banjo (DayZ)

Should Rocket go sooner rather than later?

I thought the map was 25kmx25km = 625km^2.

population density per km^2 for the following max populations is

625km^2/40p=15.625km^2/pp root value ~3.95km

625km^2/60p=10.4167km^2/pp

625km^2/100p=6.25km^2/pp

the real values will be less, because part of the map is covered in water, all this in context of the map being a series of hubs with open land in-between as a transition between hubs anyway.  It's a power function decay, so you're getting diminishing losses in area per added player, and there's a practical limit to however many players a server can hold (especially at the current state of play).

that's a lot of empty space, even at 100p.  I think you're exaggerating your prediction slightly.  While there may be an increase in lower population servers, not everyone can/will run at high pop, and i'd expect player base to increase as we approach production.

But I feel the debate has become confused, because we're jumping between area of map, and increasing server size's effect on populated servers... these are separate issues.  Increasing max pop should really only increase interaction, and if loot scarcity becomes an issue they could always change some values.

The only real 'experience hinderance' would be, as i think you're hinting at, a greater divide in populated and under-populated servers, and again - i feel this is mostly a non-issue, as if the experience is hindered, people will distribute themselves across servers anyway, if it is not then some servers will close and the total population will still continue to play, albeit on a smaller number of servers.  All this assuming the player base does not expand over time.

Like i said above, and without putting words in Lady's mouth, not only is the scale large, but so is the detail.  This is not some UT2k4 onslaught map where there's tonnes of space, but play is channeled through a specific set of avenues.  Just about every point is as valid as the next, and though you'll see players congregating in hubs for loot and PvP, as posters like Katana have shown in previous threads through traces of player movements, the distribution and movements of players is random (meaning they're just as likely to be in point A than B across the whole map, at any point in time).  This comes from the room and incentive to explore based on the detail at any given point in space.

Every major game engine could infinite maps through the use of level/map streaming. Every single one.

Are you talking about some kind of iD tech megatexture, or something else?

Edited by q.S Sachiel

look at Arma 3 Breaking Point as an example. its soooooooooooooo far ahead of SA its embaressing tbh.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

When I tell you this the veins in your neck will go purple.. but don't get too mad:

To craft a gun that you can "shoot" - if you already have the gun and some other pieces - Ya have to find some bullets (and maybe "empty" them from a box) and you interact with the bullets to take out the ruined ones and you "combine" the bullets with the right magazine to craft a "loaded magazine" and then you have to interact the magazine with the gun to have a gun "charged" with the right magazine and bullets in it, and you "combine" other bits on the gun, like "sights" or a "stand" but you have to combine the right "sights" because some won't do what you want and some won't even "fit" on the gun and you need to "interact" to set the gun to "auto/semi" and "range" it. That's a lot of crafting for 1 gun !

- so it's hell of a lot more complicated than crafting a fishing rod.

But then you've crafted a working gun !

SEE - you craft, you craft, you craft, you just haven't even noticed - you think it's called shooting, you need it for "pvp", and it's the part of the game you like

. because you HATE crafting

Hi, you crafting wowtard !

You hate all this crafting and the devs have "wasted their time" on it.. you want to be given a loaded gun readymade when you log in, so you can just run around and shoot ? All the gun parts and ammo and clips and magazines and scopes and rails are a waste of time, but those weapons have wasted a lot more dev time than 1 fishing rod, 1 campfire.. right ? And they have wasted loads of time on stuff you can't even see !!  ( so right dude! )   And I guess clothes are a waste of time too ? We want a 2D shooter with nothing complicated in it. wtf.

what the crafting nerds dont realize is dayz is a pvp deathmatch pure and simple wasting time on crafting useless items when better simple content which is actually used could be done.

stop messing around with crafting just give us the stuff we need and let us shoot each other. fun is simple this game isnt chess stop messing about trying to make it such a game its not.

what the crafting nerds dont realize is dayz is a pvp deathmatch pure and simple wasting time on crafting useless items when better simple content which is actually used could be done.

stop messing around with crafting just give us the stuff we need and let us shoot each other. fun is simple this game isnt chess stop messing about trying to make it such a game its not.

loollllll...

lol.. haha..

