CANUCKinNZ

What if we get rid of Zombies?

Now that the title got your attention and you popped in here to flame me saying such things as, "It's a Zombie survival game!", "Go back to COD." and "what are you 12?", this is in no way a suggestion to get rid of them. I think they add a great element to the game and once it's all working properly we're going to lose half the COD fan boys and girls because we are going to need to be more stealthy and not shoot first ask questions later. (I can't wait for that day!) 

I am just wondering if you would play on a server that had no zombies once it was Beta or full release? Just good old PVP without worrying about being chased by hoards of Zombies. Would there be enough challenge? I could see it just leading to 60 people all sitting in a window waiting for someone to run by so they can pop them off with their sniper rifle. Boooorriiinnngggggg! 

Just wondering what everyone else thinks if this ever becomes and option. Would you play there? 

• Like 2

I feel like zombies tend to make it better for pvp though. You can follow them to where a person might be hiding, or if there are none in an area you can usually assume someone has been through the area without even having to go in a building to check for loot. Also if you are a fresh spawn running from a guy with a gun, you can (attempt to) use the zombies to help you 8D Also, who else would chase cows/chickens/goats/etc around towns for comical amusement? 

• Like 6

With private hives I am sure people will do this if its possible.  I for one agree with Maia, they are nice indicators of many things, despite their annoyance.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'd expect private hives to be able to scale the zombie count, but this is just guessing.

I'd say it would be both boring, and remove an element of tactical/strategic play.

Not only are zombies a good indication of where people are moving to (if they are running they're after someone or a cow) and corpses indicate recent player activity in the area.

What's more, is that Zombies are a hindrance to anyone trying to engage in, bypass, or flee from a pvp encounter.

If you're taking your time to line up the shots or be quiet to sneak in and kill/watch someone, the zombie may agg on you and both distract you/alert them as well as hit you, blur your vision, knock you unconscious and otherwise make you decide to deal with your bleeding (speed up your shots) shoot the zombie and alert the guy for sure, or switch to a silenced/melee weapon and put yourself at risk.

There's also been several times that i've done a hit and run (usually with melee) of a group of players, and while fading back from the encounter to lick my wounds i was swarmed by several zombies who wanted much of the same.  They interrupt your bandaging and can wreck your shit when you really just want to be left alone so you can go back and crack the other fellow's skull.

That said, if it can be done it will.

And what will i listen to when i'm out in the wilderness?  Green Mountain FM?  no. i want my BREACHGHTHRHHRHGHHHHCSHHHHH!! NRGL NRGL NRGL NRGL spasms through the trees.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

I absolutely think it will be an option with private hives.

Should it be an option, though? Absolutely not.

But we persevere.

• Like 5

I feel like zombies tend to make it better for pvp though. You can follow them to where a person might be hiding, or if there are none in an area you can usually assume someone has been through the area without even having to go in a building to check for loot. Also if you are a fresh spawn running from a guy with a gun, you can (attempt to) use the zombies to help you 8D Also, who else would chase cows/chickens/goats/etc around towns for comical amusement? 

I like all those points actually. I have used the other guy as zombie bait to escape a few times. Beans for you! 

Heres an example of why I could never understand how people would play with no zeds even if was an option.

My friends and I took fire, we were spread out over a 700-800m distance.

Two mosins from generally the same direction.

Im on the flank position and ask for cover fire as I hike it around to the woods.

By now these guys have killed one of ours, and shot their mosins 5+ times each.

Im working my way into position to get behind these guys and I take agro from a zed.

Im within 2 - 300m of these guys and I take agro while they shoot their guns over and over, and I hadnt shot a round yet.

Stop, pull out my axe, wait for the zed, kill zed, start running again and...

You are dead.

I would hope once things are working properly I would never have to worry about any of that situation, as the guys with the mosins would be quickly zombie food after the first couple shots.

Otherwise yeah we may as well play cod, its at least structured better for straight pvp.

DayZ without the Z just ain't DayZ.

• Like 1

It wouldn't really change much from the current game even with the respawning zombies and all. They are but a mere inconvenience in the grand scheme of player interaction.

Edited by Plexico

Zombies don't add anything to my dayz games.

They are just a janky source of frustration.

Once no zombie servers start to pop up or maybe even a server option for vanilla I would gladly join those.

+ better frame rate

+ less jank

What is there not to like.

• Like 1

If we get rid of zombies we might as well call it Rust and start naked with our penises swaying in the wind. DayZ - the Z is significant. There's a game that's like DayZ without zombies that already exists - it's called Arma. Good game and fun, quite a bit more polished and finished! But the vision is totally different.

• Like 3

But...but...zombies tell me where other people are...

