0.64 Freerider

Filling magazines with rounds should take time (animations)

Filling magazines with rounds should take time (animations)  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want magazine-filling time?

• Yes.
    • No.

I own a Finnish M39 Mosin, but not a bent bolt one.  I think the bent bolts on Mosins were made simply for the ability to operate the bolt itself with a scope attached, not for the ability to use a stripper clip.

I read about that some time ago, after the basic mainfacturing the Mosings exceeding a certain quality got a bent bolt and a PU mount and then issued to snipers or designated marksmen or whatever we call them these days. I don't have such a thing, but a PU might prohibit the use of a clip, the bolt should not prevent using stripper clips ether way. I just don't see how the bolt shape could matter in any way.

• Like 2

I read about that some time ago, after the basic mainfacturing the Mosings exceeding a certain quality got a bent bolt and a PU mount and then issued to snipers or designated marksmen or whatever we call them these days. I don't have such a thing, but a PU might prohibit the use of a clip, the bolt should not prevent using stripper clips ether way. I just don't see how the bolt shape could matter in any way.

You are correct yet again.  The "bend" on the bolt is literally just the handle part of it, which when "bent," is welded into a crimp so it is turned about 90 degrees downward to where it now bends down and points at the ground when the bolt is in closed firing position.  The original standard Mosin bolt handle points outward directly to the side of the rifle's receiver when in closed firing position in contrast.

When a bolt on a Mosin is operated, the shooter grabs it and cranks it about 90 degrees upward to release it, then pulls back on it to open the chamber and eject the spent shell, or to top feed the chamber / internal 5 round magazine either manually with single rounds or with a stripper.

This means that there is about a 90 degree difference in the ending open position of the bolt handle, just like there is about a 90 degree difference in the starting closed position of a standard vs. bent bolt handle.

So when the "bent bolt" is opened, it's bent handle goes from pointing down at the ground in closed position, to pointing out perpendicular to the side of the receiver in open position rather than sticking straight upward off the top of the rifle's receiver where it would be obstructed by the scope mount.  

A bent bolt effectively operates right beneath the scope mount (and stays slightly to the side in the case of a PU scope).

Would it be necessary to add a Mosin bent bolt attachment?

The ingame Mosin has a bent bolt. Here is a picture: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosin-Nagant#mediaviewer/File:Mosin_Nagant_series_of_rifles.jpg

The one with the PU has a bent bolt, the others the normal one. Would be kind of funny if only ever tenth Mosin would fit a scope because of that in DayZ :) ... and only a PU of course.

Edited by bautschi

I like the Idea of prep before battle.  Makes you think.  Lets be honest ask any military person they have lots of magazines prepped before they go into any fight and they generally don't have that much loose ammunition around them if any. You run out of full mags you have run out of ammunition you borrow your mates (if your loading a mag in a fire fight you are out of action, bad planing and fire discipline).  When ever I have been on ops I have never had loose ammo only full mags.  Although I do agree about breaking the loading if you need it after you have run out for that last ditch effort how wouldn't in real life.  

4 hours ago, freerider3434 said:

Bump!

Really dude? A necro of 2 fucking years?

Don't do this. Make a new thread.

On 15.12.2016 at 11:03 PM, Whyherro123 said:

Really dude? A necro of 2 fucking years?

Don't do this. Make a new thread.

What's wrong with this one? There has been some discussion on the matter which would be lost by creating a new one. Don't see the benefit.

3 hours ago, freerider3434 said:

What's wrong with this one? There has been some discussion on the matter which would be lost by creating a new one. Don't see the benefit.

It was lost, 2 years ago.

Why do you think the last post before you bumped it was from 2 years ago? People found nothing else to add to the discussion.

And now they seem to do again, how baffling! People write, people vote. You don't have to stick around if you're uncomfortable ;)