RAM-bo4250

Can somebody please explain;

Where in the hell did certain people (and reading the forums there are quite a few) get the idea that this game was designed as a First Person Shooter Deathmatch game and that any sort of PvE element of the game was purely giving into those of us who see the game as much much more.

Really, Where?

Like most people I started with the mod basically buying Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead to play Dayz.

For crying out loud they are still modding the mod implementing PvE elements even today.

Why is my signature line so hard to grasp and believe. I would think that the people responsible for the game would know what they designed and its intended use. 

I'm dumbfounded. I really. really am.

• Like 2

I understand what you mean and I feel for you mate, but I've come to accept these deathmatch behavior and mostly think it comes from the fact that players can have guns in their hands. I started with the mod when it came out and the more time passed and the community became bigger, the more linear interactions became. The mod did come from an Army/War themed "simulator" and a lot of players feel the environment is just a background to player interactions. (less talk, more shooting though)

I have to say that I love my experience so far with DayZ mod and stand alone. Combining hundreds of hours, many deaths, lots of very interesting encounters and many many bugs and glitches.

The only thing I can explain is that in my opinion, most players will try and set themselves a personal theme for the game. As some play for the roleplay experience more than anything else, and loathe KoS for it breaks their interaction possibilities. While others play only for the gunplay mechanics. Even has broken and unfinished it might be, the heaviness and manipulations it requires takes it apart from other shooters like Battlefield, CoD, MoH, Halo, etc.

I love DayZ for it's a canvas. Only a few games don't really have any background story for you to follow, or try to shape your characters in a certain way. Not many RPGs have this little or no character progress at all excepting acquiring better gear, and that's very relative too. Even in many open world games, there's big scripted parts and smaller ones dotting your path along the game, making it feel linear at times.

Well, to each his own. The path is sometimes similar, and often different.

(When eventually we get mods for the stand alone, and private locked or whitelisted servers, PvE will explode and be much more available, no matter how much as been added officially.)

• Like 2

Well it is only the new comers / minority that think that, the people who play how it should and enjoy the game, do not speak their thoughts on the forums.

Unfortunately the childish nagging people are the only ones screaming their voices :)

Different people will always play the game in different ways.

I enjoy not knowing what another player is going to do, that feeling of excitement/nerves when you go into a town and the doors are open or you hear a distant gunshot.

I don't aim to kill every player I meet, I'm generally friendly and will help people if I want to, but I would be bored if everyone played the way I do because there would be no risk.

• Like 1

Where in the hell did certain people (...) get the idea that this game was designed as a First Person Shooter Deathmatch game and that any sort of PvE element of the game was purely giving into those of us who see the game as much much more.

Its probably a combination of:

1. it started as an Arma II mod
  2. thats the way they like to play
  3. third person reduces immersion and also tactical options (because of wall peeking)

I understand what you mean and I feel for you mate, but I've come to accept these deathmatch behavior and mostly think it comes from the fact that players can have guns in their hands. I started with the mod when it came out and the more time passed and the community became bigger, the more linear interactions became. The mod did come from an Army/War themed "simulator" and a lot of players feel the environment is just a background to player interactions. (less talk, more shooting though)

I have to say that I love my experience so far with DayZ mod and stand alone. Combining hundreds of hours, many deaths, lots of very interesting encounters and many many bugs and glitches.

The only thing I can explain is that in my opinion, most players will try and set themselves a personal theme for the game. As some play for the roleplay experience more than anything else, and loathe KoS for it breaks their interaction possibilities. While others play only for the gunplay mechanics. Even has broken and unfinished it might be, the heaviness and manipulations it requires takes it apart from other shooters like Battlefield, CoD, MoH, Halo, etc.

I love DayZ for it's a canvas. Only a few games don't really have any background story for you to follow, or try to shape your characters in a certain way. Not many RPGs have this little or no character progress at all excepting acquiring better gear, and that's very relative too. Even in many open world games, there's big scripted parts and smaller ones dotting your path along the game, making it feel linear at times.

Well, to each his own. The path is sometimes similar, and often different.

(When eventually we get mods for the stand alone, and private locked or whitelisted servers, PvE will explode and be much more available, no matter how much as been added officially.)