This game isn't a pvp deathmatch, kos nerd. Go play Quake, UT, COD, CS, etc..

Not the same game.

• Like 2

I know. Truth hurts.

I've played Breaking Point.

Melee - Worse than the Mod. One axe stroke can drop 10+ zombies. I know this because I had 10+ zombies spawn and run into the barracks I was looting. Killed them all with one chop. You have to have your axe loaded like in the Mod. No real other melee weapons around. 

Zombies - No threat, the don't notice players, when they do they slowly walk toward them. They are easy to kill, move slowly and wow is the animation horrible on them. Zombies = 0 threat, at least in SA there is a chance the zombies might kill you. If they did in Breaking Point you would never admit it to anyone. They only appear in an area if players are near, just like the Mod, they despawn when players leave. So basically zombies are a flag for, "Player over here." and that is it. Much like the Mod.

Guns - Basically the ARMA III guns spawn. Wow, that was hard. Not much work into trying to put interesting guns into the world, Grab something that uses 7.62 x 51mm and find a scope for it. Not hard to find either. I was fully geared in about 3 hours of play including NVGs and GPS.

Vehicles - They slapped rusted skins on ARMA III vehicles. You need to fix them up a tiny bit, but rather easily done. 

Loot Spawns - Horrible. Seriously, they couldn't figure out how to spawn the loot other than having it spawn in containers so you can run PAST a building with a quick glance to the side to look in the door and you know if there is anything to loot. Not like SA where you might miss something even if you ran through the rooms in the house. The containers themselves are a pain since they block movement and are buggy. You can loot farm some spawns incredibly easily as well. 

What is more I was killed by a loot box. I ran up to a crash site and the box wiggled a bit. I was able to access it despite it's vibrating so I started to swap my stuff into it to put on the bigger backpack and load that up. Got the backpack and went to grab my stuff when the box started to literally fly around in loops. It struck me multiple times doing serious damage each time and finally I died from the damage it did. 

Interface - The ARMA 3 Breaking Point interface is actually worse than the ARMA 2 interface. It's painful to move things around or to "manage" your storage on your character. Saying it is worse than the mod is saying something too.

Maps - their homebrew map is "meh". Clustered military spawns close to each other, crappy cities with no reason to visit them. Kinda like the Mod.

Survival/Medical - Bleh... next to nothing involved. Clunky mechanics and very little need to do much of anything to survive. 

For the most part I think the theme for Breaking Point is "I guess that is good enough." not even with the words, "for now" added in. It just seems like they kludged some really crappy design over Wasteland, patted themselves on the back, and released it. 

The ONLY thing they did that was even half way decent was the class system. They have a fairly good concept there and executed it in fairly good manner. 

Melee - Worse than the Mod. One axe stroke can drop 10+ zombies. I know this because I had 10+ zombies spawn and run into the barracks I was looting. Killed them all with one chop. You have to have your axe loaded like in the Mod. No real other melee weapons around. 

Zombies - No threat, the don't notice players, when they do they slowly walk toward them. They are easy to kill, move slowly and wow is the animation horrible on them. Zombies = 0 threat, at least in SA there is a chance the zombies might kill you. If they did in Breaking Point you would never admit it to anyone. They only appear in an area if players are near, just like the Mod, they despawn when players leave. So basically zombies are a flag for, "Player over here." and that is it. Much like the Mod.

Guns - Basically the ARMA III guns spawn. Wow, that was hard. Not much work into trying to put interesting guns into the world, Grab something that uses 7.62 x 51mm and find a scope for it. Not hard to find either. I was fully geared in about 3 hours of play including NVGs and GPS.

Vehicles - They slapped rusted skins on ARMA III vehicles. You need to fix them up a tiny bit, but rather easily done. 

Loot Spawns - Horrible. Seriously, they couldn't figure out how to spawn the loot other than having it spawn in containers so you can run PAST a building with a quick glance to the side to look in the door and you know if there is anything to loot. Not like SA where you might miss something even if you ran through the rooms in the house. The containers themselves are a pain since they block movement and are buggy. You can loot farm some spawns incredibly easily as well. 

