Sign in to follow this  
Foxillus

How the end game should look.

So, I have read so many threads about how there are too many zombies/zombies too stronk/ect or how there should be more military/civilian weapons. I like to think that the end game should be about purely surviving. You should have to struggle to find ANYTHING. Picture Yourself struggling to find food to ease a grumbling stomach, due to fear of entering a city/town because of ZOMBIES. People are getting to focused on loot, vehicles, and pvp. Its suppose to be a zombie survival simulator. The realism in this game so far is uncanny and I love it, but, right now its not quite what I feel it should be about. I read someones post just a minute ago about how they were overwhelmed with zombies and soon died. Imagine that! Death from being attacked by so many zombies. One after the other, they should make you run for your life and try to find safety. Screw the PvP aspect, sure it will be a part of the game but the biggest fear should be to go anywhere there might even be zombies. Like on the walking dead for instance. When they went to the city in the beginning and there where hoards and hoards of zombies. They had to try and think of a way to get out of their situation. Imagine you were stuck in some building with nothing but a crowbar or some shit and you had to figure out how you were going to survive. Right now the direction its going is pretty much a endless cycle of, avoid small amounts of zombies and get a full kit. Loot is so abundant its ridiculous. You should be lucky to find even a fucking crossbow. Ammo should be so scarce you should have to reconsider using it on someone else.

Heli crash-sites, military this, high cap vest that. You should be thankful for the fucking shirt you start off with!

• Like 13

So, I have read so many threads about how there are too many zombies/zombies too stronk/ect or how there should be more military/civilian weapons. I like to think that the end game should be about purely surviving. You should have to struggle to find ANYTHING. Picture Yourself struggling to find food to ease a grumbling stomach, due to fear of entering a city/town because of ZOMBIES. People are getting to focused on loot, vehicles, and pvp. Its suppose to be a zombie survival simulator. The realism in this game so far is uncanny and I love it, but, right now its not quite what I feel it should be about. I read someones post just a minute ago about how they were overwhelmed with zombies and soon died. Imagine that! Death from being attacked by so many zombies. One after the other, they should make you run for your life and try to find safety. Screw the PvP aspect, sure it will be a part of the game but the biggest fear should be to go anywhere there might even be zombies. Like on the walking dead for instance. When they went to the city in the beginning and there where hoards and hoards of zombies. They had to try and think of a way to get out of their situation. Imagine you were stuck in some building with nothing but a crowbar or some shit and you had to figure out how you were going to survive. Right now the direction its going is pretty much a endless cycle of, avoid small amounts of zombies and get a full kit. Loot is so abundant its ridiculous. You should be lucky to find even a fucking crossbow. Ammo should be so scarce you should have to reconsider using it on someone else.

Heli crash-sites, military this, high cap vest that. You should be thankful for the fucking shirt you start off with!

• TLDR
  • Alpha
  • Game in it's current state is not a reflection of the finished product.
  • If in-game content were so scarce, we wouldn't be able to test.
  • Zombie difficulty is rather subjective.

I could make a list that goes on & on. There are many threads much like yours. My best advice is to enjoy what you have now, or come back during beta.

In the end, DayZ is still a game.

BTW welcome to the forums  :)

• Like 3

I agree that the game should be much harder, but what you may not know is that the zombies and the whole zombie apocalypse in DayZ is largely to have an 'excuse/reason' to have a game in a post-apocalyptic setting. I don't mind having hordes and a lot of zombies that scare the shit out of you and will end you if you don't act quickly and have a tiny bit of luck, BUT: it should be implemented properly and not just an endless spawn of zombies chasing you, with a partially working melee-system and clipping zombies. 

*this is not a rant, just putting things in perspective ;)

• TLDR
  • Alpha
  • Game in it's current state is not a reflection of the finished product.
  • If in-game content were so scarce, we wouldn't be able to test.
  • Zombie difficulty is rather subjective.

I could make a list that goes on & on. There are many threads much like yours. My best advice is to enjoy what you have now, or come back during beta.

