the latter. There was lots of looking up at the roof of the building... running around... They eventually headed south together, stopped off at a nearby well and then the server restarted. Not sure who you guys were or what you were up to but if you ever end up reading this I sure hope you were just a bunch of guys working through the motions and not some group of D-Bags I should have executed wholesale.

I'm not a great shot- but I wouldn't have had to be.

• Like 1

<snip>

lol, that's unlucky.....but also quite funny.  Hope your buddy wasn't too mad! ;-)

re the zeds...yeah, I know exactly what you mean - sometimes I can see one as a speck in the distance, hundreds and hundreds of metres away but he'll still look up in my direction, even though I am crouched and not moving, then he'll go aggro and charge me.  Legit...   And yes, I often see the infected running after animals - very amusing and adds to the danger of being away from town where you wouldn't normally expect to see them.  The flip side is you can run towards animals youself and get infected who were chasing you to follow them instead.

Regarding breaking contact with them - yes, it's always a very good idea to be very cautious after you think they have lost contact.  You might start accessing your inventory or something only to find it's still coming after you.  The trick (well it works for me at least) to lose contact is to remember how they hunt - if they can see you they will follow you, if they cannot they will stop and listen.  So breaking line of sight is just the first step in the process.  You then either need to go silent, or keep moving away but repeatedly break line of sight so the infected keep stopping to listen and gradually fall further and further back until they cannot hear you.

I think the mistake a lot of people make when running and breaking line of sight is that they zig zag too violently\extremely and keep re-establishing line of sight themselves. 

Enjoying your stories ENO75 - keep em coming :thumbsup:

Well, just applied to Beck's Privateers, so will be interesting to see how it goes.

Looks like a great community by what I have read/seen to far :)

Edited by StayAlive

Almost killed my first person last night. I didn't have a bunch of time to play but I ended up getting back together with ZombieHunter210 (Formerly SBJ). I scouted the area for him as he approached Berezino and everything looked clear. It wasn't too busy in the server so we didn't anticipate any trouble. I didn't see anyone at the time so he came in and took a look around to get familiar with the area. We agreed it was perfect. A couple of wells close by, very prominent landmarks to help us navigate around quickly and efficiently- good access to a market... What's not to like?! 

He'd had to run for about 15 minutes straight to close the distance between us so once he was done with that he helped me with some "spotting" exercises to confirm my "overwatch" positions and then stepped out. I decided to up the ante a bit and went into a busier server to perform my duties. I spawned into a 29/30 server and within about a minute saw a guy with a ghillie hood sniping from on top of a building nearby! Oh really? My palms started to sweat as I zoomed in on him and watched him for a few seconds. I JUST got centered on him when he stood up and headed over to a ladder, then started to descend. He was warping a bit and I didn't want to expose myself by shooting and missing. Unfortunately he then moved out of my view. I scoured the area for him but didn't see him again... 

Next time... 

Well... I guess I had it coming- skulking around in the forest the way I was. I'd hooked up with ZH for awhile and we were doing our thing. Saw a couple people while ZH was in the hospital but it looked like they were being chased by zeds into a more distant part of Berezino- we didn't interfere. 

I crashed and ZH decided to log out- but I went back in just to monitor things. As I watched, I figured I'd continue to explore the area I was in to find different vantage points and record some distances. I made my way across- quite some distance from the treeline... 

YOU ARE DEAD.

So I ended up near Solnichniy as a freshie... sprinted back to Berezino to see if I could scavenge ANY of my stuff- As I approached the factory I picked up a couple zeds and just kept running... sort of hoping I'd bump into someone with some better weapons to help me knock them out. I had a crowbar and while it's okay, I had 3 and eventually 4 in tow. I cut through the factory to the tracks and there was another guy running around on the tracks! Perfect! I called out to him and said hey! I'm fresh and I have a bunch of trouble following me! He promptly drew an axe and started waving it around at various zeds- knocking them out. I took out one as well. I asked him where he was headed when things calmed down and he said he was waiting for a friend. Sounded a bit younger. I told him I'd just been assassinated over at Berezino so I was headed back there. I thanked him for the help and we went our different directions.

On the way I stopped in Niznoye (sp) knowing there is a well there and while I was looting the diner I got shot at. I ran away zigzagging and trying to cover myself with obstructions but looking over my shoulder I couldn't see anyone following me. I made a big circle around and headed over to the well. I sat around the corner from the well for a minute, looking around for any movement at all. I didn't see any- so I decided to go against my gut and went to the well. 

"Well hello there" said a character who came out of the trees... 

"Hi. I'm fresh so you're not going to get much from me." 

"Meet my friend Maximilian," the guy with a long rifle of some sort said... I looked over my other shoulder and there was a guy with what looked like an SKS painted black. He had a balaclava on- uh oh. 

I put my hands up and they told me they wanted to check my pockets. Not sure exactly how to do that- I figured I'd just take my stuff off. Max said his handcuffs weren't working- but he also mentioned he had a key and not to worry.