What is more I was killed by a loot box. I ran up to a crash site and the box wiggled a bit. I was able to access it despite it's vibrating so I started to swap my stuff into it to put on the bigger backpack and load that up. Got the backpack and went to grab my stuff when the box started to literally fly around in loops. It struck me multiple times doing serious damage each time and finally I died from the damage it did. 

Interface - The ARMA 3 Breaking Point interface is actually worse than the ARMA 2 interface. It's painful to move things around or to "manage" your storage on your character. Saying it is worse than the mod is saying something too.

Maps - their homebrew map is "meh". Clustered military spawns close to each other, crappy cities with no reason to visit them. Kinda like the Mod.

Survival/Medical - Bleh... next to nothing involved. Clunky mechanics and very little need to do much of anything to survive. 

For the most part I think the theme for Breaking Point is "I guess that is good enough." not even with the words, "for now" added in. It just seems like they kludged some really crappy design over Wasteland, patted themselves on the back, and released it. 

The ONLY thing they did that was even half way decent was the class system. They have a fairly good concept there and executed it in fairly good manner. 

Hahaha... you sir should def. stay in SA...

your a perfect fit for it...

Honestly I like Dean, I think he's a great guy. Why he is leaving I don't know I really wish he'd focus on this more but at least he is presuing his ultimate game I wish him the best of luck in the future

Honestly I like Dean, I think he's a great guy. Why he is leaving I don't know I really wish he'd focus on this more but at least he is presuing his ultimate game I wish him the best of luck in the future

I don't know how he will attract investors or team members for his next game seeing how he is leaving his first one before it's complete. I guess I don't understand game companies and development.

loollllll...

lol.. haha..

This game isn't a pvp deathmatch, kos nerd. Go play Quake, UT, COD, CS, etc..

Not the same game.

all the busiest servers ever in dayz were pvp deathmatch.

they have tried to turn people from what they like into crafting nerds.

people dont want leather underwear they want to kill each other and zombies. it that simple.

no pvp sowing baskets lol in a zombie apocolypse survival guide :lol:

does it even need pointing out ?

• Like 1

why does he have to stay ? he has achieved what he neeed to progress = money.

so now he can build his own studio attract people to work with for him and do what he likes. whether that will be a success is a different matter.

many people can have a great idea carrying out what is needed to make that idea is a success.

luckily he was at the right place at the right time. would he have done this if he didnt work at BI ? most likely not.

cant fault him on how the idea worked for the mod. the SA though has been handled terribly though.

Yeah SA's model of having to use 3+ bandages due to guaranteed bleeding and only use an axe weapon as all non axe weapons are useless to kill a zombie effectively is superior. And say goodbye to that shirt you were wearing and anything in it.

Zombies - No threat, the don't notice players, when they do they slowly walk toward them. They are easy to kill, move slowly and wow is the animation horrible on them. Zombies = 0 threat, at least in SA there is a chance the zombies might kill you. If they did in Breaking Point you would never admit it to anyone. They only appear in an area if players are near, just like the Mod, they despawn when players leave. So basically zombies are a flag for, "Player over here." and that is it.

Implying the zombies in SA that run through walls, respawn like legion, and never appear in numbers greater than 4 is better.

Much like the Mod.

Because Breaking point isn't a mod or anything.

Guns - Basically the ARMA III guns spawn. Wow, that was hard. Not much work into trying to put interesting guns into the world, Grab something that uses 7.62 x 51mm and find a scope for it. Not hard to find either.

Incorrect, the guns in ArmA 3 use fantasy space names to skirt IP use. BP guns are reskinned or renamed to real world counterparts. They also shoot farther than 50 meters unlike the firearms in SA.

Place holder, originally items spawned in the ground but had to be reworked for IP issues. 

What is more I was killed by a loot box.

Because no one playing SA has been killed by walking up stairs or a zombie attacking them on a different floor in a building.

It's ArmA 3's interface, you can't blame the BP devs, as BP is a mod for ArmA 3.

