tootights (DayZ)

Large scale battle?

This is no arma , sir.

Right, I forgot that after the apocalypse, everyone will be peaceful and dance around happily together, always working alongside eachother, never engaging in conflict, at all.

Right, I forgot that after the apocalypse, everyone will be peaceful and dance around happily together, always working alongside eachother, never engaging in conflict, at all.

Of course not. But they wouldn't be organizing battles...

Part of the DayZ experience, innit? That whole randomness thing? That's what gets the adrenalin pumping. Suddenly, stuff's at stake. If a battle is organized, everyone will ditch their "good" gear, show up with cheap-ass stuff and give zero fucks during the battle, which takes the fun out of it.

Would anyone be interested in organizing a large scale battle?

Personally I've always wanted to see a large battle take place in the big meadows and fields Gettysburg style. The large city and town battles are a dime a dozen but a 20v20 battle in the fields would be pretty cool IMO.

Pixel, I understand what you're saying and I agree with some of it. At the same time it's ok to have fun to do these kinds of battles every once and a while even if you know you're character more than likely isn't going to survive it. Crap loot? Just grab any Mosin or SKS on the way and you're set. We do community events like this with some streamers and its loads of fun and a nice change of pace from the survivor play style every once in a while.

Edited by haknslash

In DayZ, battles aren't organized, they just happen at the worst moment possible.

I can see that the troll is strong with some of you, so maybe I need to be more articulate.

What I'm asking for is some scrap between a couple groups of 10 to 20 players, ideally fighting over territory or resources. I'm not suggesting an allout military campaign. like ArmaII as you suggest.  I'm suggesting a group scrap in this game... (?) That means it'd be an chaotic mess of blood,  torn flannel shirts and pokadot bandanas, potatoes flying and who knows what else.

There are a lot of scenarios that i can think of where two large groups would battle in this environment.

I think that the more melee battle the better.

I guess it's sounding more like a bad idea now, but thanks for your input.

• Like 1

Would anyone be interested in organizing a large scale battle?

Only if it's a simulated football riot.

That means: melee weapons only and civilian clothes, preferably tracksuits/jeans with baseball/flat caps.

20-a-side, town centre location.

That'd be excellent.

• Like 4

Only if it's a simulated football riot.

That means: melee weapons only and civilian clothes, preferably tracksuits/jeans with baseball/flat caps.

20-a-side, town centre location.

That'd be excellent.

Exactly!

Small scale works better imo. If everyone on a server is in the same network bubble then it's carnage but not the way you hope.

Try coordinating a team of more than 5 people in DayZ. Especially those with zero Arma or military experience. It's worse than herding cats. More like cats with guns and everyone looks like mice.

You're better off playing Breaking Point or even just Arma.

• Like 1

you must have spent time on the canadian dayz servers :P

Of course not. But they wouldn't be organizing battles...

Part of the DayZ experience, innit? That whole randomness thing? That's what gets the adrenalin pumping. Suddenly, stuff's at stake. If a battle is organized, everyone will ditch their "good" gear, show up with cheap-ass stuff and give zero fucks during the battle, which takes the fun out of it.

Meh, it's really no different than organizing playing with your friends. You have no idea who you'd meet during the apocalypse, and selectively playing with people you know isn't realistic.

I honestly don't see any problem with it, if people do then really you must believe that switching servers at will needs to be changed.

That, and you can always store good gear on another server that's nearly empty now anyway, with persistence ingame having a stash isn't a bad idea.

you must have spent time on the canadian dayz servers :P

Probably :P.

To be fair, during the very first days of the original mod, there were far fewer people and killing was much rarer, as people tended to explore and try out all of the new stuff rather than bother with combat (both with zombies and players). Those days weren't any better (the mod was very different than it is today, much more buggy, and practically just a sandbox with weapons randomly spawning in buildings), but it was interesting, at least when you look back on it.

Edited by Chaingunfighter