"Were you the guys who shot at me at the diner?" 

"Yes, you startled us... but I saw you didn't have a gun so I didn't chase." 

"Ah!" 

Then he said: 

"I can open your cans for you." 

"Yes please. I've just spawned and sprinted from down south so I'm quite hungry and thirsty." They opened my cans and put them back... 

Thank you to Maximilian and your friend! 

I sprinted back to the spot where I'd been killed and scanned everywhere in that area I could for my gear- but it was gone... Sigh. 

On one hand that's good since now I can get back in action and do my thing. On the other hand, there's hours of accumulating netting, burlap and paint... Ah well. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 1

Today was quite an eventful day, and strange. I played on the WOBO server like I often do and logged in outside Kamenka military bse, kinda sursprised as when the server crashed last time I was in the next village. Still, as I start to move I almost instantly hear someone shooting nearby. I run into the nearest building, close the door and take shelter. Soon I hear someone outside and I'm shot dead. Now this is strange because I was shot through one of these windows earlier so to avoid that I lay on the floor nearest the wall. The dorr next to me was closed yet someone could see me and shoot me.

Kinda annoyed I respawned in Elektro. There was a lot of shooting there and a newspawn attacked me with an axe but I managed to shake him among the houses. As I'm crawling in the bushes outside town watching people move about I am shot.

I respawn outside Kambiwobo. I find some gear and a mallet. Outside Kambiwobo I see two people so I go around them. I hear someone call out in a voice from Metro 2033(guy mustve been using a soundboard) and hear some shots. I wait for a bit then sneak out. A guy is looting two corpses. I sneak up on him and bash his skull in with my mallet. I take his stuff.

I go to Elektro and theres still shooting there so i go around it. Halfway to cherno I meet a nice german fellow who I tag along. As we are making a fire in a barn three other guys join i, then one more and then another. We eat and banter around the campfire and all have a jolly old time. We decide to go to cherno, the server restartsbut I manage to find them again. Then some guy floating around and playing music ruins the party so I logout.

Still, a nice moment among the bloodshed:

2w731gw.jpg

• Like 2

joined a random private shard i havent visited before. met a really nice freshspawn and we head together towards berezino.

It's nice having someone to talk random stuff when you're walking down the road, careless.

Soon after we encountered another freshy who joined us. It didnt take us 5 minutes untill we bumped into an armed group who acted friendly, just so they could kill the other two bambies, who were naive enough to stop moving. I ran in a bush and started stalking them all the way back to solnichy. They encounter another freshspawn. two start hunting him and the third was keeping it back to provide cover with his firearm. im only some 5 metres away from him now. He gives me a perfect chance as he starts eating. I rush in his face and start punching his face. "remember me, bitch??"

sadly, those punches werent enough to knock him down, so i ran off the second i saw switching weapon animation.

They loose a track of me.Again.God damn newbie lamers, i always encounter them as a freshy.

I start stalking them again. I ambush them a few times more, but now they're all wearing helmets and firearms.

I decide to just annoy them and run around them like the most annoying mosquito you ever encountered.

They shoot like crazy bt fail to hit me every single time. One of them actualy starts begging me to gtfo.

"that's what you get for killing newspawns" I annoyed them for a couple more minutes than let them kill me.

They start speaking german as im uncouncious. Im not really goot at deutsch but i defenately understood that they will be heading back north.

Server restart.

I call up my buddy and we decide to it's time for some peeveepee. Got myself a bow and gave my friend a trusty Magnum.We ran all the way from elektro and finaly met the fuckers in svetlo square.

I immidietely caught their attention but unfortunately my fps dropped to a marvel comic rate so i could only draw fire. They all focus on me as my friend flanks them.I died. But so did they. 30 seconds, 5 dead bodies. 1 bow for 1PSU SKS, repeater and two shotties. was satisfied looking at all those 4 ruined drybags. Worth dying. The sight of all the bodies at square was horrifying tho  :D

Edited by halp
  • Like 1

I keep going on busy servers but rarely see anyone?

I even act as bait sometimes, but very rarely see anyone.  Walking up the middle of roads and shooting zombies.

Edited by Swither

Murphy is strong with DayZ

People are like loot in this game. Got .357 ammo ? no magnum for the next 5 villages.

Remember that Makarov you dropped 10 minutes ago? Say hi to makarov magazines in every piano house you will enter.

Want to meet some people by going thru middle of cherno,berezino and novi? Sorry, everyone is at stary jar.

Dont want to meet anyone ?

DayZYouAreDead.jpg

Most of encounters i ever had were completely unexpected.

Edited by halp
  • Like 1

If you want to meet people you need to go where girls are, Elektro Cherno and Solnichy/Berezino. Theres usually some KoS:er sby Svet and Novo too.

If you want to get shot, go to NW airfield and Vybor military base.