Comparable to the same repeated towns being added in to the SA map to "expand" it without increasing overall map size.

The difference is the team designing breaking point did it for free and released a working model before the Standalone and made it a very enjoyable experience. Right now all the standalone has going for it, is fans can type "Its an Alpha" to defend it's short comings and a more detailed clothing system.

all the busiest servers ever in dayz were pvp deathmatch.

This is the truth. There is no denying that the vast number of people playing DayZ want to play it like a deathmatch. I am thankful that they are finally adding in survival elements. At some point, however, I would like to see multiple game modes with varying amount of survival, pvp and social elements. There is no reason, in my opinion, this game should be limited to just one playstyle.

you only have to see the most popular games revolve around slaughtering each other. same as big action films people want action not basket weaving club.

Wow, this forum has really reached an all time low allowing this thread to exist through 9 pages of a personal attack against a BiS employee.

• Like 1

Wow, this forum has really reached an all time low allowing this thread to exist through 9 pages of a personal attack against a BiS employee.

Questioning Rocket's leadership ability isn't really a personal attack. And most people in this thread have either defended him or don't care either way. :)

Excuse me while we have a moment silence to reflect on the hurt feelings of a guy who can now buy Tesla's and 100,000 dollar mountain trips thanks to us fans.

Are you freaking serious man? We want the game to be better. What is wrong with that?

• Like 1

Questioning Rocket's leadership ability isn't really a personal attack. And most people in this thread have either defended him or don't care either way. :)

Questioning any of the developers decisions is an attack against them.  This whole thread is Rockets sucks and can't lead.  The moderators of this forum should feel ashamed for even letting this get past one page.

Excuse me while we have a moment silence to reflect on the hurt feelings of a guy who can now buy Tesla's and 100,000 dollar mountain trips thanks to us fans.

Are you freaking serious man? We want the game to be better. What is wrong with that?

Wanting a better game and insulting the person who created the idea of DayZ is horseshit. 

Hell, you don't even make any constructive posts on how to make DayZ a better game.  You just bitch and moan and complain about everything. 

Edited by Caboose187

Wanting a better game and insulting the person who created the idea of DayZ is horseshit.

Hell, you don't even make any constructive posts on how to make DayZ a better game. You just bitch and moan and complain about everything.

It's obvious what needs to be done to make the game better. We shouldn't have to tell the project leadership what to do, they should have been doing it since before the alpha launch. I think they are fixing it now so I am given some positive comments on that. They are now rebuilding the engine after many, many months of knowing it wouldn't hold up. That's why people are questioning the sense of direction and leadership, because of the past choices or lack of executive decision.

It's an executive decision to rebuild the engine because it's a large job requiring tons of resources. So people are questioning why someone did not make the executive decision earlier to start rebuilding the engine or purchase another engine for the concept.

Theses are legit questions and concerns. You seem to feed off of belittling anyone who talks negatively about the game. The fact that they allow this thread and don't delete does impress me that they are open to concerns and I thank them for that.

Questioning any of the developers decisions is an attack against them.  This whole thread is Rockets sucks and can't lead.  The moderators of this forum should feel ashamed for even letting this get past one page.

Yea, I know right.?Any critic threads should be closed immediatly. We can't have any of that. This forum is only a place for worshipping Rocket. Asking critical questions about the development of the game should be forbidden.

Yea, I know right.?Any critic threads should be closed immediatly. We can't have any of that. This forum is only a place for worshipping Rocket. Asking critical questions about the development of the game should be forbidden.

Learn the difference between criticizing the game and outright atracking a developer before opening your yap.

Learn the difference between criticizing the game and outright atracking a developer before opening your yap.

Learn the different between criticizing and attacking a developer? That's rich coming from you.

Learn the different between criticizing and attacking a developer? That's rich coming from you.

First, learn to read. Criticizing the "game" and attacking a developer.

First, learn to read. Criticizing the "game" and attacking a developer.

For you it's all "attacking". The game,a developer it doesn't matter. Critic is for you always an insult or attack or whaterver.Is someone criticizing the game or a developer its insulting or attacking. Never critic.