In the end, DayZ is still a game.

BTW welcome to the forums  :)

Yeah I get the whole testing thing. I'm just saying it seems that people are so focused on more loot and more weapons. It would be great if the game was actually hard. I can run through 1 town and pretty much have a full kit, with few exceptions. 

I agree that the game should be much harder, but what you may not know is that the zombies and the whole zombie apocalypse in DayZ is largely to have an 'excuse/reason' to have a game in a post-apocalyptic setting. I don't mind having hordes and a lot of zombies that scare the shit out of you and will end you if you don't act quickly and have a tiny bit of luck, BUT: it should be implemented properly and not just an endless spawn of zombies chasing you, with a partially working melee-system and clipping zombies. 

*this is not a rant, just putting things in perspective ;)

I agree, it should not be an endless spawn of zombies. My point is that they should be the primary focus, in the end game! I would rather be worried about running into a pack of zeds, rather than a player thats fully decked out. People should have to group up to survive. Make a camp. The ones who are lucky enough to find a gun should be the ones to go out there and bring resources back to camp.

• Like 2

Word.

I agree what your saying, but what the developers reiterate all the time is that the reason they have early access alpha is primarily for testing. 

To list a few reasons why loot is so abundant:

- For testing purposes. 

- To test the spawn locations of loot.

- To test the amount loot spawns and how it effects the server.

- To test if the loot is spawned correctly.

- For the weapons

- To test the impact on the server.

- To test new features of different weapons.

I hope you realize I used the word "test" quite a bit. What you see now is all for testing purposes and not what you'll see end game. Like many people say it's Alpha. Lol

To address the zombies:

- Many work in-progress.

- Zombie AI

- Zombie Spawn/Amount of Spawn (Rocket did say in an interview he wanted 10k zombies on the map) Hopefully we see this feature in the near future.

- Zombie Navmesh (Pretty much completed)

- Zombie Animations (Work in progress and is one of the reasons zombie clips) The zombie animations you see in-game are place holders.

- Net Code (Work in progress) They are optimizing and working to get less dsync and lag.

- Server/Client 64-bit versions (Still work in-progress) Once these are out it'll open a lot of possibilities as in large zombie spawns.

- Collision Detection (Work in progress) They are still working on the animations and the collision detection system so zombies can detect when they collide with a physical object. 

Once the zombie issues are addressed and implemented we'll see lots of zombies. Once many of the planned features are implemented it'll be more about survival than it is about pvp. It's only like it is now with the pvp because there isn't anything else to do. And to end I'll quote myself from another post:

"It's like that now, but when they start to implement more pve features it'll force people to work together. For instance increased zombies, smarter zombies, base building, vehicles, etc...For now there is KOS, but it'll improve over time. But in my experience I've never ran into KOS. Most people I meet are nice and I help them with food and water and vice versa. Try to go into servers that says pve or doesn't have pvp in the servername. Also if they are broadcasting berizino then get out of the server..."

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/208400-im-tired-of-get-kos-wanting-a-groupindividual-to-play-with/#entry2088732

Edited by Kronons
  • Like 2

If you're playing DayZ for a zombie game you're going to end up disappointed, it's never really been about zombies and the devs have made that pretty clear numerous times.

Also, "hard" zombies are never really going to stop people from KOS or encourage those who prefer pvp to team up.  NPC ai, in any game but especially multiplayer, just isn't any where near good enough to provide an actual challenge once you figure out how to deal with it.  The result is frustrating zombies/npcs for those trying to play the pve game, and more pvp centric folk exploiting that to their advantage.

I don't see zombies being the end game, I think the opposite is true.  Zombies will be an annoyance while you gear up/build a base etc and then fairly trivial, as they are now.  Pvp will continue to be the end game, because humans are always going to be the biggest challenge.

• Like 2

Trust me, it isn't the military gear that provides for PvP. Granted you're not explicitly saying this, but I see this used all the time as a scapegoat for KOS. Which is ludicrous.