If you want to meet people you need to go where girls are, Elektro Cherno and Solnichy/Berezino. Theres usually some KoS:er sby Svet and Novo too.

If you want to get shot, go to NW airfield and Vybor military base.

Murphy is strong with DayZ

People are like loot in this game. Got .357 ammo ? no magnum for the next 5 villages.

Remember that Makarov you dropped 10 minutes ago? Say hi to makarov magazines in every piano house you will enter.

Want to meet some people by going thru middle of cherno,berezino and novi? Sorry, everyone is at stary jar.

Dont want to meet anyone ?

Most of encounters i ever had were completely unexpected.

Not want to get KOS, but would be good to have people to avoid in the first place!  Will hang around those areas and see what happens.  Oh and never seen anyone at NW airbase, got killed on the way back once but weeks ago.

Edited by Swither

If you get a cherno spawn, run for dubky& novoselky than continue

Chapevsk prison->Balota AF->Pavlovo mil Base->Start looking for heli spawns->Zeleno mil base->Green mountain Prison->Vybor mil  Base->NWEAF

If you're not doing it on an empty server, this should do the trick. You might add the far north mil base aswell. Thx to the new little NW towns, the base is not so lonely anymore.

This is another option.I find Novi pretty KOSish aswell.You're almost guaranteed to see people travelling if you monitor the popular beach route cherno<->elektro<->kamyshovo<->solnichy<->Berezino

Edited by halp

Well- not going to lie... we had a match last night that tested my patience. 

ZH210 and I were working around our normal area in Berezino... I was having some crash trouble and he did as well and somewhere in the middle of him being in and me coming back online he stumbled into someone. He was dressed pretty normally- like a scavenger, not like a soldier. Now, keep in mind, ZH is pretty young so he does his best to communicate. He offered the other guy something and it was established pretty quickly that the other guy was friendly. I think he was bleeding and ZH quickly offered him some rags. ZH mentioned that I was coming in and the other guy (you told me your name and I forgot after what eventually happened) mentioned he had a friend too. We were scoping out the hospital and the grocery store when I got kicked and that was generally where all this went down. 

I finally got in and to my surprise was being mauled by zeds almost immediately and ran away since I only had a crowbar. I knew my general area and headed to the hospital so the group could help get them off my tail. I could hear from over my shoulder that the other guy's friend had arrived and they were sorting each other out. I came running up out of nowhere trying to tell them that I had zombies chasing me- The new guy was challenging me as I approached and I could see him standing off. I was trying to hit the direct chat key as I ran but kept hitting shift tab instead- kind of funny to watch, I imagine. 

I finally managed, "I'm with ZombieHunter! I'm his friend!" The guy stood down, urged us to be careful since there were 3 fire axes being plunged into zombie heads to and fro... I did what I could with my crowbar but quickly voted against getting too much into it since it forced me in closer- it wouldn't have taken much miscalculation to put an axe into me instead of a zed. 

When the coast was clear we had a bit of conversation. There was a name exchange (I've since forgotten) and some formalities. 

"I'm ENO... I'm in the forums quite a bit actually- not sure if you recognize the name?" 

"No- but we're in there quite a bit too. Just posted a pretty righteous (exact word escapes me) photo in there. You should look it up when we're done." 

"Yeah- sounds good. I put quite a few entries in the "how was your dayz" thread..." 

ZH said, "We were heading up to the NWAF... we were going to grab some supplies here and then head up there." One of them replied that sounded great. 

"Hey guys-" the friend said. "I'm freezing right now... let's get out of sight and build a fire. Anyone have matches?"

ZombieHunter says he does and we agree to scope out the grocery store first before moving into the hills. They found a dry bag and the guy recommended I grab it since it was perfect. 

We get up into the hills- in a little dimple that hid us from view in Berezino. I picked up a zed tail and then a second joined the fray. Fortunately all our guys were now armed with what they needed- I think I'd even found an axe by then. We hacked and slashed our way through to daylight and set forth bringing down a couple trees to light a fire. 

None of us were that familiar with what was required to light a fire and everyone had a bit of everything but nobody had all they needed. Seemed to be some confusion- but now I look back on it and it seemed like it might have been part of the play. 

One guy was walking ZH through the steps of creating thirds from logs and I was trying to combine my rags with the sticks when it happened. 

I don't know if we caught someone else's attention and they ambushed our group- or if these two guys turned on us and opened fire while we were distracted... I was killed almost instantly and ZH got a few shots off at someone. It was chaos. I was already dead so I looked over my shoulder to see who was shooting at us and he says "THIS GUY!" and pulled the trigger... the guy had a bandanna over his face- and it kind of looked like one of the guys we had been with? I couldn't tell but what I could tell was that the guy was shooting. ZH put a few rounds into him in desperation but then he was knocked unconscious to eventually die. 

I'm putting this out there in hopes that the guys we were with read it and can confirm one way or the other if "that's just the way the game is played, dude" or "Holy cow that was chaos, we were ambushed and rounds were flying all over the place! No idea what happened... we all had to fresh spawn." 