I'd rather play DayZ than Day, but that's just my personal opinion. I was never into the spinoff mods that expanded hardcore PVP with crazy weaponry, even if some of them had some great features like base building. I wanted to play a zombie apocalypse game, not just an apocalypse themed PVP game.

I'm not saying one way is better than any other (I know some people like to wail on about what is "right") I just find the DayZ portrayal of survivors and their equipment compelling. PvP is fundamental, it seems to be widely accepted in pop culture and opinion nowadays that the other survivors in a zombie apocalypse could be your best allies and your worst enemies, and not knowing which is tense (however with the lack of goals for the time being its usually safe to assume the latter, lol).

But there's a nice dynamic thrown in with the PvE element of zombies. Instead of running into a town, picking up food and simply leaving, you have to deal with the zombies. Maybe someone gets hit and messes up a bit of their gear, needing to be replaced (or later, hopefully, they get sick and require some kind of medical treatment). Maybe there are a lot more zombies nearby than you thought, the last people through managed to lose a group nearby and they come for you. Maybe someone bypassing the town notices the zombie movement and likes the way your rifle looks, or some day your cobbled together mismatching coloured Lada.

If people want to create an environment via mods or whatever on private servers that allows them to solely PvP then I say go hard. I've heard a lot of people complain about DayZSA, saying its not DayZ, and it turns out they've only played Epoch or Overpoch or Overwatch. Some people want that, and the beauty of DayZ and BI games in general is the freedom to create the experience you want through modding and even just general gameplay.

Edited by Hells High
  • Like 2

Done.

got a good laugh.

Then i realised you shot indiana jones :'[

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

what a bunch of pussies!! In DayZ you fight three elements: players, zombies and bugged game itself. If you remove zombies, you can then shrink map just to area around Berezino.

• Like 2

Zombies don't add anything to my dayz games.

They are just a janky source of frustration.

Once no zombie servers start to pop up or maybe even a server option for vanilla I would gladly join those.

+ better frame rate

+ less jank

What is there not to like.

But what about when they start acting as a hoard a bit like the ones in some of the H1Z1 videos I've seen? Strength in numbers could be an issue if someone's camping in a building, down to their last bullet and every exit is surrounded by zombies. They will be better one day hopefully.

"It's a Zombie survival game!", "Go back to COD." and "what are you 12 ?"

• Like 11

"It's a Zombie survival game!", "Go back to COD." and "what are you 12 ?"

Inb4lock?

• Like 1

Now that the title got your attention and you popped in here to flame me saying such things as, "It's a Zombie survival game!", "Go back to COD." and "what are you 12?", this is in no way a suggestion to get rid of them. I think they add a great element to the game and once it's all working properly we're going to lose half the COD fan boys and girls because we are going to need to be more stealthy and not shoot first ask questions later. (I can't wait for that day!)

I am just wondering if you would play on a server that had no zombies once it was Beta or full release? Just good old PVP without worrying about being chased by hoards of Zombies. Would there be enough challenge? I could see it just leading to 60 people all sitting in a window waiting for someone to run by so they can pop them off with their sniper rifle. Boooorriiinnngggggg!

Just wondering what everyone else thinks if this ever becomes and option. Would you play there?

But why, isn't Arma made for that??

Do people buy games just based on popularity, why would you buy dayz then want to play on a server with no zombies, when there are games out there specifically made for what you are after. might as well remove hunger and thirst, while we are at it.

Edited by ld-airgrafix
  • Like 2

But why, isn't Arma made for that??

Do people buy games just based on popularity, why would you buy dayz then want to play on a server with no zombies, when there are games out there specifically made for what you are after. might as well remove hunger and thirst, while we are at it.

So excited for cold and hypothermia! Might get rid of a few more of them!

So excited for cold and hypothermia! Might get rid of a few more of them!

i think u will have a hard time playing dayz once all features are in. So will most pvp minded people.

i think u will have a hard time playing dayz once all features are in. So will most pvp minded people.

Nope, can't wait. Once stealth and crawling and crouching doesn't set off zombie agro I'm going to be in my element! I don't care about pvp much at all in this game. It's a minor unnecessary inconvenience to the overall game. I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion unless you didn't read the whole thread or my op though?

Edit for booze related grammar and spelling issues. Cheers!

Edited by CANUCKinNZ

These type of servers existed in the mod. I had a buddy who I played with a lot, then didn't see him for a while. Then I found out he was playing on a no zombies 75player server. He was one of those guys that bought arma just for dayz and had never tried it out. I showed him wasteland and the TAW domination servers.....he was hooked. Some people I think would really love the vanilla arma games for "good old PvP" its just a lot never tried them.

While im sure there will be servers like that eventually im one f those guys saying "its a zombie survival game" take away my zombies and im just playing a shiny new version of arma :)