Seriously Odin, I love Dayz. I am NOT for PvE. I am NOT for PvP. I am for all of it. Without both parts it wouldn't grab me as much. It seems anytime a person is against deathmatch they immediately get accused of just wanting a game for PvE. The reason I am so against deathmatch is because of the way players do it. Without any regards for smart play. No one will ever convince me in a real scenario you would risk getting killed over a bandage or just for fun to kill somebody. I want to see a zombie horde(even a glitched  horde) come down on somebody playing stupid. This sought of play should not be catered to (i'm not suggesting the devs are btw).

• Like 3

Its probably a combination of:

1. it started as an Arma II mod       - Even so, the mod was not designed as a deathmatch game. It was designed as a survival game with PvP and PvE elements.
  2. thats the way they like to play    - And I think this playstyle should be punished by game elements, which I belive it will (ie:zombie hordes).
  3. third person reduces immersion and also tactical options (because of wall peeking) - well there are justifications for using 3PP (ie: in real life I would be able to peek without being seen). I personally play 1PP because as a game can never come close to reality, until we have holodecks, the game has to put forth some difficulties. To me 3PP is way too overpowered in a computer game

All very good points. Thanks.

well there are justifications for using 3PP (ie: in real life I would be able to peek without being seen). 

HUH? In REAL life you can NOT peak without the chance of being seen as vision follows the old "line of sight" mechanic.

If YOU can see THEM than THEY can see YOU. Whether or not they are looking in your precise location is another matter entirely.

Real life.....ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo k

Sought of a second question here - What are the sales figures like for ARMA 3? The reason I ask is that some of the naysayers of Dayz SA always bring up how good ARMA 3 is and how much fun Breaking Point is (BP ARMA2 or ARMA3 mod?). Are the player numbers comparable? If they aren't then a few people are trying to fool themselves by saying they want just PvP and deathmatch. After all isn't ARMA 3 and BP just that? Or do "most" players really do want PvE elements?

And if so why do so many want to push Dayz that way?(deathmatch I'm referring to).

Intriguing.

Arma 3 pretty easily has as many players as dayz at any given point it seems and thats even after BIS broke multiplayer with their last patch.  I play BP mod and King of the hill alot in arma 3 for now while I wait for DayZ to develop further.  But BP is also very aimed at pvp and not alot like dayz other than zombies and resource gathering.  All in all I just dont understand naysayers, variety is good imo let everyone who wants to throw a survival game on the table do it and the player population will ultimately decide what is good.

HUH? In REAL life you can NOT peak without the chance of being seen as vision follows the old "line of sight" mechanic.

If YOU can see THEM than THEY can see YOU. Whether or not they are looking in your precise location is another matter entirely.

Real life.....ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo k

This ain't necessarily so. If I'm looking out of a dark room for instance to the outside, I can see you but you can't see me. I believe that's a fundamental element of snipering. That LOS stuff you are stating is game mechanics. I can think of hundreds of instances where I may see you but you can't see me. I just stated one instance.

I'm not sure if you misunderstood me or not but usually that is the reason most people will justify third person view. They have a right to their opinion and if the game allows it so be it. I can look out of a very tiny hole in a fence for example and you couldn't see me. I don't care what kind of vision enhancing equip you use. I don't play in third person because of the inability for a computer simulation to properly simulate fidelity. 3PP is way too overpowered in computer games. We must balance this sometimes with abstraction. Only until we have holodecks in our homes of course.

All in all I just dont understand naysayers, variety is good imo let everyone who wants to throw a survival game on the table do it and the player population will ultimately decide what is good.

My intriguing question still confounds me. Why, with all the different games out there would someone choose to try and convince a developer to take his game in a direction he doesn't want to take it? Everyday naysayers are trying to push BI to make Dayz move in a certain direction even to the point of suggesting there be no zombies. BOOM. Blows my mind.

Why is my signature line so hard to grasp and believe.

Probably because simply surviving in the game is incredibly easy to do.  Until there is an actual threat besides other players, then people will treat the game as a standard shooter with the slightly elevated risk factor of losing your gear when you die.

It seems anytime a person is against deathmatch they immediately get accused of just wanting a game for PvE.

Funny, because I always get the impression that the community comes down a lot harder on users who voice the fact that they kill other players for enjoyment.

Probably because simply surviving in the game is incredibly easy to do.  Until there is an actual threat besides other players, then people will treat the game as a standard shooter with the slightly elevated risk factor of losing your gear when you die. 

Funny, because I always get the impression that the community comes down a lot harder on users who voice the fact that they kill other players for enjoyment.