Either way- I hope if the story gets through to them I hope they'll come clean since it'll really enlighten me to what just happened. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Like 3

This way my DayZ yesterday....

Having recently discovered a tanker's helmet:

300px-Tanker01.png?version=a4aaa92c858af

which was a big thing for me because I love tanks and had no idea this item of clothing was even in the game (first one I've seen in over 140 hours of playing).  I was acutely aware that death must be just around the corner, since it's not in DayZ's nature to give us stuff we like and let us keep it, so I took a few screen shots and, lo and behold, took a bullet to the face in the very next building I walked into.  Such is life, or rather death.

Now this was a pity, not just because I lost my most amazing discovery ever, but because this was my public character that I use when playing with friends, only now they were up North and I was down South.  Fortunately, they were offline so I managed to rebuild a reasonable character, even finding my first ever AK101.  By the time my friend logged in I was in Myshkino and fully kitted out, whilst he was in Toploniki.  We decided to head towards one another and I set off only to immediately discover a truck.  Lucky me!  I jumped in, started up the engine and crawled uphill until the terrian flattened out and I picked up speed.  I drove straight through Pustoshka, missing the left turn, and found myself driving towards Vybor, which was not ideal, but hey, no problem, my truck can handle a bit of grass,  I pulled off the road just before Vybor and skirted the South West edge of the town, rejoining the road as it left the West edge of town.  

Which is when disaster struck.

Suddenly, the truck stopped, and then sank into the ground, until only the roof of the cab was visible.  Already knowing what this meant I went through the motions and killed the engine, opened the door and pressed "get out".  I appeared, full of lfe and joy, next to the truck.  Wow, maybe I wasn't go to di..."You are dead"...e.  Oh, ok.  Sigh.

Respawn in Kamyshovo to find myself in the middle of a thunder storm and I'm am instantly soaked.  We're on a persistence enabled server with 4 hour restarts which has been up for 3 hours.  There's nothing in the town, nothing at all.  I decide to head for Msta, hoping to find something there, whilst my friend heads towards the site of my previous demise to see if he can find my gear.  He can't.  All my gear, including my first ever AK101, have vanished.

I jog up to Msta, cold and hungry all the way.  When I get there, it's the same story - nothing to be seen.  From an entire orchard of apple trees, I manage to scrounge a single, solitary apple.  I jog West to Staroye as my friend, carrying a few tins of precious food, converges on the town from the North West.  By the time I reach the Eastern edge of the town, where there are 4 buildings and a barn and the hope of some food, I am starving.  And still there is no food to be seen.  I walk to the police station, which usually has a lot of loot (and therefore a reasonable chance of at least 1 item of food), but the ground floor is empty.  I climb the stairs and the first floor is also empty and then I pass out. 

I start the stopwatch on my phone.  5 minutes and 20 seconds later my friend reaches town and finds my unconcious body lying in the front room on the first floor of the police station.  He force feeds me all the food he has, then leaves to scavenge the town for food.  He returns and force feeds me more food, another 3 cans or so, along with 2 full bottles of water.

27 minutes later, 27 minutes of looking at a black "I am unconcious" screen, we decide to pull the plug.  My friend finishes me off with a single bullet to the head.

I wake up in a forest and quickly establish that I'm just outside the Northern town of Svetlojarsk.  My friend isn't very happy to learn this.  He tells me to kill myself whilst he takes a quick break.  I run into town and start climbing a ladder onto the roof of what looks like a large office block.  My friend returns and complains that I'll probably only break my legs but I assure him that this building is definitely tall enough that I will not survive.  Typically, on the roof I find a Mosin which would be nice to keep but is of no use to me at this time.  I take a long run up and leap off the edge of the building into the sky.  For a few glorious seconds I am flying.  Then, I am standing on top of a tree which, unknown to me, was below this end of the office block.  I slowly slide off the tree and drop the last few feet to the ground.  For a few seconds I think that maybe, just maybe, this character cannot be killed before "You are dead" pops up.

I respawn in Nizhnoye, which is much better, and we agree to hook up in Berezino.  It's STILL raining (seriously, since my friend started playing about 2 weeks ago it's rained about 80% of the time we've played!) and I'm soaking and cold.  I reach Berezino quickly and start looting the place whilst waiting for my friend.  Finally, I start to find food, lots of it, but little in the way of clothing or weapons.  By the time my friend arrives I am freezing so we light a fire in the town's supermarket (it's too wet and windy to get it going outside) and balance our gear out.  It's nearly time for the server to restart so once I dry out we leave town and log out for the night.

Sad to lose the tanker helmet.  Disappointed to the lose the AK101.  Annoyed to starve to death.  Happy to meet my friend.  Anticipating a new adventure.

Edited by krazypenguin
  • Like 1

I'm away from home at the moment, but have started playing with a small group of fellow Survivors on a famous DayZ Youtubers Private Server.

