nl

poor soda cans into canteen / bottle

oops *pour soda cans into canteen / bottle"

If you have an empty canteen and/or bottle and no water in the vicinity it should be possible to pour soda cans into these containers. It's realistic and could save some space in inventory. 4 cans into canteen, 3 into bottle. Maybe it should be mandatory to empty the canteen / bottle before being able to fill it with water again.

Edited by SAK
  • Like 2

No, pouring liquids with sugar into a canteen ruin it and make it a haven for bacteria.

well cool, so we would have another need for water purification pills. Seems like an excellent requirement before you can use the canteen for soda's and later use it for water again!

pouring liquids with sugar into a canteen ruin it and make it a haven for bacteria.

How is that an argument for "no"? Would actually add some depth - I like it.

well cool, so we would have another need for water purification pills. Seems like an excellent requirement before you can use the canteen for soda's and later use it for water again!

That wouldn't work unless you poured the water into a new container, thus making the contaminated vessel useless.

How is that an argument for "no"? Would actually add some depth - I like it.

Because your container is now useless, and the carbonated beverage will turn flat within an hour. Cleaning a canteen is very different than a normal container such as a vacuum flask. In the military (before the introduction of camelbaks, though the principal remains the same) less educated personnel who added cola or juice to a canteen would have to replace it or risk getting sick.

That wouldn't work unless you poured the water into a new container, thus making the contaminated vessel useless.

If only we had alcohol tincture than could be used to disinfect items.

If only we had alcohol tincture than could be used to disinfect items.

Buy a canteen for $5, fill it with cola, then try to see how easy it is to clean it. Even if you fill the vessel with disinfectant leaving no unaffected areas, you then have to purge the disinfectant and dry it before use, something that is very difficult, given it's shape and narrow point of entry.

Buy a canteen for $5, fill it with cola, then try to see how easy it is to clean it. Even if you fill the vessel with disinfectant leaving no unaffected areas, you then have to purge the disinfectant and dry it before use, something that is very difficult, given it's shape and narrow point of entry.

But it's doable, and in a world of harsh survival people would do difficult things if it helps survive. No one will say hurr durr I would rather carry 3 cans with me instead of pouring the content into one convenient canteen simply because it will get dirty and I will have to put some effort into cleaning it.  

Edited by General Zod

But it's doable, and in a world of harsh survival people would do difficult things if it helps survive. No one will say hurr durr I would rather carry 3 cans with me instead of pouring the content into one convenient canteen simply because it will get dirty and I will have to put some effort into cleaning it.  

That same short sightedness gets you diarrhea or at a best case a good waste of limited cleaning tools and a sticky canteen that smells like the token smelly 18 year old fresh out of AIT.

That same short sightedness gets you diarrhea or at a best case a good waste of limited cleaning tools and a sticky canteen that smells like the token smelly 18 year old fresh out of AIT.

Well if don't have space for three cans, I'd rather waste some cleaning supplies than leave drinks behind. 

Well if don't have space for three cans, I'd rather waste some cleaning supplies than leave drinks behind. 

Because there is a major shortage of water? Such as the common water pumps and common can spawns? A better idea would be to have the IV bag bring up hydration as thats what IV bags do IRL.

@Dale Gribble

Okay, please keep in mind we are talking about a game here...not every aspect is, can and will be completely in line with reality.

I also wonder if you understand what purification tablets do. Surely if these tablets are capable of purifying water from streams and lakes (in real life) they will be able to deal with some bacteria living on sugar. Also, after purifying the water you drink as is, no need to rinse the canteen out. All you have to deal with is a by-taste from the tablet. Also, I could care less if my soft drink goes flat in a sutvival situation, as long as it doesn't make me sick and hydrates me I'm good with it.

If you go to (way up there) the north it can indeed be hard to find water but apart from that you may want to survive for a longer period of time without exposing yourself in the open, having a way to carry more fluids that take up less space (much like the ammo box and hard case) could be a benefit.

Edited by SAK

I presume I have to assume... Everybody drinks from their canteen without it touching their lips, to prevent saliva getting into the canteen.

A pristine, disinfected bayonet / screwdriver, combined with pristine alcohol soaked rags. Canteen/water bottle Cleaner. Job Done. 

Right click, Un-combine and hey presto, thread is dead  :P

Edited by DaveZ

It's viable yeah, but I don't see why you just don't drink the soda immediately... 3 cans of soda will easily keep you hydrated enough to find the nearest water source.  If you are brown stuffed and thirsty, you are doing something wrong...

It's viable yeah, but I don't see why you just don't drink the soda immediately... 3 cans of soda will easily keep you hydrated enough to find the nearest water source.  If you are brown stuffed and thirsty, you are doing something wrong...

Sometimes I wonder, are people even reading threads before they react?

Dear doctajones, would you agree there could be more play styles than just the one you choose? Maybe a play style where one would be inclined to stay away from others for a prolonged time thus avoiding general loot spawns, bodies of water and wells?

Sometimes I wonder, are people even reading threads before they react?

Dear doctajones, would you agree there could be more play styles than just the one you choose? Maybe a play style where one would be inclined to stay away from others for a prolonged time thus avoiding general loot spawns, bodies of water and wells?