Doesn't matter if a bandit has a rock, Mosin, or an M240... they're still a bandit. Scapegoat it all you want folks, just makes me look like a rockstar. Bandits killed bambis all the same with Makarovs in the mod, no different here.

But yes, I agree that the game needs consequence. Threatening zombies are a piece of the puzzle, but only one piece. If the player would immediately get swamped by zombies if he/she fired a weapon in the big cities, then that player would think twice about doing so. And thinking twice is all I really want to have happen. It's certainly not a punishment, it's an added layer of consequence to an action.

And I absolutely agree that things need to be made harder overall, in terms of getting loot especially. Which is why I want them to severely limit the edible food/potable water loot spawns, forcing players to hunt/forage for survival. A fresh can of beans should be a lucky treat, not an everyday occurrence.

That and I disagree with treating the end-game as a fixed point. Even when people say "the end-game is what you make it," that's all well and good... but if the end-game that I've chosen is still a fixed point at which I can say "I've won," then it's still an end. Not a process.

One should always be gearing, always be surviving, always be looking for the next place to settle... the next town to clear... the next vehicle to repair... the next battery pack to feed my NVGs... the next box of 5.56 for my M4.

Problem is, now and in the mod, there's too many "have it, and have it until I die" items. So that death is the only hindrance, and when that is the case, then PvP is the only way of cycling through the game.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 3

End game shouldn't be something defined.

Is end game PvP in Novo for you? Go ahead.

Is end game sustainable homesteading in an abandoned house in the woods for you? Go ahead.

Is end game fixing up a helicopter/plane and flying out of Chernarus for you? Go ahead.

• Like 1

Balancing item rarity and respawn rate is something to be configured in the future,when the majority of items make it ingame.

Concerning the zombie factor i agree,zombies feel more like a nuisance rather than something you should be avoiding.

Zombies have integrated binocullar lenses in their eyeballs,meaning they can aggro you from miles away,sometimes they come ice-skating behind you.They hit before the animation and ruin your gear in 1 hit,there were even cases of Rocky zombies that 1 hit=insta death.They trip their asses from cliffs and ragdoll-slide all the way to the coast.

From the mod days Chernarus was a wasteland.Meaning there were never hordes or large quantities of zombies roaming around.Also they were never such a threat,

to make you look for shelter.That means that concepts such as barricading and base building will serve a PVP only oriented purpose which is kind of sad.There is so much potential...but frankly at the current state,DayZ feels like a bad version of Arma with hunger and thirst mechanics.That's not really a bad thing,but then again...you wouldn't call " The Sims" a survival game.

What don't people get about "survive as long as you can"?

**Sorry, didn't read your post, just commenting on the words 'end game' used in your title

Re-read Kronons post, because he is entirely right.

Yeah, hordes of zombies would be a real threat and should be a vital part of the finished game. Right now however, the Z's have issues. You do want hordes of zombies, but you dont want hordes of bugged zombies. And as one of the dev's stated on reddit, "fixing the zombies" is not a single issue. It's about navmesh, collision, animation, AI sensors that are all worked on simultaneously, and all of these issues is nothing you fix / fully develop in one patch, it's ongoing work.

So yeah, before you talk about the endgame, you should wait for the end of game-development.

Example given:

They had to try and think of a way to get out of their situation. Imagine you were stuck in some building with nothing but a crowbar or some shit and you had to figure out how you were going to survive.

Nice imagination. I really want that in the final game. But adding it right now would lead to hoards and hoards of zombies clipping through walls and doors and punch you to death across two floors before you even start to think about an escape route. You want that? No. Give the devs time to develop the mechanics for this to happen the right way.

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 1

I appreciate that the final balancing of loot will come much, much later down the development line, but I do think they could make some crude changes right away.

Mostly: we don't need this much food, and we don't need this many guns or ammo spawns. Even as testers, we don't need every survivor running round on full health with 3 guns and a backpack full of ammo.