Anyway, apart from playing with these chaps last time I was online, I bumped into two other players.

First one was a New Spawn running along the coast. I was heading from Electro to Cherno, when I saw a new spawn running towards me from Cherno. I had the double barrelled shotgun and wasn't sure whether he had any weapons. He'd seen me and started to run towards me, so I raised my gun and said "stop." He kept running so I aimed at him and this time shouted "STOP RUNNING TOWARDS ME!" He said "no" and as I sidestepped he turned and came towards me again, so I emptied both barrels into him. I don't KOS, like I say, I'm a survivor but I don't take chances. When I walked to his body, he had a screwdriver in his hand...

Second time, I was in Berenizo alone and walked into a building to find someone in a motorbike helmet with a repeater drawn. I ran across the road, up a flight of stairs and drew my shotgun. I heard footsteps and I shouted out "I don't want any trouble, walk away." The person said "friendly" and walked into the building, gun drawn. As I was peeking round the corner, he raised his gun at me, so I shot him twice with the shotgun. He ran out the building and I ran down the stairs, reloading. He lay on the road outside and said "I'm friendly" but I finished him off with a shot to the head. I gave him a chance to walk away and he aimed at me, so how did I know he wasn't going to shoot me in the back as I walked away?

I spawned in cherno, looked around the building for a while, empty. I hear a strange sound and a guy teleports into the room i'm in and shoots me. Third time I face a hacker on the Wobo server, all in Cherno.

Respawn in Solnichy, run to Vybor military base without incident. its baasically empty. I see a player in the distance that I follow for a while but he dissapears. I find a V3S and a fire nearby. Its empty ofcourse and no trap so i guess someone made the fire to find the car easier later. The server restarts so I give it up. Going for Green mt. later

Had a quiet night last night. I'm in a bit of a predicament since my laptop microphone isn't working I'm very limited in how much I can talk. As a result, I'm hanging back and trying to keep my distance from people. Time to practice some stuff- fishing... building a fire... maybe even shoot an animal and skin it... Nope, haven't done anything yet, really. 

ZH and I had spawned out near NEAF so I went back in and was really looking for a saw to cut down my shotgun. I do like how it's practically invisible under the backpack but I do understand that's why guys tell you to take it off when they're holding you up. I get it... and I suppose a part of showing good faith would be to explain to someone that you do have a loaded shotgun under the backpack... but then again it might be better to spend said time getting your fingers ready to draw it and start shooting. 

Anyway- found my saw in the prison of all places... after having checked every fricken shed in Krasnostov. Found some supplies at the local school and stuffed my face, then made my way back down to the NEAF. ZH and I had been there a few days ago so I figured I'd check it over. We left a couple notes laying around but have little hope anyone will read them. Who knows? 

I ran into the hangar and saw a truck in there- sitting purdy. No interest in driving that thing around since I'd rather catch a ball in a cup- but it was the first one I'd seen and yes of course I took a screenshot nobody will ever see. It's the little things, right? 

I was in a pretty active server but still never saw anyone. My last couple of incidents really soured my take on the gameplay overall. I have to admit I'm a little disappointed that guys who were "quite active" didn't shout out in this thread to give their side of the story. Kind of feel I know what that means...  

I am getting to know the area a bit more and getting a better feel for where water is located. There is a store in town as well. I think many of the guys who want to weaponize their character are aware by now that there really isn't that great a selection of weapons / equipment at the NEAF and that it isn't really worth the trip. There are some wrecked APCs there and some occasional military clothing but the only thing I've found there are some SKS and no ammo for them. (In my limited experience!)

One thing I've noticed about the ghilley and it's enormously disappointing is that a lot of the foliage that you would hide in that makes it beneficial doesn't render at distances so is very limited in its usefulness. I'm still accumulating burlap sacs since I'd like to give it another go- but I found the overwatch "hero" assignment (self established) difficult. Standing off at long range and trying to identify bandits vs normal folks was almost impossible unless you caught them in the act and my vantage point was VERY well concealed but had limited exposure.

I almost wish for opportunities to see how I was killed as a sniper to figure out what I did wrong- I keep looking at the videos for "sniper down in Berezino!" or something to that effect. I'd probably facepalm at my noobishness... Berezino is a hotbed and as I mentioned earlier on seeing a sniper decked out with mosin / compensator skulking around the hospital probably LOOKS bad. Makes it even more important to stay completely out of sight and have the discipline to stay in cover no matter how bored you get. 

Anyway- hope you guys are having good dayz out there... Just got to stick with it and see what I have in store for me tonight! 

Last night I saved a life.

Myself and DC were derping around, getting geared up having spawned on a new private server with a high pop. Due to our seperate spawn points Berezino was the obvious meeting point, despite the obvious dangers. We hit the town from different directions, only bothering with the higher loot locations and raiding at speed. DC heard shots in the lower part of the town towards the coast so we bugged out of the upper part of the town, heading South.