There is water literally everywhere.  And if you have 3 soda cans, you would have to go somewhere to loot....

And did you even read my post?  I said it was viable.  Or do you need a thesaurus to go with your ad hominem posts.

Should it be possible?  Sure.  Is it necessary?  I think not.

Edited by doctajones
  • Like 1

There is water literally everywhere.  And if you have 3 soda cans, you would have to go somewhere to loot....

And did you even read my post?  I said it was viable.  Or do you need a thesaurus to go with your ad hominem posts.

Agreed.

Soda is only good for fresh spawns.. since when did fresh spawns have a canteen/water bottle?

edit: If you want to save a soda.. hold it in your hands.  

Edited by DaveZ

Well excuse me but I sometimes get very tired of people on this and other forums not reading posts or ignoring arguments which in a way is just as rude as ad hominem posts. I clearly said a purpose for this suggestion could be to NOT have to go to water sources and/or loot for soda's.

I saw you called it a viable idea but in the next instance you clearly show not to have read my arguments saying 3 cans can keep you hydrated while looking for the next water source.

See the north part of Chernarus, virtually all water sources are in high traffic areas and are thus risky places.

BTW: thesaurus wise, let me see you write something in Dutch and I will accept wisecracks like that.

AklEryu.jpg

Should be possible just like it's possible to drink disinfectant i.e. stupid but possible.

Should be possible just like it's possible to drink disinfectant i.e. stupid but possible.

Explain why it is a stupid idea? Do you use hard cases and ammo boxes?

I clearly said a purpose for this suggestion could be to NOT have to go to water sources and/or loot for soda's.

I saw you called it a viable idea but in the next instance you clearly show not to have read my arguments saying 3 cans can keep you hydrated while looking for the next water source.

See the north part of Chernarus, virtually all water sources are in high traffic areas and are thus risky places.

As far as I know, sodas aren't spawning in the wilderness.  To get those sodas in the first place, you would have to venture to a loot area to even obtain them.  If you are venturing into said areas, you are most likely near a pump, river, lake or pond anyways.  If you are gonna carry those sodas until your canteen is out, then lootspace isn't a problem.

My point remains.  Should it be an option?  Probably.  Is it necessary to do?  Rarely, if ever.

As far as I know, sodas aren't spawning in the wilderness.  To get those sodas in the first place, you would have to venture to a loot area to even obtain them.  If you are venturing into said areas, you are most likely near a pump, river, lake or pond anyways.  If you are gonna carry those sodas until your canteen is out, then lootspace isn't a problem.

My point remains.  Should it be an option?  Probably.  Is it necessary to do?  Rarely, if ever.

Now we are getting somewhere. Scenario I am picturing is you make a mad, risky dash to get the loot you need and then retreat into the woods (where your tent may be) until you run out of water, food, matches and ammo (for hunting) or all of them. If I have 2 canteens and 3 water bottles I take up 10 slots but have 17 sodas on me.

Of course you could stack up on canteens and bottles, drop all other supplies you have on you in your tent except a weapon and some ammo and periodically make a run to a water source to fill all vessels you have thus minimizing risk. I am talking about options here and trying to think about survival strategies once persistence is fully implemented and dependable.

Once I'm hydrated... I'm almost always hydrated. My activity leads to find multiple water holes/pumps. I'm never thirsty.

It's flawed because soda is drank on on the spot as a fresh spawn and as a fresh spawn, finding a water container is kinda rare and soda cans keep you fine and quenched until you find a river, well or pond.   

Thirst for me has never been an issue. 

Caffeine makes you thirsty. If you stored Soda in a bottle for later.. Later you'll find water.. making the stored soda obsolete.

It's not a great suggestion... but hey.. the devs can be sadistic... they might let it happen just to fuck up new players  :D   

Edited by DaveZ

Once I'm hydrated... I'm almost always hydrated. My activity leads to find multiple water holes/pumps. I'm never thirsty.

It's flawed because soda is drank on on the spot as a fresh spawn and as a fresh spawn, finding a water container is kinda rare and soda cans keep you fine and quenched until you find a river, well or pond.   

Thirst for me has never been an issue. 

Caffeine makes you thirsty. If you stored Soda in a bottle for later.. Later you'll find water.. making the stored soda obsolete.

It's not a great suggestion... but hey.. the devs can be sadistic... they might let it happen just to fuck up new players  :D   

-I'm talking about prolonged periods of time being away from loot / water sources (not talking about your activities in the game)

-I find water bottles all the time as a fresh spawn, but they are often empty but I usually take them with me to fill 'em up as soon as possible or, if I don't have space and find something more interesting, drop 'em again.

-I'm not sure if atm it makes a difference in the game if you hydrate using soda or water but I agree that soda's should hydrate you less. I do notice many times a soda will up your energy level (sugar?) and I don't think water does the same but am not sure.

The point is, I think, that the game should allow you to make mistakes.

Pouring canned drinks into a canteen or bottle to save space, then reusing the same container later for water might sound like a good idea, if you didn't know about the risk of bacterial contamination. Yes, you might get sick - and that would teach you not to do it again.

Just because something might be bad for you, it doesn't mean the game should prevent you from doing it.