Only because these same KOSers will turn around and complain about the zeds or the environment or because they can't gear up like Rambo in 5 minutes. To me both extremes are wrong. Both PvP and PvE make Dayz what it is. The middle IS Dayz. Also stupid play should be punished.

You wait. The glitched zombies right now are a placeholder. A pretty good abstarction if you ask me if the devs do make the zombies a viable threat.(I did not say the ONLY threat, I said viable threat). Watch all the bitchin and moanin when their KOS killfest is interrupted. Or they can't run through a town and get geared because of these zeds. Like I said stupid play has to be punished.

Seriously Odin, I love Dayz. I am NOT for PvE. I am NOT for PvP. I am for all of it. Without both parts it wouldn't grab me as much. It seems anytime a person is against deathmatch they immediately get accused of just wanting a game for PvE. The reason I am so against deathmatch is because of the way players do it. Without any regards for smart play. No one will ever convince me in a real scenario you would risk getting killed over a bandage or just for fun to kill somebody. I want to see a zombie horde(even a glitched  horde) come down on somebody playing stupid. This sought of play should not be catered to (i'm not suggesting the devs are btw).

Totally agree. I play 7 days to die and love how hordes effect overall gameplay.

Can't wait for the real 0.49 to come along. Currently in experimental, but it's only part of the 0.49 (mainly the character/weather system) and the rest will come with something I'm very looking forward to.

^_^

Wolves. 4pidIxN.jpg

I hope they come in packs and are fast, vicious killers. B)

I can't agree more with OP and I actively dabble in heroing and avoid straight PvP, if only for my graphic card limitations, but KST has a point - after a few deaths when you can even starve to death, the game becomes incredibly easy. You can find abundant food, water and medium gear within an hour, less if you know exactly where to run. I'm looking forward to DayZ being a gritty horror, but if you take the threat of other players away, I just end up being a well-fed guy who wears fashionable clothes, enjoys fishing and taking screenshots of cool landmarks. I'd love to see people wanting to raid the NWAF but forced to go hunting instead lest they die of hunger, but as of .48 this is still a distant dream.

Private shards, Rambo, private shards!  I'm with you on your views for the game man.

I think that when the private servers / shards and whitelisting are implemented it will help to divide the DayZ population into communities with that enjoy different aspects of the game.

Pure PvP'ers will be able to join server communities where everyone wants to deathmatch and kill each other all day long, assuming that's still a viable way to play given the server tools and all of the survival elements.  Role Players will create their own communities, just like DayZ Role Play for the mod.  And general PvE'ers will create their communities as well.

This will open up the game to a lot of possibilities, especially if you can find a well-admin'ed community with tight whitelisting.

Of course there will always still be the internet jerk sociopath grief trolls who try to get their fetish by infiltrating non PvP communities to kill the unsuspecting, but again, this will be minimized by well-admin'd communities.

I believe that some communities will think of creative and smart ways to maintain a reasonable and more "real-life" balance of risk, banditing, and being killed outright while fostering more PvE and helpful interaction, trading, etc.

Some rough ideas would include allowing banditing within a set of rules like Dayz Role Play in the mod which limit or outlaw outright KOS, to allowing individuals or groups to rotate or sign up on their forum or website for bandit / KOS rights for a given period of time, etc.

I'm like you in that I would want to maintain some real risk but really don't play DayZ for a deathmatch experience.

• Like 1

Only because these same KOSers will turn around and complain about the zeds or the environment or because they can't gear up like Rambo in 5 minutes. To me both extremes are wrong. Both PvP and PvE make Dayz what it is. The middle IS Dayz. Also stupid play should be punished.

You wait. The glitched zombies right now are a placeholder. A pretty good abstarction if you ask me if the devs do make the zombies a viable threat.(I did not say the ONLY threat, I said viable threat). Watch all the bitchin and moanin when their KOS killfest is interrupted. Or they can't run through a town and get geared because of these zeds. Like I said stupid play has to be punished.

Honestly, what it sounds like to me is you're upset with a group of people that really hasn't come into existence yet.  I don't doubt there will be people who are just playing the wrong game, and will end up complaining about zombies(assuming they're in a finished, acceptable state) because they simply interrupted a gun battle.  However I doubt it'll be as big of a nuisance as you're making it out to be once/if there are other threats to survival besides fellow players.

Edited by KyleSaysThings