We hit the next town down where I found my first ever gas mask, albeit a damaged one. I'm always nervous about covering my face - there's something about a covered face that screams "threat" to me and I wonder if others feel the same. I will never wear a balaclava, for example. Still, I am wearing the gas mask for now since it's a novelty for me, but I know I won't keep it. We also manage to finally find a box of 7.62mm ammo which we split between us since we're both packing Mosins with PU scopes (not that a scope would ever help me to hit something) so now we can actually defend ourselves with something a little more effective than axes and bad language.

We move inland, raiding small towns in fast hit and run strikes. We don't see another soul but the infected are out in force and we dispatch dozens of them with our axes. We're now carrying enough food to feed an army of survivors. Meanwhile, another member of the group, Tom, has been heading down towards us from the North. He's had an interesting evening so far. He met an armed survivor wearing a motorcycle helmet and immediately surrended to him. This seemes to please the masked man as he indicated that Tom should follow him which he did. They proceeded to run up the coast, encountering 2 more survivors on the way both of which the masked gunman dispatched without fuss. Finally, he walked down to the beach, with Tom still in tow, stuck his gun under his chin and killed himself. Very strange behaviour. Tom simply grabbed all his stuff (including his motorcycle helmet which was still pristine, weirdly) and walked off.

Me and DC decide to try a place called "Altar" that's marked on my map. We go cross country to try and locate it but get lost. We run for a while before realising that we've completely missed it and passed well to the North of it. This navigational failure is frustrating since I'm usually good with a map but it does explain why so many people stick to the roads and paths, despite the dangers involved.

Tom's high speed run down from the North on a surprisingly hot and sunny Autumn day has taken it's toll on him. He's not packed sufficient water and has become dehydrated. In a panic he actually manages to miss a well and then gets chased by a bunch of aggroed infected. Failing to identify the primary danger, his red thirst bar, he burns the last of his energy sprinting and collapses to the ground. The infected shamble towards his prone body...

A quick but this time more thorough map check shows that our mistake could be Tom's salvation - we're only minutes from our agreed meeting place. We race across some fields and sweep the town until we see 2 people standing in the road. One looks to be an infected but the other is a survivor...what the hell? Tom is unconcious but still standing up with a zombie right next to him! We dispatch the zombie and I set about pouring water down Tom's throat, followed by tins of peaches. DC goes off to scavenge the town and runs into a house only to discover another survivor searching for supplies. Under pressure to make a snap decision and with a member of the group unconcious and another tending to him DC, who has a slighly different attitude to these things than I do*, feels he has no choice but to gun down the unfortunate man.

As one life is taken another is restored as Tom springs back into life. Perhaps I should become a medic? We strip the town completely and pause by the well to get ourselves back into shape, and give Tom a little time to recover. Then we set out to the North, passing sweeping fields, mighty forests and an imposing castle before descending onto our next target - the North East airfield. We've only come here due to a mix up in communications between myself and DC but we're here now so we may as well take a look. As we're are moving through the town DC sees a door open. We all crouch down, guns at the ready, but no one comes out. I move in slowly whilst the others cover me but there's no one here. The building has 2 other exits so it's possible that someone could have ducked out there, if there even was anyone...

We hit the airfield which is, pretty much as expected, basically barren and then make camp to the North East and call it a night.

*DC had already met and helped 3 other survivors this evening before we met up. He had also met a guy yelling "friendly" even as he was killing DC with an axe. He's more of a survivor than me but also more realistic and risk averse. With 2 of the 3 party effectively out of action this guy was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Like 1

Well I was somewhere in the NW area of the map looking for the airfield when I came across a blue truck/lorry, I'm not sure how rare these are but I've never seen anyone drive one before, Man they are so loud. You would be able to hear it from so far away, it was kinda slow but it was still a great experience. Anyway I came across a city by the coast (Not sure of the name) Just as I entered the city I ran out of gas so I left the truck there and went looking for a gas canister. I eventually found one and it was 55% full so I ran back towards the truck, I was a few metres from the truck when I turnt around to shoot a zombie, the second I shot him I got shot in the head by what I believe was a sniper. I was devastated but that's part of the game I guess. Good day of Dayz overall, I look forward to what tomorrow brings when I spawn in again :)

I've died roughly 7 times and haven't killed anyone yet. I might have to changes my ways as life being a friendly isn't really working out for me. Might try being a bandit for one life and see how it works out.

Edited by TehMJB

I had a bit of a relaxing day scouring the coast for netting after scouring the construction site near Berezino for some other useful supplies. I found some paint, a mosin, a compensator and the cherished LRS. A squirt of paint here, a dab of paint there... and I look like a VERY killable soul indeed. At this point, if I get KOS I basically write it off as my own fault since I know what that represents and still do it. Kind of encourages me to be a little more careful that usual... and today it paid off either for me or someone else. 