If they cut the numbers of food, firearm and ammo spawns by half, there'd still be more than enough to go around for everyone to survive and probably for everyone to have a weapon - it's just that you might not (hopefully) have ammo coming out of your ears.

They could use the extra space for spawns to give us more everyday stuff like rope and knives and basic tools (stuff that really would be everywhere in DayZ's scenario), and it'd just make everything much more interesting, while still allowing us to 'test'.

• Like 1

That's not the endgame silly....that's a taco :D

HELL YEAH ITS A TACO! 83

Every zombie movie , tv series or novel is finally about finding a safe place (basebuilding) and reestablishing social structures and then defendig them against all threats...

Every zombie movie , tv series or novel is finally about finding a safe place (basebuilding) and reestablishing social structures and then defendig them against all threats...

This is my end game. (re)Building a town.

• Like 1

This is my end game. (re)Building a town.

I have JUST the job for you. I need you to build me 1000 of these......

towncloseup.jpg

If you're playing DayZ for a zombie game you're going to end up disappointed, it's never really been about zombies and the devs have made that pretty clear numerous times.

Really. Where? Point me to a dev read where they say it isn't about the zombie apocalypse and survival. You sure you ain't mixed up with CoD or BF or CZ?

I appreciate that the final balancing of loot will come much, much later down the development line, but I do think they could make some crude changes right away.

Mostly: we don't need this much food, and we don't need this many guns or ammo spawns. Even as testers, we don't need every survivor running round on full health with 3 guns and a backpack full of ammo.

If they cut the numbers of food, firearm and ammo spawns by half, there'd still be more than enough to go around for everyone to survive and probably for everyone to have a weapon - it's just that you might not (hopefully) have ammo coming out of your ears.

They could use the extra space for spawns to give us more everyday stuff like rope and knives and basic tools (stuff that really would be everywhere in DayZ's scenario), and it'd just make everything much more interesting, while still allowing us to 'test'.

This. I'm sure every one knows how an m4/akm/ak101/mosin works. We dont need so many.

Re-read Kronons post, because he is entirely right.

Yeah, hordes of zombies would be a real threat and should be a vital part of the finished game. Right now however, the Z's have issues. You do want hordes of zombies, but you dont want hordes of bugged zombies. And as one of the dev's stated on reddit, "fixing the zombies" is not a single issue. It's about navmesh, collision, animation, AI sensors that are all worked on simultaneously, and all of these issues is nothing you fix / fully develop in one patch, it's ongoing work.

So yeah, before you talk about the endgame, you should wait for the end of game-development.

Example given:

Nice imagination. I really want that in the final game. But adding it right now would lead to hoards and hoards of zombies clipping through walls and doors and punch you to death across two floors before you even start to think about an escape route. You want that? No. Give the devs time to develop the mechanics for this to happen the right way.

I didn't start this topic to really complain about the current status of alpha. I know its in development and buggy as hell. It would just be nice to see the game go in to the direction of having to actually have to survive against the infected, and that's the purpose of the game? I get that its what you make it, be a bandit, be a hero. But zombies should be the primary focus. They should be the single most important feature near completion of the game.

As for my imagination, sure that idea was a bit bland. Yeah it would be crappy to just sit there and hack at zombies with a crowbar. That's not really the point. Its the possibility that you could end up in a situation where you are out-numbered and actually have to try to survive and avoid getting surrounded. Which should happen a lot. It should be hard to get geared up and to build a base. 

TLDR - Obviously its still in alpha and has a lot of bugs. Zombies should be priority # 1, the main show. Its called, "DayZ," ffs. It's not called, "Everyone gear up and be a badass, with tons of sweet lootz." We have enough gear to sufficiently survive.

Really. Where? Point me to a dev read where they say it isn't about the zombie apocalypse and survival. You sure you ain't mixed up with CoD or BF or CZ?

Yeah that guy really has his priorities wrong but THAN AGAIN there are half of the ppl on here that think the same thing in terms of what zombies or infected SHOULD and SHOULDN'T do or be doing. lol