Kirov (DayZ)

Why do people use chemlights on day-only servers?

On several occasions I noticed people use red chemlights inside the Novo town hall and for some reason I always decided not to investigate, even though the chems actually burn for quite a some time. A friend of mine tells me this is what snipers on nearby hills do to light up their targets, but I don’t know what to think of that.

The other day, I noticed a red chemlight near the jail in Turovo and sure enough, there were two guys behaving like bandits (i.e. waiting for targets instead of looting) inside. Can someone tell me what the chemlights are used for on all-day servers? And what actions do you recommend?

I always decided not to investigate, 

Two reasons

1. To scare people away, you see chemlights or flares and you instantly go : Fuck there are players here, lets haul ass double time.

2. To attract people, the see chemlights or flares and go check it out. 

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 1

I will occasionally activate a chemlight randomly as I pass through looting, just for the hell of it.

• Like 2

I will occasionally activate a chemlight randomly as I pass through looting, just for the hell of it.

Currently on Experimental i break up all of them and throw them away immediately because they dissapear when they go out, allowing another item to spawn once the chemlight is gone.

I can't confirm that this actually works, but heck, its also for the lols. It also shows me houses where i have been in already, because i really, really suck at navigating through any bigger town.

I just like to eat some ruined fruit, crack a light and dance. Eat, sleep, rave, repeat!

Na but I think you answered your own question. If you see one glowing you think it's a trap and you stay away to allow whoever threw it to loot without the worry. Also in the Novo tower I do sometimes drop one in a room I already searched. I waste time sometimes when I get to the top of the stairs I check both room on the right, then the left then forget what rooms I checked! They look a bit the same when you're standing in the stairwell. (Or maybe it's just short term memory loss from the ruined banana?)

Yep, the idea of a lure/deterrent purpose did cross my mind, it's just I doubted the effectiveness of this trick. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ones you scare away will tend to be no-gear/low-gear players, lone wolves who avoid the dodgiest locations, etc. Conversely, the ones you do attract will be high-gear groups, experienced PvP players and so on. And the Novo city hall can be a deadly trap if you get surrounded by a group.

But yeah, I agree this totally works on me when I'm by myself. A chemlight broken sure cry 'want some, get some' for a mile. :)

Kanuck, last time I checked a banana doesn't work like that. Better tell us what you have found in the woods. And where exactly. ;)

• Like 2

Yep, the idea of a lure/deterrent purpose did cross my mind, it's just I doubted the effectiveness of this trick. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ones you scare away will tend to be no-gear/low-gear players, lone wolves who avoid the dodgiest locations, etc. Conversely, the ones you do attract will be high-gear groups, experienced PvP players and so on. And the Novo city hall can be a deadly trap if you get surrounded by a group.

But yeah, I agree this totally works on me when I'm by myself. A chemlight broken sure cry 'want some, get some' for a mile. :)

Kanuck, last time I checked a banana doesn't work like that. Better tell us what you have found in the woods. And where exactly. ;)

Allow me to introduce you to this thread....shhhh, our little secret. http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/207929-what-is-this/?hl=mushroom

On several occasions I noticed people use red chemlights...

Never heard of the red light district and what the red lights are for?  :P

Edited by dirrly

People are curious things, and from what I have seen with them...taking advantage of people's curiosity can yield tactical advantages.

Two reasons

1. To scare people away, you see chemlights or flares and you instantly go : Fuck there are players here, lets haul ass double time.

2. To attract people, the see chemlights or flares and go check it out. 

Even with my basic maths I can work out that 50% of people lighting chemlights nust be wrong!

When I'm a new spawn I sometimes pick them up and run around with them on high pop servers. Sometimes running around being blatantly obvious (when you have nothing to lose) is a better tactic or at least morse fun than being careful.

Nothing better than going on a 35+ people night server and light up the NWAF's ATC with 3 flares and 5 chemlights :) and ruuuuun

Answer to question --> I don't know, I like to light these things up, I do it all the time on day servers as well (except when I want to stay unnoticed of course)

cheers

Edited by re-patch

And what actions do you recommend?

I recommend u stop playing on sissy 24/7 daylight servers and go have a look at how real men play with their chemlights on day/night servers.

I recommend u stop playing on sissy 24/7 daylight servers and go have a look at how real men play with their chemlights on day/night servers.

Uh... yes, you must be a real real man... you dare to play a computer game... where it is dark... because it's night...

In the dark! Jesus, you must be so tough. :P

I normally throw away the colours that i don't like, and i try to put them in weird places to scare people at night...no sure why people will do that in the day time thought....

It helps looting in some of the darker indoor areas as well.

Uh... yes, you must be a real real man... you dare to play a computer game... where it is dark... because it's night...

In the dark! Jesus, you must be so tough. :P

Compared to many players this is indeed extremely tough. Most of them seem afraid of the very idea that there is a nighttime on the server - which is a huge step down from being afraid of darkness. Otherwise they would not play on stupid daylight servers but on normal servers during daytime.

So basically people use chemlights mostly to fuck with other players? Well played, Survivors. Well played, indeed.

It helps looting in some of the darker indoor areas as well.

Compared to many players this is indeed extremely tough. Most of them seem afraid of the very idea that there is a nighttime on the server - which is a huge step down from being afraid of darkness. Otherwise they would not play on stupid daylight servers but on normal servers during daytime.

I do want to switch to night servers, only I'd like to do it in a fair way, not like most people adjusting their gamma and playing Dayz black and white. What source of light do you recommend? I figured pistol/weapon flashlights?

This is not to say I'm a real man enough to do that. I run away from chemlights in the broad daylight, after all... :p

Uh... yes, you must be a real real man... you dare to play a computer game... where it is dark... because it's night...

In the dark! Jesus, you must be so tough. :P

100% correct....except jesus is just a fairytale

100% correct....except jesus is just a fairytale

Good thing Santa isn't. 

• Like 2

Allow me to introduce you to this thread....shhhh, our little secret. http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/207929-what-is-this/?hl=mushroom

Oh by Jehova, I've seen the mushrooms on my own and trust me, I did ponder their medical applications. I certainly hope the devs will expand the range of... medical supplies. Right now I don't find enough Morphine for my character to develop and sustain a habit, so I gave up RPing this. :)

• Like 1

Nothing to do with fear of darkness or nighttime. Just simple greed and fear to lose all the things gathered. ;-)