I have roughly 2/3rds of my needed supplies before I melt into the woods- When I first spawned in I was EXTREMELY fortunate to have arrived in a military depot of some sort in Novo and immediately found a high capacity vest- the OD / DPM variety. Of course it would so happen that I found a jacket as well- and went to put it on but couldn't. So I put the high cap vest down thinking I needed to have it off before putting the jacket on and the $%#$%#%g thing disappeared on me. Evaporated. So there I am with a jacket. @#%34g alpha. 

I was just looting some sheds on the NE edge of Berezino, coming back up along a wall alongside the tracks when I caught movement in the corner of my screen. This character- too far away to see clearly- bolted off towards the west up a road near the prison. To be honest, after watching in that area for awhile I thought it just might have been a zed launch- I never saw them again and didn't hear anything. I waited for a few minutes, scanning around and behind me but saw nothing so decided to continue with caution. I was keeping to the wall, anticipating a dart over the tracks into another industrial area. Then I caught more movement- this time I could see the character clearly... which meant he may have been able to see me. I'm pretty decked out right now and can take a fight to the enemy but I still stuck at this and not only don't have a functioning mic but also currently on wireless! 

I got out of LOS from him pretty quickly but was able to change my field of view to see him over the nearby wall. I stayed motionless as he moved past a small opening between a house and the wall I was hiding along- trying to be still to avoid detection. I wasn't getting any impression from him that he'd seen me- he just jogged across the tracks towards the west and then carried on to the next row of houses and out of sight. He had an orange or red backpack on and for some reason I'm thinking a cowboy hat or tan booney hat. I ducked down and went prone behind a metal frame and free viewed so as to not move my body as I searched for him in the windows of the nearby homes. I eventually did see him moving through the upstairs. He moved around up there a little then out of sight for good. 

Obviously I have no idea who it was- considering the small number of people on the server I was surprised to run into him so quickly. Once I cleared that area I started making my way over to Rify... 

Just had two awesome days of dayz experience. I was playing mostly my archers on both WOBO servers and selbstjustiz.

I broke my cowgirls legs in Factory between Polana and Orlovetz...fml. Tried making splint for two days but i kept getting the same animation bug as always.

I gave up. F11. Is it just me, or commiting suicide in this game is WAY harder than clicking "took an easy way out" in GTAV ? It's like my actions have a far bigger weight(?) and I always feel a bit weird after doing it. Anyway, I got spawn in Kamishowo, which is like, probably my least favourite spawn of them all. Strangely enough, it was not looted yet, so i got my archer up and ready in no-time.

I see two people comming down the road. One immidiately raised his hand and did a QEQE greet. I did the same. I press ctrl for swag walk and start walking towards them on the middle of the road. So do they. Damn, i was laughin so hard. We greet each other and move into a house, just so we avoid being cannon fodder. One of them was Kim Jong Il.. IV ? I offered them food and got a nice red balaclava as a gift. The great leader also fancied my bow. They were a really pleasant change. I was going to give him my bow but this is dayz so... server restart.

I joined WOBO.I died the second i climb up the castle tower. stupid leg bugs -.- Anyway, i spawned at Pik Kozlova and head towards elektro 'cos im kinda tired of insta cherno gear. I met two guys right on the corner of Pik, medium geared. They offered me some food and stuff and asked me for matches. Sadly i had none. One of  them asked me for my shoes.

Still not being shot in the face i give him my shoes and he tries them on.

"blah, not my number, you can keep 'em"

haha, alrighty.Thanks for the giggles.

I move towards Elektro. I hear some distant gunshots but nothing serious. The city was pretty much looted so I continued my way up to berezino. I run straight for the car dump near the pub. Im desperately looking for a rope to make myself a bow when i see, just behind the pub, a fellow archer practising his aim at zombies. I run straight at him in  way you could tell i had a hit on him, but didnt do it.It seems he acknowledged that since he lowered his bow. I greet him and ask him for a rope. He doesn't have one, but he insisted that i take his bow. I couldnt do that so i wished him nice hunting and decided its time for some cow chasing.

This was stable, not experimental and i must say when it comes to animal AI on stable, those cows are god damn geniuses. You can tell they were born in berezino since they know the streets better than i do. I have no problem chasing down goats, hell even chickens, but berezino cows in particular..my god.I finaly get my hand on its guts and make myself a bow. I check the xmas tree and find some teddy SKS ammo. Knowing SKS is probably the most common weapon drop in the game i decide to keep them. On my way down to city centre ( at least thats how i call the the church,corner house and hospital crossroad near police station) I pick up an mp shottie just to shoot some zombs. As i approach piano house i see a guy axing a zombie. I run straight at him with my shottie out.

I was getting bored at that point so i went straight to the point "Hi, don't worry, do you want my shotgun?"

"no, not really, do you want my SKS?" - na, thx

At that point i hear several shots passing/flying by. I tell him to run away.It got a bit confusing.  Anyway, we ran into the shed and i ask him to bandage me, i wasnt 100% its not his friends shooting at me only. As he's bandaging me he says he thought it was me shooting. He seems pretty legit so i drop my shotgun and tell him to pick it up. I wield my bow.

He starts laughin'. Seriously, a BOW? I was like "yeah i dont care, all i need is one good drop, take the shottie".

I was on my crap i7 laptop at the time so i rather gave him  the better weapon since i have really low chances of survival with my fps.

Than i remembered... dude...take back your SKS i have something for you.

I drop him teddy bears. Xmas came early this year. He was rather amazed to see one. We get ready and try to pinpoint where the shots were comming from.

Shortly after we move out in the direction of apartment buildings and the huge barn. We stay for a little while as we noticed a geared player checking up the location we originaly ran to in order to bandage. We go back, trying to close the gap and move in. As we reach half way we hear mosin shots from behind. Again.We have no visual. A wild bambi appears. Shooting continues. We monitor the area and try to decide on our next move... My game froze. I try to relog ASAP. i get in, alive. The guy i met probably saw me in logging off animation and left.

I open up the global chat and thank him for not killing me/protecting me since i know there was a bambi who could easily knock me out. I hope he was near enough to catch the msg. I was happy i got a chance to team up with someone immidiately in order to survive.

Days like these really enrich my dayz experience.

Joined some 50/50 private cz server. Apperantly i played before since my char is already geared up. I've no idea where i was, but my guess is I was approaching Khelm from Krsno airport. On my way there i hear tons of gunshots on my left, some 200m at max.Sounded like an SKS. I lay down and start monitoring the area. Than it happend. I start getting invisible punches right in my head. Luckily i had gorka helmet so the punches had little effect .. apart from me panicking the shit out of myself. I start running away. Well, finaly a cheater.Or maybe just a lucky guy bugging out becoming invisible (happend to my friend) For some super logical reasons i start being chased by zombies (seriously zeds, theres a guy firing like crazy and you go for me <-< ) .I move into some dense bushes to finnish them off. As im axing them im pretty sure the invisible guy is near me since i can hear another pair of footsteps. I hear the reloading sound. Well fuck.I figure that the shots i heard was probably a player who died due to this invisible guy. after i kill the zombies im still swinging my axe randomly turning around, hoping i get a lucky hit on him. Than, from a bush right behind me, steps out an M4 guy and opens fire at my back. He fails and starts reloading after 10 rounds?Someone forgot to refill his magazine... i start hitting him with my axe but for some reason 3 swings right in his head didnt do anything. He opens fire again and kills me. God dammit. I was gonna ask him for help, but he was a complete KOS horder idiot. You could tell by his precious gear & openning fire behind my back.

"just so you know, you caught me running from an invisible dude and im pretty sure you're next"

But AFAIK he can't hear me after i get the death screen so yeah. Tought luck, im pretty sure he was next.

Warpigs private server.This happend at least a week ago but it was hilarious. Killed Mr.Moon. after he killed my friend. Pretty sure it was not THE Mr.Moon. (he's murican aight? the server is UK one)  Buddy got svetlo spawn. He met a fresh spawn. I ask him to to try out the luck and call him "Mr.Moon" and ask him if he just died in abandoned military base. He indeed was :D

"how do you know?" he asked him. My friend, being a terrible liar said he was a third party who witnessed it all and than got killed.

Sure, that's how you know his name, right? The guy didnt buy it and killed him :D Im pretty sure he checked his pulse before i killed him so he must knew :D

Hilarious watching him as a freshspawn on my friends monitor just a minute after i killed him.

P.S sorry for killing you, i really wanted to talk it out untill u two started flanking us, thus expressing your desire for violent actions against me and my friend :)

Edited by halp

I don't "THINK" I've encountered a hacker yet- though I've always been suspect of eating the green wiener in the middle of the woods... I took a look at that "concentration" thread and a lot of folks have died in that treeline- presumably because it's sniper alley...

Good story though Halp... I just keep hoping that ZH and I hang onto the "good spirits" long enough to survive this KOS spree. Those few quick interactions I've had with guys just playing the game and enjoying the experience are still worth a passive approach. Thing is, I imagine if someone sees me in my gorka outfit, a camo'd mosin, a fire axe, a chest holstered .357 and carrying a sawed off-   they're not going to expect me to be passive. In addition I'm pretty much geared up with what many people are looking for so I further up the ante on my "I had it coming" motto. 

At the same time, I think it would make me feel awesome to come across a bambi or someone just mooching around for stuff... have that quick little chat to establish some intentions, then just offer them some food or maybe something to drink and then just carry on our way. I'd also like to think that if I came across a murderer or bandit while they were in the act of bullying that I would be able to take a serious fight to them. 

I'm STILL chafing over that experience ZH and I had where the guys lead us into the woods to start a fire and likely ambushed us as we were setting it up... but evidently there are still good people out there! Trick is to find them- and I'm pretty sure high pop servers isn't the end of the rainbow.  

Edited by ENO75